ADVERTISEMENT

Tarps

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
We turn on the TV at 3:30 and watch the best teams through the evening. The majority of these games are important, well attended and exciting.

But with sold out attendance, these games are the exception and not the rule. I am betting that the majority of P5 teams do NOT sell out and have empty seats every Saturday

The problem sadly, is far far more visible at Pitt.

Should Pitt tarp the end zone, the fallout from opposing recruiters will be loud and offensive. But after some time....the tarp will just be a part of Heinz Field on Saturdays and opposing recruiters will find something else to kill Pitt with.

At the same time.....with other schools having too many empty seats, the idea of tarping will start to make sense, particularly when you can advertise as well.

Pitt is going to tarp the end zone, but we will not be alone. Going forward there likely will be various sized tarps (with advertising), at the majority of venues across the country.

talked to some guys at my local watering hole about this. its coming to Pitt

Im not sure about other schools but if advertising dollars are out there it may in fact catch on

Solid post from Las P.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
We turn on the TV at 3:30 and watch the best teams through the evening. The majority of these games are important, well attended and exciting.

But with sold out attendance, these games are the exception and not the rule. I am betting that the majority of P5 teams do NOT sell out and have empty seats every Saturday

Should Pitt tarp the end zone, the fallout from opposing recruiters will be loud and offensive. But after some time....the tarp will just be a part of Heinz Field on Saturdays and opposing recruiters will find something else to kill Pitt with.

At the same time.....with other schools having too many empty seats, the idea of tarping will start to make sense, particularly when you can advertise as well.

Pitt is going to tarp the end zone, but we will not be alone. Going forward there likely will be various sized tarps (with advertising), at the majority of venues across the country.
Pitt needs more $ and a better Gameday atmosphere. Advertising brings in $ that empty seats do not bring in, downsizing the stadium will create more of a demand, and the atmosphere will be improved with people in closer proximity. It is a no brainer.

I suppose six or seven days a year are important to a young man...seems the names Larry, Shady, Darelle, etc would carry more weight in the recruiting game. I think the urban campus just doesn't cut it for most recruits...moreso than the game day experience.

I suppose six or seven days a year are important to a young man...seems the names Larry, Shady, Darelle, etc would carry more weight in the recruiting game. I think the urban campus just doesn't cut it for most recruits...moreso than the game day experience.

Funny, Wanny sold recruits just fine , cop out, excuses , whatever

Reactions: JokePa
yes, the kids playing college football today all seem like country lads uncomfortable in an urban setting. I see your point.

I really don't want ads on our tarps. That just seems so bush league. I want giant Pitt script or maybe take down the retired number banners and put all of those guys on the tarps instead. It is sad enough as it is that this is what needs done. If you put ads on them it screams please make fun of us, we are in sad shape and it would look corny too.

Reactions: vegasgreed and BFo8
I really don't want ads on our tarps. That just seems so bush league. I want giant Pitt script or maybe take down the retired number banners and put all of those guys on the tarps instead. It is sad enough as it is that this is what needs done. If you put ads on them it screams please make fun of us, we are in sad shape and it would look corny too.

Pitt is not going to put ads on the tarps. That is such a stupid idea and won't even be considered. If we tarp, it will be a neat looking design that will enhance the look, not detract with it with big UPMC and People's signs

1zrhay.jpg

Pitt might be last in percentage of the stadium filled after this season is over. We are hovering around 52-53% right now.

School Average Attendance Percent Filled (2016)
Oklahoma 86,857 106%
Ohio State 107,278 105%
Nebraska 90,200 104%
Kansas State 51,919 104%
Michigan 110,468 103%
Utah 46,506 102%
Baylor 45,838 102%
Ole Miss 64,910 101%
Oregon 54,677 101%
Alabama 101,821 100%
Georgia 92,746 100%
Notre Dame 80,795 100%
Michigan State 74,667 100%
NC State 57,497 100%
TCU 45,168 100%
Texas A&M 101,917 99%
LSU 101,231 99%
Tennessee 100,968 99%
Florida 87,846 99%
Auburn 86,937 99%
Clemson 80,970 99%
Wisconsin 79,357 99%
Iowa 69,656 99%
Texas 97,881 98%
Louisville 54,065 98%
Arkansas 69,581 97%
Houston 38,953 97%
Washington State 31,675 97%
South Carolina 76,920 96%
Virginia Tech 63,043 96%
Texas Tech 58,250 96%
West Virginia 57,583 96%
Mississippi State 58,317 95%
Penn State 100,257 94%
Florida State 76,800 93%
Colorado 46,609 93%
Washington 64,589 92%
BYU 58,569 91%
Miami 58,572 90%
Oklahoma State 53,814 89%
Kentucky 53,643 88%
Stanford 44,142 88%
Arizona 48,288 87%
Iowa State 52,557 86%
Georgia Tech 47,503 86%
Rutgers 44,804 85%
Wake Forest 26,456 84%
Minnesota 43,814 83%
Oregon State 37,622 83%
Indiana 43,027 82%
North Carolina 50,250 80%
Vanderbilt 31,242 77%
Maryland 39,615 76%
California 46,628 75%
Illinois 45,644 75%
Duke 29,895 75%
UCLA 67,459 74%
Arizona State 47,736 74%
Northwestern 34,798 74%
USC 68,459 73%
Missouri 52,236 73%
Boston College 32,157 72%
Pittsburgh 46,076 70%
Syracuse 32,805 67%
Virginia 39,929 65%
Purdue 34,451 60%
Kansas 25,828 51%

And just think if we only had a 50-55k seat venue. We would be at around 83-92% capacity. Even with the god awful yellow seats, it would look like and be a nice crowd.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
And just think if we only had a 50-55k seat venue. We would be at around 83-92% capacity. Even with the god awful yellow seats, it would look like and be a nice crowd.

Tarp the stadium fire the coaches. The mantra of the posters who claim to be Pitt fans. Never talk after a win. Only negativity and the real Pitt fans are banned for calling out the haters.

Tarp the stadium fire the coaches. The mantra of the posters who claim to be Pitt fans. Never talk after a win. Only negativity and the real Pitt fans are banned for calling out the haters.
I say set fire to Heinz and give narduzzi a raise. how's that?

The yellow seats are awful. Similar to the new throwback colors in the unis though, maybe they're planning on selling a ton of that merchandise so the empty seats blend in.

no way in hell does Pitt average 46K a game for attendance. I don't think they have come close to that in any game this year lol.

I and most people only count people in the seats when talking about attendance.

What on earth are you talking about Harry?

I never come on the free board due to the general juvenile behavior by many.

I am a proud Pitt fan, season ticket holder and donor though not an alumnus. Suggest you focus your criticism elsewhere.

no way in hell does Pitt average 46K a game for attendance. I don't think they have come close to that in any game this year lol.

I and most people only count people in the seats when talking about attendance.

That was last season's average.

Pitt is not going to put ads on the tarps. That is such a stupid idea and won't even be considered. If we tarp, it will be a neat looking design that will enhance the look, not detract with it with big UPMC and People's signs

Why????

First off, if you are going to do such a dumb idea like tarp seats, which is a super stupid thing to waste money on. Why not get advertising?

Its like if one day I say "Gosh, my new thing is going to wear a propeller hat everywhere I go". That would be a stupid idea and people will think I am a complete dumbass. I might as well sell ad space on my propeller hat, then people will think "Gosh, that guy sure is a moron, but at least he found a company to pay him for being a moron"

We are last in power 5 donations. If we tarp seats and dont get advertizing funds to do it then we are beyond incompetent and our AD needs to go. I am completely against tarping seats, it is stupid, it fools no one, I could care less if empty seats or non empty seats are in the stadium. Paying good money to make huge tarps and then the labor to care for these and place them is an expense that makes no sense.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Why????

First off, if you are going to do such a dumb idea like tarp seats, which is a super stupid thing to waste money on. Why not get advertising?

Its like if one day I say "Gosh, my new thing is going to wear a propeller hat everywhere I go". That would be a stupid idea and people will think I am a complete dumbass. I might as well sell ad space on my propeller hat, then people will think "Gosh, that guy sure is a moron, but at least he found a company to pay him for being a moron"

We are last in power 5 donations. If we tarp seats and dont get advertizing funds to do it then we are beyond incompetent and our AD needs to go. I am completely against tarping seats, it is stupid, it fools no one, I could care less if empty seats or non empty seats are in the stadium. Paying good money to make huge tarps and then the labor to care for these and place them is an expense that makes no sense.
You are paying for maintenance at Heinz whether people are fixing the field, cleaning the stadium, security, etc. Big deal. Putting a tarp on seats isn’t rocket science. Here is an idea on how to save some money. Take the f’in barriers down and hundreds of security of guards that force you to go out of your way to get back to the parking garages after the game. Have those people deal with the tarp after the game. It is a win-win.

You are paying for maintenance at Heinz whether people are fixing the field, cleaning the stadium, security, etc. Big deal. Putting a tarp on seats isn’t rocket science. Here is an idea on how to save some money. Take the f’in barriers down and hundreds of security of guards that force you to go out of your way to get back to the parking garages after the game. Have those people deal with the tarp after the game. It is a win-win.

Who said anything about saving money? Im talking about not foolishly spending money.

You don't need tarps just start winning next year and keep recruiting. The team is young and will get better. I would like to see Pitt play WVU, Penn State and Notre dame on future schedules. People will attend those games if the product is good. No tarps.

You don't need tarps just start winning next year and keep recruiting. The team is young and will get better. I would like to see Pitt play WVU, Penn State and Notre dame on future schedules. People will attend those games if the product is good. No tarps.
ND is locked into an ACC contract, and PS doesn’t want to play us. That leaves WV and they will not be on the schedule for awhile. Your suggestion has not worked since Pitt began playing football.

This may have been said before and I missed it. You can't change the location of the cameras given the set up at Heinz and where the TV infrastructure is, but why not flip sides and have the home team, students and band on the side where the cameras are most of the time. Tarp larger sections of the upper opposite side which does not get as much air play and you have a big improvement. This sounds so easy I can't believe Pitt isn't considering it, so I must be missing something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT