ADVERTISEMENT

Success of the ACC Network

The performance of the ACC network is pretty wild considering that FSU and Clemson are almost never slotted for network games and still getting huge growth in ratings. But yeah, ACC schools really need that off-ramp to the Big12.

The Big 12 that doesn't have its own network.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

ACC Network has been one of the better TV moves with ESPN in the last 15 years
And ESPN KNOWS it! ;)

The Big XII and hoopie sympathizers on here know it, too. Despite some of the nonsense and disinformation they insist on spewing.

This article says the in-market fees are for Northern California and Dallas only. Thought it was all of California and Texas.

This article says the in-market fees are for Northern California and Dallas only. Thought it was all of California and Texas.

Why would it be? There are 0 SMU fans outside Dallas and close to 0 Cal/Stanford fans outside the Bay Area. Also, these in-market fees are only for satellite providers. I dont think they are going to get ACCN on the basic cable tier out there until the next ESPN contract is up with those cable companies. When they do though, that will be pretty massive. You'd think maybe an extra $3 million or so per year per school.

Why would it be? There are 0 SMU fans outside Dallas and close to 0 Cal/Stanford fans outside the Bay Area. Also, these in-market fees are only for satellite providers. I dont think they are going to get ACCN on the basic cable tier out there until the next ESPN contract is up with those cable companies. When they do though, that will be pretty massive. You'd think maybe an extra $3 million or so per year per school.
The ACCN is available out west on sling and YouTube tv and I think Hulu plus. If you are a sports fan you are more likely to be streaming those services that plunking down 100s for cable tiers.

The ACCN is available out west on sling and YouTube tv and I think Hulu plus. If you are a sports fan you are more likely to be streaming those services that plunking down 100s for cable tiers.

Yea, but cable is where the money is made. I dont think there is any "premium" fee that ESPN gets for YouTube TV/Sling/Hulu Live/Fubo subscribers in ACC markets like they do for cable.

I have cable. It's just easier, even though I really only watch tv during football season. But it's $240/month. What is it without cable... $200/month now? Cutting the cord doesn't seem to produce the savings it once did.

$167.36 for Verizon Fios with YouTube TV. No HBO or Showtime. I pay separately for Netflix and will cancel that soon when I'm done watching what I want and then get HBO for a year or so, then cancel that and go back to Netflix.

The savings arent what they were. But for me, its so much more convenient. It has an unlimited DVR so I literally have every sporting event from pretty much every league set to record. If I ever want to watch something, its there.

The performance of the ACC network is pretty wild considering that FSU and Clemson are almost never slotted for network games and still getting huge growth in ratings. But yeah, ACC schools really need that off-ramp to the Big12.

Yet the per school conference payout is about the same?

Yet the per school conference payout is about the same?
Let’s revisit this next spring when the 2023-24 revenues are released 🙂 my over/under for the gap between the ACC’s per school payout and the Big 12’s is $6M.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
$167.36 for Verizon Fios with YouTube TV. No HBO or Showtime. I pay separately for Netflix and will cancel that soon when I'm done watching what I want and then get HBO for a year or so, then cancel that and go back to Netflix.

The savings arent what they were. But for me, its so much more convenient. It has an unlimited DVR so I literally have every sporting event from pretty much every league set to record. If I ever want to watch something, its there.

Well I'm about to be down to $210, because this thread just reminded me to cancel cable on my two TVs upstairs. I think I watched about 5 minutes of the Texas/Washington playoff game on one of them, and that's the only time I remember using cable on either of them in the better part of a decade. I just replaced the one with a fire tv, and I'll be doing the same with the other. Then I also found out they've been charging me for Starz for the past seven years, haha. I never signed up for that.

Point being... the savings would be even less now. Just not worth it for me. If these "all sports" apps ever take off, I'll gladly cancel everything. Though I much prefer flipping through different games the traditional way.

Well I'm about to be down to $210, because this thread just reminded me to cancel cable on my two TVs upstairs. I think I watched about 5 minutes of the Texas/Washington playoff game on one of them, and that's the only time I remember using cable on either of them in the better part of a decade. I just replaced the one with a fire tv, and I'll be doing the same with the other. Then I also found out they've been charging me for Starz for the past seven years, haha. I never signed up for that.

Point being... the savings would be even less now. Just not worth it for me. If these "all sports" apps ever take off, I'll gladly cancel everything. Though I much prefer flipping through different games the traditional way.

I'm sure ESPN will figure out how to keep forcing people to keep cable to watch football, because those per subscriber fees are the cash cow.

I'm sure ESPN will figure out how to keep forcing people to keep cable to watch football, because those per subscriber fees are the cash cow.

Yeah, it's very possible. Plus, I suspect all the app fees will just keep increasing. Like I pay over $30/month just to listen to music now between NUGS and Spotify. I don't even want to know what I'm paying for all the TV apps I don't use.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Bottom line for me is that I have to utilize Comcast internet. There aren’t any other options for me. So combining comcast internet with YouTube TV isn’t really going to save me much. So cable it is for this guy.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I have cable. It's just easier, even though I really only watch tv during football season. But it's $240/month. What is it without cable... $200/month now? Cutting the cord doesn't seem to produce the savings it once did.
Same. I have watched enough of my buddies fumbling around between streaming service platforms at game watch gatherings they have organized, and not knowing where to find what they're looking for due to not having a comprehensive channel guide, having to switch apps, etc. "It's halftime--flip on the _____ game." "Oh I don't have that channel." Add to that the mishmash of subscription costs and apps and I'd rather just pay more for convenience and consistency.

I'll stick with Xfinity and their exorbitant monthly charges until the logistical challenges of streaming can be resolved.

im very surprised by this network doing well. im happy but surprised. they seem to never get the big conference games, in hoops or football. and no non game content at all to speak.

if i watch that duke documentary "The class that saved coack K" one more time im going to carve my own eyeballs out of my head with a dull rusty spoon..

Bottom line for me is that I have to utilize Comcast internet. There aren’t any other options for me. So combining comcast internet with YouTube TV isn’t really going to save me much. So cable it is for this guy.

I used to do Comcast Internet + YTTV and the savings were good. Now I do Fios + YTTV. You cant get Fios?

It kind of sucks that they coincide with the nicest weather of the year, but college football Saturdays are what I look forward to the most all year. Watching GameDay, flipping through games from noon until late at night, etc. It's just so great, and so convenient with cable, lol.

It kind of sucks that they coincide with the nicest weather of the year, but college football Staurdays are what I look forward to the most all year. Watching GameDay, flipping through games from noon until late at night, etc. It's just so great, and so convenient with cable, lol.
dude, freaking craving some college football. any college football. mac, mnt west, psac, i dont care.

was up at bar few days ago, nothing on, pirate rerun (they played in afternoon) and was thinking what i wouldnt give to have a damn college game on now..

Same. I have watched enough of my buddies fumbling around between streaming service platforms at game watch gatherings they have organized, and not knowing where to find what they're looking for due to not having a comprehensive channel guide, having to switch apps, etc. "It's halftime--flip on the _____ game." "Oh I don't have that channel." Add to that the mishmash of subscription costs and apps and I'd rather just pay more for convenience and consistency.

I'll stick with Xfinity and their exorbitant monthly charges until the logistical challenges of streaming can be resolved.

There is no difference between sports game availability between YTTV, Sling, etc and cable. Except YTTV doesnt have SportsNet Pittsburgh. Beyond that, if I swapped your Comcast for YTTV and just told you that Comcast changed their settings on their guide, you'd think it was still Comcast.

I have to ask--what happens if you try to take that Chuck T away from Bowser?

Makes me thankful my dog only goes for socks and hair ties. Yours has far more expensive tastes.

im very surprised by this network doing well. im happy but surprised. they seem to never get the big conference games, in hoops or football. and no non game content at all to speak.

if i watch that duke documentary "The class that saved coack K" one more time im going to carve my own eyeballs out of my head with a dull rusty spoon..

ACC Network games are the worst. It's either a completely non-competitive game or a game between two scrub teams in front of 23,000. The production is beyond awful. I remember hearing the wind blow the entire time during our game at Duke High School in 2021. The sound; the announcers; the commercials; the time slots... it's so third-class.

I'm glad it's doing well. I just hate when my team is playing on it.

I used to do Comcast Internet + YTTV and the savings were good. Now I do Fios + YTTV. You cant get Fios?
I don’t know why it is, but my neighborhood is 20 years old and Fios was “coming” the day we moved in when we were the 4th house built back then. We are still waiting.

It might be time to re-explore. Now that I’m paying for a sports package and I bit the bullet and now subscribe to the PGH sports channel from Fenway Sports Group, maybe my delta is $30-40 plus? Not sure. What’s your monthly cost?

dude, freaking craving some college football. any college football. mac, mnt west, psac, i dont care.

was up at bar few days ago, nothing on, pirate rerun (they played in afternoon) and was thinking what i wouldnt give to have a damn college game on now..

Yeah, college football is probably the only sport I look forward to that goes beyond just my team. Like if the Steelers suck this year, the whole NFL can kiss off. But if Pitt sucks, I'll still watch for hours every Saturday.

It kind of sucks that they coincide with the nicest weather of the year, but college football Staurdays are what I look forward to the most all year. Watching GameDay, flipping through games from noon until late at night, etc. It's just so great, and so convenient with cable, lol.
Gameday is my favorite sports programming bar none. After I watch that to start a Saturday morning I no longer feel the need to watch any of the games.

I have to ask--what happens if you try to take that Chuck T away from Bowser?

Makes me thankful my dog only goes for socks and hair ties. Yours has far more expensive tastes.
I’m happy to answer your question but it went way over my head. What are you asking me?

Gameday is my favorite sports programming bar none. After I watch that to start a Saturday morning I no longer feel the need to watch any of the games.

That used to be how I felt about Pitt football before we finally had a little success in '21. With recruiting and all the off-season stuff, it was always Christmas Eve and never Christmas. I started to wonder if I enjoyed the season-round hope I was selling myself more than the games themselves, haha.

Luckily, the early signing period, NIL, and ubiquitous transferring took care of that. I no longer care much about recruiting.

Reactions: USN_Panther
ACC Network games are the worst. It's either a completely non-competitive game or a game between two scrub teams in front of 23,000. The production is beyond awful. I remember hearing the wind blow the entire time during our game at Duke High School in 2021. The sound; the announcers; the commercials; the time slots... it's so third-class.

I'm glad it's doing well. I just hate when my team is playing on it.
Exactly how I feel. about it. It's bush league.

It doesn't help that Pitt is the only team in the entire league that I can bring myself to watch. Not sure how anyone can watch the likes of a Wake, UNC, NCSU, UVA, BC etc., even their alums.

Yeah, college football is probably the only sport I look forward to that goes beyond just my team. Like if the Steelers suck this year, the whole NFL can kiss off. But if Pitt sucks, I'll still watch for hours every Saturday.
i do fantasy in nfl for one reason, and that's just to force me to pay attention to non steelers games. im with you though, i could care less about any non steeler game (outside if i have a guy on my FF team playing)..

but i'll watch ball state vs air force at 11pm on a saturday night and love it..

Last edited:
That used to be how I felt about Pitt football before we finally had a little success in '21. With recruiting and all the off-season stuff, it was always Christmas Eve and never Christmas. I started to wonder if I enjoyed the season-round hope I was selling myself more than the games themselves, haha.

Luckily, the early signing period, NIL, and ubiquitous transferring took care of that. I no longer care much about recruiting.
SMF started a recruiting thread recently that when I saw it I thought to myself that 5 years ago it would have been an interesting thread. Now I can’t even bring myself to click into it. Not even out of curiosity. I have literally less interest in high school recruiting than I do the NBA…which is already at zero.

SMF started a recruiting thread recently that when I saw it I thought to myself that 5 years ago it would have been an interesting thread. Now I can’t even bring myself to click into it. Not even out of curiosity. I have literally less interest in high school recruiting than I do the NBA…which is already at zero.

Yeah, it's pretty anticlimactic now. Those December/January visits and recruiting battles were exciting as heck. Between that, the WPIAL going downhill, transfers, and Pitt not landing tooo many studs these days.... eh, I'll just learn the names in September. I used to be able to name all 85 scholarship guys and tell you where they're from. I might be able to name 50 now, if I'm lucky.

Your dog has a gray Chuck Taylor under his paw. Looks to me like he wouldn't be too keen on giving it up.
If I understand you correctly, you’re equating Comcast cable to an old shoe or old habit that I’m not ready to give up. But in a small way, that’s true. The Comcast interface, app, etc are all easy to use and I know that my kids and I can all login remotely and watch. But I was interested in YouTubeTV and could have easily see myself subscribing while I was trialing it, but the cost difference was nominal unless I switched to a wireless internet from T-Mobile or Verizon. And there is something interfering with the tower because my neighbors can get it but it’s unavailable to me. I think YouTubeTV + wireless internet was less than $100 (before add-ons) which is well worth the switch. I just am unable to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT