ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers to hire Arthur Smith as OC per reports

BTisinDC

Redshirt
May 25, 2020
I would expect to see power running game, play action, and possible inside track to bringing in Ryan Tannehill if he's not holding out for a starting job somewhere. Hope we bring a qb coach in as well.

They'll continue failing, maybe win ugly just enough for the 7th seed and blown out in the wild card round because of an inability to score points, set the over/under on Kenny's TD passes at 10, I'll take the under, predicting 17ppg and a 9-8 record.

Reactions: 303vND
They'll continue failing, maybe win ugly just enough for the 7th seed and blown out in the wild card round because of an inability to score points, set the over/under on Kenny's TD passes at 10, I'll take the under, predicting 17ppg and a 9-8 record.
I have no idea as to why they do not consult you...as for me, I have no idea as to how he will do in this role for the Steelers..

Reactions: SteelerPittFan87
I have no idea as to why they do not consult you...as for me, I have no idea as to how he will do in this role for the Steelers..
Don't consult me, consult some of the dozens of teams in the league that regularly are outperforming them on the offensive side of the ball and that easily crush them by getting an insurmountable, giant lead they can't overcome, like TEN

Don't consult me, consult some of the dozens of teams in the league that regularly are outperforming them on the offensive side of the ball and that easily crush them by getting an insurmountable, giant lead they can't overcome, like TEN
like I said...obviously you know things they did not consider...guessing they went into a room a flipped a coin or something without giving it much thought...

I have limited hope for Kenny, but you've jumped the shark.

I have limited hope for Kenny, but you've jumped the shark.
How do you figure? I'm not saying I know more than them, just saying there are dozens of coaching staffs who are professionals, who IMO are better and choose better offensive schemes and philosophies than they do. If we had a smart coaching staff like KC, SF, Rams I would be fully supportive of their superior philosophy, maybe you like obsolete Stillers Football, I just hate it, hate conservative offense, love passing the ball, and now more than ever miss Ben. Doesn't mean I'm saying I'm smarter than Tomlin, just that there are dozens of teams whose philosophy I prefer. part of it is I love watching aggressive modern offense, even if the record is the same and they still lose the wild card game, I'd still rather watch TDs and yardage by my side than a 13-10 win.

How do you figure? I'm not saying I know more than them, just saying there are dozens of coaching staffs who are professionals, who IMO are better and choose better offensive schemes and philosophies than they do. If we had a smart coaching staff like KC, SF, Rams I would be fully supportive of their superior philosophy, maybe you like obsolete Stillers Football, I just hate it, hate conservative offense, love passing the ball, and now more than ever miss Ben. Doesn't mean I'm saying I'm smarter than Tomlin, just that there are dozens of teams whose philosophy I prefer. part of it is I love watching aggressive modern offense, even if the record is the same and they still lose the wild card game, I'd still rather watch TDs and yardage by my side than a 13-10 win.

Pretty simple, we beat Ten, so saying they had an insurmountable lead is factually wrong.

Seriously dude. You and these other bitchers don’t know a damn thing about this guy or any other candidate. Didn’t matter who they hired you guys were chomping at the bit to bitch 8 months in advance. You need to stfu. If he sucks then bitch.

Pretty simple, we beat Ten, so saying they had an insurmountable lead is factually wrong.
I'm talking more about games like SF and Houston, I want an offense where if our defense gives up 30, scoring 31 or more is something we do often, so we can still win.

Looks like the Steelers need to supplement this new OC hire with a QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator. Someone with a history of QB/passing success.

Go Pitt.

Smith was probably the best candidate they interviewed and also not the best candidate we would've liked to have seen hired. It'll be an offense that can win to a certain point. I think I prefer what Narduzzi did. He took a chance on a young coordinator rather than what we already know. When you are struggling, swinging for the fences can be worth the gamble.

Now it'll be interesting to see what other moves they have on the staff.

Reactions: ShipofFools
Smith was probably the best candidate they interviewed and also not the best candidate we would've liked to have seen hired. It'll be an offense that can win to a certain point. I think I prefer what Narduzzi did. He took a chance on a young coordinator rather than what we already know. When you are struggling, swinging for the fences can be worth the gamble.

Now it'll be interesting to see what other moves they have on the staff.
How many candidates did they interview, 2 or 3? Other than Smith it was the Carolina OC and then the Texans QB coach, can’t recall if they were talking about interviewing him or actually did. In any case, doesn’t sound like an exhaustive search.

But once they interviewed Smith and reading his background, did anyone not think he was going to be hired??

How many candidates did they interview, 2 or 3? Other than Smith it was the Carolina OC and then the Texans QB coach, can’t recall if they were talking about interviewing him or actually did. In any case, doesn’t sound like an exhaustive search.

But once they interviewed Smith and reading his background, did anyone not think he was going to be hired??
Those are the only three. He’s not a bad hire, just not the direction I was hoping. Based on how the new regime is actually building the team, he’s actually a good hire. He fits the vision.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Those are the only three. He’s not a bad hire, just not the direction I was hoping. Based on how the new regime is actually building the team, he’s actually a good hire. He fits the vision.
He may fit the vision, but the rest of the NFL has a different vision with a more wide open offense. I am at the point of trying to figure out which ownership is more incompetent ours or Dallas.

He may fit the vision, but the rest of the NFL has a different vision with a more wide open offense. I am at the point of trying to figure out which ownership is more incompetent ours or Dallas.
They don't have a QB and given Smith got a 3-year deal, on the surface it doesn't seem like they'll be trying to find an upgrade anytime soon.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
They don't have a QB and given Smith got a 3-year deal, on the surface it doesn't seem like they'll be trying to find an upgrade anytime soon.

It seems like all the coordinators are getting 3 year deals, not sure I'd read into it much.

Reactions: pittdan77
Pitt is missing the boat. Fire Narduzzi. Hire Art Smith. All of our NIL issues are instantly gone away like a crashed plane on a deserted island.

• Haha
Reactions: 303vND

I don’t know if Smith will be successful here or not but Tomlin definitely wants to run the type of offense that Smith ran with the Titans in 2019-2020. With Smith we know the running game will be good, the concern is how effective the passing game will be.

In 2019 Smith ‘s O was ranked 10th and 2020 2nd. We will all take being ranked between 2nd and 10th on O in 2024. I looked at Tannehill’s stats those years and he threw for 55 TDs and only 13 ints. He also completed about 67% of his passes for about 6,500 yds so maybe, the passing game in 2024 can be good.

Smith is a safe hire. You pretty much know exactly what you're going to get. It doesn't stray too far from what they had, yet it's a guy who's had more success.

Don't love it or hate it. I always thought Tannehill was a good Kenny comparison.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT