ADVERTISEMENT

The facts of life concerning Capel & Pitt basketball

That's fine. But unless Pitt is willing to engage in such activity, again, it becomes irrelevant to the point.

As I've specified, it's not about evaluating his legacy; it's about what he can and will do at Pitt. If having to play it clean is saddling him, then it does us very little good.
IMO if you aren't willing top do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING the top teams in your league are WILLING to do to win, then go to a lesser league where you can find an even playing field with like minded schools, that's why the Ivy League teams grouped together, to put academics first and be able to compete for championships, with like minded schools, where there will be academics first and no cheating and you only have the type of players that fit that environment and still have a chance to WIN.

I like you as a poster but you totally ignored the person you were replying to when he effective asked:

How does the best player in the country end up at Oklahoma?

Then...You proceed to berate him? (Sorta passive aggressively)
Could be the fact that Blake Griffin was born and raised in Oklahoma and wanted to play for the Sooners his whole life. Oklahoma has always brought in high level talent and has had a strong program, it’s not like Capel’s regime was like the Kansas State days under Frank Martin, where suddenly a nothing program is bringing in the top recruit in the country.

Could be the fact that Blake Griffin was born and raised in Oklahoma and wanted to play for the Sooners his whole life. Oklahoma has always brought in high level talent and has had a strong program, it’s not like Capel’s regime was like the Kansas State days under Frank Martin, where suddenly a nothing program is bringing in the top recruit in the country.
Yeah - Like you say - Could be

But then again - Maybe not

Any one of you can recruit better at Duke then at Pitt, HCJC did a great job of recruiting at Duke, but here at Pitt, fa ged a boud it

Reactions: Pitt Shambles
My thoughts exactly. Jeff Capel isn't Kevin Stallings. I don't know how his tenure ends up but I'm not willing to pass final judgement yet.

To me, the only problem I have with the exodus is that he recruited these kids that obviously didn't want to be here. Hopefully he realized the error (seems like he has with the kids he's recruited since).

Recruiting for 21 and 22 is going to tell us everything. I'm willing to wait and see how it shakes out.
Just remember the toxicity that Capel was recruiting into when he arrived, the short span of time he had to recruit and the often overlooked fact that we had ZERO conference wins.
Not exactly the best situation to recruit into IMO.

Not solely directed at you, but why do some people consistently point to Oklahoma and say he only won because he "had the best player in the country."

Aren't you missing the point that he "had the best player in the country?" Should he be penalized for having the best player in the country? His wins don't matter because he had the best player in the country?

Doesn't everyone want the best player in the country? How many guys actually have the best player in the country?

It's like the.... well, take away all the Barry Sanders 70 yard runs and he was a pretty average RB.
He went to Oklahoma because his brother was there and he’s from Oklahoma. He was never really considering anywhere else and would’ve gone there whoever the coach was.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Fun fact every coach at Oklahoma since 1980 except 1 has made a final 4 there. It’s an elite job.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
Not solely directed at you, but why do some people consistently point to Oklahoma and say he only won because he "had the best player in the country."

Aren't you missing the point that he "had the best player in the country?" Should he be penalized for having the best player in the country? His wins don't matter because he had the best player in the country?

Doesn't everyone want the best player in the country? How many guys actually have the best player in the country?

It's like the.... well, take away all the Barry Sanders 70 yard runs and he was a pretty average RB.

I don't know about you, but I'd be really pissed off if in a couple years Pitt made it to the Final Four, but only because they had the best player in the country.

🤪

Reactions: pittmeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT