ADVERTISEMENT

Team voted no on NIT

The vote was the definition of sour grapes. The team demeaned itself. From the Board to the team, everybody was claiming to be better than all the other bubble teams. The venue is less important. The NIT would have given the team an opportunity to prove it, to defeat and maybe dominate these other teams from Paco's list: LSU, Georgia, Boston College, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota, Seton Hall, Providence, Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Cincinnati, UCF, Kansas State, Utah. Now, if the players want to bluff themselves about who they are or who they were, they will have to keep their mouths shut.

Some will agree, some will disagree.

Obviously, no one is likely to change anyone's mind on the subject. And yes, my initial reaction was as knee jerk as the their decision was not to play, but it won't change my disappointment in the leadership for allowing the team to pass on an opportunity to keep competing.

I'm retiring from this thread. The dead horse has been beaten long enough. There is nothing left to add from me that hasn't been stated in the prior posts on this board.

At no time was the CBI the goal of the 2012 team. But they seized the opportunities in front of them to continue competing.

That is the direct opposite of turning down the opportunity to keep competing.
Like I said, good for them.

This year's team consists of higher-goal players.

Reactions: Nick's Name
Pitt got the same base revenue share for 2023 that they other 13 football teams did. That included a chunk of conference bowl revenue. Did they get paid for going to a bowl in 2023?

Here's from the actual ACC bylaws:

2.5.10 Distribution of Revenue from Postseason Football Games.
The Conference equally shares all bowl revenues. After all bowl expense allotments and ticket
reimbursements are subtracted from the total bowl revenue, the remaining revenue is distributed evenly
among the Members.

Each Member participating in a bowl game is provided an expense allotment. The College Football
Playoff will provide an expense allotment to any Member participating in the College Football Playoff
national championship, semifinals, or host bowls. Expense allotments for all other bowls are provided by
the Conference and are subject to 3% annual increases as shown in the following table

Each participating Member is responsible for the purchase of half (50%) of the financial value of that
bowl game’s ticket allotment. The Conference will make best efforts to provide each Member with bowl
tickets in the desired sections as the bowl manifest allows. Members are incentivized to sell into the
second half of the financial value of the ticket allotment with the right to retain 50% of any additional
revenue for ticket sales above the first-half threshold. The participating Member shall not be obligated to
pay for any unsold tickets from the second half of the bowl game’s ticket allotment, provided the
participating Member is in compliance with the minimum Team Ticket Allocation Sales Requirements
distributed annually by the Conference office (marketing department). Should the participating team in
the Detroit Bowl sell less than $100,000 in tickets (inclusive of taxes and fees), any difference between
the $100,000 and actual tickets sold shall be owed to the Conference as part of bowl settlement and will
then be included in bowl payout as additional bowl revenue.
Any ticket price deviation (either through value-added packages or adjustments to the price of tickets)
must be approved in advance by the Conference.
Bottom line, did Pitt get more money from the conference because it played in a bowl game than it would have had it not played?

They are losers then. I definitely will not be directing any donations or NIL gifts to hoops.

I'll seriously rethink renewing season tickets too.
Well then........doing the math.....Kenny Pickett is a loser. And everything said about him his true. Because he quit on his team, on this school in an actual meaningful game, especially considering a win would have led to our first top 10 finish in over 40 years.

There. That's now settled. Paco has defined the terms.

Reactions: Pitt79
I just saw that the NIT semis and finals are no longer at MSG, they're in Indianapolis at Butler's gym, that seems like it's about the size of the Fitzgerald Fieldhouse. It's an even more useless tourney than I thought it was.

Reactions: pittbb80
It should be completely up to the players to decide. A true Pitt fan would support their decision. Everyone knows the NIT is a joke and we aren’t the first team to decline it.
It absolutely should not be up to the players. They signed up to play BB for Pitt and get NIL$ It's time to stop coddling these so-called student athletes. Their NIL sponsers should tell them to play or lose a portion of their NIL $s. Somehow we have forgotten that the players are mercenaries.

It absolutely should not be up to the players. They signed up to play BB for Pitt and get NIL$ It's time to stop coddling these so-called student athletes. Their NIL sponsers should tell them to play or lose a portion of their NIL $s. Somehow we have forgotten that the players are mercenaries.
I don't think the NIL sponsors want the stink of the NIT on them, they're most likely fine with the players ditching it.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79 and TD_6082
I don't think the NIL sponsors want the stink of the NIT on them, they're most likely fine with the players ditching it.
That's actually funny! And who are these sponsors anyways? I haven't seem one name, image or likeness of any of these guys anywhere?

Reactions: Parkview57
Hahaha. Hinson probably voted no too.
So you're saying they are all punk ass non competitive women? Play the games, win the NIT, go into next year with momentum. The post season is the post season. It's what you play for and a reward for good play.

The notion that the 1992 Pitt basketball team carries some sort of historical significance because they played in the NIT is one of the most batshit crazy things that anyone has ever said on this board.

Any team playing in a post-season tournament is more historically notable than ones that did not...simply because those teams are noted for such participation...noted for such in media guides, in reference materials, on websites, in statistical aggregations, etc. Sometimes, they are even noted on banners.

Sorry, reality doesn't agree with you.

Last edited:
I just saw that the NIT semis and finals are no longer at MSG, they're in Indianapolis at Butler's gym, that seems like it's about the size of the Fitzgerald Fieldhouse. It's an even more useless tourney than I thought it was.
The NIT final four is being moved around to different venues. Last year it was in Vegas.

Hinkle Fieldhouse is one of the most historic venues in college basketball. It currently seats 9,100, which is larger than the Fitz ever was which topped out at 6,798.

It is similar to playing in a venue like the Palestra, except it is larger.

It is also where the championship game in Hoosiers was filmed.

Basketball fans know about Hinkle.

Any team playing in a post-season tournament is more historically notable than ones that did not...simply because those teams are noted for such participation...noted for such in media guides, in reference materials, on websites, in statistical aggregations, etc.

Sorry, reality doesn't agree with you.

If you asked 100 random Pitt basketball fans on, say, Saturday afternoon, if Pitt played in the 1992 NIT do you suppose more than one or two would know the actual answer? I don't mean the 50% who would guess correctly, I mean actually know anything at all about that team.

The reality of the situation is that the fact that Pitt made the 1992 NIT is completely and utterly inconsequential. Even you ought to be able to understand the difference between historically notable and historical trivia.

If you asked 100 random Pitt basketball fans on, say, Saturday afternoon, if Pitt played in the 1992 NIT do you suppose more than one or two would know the actual answer? I don't mean the 50% who would guess correctly, I mean actually know anything at all about that team.

The reality of the situation is that the fact that Pitt made the 1992 NIT is completely and utterly inconsequential. Even you ought to be able to understand the difference between historically notable and historical trivia.

If you asked 100 random Pitt fans if Pitt played in the 1993 NCAA, without looking it up, they also wouldn't know. If you asked 100 random Pitt fans what year Pitt won a national championship or played in a Final Four in basketball, they also wouldn't know. If you asked random Pitt fans what year they won the Big East tournament, they wouldn't know without looking it up. It's a red herring question, because most fans, and zero percent of current students, remember nor know anything older than five years.

And no one outside the Pitt fan base and program knows anything about Pitt...because they are historical factoids...unless they look them up in reference material, which is what college sports journalists and analysts do before discussing a topic.

Guess what is noted in reference material like the ESPN Basketball Encyclopedia, or Pitt's own current media guide, or one historical data aggregate websites, including where the vast majority of regular people find out their historical factoids, Wikipedia.

What is noted for the 1991-92 Pitt Men's Basketball Team: NIT Second Round.

What is noted for this years team:

Last edited:
If you asked 100 random Pitt fans if Pitt played in the 1993 NCAA, without looking it up, they also wouldn't know. If you asked 100 random Pitt fans what year Pitt won a national championship or played in a Final Four in basketball, they also wouldn't know. If you asked random Pitt fans what year they won the Big East tournament, they wouldn't know without looking it up. It's a red herring question, because most fans, and zero percent of current students, remember nor know anything older than five years.

And no one outside the Pitt fan base and program knows anything about Pitt...because they are historical factoids...unless they look them up in reference material, which is what college sports analysts do before discussing a topic.

Guess what is noted in reference material like the ESPN Basketball Encyclopedia, or Pitt's own current media guide, or one historical data aggregate websites, including where the vast majority of people find out their historical factoids, Wikipedia.

So far 250 kids in the portal. If you are not in the NCAAT you need to be working on harvesting this ground now. Cause you want to get there next year.

And no one outside the Pitt fan base and program knows anything about Pitt...because they are historical factoids...unless they look them up in reference material, which is what college sports journalists and analysts do before discussing a topic.

Guess what is noted in reference material like the ESPN Basketball Encyclopedia, or Pitt's own current media guide, or one historical data aggregate websites, including where the vast majority of regular people find out their historical factoids, Wikipedia.

The fact that you don't understand the difference between historically notable and trivia doesn't mean that there isn't a difference. It just means that you don't know.

Reactions: JD1976
The NIT final four is being moved around to different venues. Last year it was in Vegas.

Hinkle Fieldhouse is one of the most historic venues in college basketball. It currently seats 9,100, which is larger than the Fitz ever was which topped out at 6,798.

It is similar to playing in a venue like the Palestra, except it is larger.

It is also where the championship game in Hoosiers was filmed.

Basketball fans know about Hinkle.
And as Pitt fans should know Pitt played there in the CBI.The coming out party for Lamar Patterson.He jump started himself into the next season by playing in that tournament.

It is exactly how it works with a staff of 9, with 115 teams somehow managing to compete in a postseason.

It's not even an excuse Pitt offered for quitting. They simply cited sour grapes.
You are really willing to die on this ridiculous hill. Of anything Pitt related over this past weekend, Pitt not going to the NIT was the least image damaging for the University, sports wise.

Wasn’t that the Gym used in Hoosiers?
I'll think you'll find that it is the exact same measurements as our gym back in Oakland...I can just picture CrazyPaco in the hospital with severe alcohol withdrawal listening to the NIT championship on the radio next to his bedside...

Completely made up in your mind.
Jerry DiPaola:

"So irritated were Pitt officials after receiving the NCAA snub, they immediately declined an invitation to the NIT for “what is best for our student-athletes,” according to a statement from coach Jeff Capel."

That statement, of course, was filled with reasons why they should have been in the NCAA tournament more than any explanation for turning down the NIT bid. It certainly read like sour grapes.

Last edited:
You are really willing to die on this ridiculous hill. Of anything Pitt related over this past weekend, Pitt not going to the NIT was the least image damaging for the University, sports wise.

It doesn't damage the university one bit.

That also doesn't make it right. nor does it make it less of an lost opportunity for the basketball program.

Jerry DiPaola:

"So irritated were Pitt officials after receiving the NCAA snub, they immediately declined an invitation to the NIT for “what is best for our student-athletes,” according to a statement from coach Jeff Capel."

That statement, of course, was filled with reasons why they should have been in the NCAA tournament more than any explanation for turning down the NIT bid. It certainly read like sour grapes.
The word on Twitter currently is that a few of the guys on the team have some family issues to attend to in the near future, including a few funerals. Not sure what’s the real reason, but if that’s the case it certainly seems like something that wouldn’t be overtly referenced in the program’s official statement.

It doesn't damage the university one bit.

That also doesn't make it right. nor does it make it less of a lost opportunity for the basketball program.
I have no clue what your point is then. The kids, the coaches along with the administration said no problem don‘t go.

There isn‘t right or wrong here at all. That’s what you are missing.

It simply does not matter.

I have no clue what your point is then. The kids, the coaches along with the administration said no problem don‘t go.

There isn‘t right or wrong here at all. That’s what you are missing.

It simply does not matter.
Well then go back and reread my posts.

The word on Twitter currently is that a few of the guys on the team have some family issues to attend to in the near future, including a few funerals. Not sure what’s the real reason, but if that’s the case it certainly seems like something that wouldn’t be overtly referenced in the program’s official statement.
Of course those would be a legitimate concerns that would be legitimate to weigh.

I have read them. You are incredibly off the mark on this. It doesn’t matter one way or the other, but yet you insist the world is missing the purity and accuracy of your opinion.
Competitors always want to play. I will never change my tune on that. And absolutely, I question those that don't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT