ADVERTISEMENT

The best change to be made in the Capel era

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Don't allow the band kids to sing that Biz Markie song anymore during opposing foul shots. It was funny the first time they did it a few years ago but it quickly became annoying as heck. It drives me crazy. I would donate money to the band to get them to stop it. If they want to sing during foul shots, at least change it up. To make it worst, the song has absolutely 0 relevance to anything related to Pitt or the sport of basketball.

Jeff, please put an end to this insanity.

Don't allow the band kids to sing that Biz Markie song anymore during opposing foul shots. It was funny the first time they did it a few years ago but it quickly became annoying as heck. It drives me crazy. I would donate money to the band to get them to stop it. If they want to sing during foul shots, at least change it up. To make it worst, the song has absolutely 0 relevance to anything related to Pitt or the sport of basketball.

SMF, what is your day job?

Here's hoping that Capel's results put so many additional butts in the seats that they are simply drowned out. Let the band geeks have their fun, they put in a lot of work.

Here's hoping that Capel's results put so many additional butts in the seats that they are simply drowned out. Let the band geeks have their fun, they put in a lot of work.

Yea that's part of it but they can have fun without being so damn annoying. Am I the only one that hates that foul shot routine?

Yea that's part of it but they can have fun without being so damn annoying. Am I the only one that hates that foul shot routine?
I am not a fan of it, but then again I have a nice sound system. So, the foul shot routine annoys me less than the screechy girl in the Zoo. She has to be close to graduation by now, right? I do echo your thoughts - it just seems embarrassingly lame and I don't see any relevance, but then again, I don't pretend to understand the college-aged generation. I've heard other schools do the same thing, so there must be something to it.

I give these kids credit just for going and being there with the recent product, but I must admit that I watch most non-CBS Pitt games at close to a mute level of late. I hope that changes soon and I get to pump up the raucous crowd noise from Oakland once again.

Reactions: jaebree422
Gil Brown and Antonio Graves too.
Graves? Disagree. Not an explosive athlete. Can't remember ever seeing him dunk the ball even.

I'd say the most athletic players JD brought in that come to mind were, in no particular order (other than Young who is head and shoulders the most athletic Dixon player):
  • Young
  • Gil
  • Adams
  • JJ Moore
  • Levon
  • Keith Benjamin
  • Newkirk
  • Big Fella-tremendous athlete for his size/body type

Think of the positive thing about it, at least it provided some noise in an otherwise dead atmosphere.

Graves? Disagree. Not an explosive athlete. Can't remember ever seeing him dunk the ball even.

I'd say the most athletic players JD brought in that come to mind were, in no particular order (other than Young who is head and shoulders the most athletic Dixon player):
  • Young
  • Gil
  • Adams
  • JJ Moore
  • Levon
  • Keith Benjamin
  • Newkirkc

I would add Cameron Wright. I often criticized his game, but I also felt he was a very good athlete.

Dixon was Howland's recruiter.
Wrong. Howland was howlands recruiter here just as he was in UCLA and is at Miss St. He’s done just fine getting recruits without your savior(who I think is a very good regular season coach and developer of talent) Just like Jeff Capel is Jeff Capels recruiter. This isn’t football with 25 signees per year. Head coaches are tasked with recruiting. You think Cal isn’t the reason kids go to Kentucky? You’re a fool if you think otherwise.

Reactions: jaebree422

• Young
  • Gil
  • Adams
  • JJ Moore
  • Levon
  • Keith Benjamin
  • Newkirk

I think you could make a case that Adams is pretty close to Young in terms of athleticism. Particularly watching him advance in the NBA.

Wrong. Howland was howlands recruiter here just as he was in UCLA and is at Miss St. He’s done just fine getting recruits without your savior(who I think is a very good regular season coach and developer of talent) Just like Jeff Capel is Jeff Capels recruiter. This isn’t football with 25 signees per year. Head coaches are tasked with recruiting. You think Cal isn’t the reason kids go to Kentucky? You’re a fool if you think otherwise.
So, Capel wasn't the recruiter at Duke? But we KNOW he'll be a good recruiter at Pitt. And his staff is only useful to run practice? Such nonsense. Dixon found guys like Lett, Kendall, etc. It's a group effort. Did Roy Chipman recruit all those guys in the 80's?? Or did Cal, Greenberg, Hill & Warford contribute??

• Young
  • Gil
  • Adams
  • JJ Moore
  • Levon
  • Keith Benjamin
  • Newkirk

Alllow me to suggest that your memory isn't serving you particularly well on Graves. Sure, but no means was he in the Young, Gil, Page category, but he was in the plus category.

As for dunks, during his senior year he had two MONSTER dunks that I remember well -- one handed tomahawks -- in the opening game against Western Michigan and another against an OOC opponent at home -- I think UMass. I remember both of these because they told me at the time that he was a better athlete than perhaps I had been giving him credit.

Otherwise, it appears as if your list is a good one.

Alllow me to suggest that your memory isn't serving you particularly well on Graves. Sure, but no means was he in the Young, Gil, Page category, but he was in the plus category.

As for dunks, during his senior year he had two MONSTER dunks that I remember well -- one handed tomahawks -- in the opening game against Western Michigan and another against an OOC opponent at home -- I think UMass. I remember both of these because they told me at the time that he was a better athlete than perhaps I had been giving him credit.

Graves might be the most underrated kid from that era.

Graves might be the most underrated kid from that era.

He had one of the best pro careers in the H-D era. Of the non-NBA guys, it probably goes:

1. Wanamaker
2. Kendall
3. Graves

I remember Graves well as a player, a grinder with limited game but who had some length on the perimeter and played hard, defended well. OK at everything, not great at anything. Explosive athlete does not come to mind when I recall him.

I don't see why we should count anyone who never suited up.

Would have been nice if he had though. 42 inch vertical. But as is often the case, great athlete doesn't always mean great, or even good, basketball player.

Would have been nice if he had though. 42 inch vertical. But as is often the case, great athlete doesn't always mean great, or even good, basketball player.
Sure would have. I was excited when we signed him. He's been to 2 more schools since then.

I don't think Mostella's game/skills were the problem. He has been pretty good on the court. Off it, not so much.

Reactions: BFo8
So, Capel wasn't the recruiter at Duke? But we KNOW he'll be a good recruiter at Pitt. And his staff is only useful to run practice? Such nonsense. Dixon found guys like Lett, Kendall, etc. It's a group effort. Did Roy Chipman recruit all those guys in the 80's?? Or did Cal, Greenberg, Hill & Warford contribute??
We all know Greenberg didn't contribute as he's still trying to give Marlon Ferguson a ride.

We all know Greenberg didn't contribute as he's still trying to give Marlon Ferguson a ride.
Hey, he held the bag with $$$. Tough job, but Seth was good at it. How ya doing? Able to swing the clubs, yet?

Too bad he stopped finding them after the Young Artis class !

yeah, god forbid students have fun at games, right?

Chevy was all league in the top German League twice and made the all star game in one other season in Germany and twice when he played in France. Brad was the league MVP in Germany once and it looks like he was a two time all star in Germany and one time in Turkey. You can put them in whatever order you want, but those two are clearly 1 and 1A.

K recruited Capel for goodness sakes. He can recruit. You saying he can’t?? You’re livin in the past man!! You’re hung up on staffs from the 80s man!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT