ADVERTISEMENT

Team dropped off top 25 list

That’s big drop off for losing to UNC. UNC is a good team that has been ranked all year.

Lehigh still in the top 25 after losing to previously unranked Penn and unranked Army this weekend.

Intermat rankings has Pitt #21 as a tournament team and #23 dual meet this week.

Eh, we were a bad dual team last year and we knew we wouldn't be great at it this year either. Tournament, on the other hand--I think we have a chance to repeat last year's position.

Also, the roster we started the year with would have been better in duals, maybe enough to flip the UNC result or make Lehigh closer, etc. It's just one of those things that happens.

Reactions: bwh05 and lucac
There’s no question, they just need to get to the point that we over recruit and not worry about being weight specific, and that’s what the good teams do, they obviously have loyalty but you can’t have a guy that has his position and has no wrestle off or anybody pushing him and for so long pitt hasn’t had that. it looks like we are starting to build that with obviously a few holes that we need to fill. but I think we’re not that far off we just got to not let the top guns leave the state as often as they do . I know your not getting everyone but get more more. This last class is proof we can do it with Stout,Pitzer,keslar, priest, laffey, and Pletcher. And with consistent all-Americans is what does it. Everyone of those recruits are #1 in the state except for pletcher.

Reactions: _DBHoops
There’s no question, they just need to get to the point that we over recruit and not worry about being weight specific, and that’s what the good teams do, they obviously have loyalty but you can’t have a guy that has his position and has no wrestle off or anybody pushing him and for so long pitt hasn’t had that. it looks like we are starting to build that with obviously a few holes that we need to fill. but I think we’re not that far off we just got to not let the top guns leave the state as often as they do . I know your not getting everyone but get more more. This last class is proof we can do it with Stout,Pitzer,keslar, priest, laffey, and Pletcher. And with consistent all-Americans is what does it. Everyone of those recruits are #1 in the state except for pletcher.
I am a proponent of wrestle offs determining the starters instead of the coaches. In know many disagree with that but real competition improves the product.

Man, Silky nailed it! Stuff like team top 10 should be the goal, not the expectation right now; but the program clearly has that trajectory with the last two recr classes.

Edit: problem is NCSU and VT also have sick incoming classes, oh well we can all go up together.

Penn state is the number 1 team in the country and only one of their starters is from PA (Starocci). This whole idea of pitt should be top ten every year because of location is exaggerated at best. The team finished 11th last season and it was the highest finish in over 50 years!
Penn State can recruit nationally at this point. Pitt really needs to get the best recruits locally to build their brand and become relevant again

Your right on the facilities, definitely a crucial piece. The 2023 class has a good start with Grant McKay, interested in seeing who else they have an eye on for the class.

Penn State can recruit nationally at this point. Pitt really needs to get the best recruits locally to build their brand and become relevant again
^^^This^^^. A successful rebuild won't happen overnight. Taking into account that the Nits can - and do - recruit nationally, Pitt just can't do that.

It's little steps. Right now, we're not even getting the better PA kids whom the Nits don't want. If we did, we could build a better program than we're seeing now. I think it's disappointing that we don't even dominate a meh ACC, let alone have a Top Ten ranking.

The 400-lb gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about is coaching. We all know that recruiting is the most important aspect of a programs's success, followed by a staff's ability to bring about improvement in the recruits whom we do get.

Sure, progress being made re: facilities is welcomed and long overdue. But as we're seeing with the basketball team, nice facilities alone will not guarantee a program's success.

Reactions: Pitt_97
Facilities will most certainly help but it’s ultimately recruiting. You aren’t going to win against Penn State or Iowa or every once in awhile Oklahoma State cause of coaches and tradition. But what drives me crazy is when they lose a big time kid to Nebraska, Oklahoma, Illinois, Lehigh(except for kids in there back yard). I know it’s not possible to keep them all but a prime example is Alejandro Herrera Rondon(goes to Oklahoma) for what? They stink, yes tradition, but there success is the same as saying Pitt Mens Basketball used to be really good. Those are the recruiting losses that drive me crazy.

Parrothead, the acc is not “meh”. NC State is #4 in the country and Vtech is number 7. If we were dominating the Acc we would be the national champs lol.

Silky, how is Alejandro doing at Oklahoma? Could be a red flag when seemingly good prospects pick a program that is not having success. Maybe there’s a reason.

He’s red shirting, but he’s very talented. And that’s just one name but you get my point. And yes, the Acc is not meh, lol.

The 2022 recruiting class is far and away the best class Pitt has had in a long time. That seems to suggest that last season successful national tournament had a big impact on recruiting. More than facilities and things like that, the best kids want to win. In order to get the best recruits you first have to show you can win here, putting two guys in the national finals last season did that.

Guys like stout and Pitzer are not only the best guys in the state but probably top 5 nationally. Recruiting success took a few years but hopefully this 2022 class is the start of something and the staff can keep it going.

Parrothead, the acc is not “meh”. NC State is #4 in the country and Vtech is number 7. If we were dominating the Acc we would be the national champs lol.

Silky, how is Alejandro doing at Oklahoma? Could be a red flag when seemingly good prospects pick a program that is not having success. Maybe there’s a reason.
Okay...good examples. But you're helping me to prove a point - that being that if schools like NC State and VaTech can have recruiting success, then why can't Pitt? It's not like Blacksburg, VA and Raleigh, NC are hotbeds of high school wrestling talent.

The analogy of "being unable to find sand in the Sahara Desert" seems to apply to Pitt and its inability to recruit top talent in a talent-laden area.....

Plus we beat #4 ASU.

You’re not wrong, we do need to recruit better, I was just trying to say that we are turning a corner it looks like because in the past we would never of gotten Stout, Pitzer and McKay. That’s why we need success at the NCAA’s this year which intern could help the 2023 class be even better than 2022.

Reactions: persp and jctrack
The 2022 recruiting class is far and away the best class Pitt has had in a long time. That seems to suggest that last season successful national tournament had a big impact on recruiting. More than facilities and things like that, the best kids want to win. In order to get the best recruits you first have to show you can win here, putting two guys in the national finals last season did that.

Guys like stout and Pitzer are not only the best guys in the state but probably top 5 nationally. Recruiting success took a few years but hopefully this 2022 class is the start of something and the staff can keep it going.
That's the hope, that the trajectory changed when we finished 11th last year. 2022 on paper is the best class so far, and if we can add a couple good transfers the team has a chance to jump up a level.

^^^This^^^. A successful rebuild won't happen overnight. Taking into account that the Nits can - and do - recruit nationally, Pitt just can't do that.

It's little steps. Right now, we're not even getting the better PA kids whom the Nits don't want. If we did, we could build a better program than we're seeing now. I think it's disappointing that we don't even dominate a meh ACC, let alone have a Top Ten ranking.

The 400-lb gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about is coaching. We all know that recruiting is the most important aspect of a programs's success, followed by a staff's ability to bring about improvement in the recruits whom we do get.

Sure, progress being made re: facilities is welcomed and long overdue. But as we're seeing with the basketball team, nice facilities alone will not guarantee a program's success.

Pretty solid points overall but the bold part is extremely wrong, you are talking about the guys who are on the roster currently and ignoring the stable of top incoming recruits. We are absolutely cleaning up on the WPIAL right now recruiting-wise.

That’s why I know he works for his fathers firm but man it would be nice to bring Nico in at some type of a coaching position,, because I really think he could recruit this area and even just the state of Pennsylvania really well.

we hopefully can get transfers at 133 and 165 because we have no one there next year.

I believe phillipi will be back and Kernan at 165, even if phillipi doesn’t I think Camacho will move up and that’s why I want us to full court press Stevo poulin, he’s an animal and would be instant upgrade

What is the 2022 recruiting class ranked? Thx.

Kernan was listed as a departing senior according to Pitt Twitter. Maybe he is not returning like many of us have been thinking

I wish Matt Lee would be available from Penn state, he’s not gonna start over facundo but with his brothers there he’ll be a nitt for life

Reactions: persp
I believe phillipi will be back and Kernan at 165, even if phillipi doesn’t I think Camacho will move up and that’s why I want us to full court press Stevo poulin, he’s an animal and would be instant upgrade
If we have some close ties to Poulin that I don't know about that's awesome, but otherwise let's be realistic, we weren't in his top five a year and a half ago so why would we be now? I think any kind of "full court press" applied to SP would be taking resources away from more beneficial areas. However, not saying I wouldn't call. :)

Micky technically can return next year.
I read your posts closely and carefully since they have good info, and I can't help but notice the sharp turn in confidence from your last post about that topic. :/

As far as transfers, I looked at the current portal list the other day--not super close, just ctrl+F-ed 165 and 184 weight classes and didn't notice anyone great. Obviously many more will be available after the season but some posts above sound like we are already working transfers? If so I'd love a point in the right direction.

If Micky does not return, we could roll out Cuerbo at 125 and Camacho at 133...but that sounds like we'd get wrecked at both classes now that I see Cuerbo is wrestling 113 this year.

Camacho has another 3 years of eligibility I think that played a lot into his decision from what some wrestling media has insinuated

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT