ADVERTISEMENT

The most frustrated I’ve ever been after a win

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
1. We would be 4-2 or 5-1 after tonight had Veilleux started the entire season. This level of QB play was literally all we needed to defeat Cincinnati and WVU. That is 100% on Narduzzi for waiting five games to make the switch and turning this into a lost season.

2. I might be even more frustrated at the fact that we had a better team last year and couldn’t beat a worse Louisville team… I guess that is the epitome of Pitt football!

I digress. Happy to pick up a huge Homecoming win against a ranked opponent. Hail to Pitt!

Last edited:
1. We would be 4-2 or 5-1 after tonight’s upset victory had Veilleux started the entire season. That is 100% on Narduzzi for waiting five games to make the switch and turning this into a lost season.

2. I might be even more frustrated at the fact that we had a better team last year and couldn’t beat a worse Louisville team… I guess that is the epitome of Pitt football!
Nope. Start Veilleux back in September and Pitt is probably 1-5 & the kids confidence is shattered.

Developing these guys takes a little time. This isn't even the same kid put out there in the 2nd half vs UNC.

Nope. Start Veilleux back in September and Pitt is probably 1-5 & the kids confidence is shattered.

Developing these guys takes a little time. This isn't even the same kid put out there in the 2nd half vs UNC.
I don’t think he could’ve done any worse than Jurkovec, but that’s a fair perspective. All we would’ve needed is the bare minimum.

If a little slump means finding our long-term answer at QB, then I’ll take it!

I don’t think he could’ve done any worse than Jurkovec, but that’s a fair perspective. All we would’ve needed is the bare minimum.

If a little slump means finding our long-term answer at QB, then I’ll take it!
I highly doubt he would have been able to navigate the huddle in Morgantown.

I agree that he couldn't have been any worse, but you can't throw guys in there before they have a legitimate chance to succeed.

Reactions: Dallas Burgher
To me the mystery continues, does CV have an upside, that is can be on the + side of being a good College QB , which would align with his recruitment. Or is what we see , all there is?

Doubt it. QB play lost those games. He didn’t even have to do much the first month of the season, just not play terrible.

It’s the truth, but frankly I’m surprised the change got made at all. Better late than … eh, screw it, I’m ticked by it too. But what can ya do

Bullshit.

If CV was getting 1st team reps in camp, he would be further along than where he is now after just 1 bye week with 1st team reps.

And he would've had 1st team reps if we hadn't been stupid about bringing in a bum like Jurkovec in the first place.

CV is good and I am glad he got a chance to show what he can do. He started one game at PSU when Clifford was injured and was 15/24 with three touchdowns. He never seemed like the kind of kid whose confidence would be shattered. Anyhow, congratulations on the win tonight and I hope he continues to ball out

The jerks doing the Notre Dame-USC game just went "Louisville lost to Pitt" , spitting out "Pitt" with every ounce of contempt.

CV is good and I am glad he got a chance to show what he can do. He started one game at PSU when Clifford was injured and was 15/24 with three touchdowns. He never seemed like the kind of kid whose confidence would be shattered. Anyhow, congratulations on the win tonight and I hope he continues to ball out
Veilleux had the flu and was a true freshman. Really impressive.

Reactions: bdur76
3 turnovers to none plus 4 4th down stops are the primary reasons we won. Villeaux’s plus contribution in this game was no turnovers. I like his potential and prefer seeing him play instead of PJ but I think it’s way over the top to say we’d be 4-2 or 5-1 if he played from the start.

Regardless of QB we still have a passing offense that falls a good bit short of completing 50% of its attempts with many of those incompletions not even close. The offensive deficiencies all year aren’t confined to the QB.

And it goes without being said, the defense played better in this game.

Reactions: daytonpanther
I highly doubt he would have been able to navigate the huddle in Morgantown.

I agree that he couldn't have been any worse, but you can't throw guys in there before they have a legitimate chance to succeed.

I disagree. Phil couldn't throw the ball and was a crutch for the offense. I think we flip 2 of those games with CV. Phil was that bad.

Thx much bro

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Doubt it. QB play lost those games. He didn’t even have to do much the first month of the season, just not play terrible.
He would have pissed down his leg all night the way Cincinnati dominated the line of scrimmage. And throwing him to the fire at Morgantown would have been beyond asinine. And hindsight is 20/20. (although some say 50/50) Nobody could have predicted Jurk would be THAT bad in the Backyard Brawl

Coaches play whoever is going to give them the best chance to win. I think the staff probably had this game after the open date in the back of their minds since the WVU game.

The jerks doing the Notre Dame-USC game just went "Louisville lost to Pitt" , spitting out "Pitt" with every ounce of contempt.
Guy on the ACC network doing the Duke/NC St game just said that Louisville lost as 3 touchdown favorites at Pitt. Where do they get these guys that actually thought that Louisville was anywhere near a 21 point favorite? How could they be employed in that capacity and not know that that is ridiculous?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
He would have pissed down his leg all night the way Cincinnati dominated the line of scrimmage. And throwing him to the fire at Morgantown would have been beyond asinine. And hindsight is 20/20. (although some say 50/50) Nobody could have predicted Jurk would be THAT bad in the Backyard Brawl

Coaches play whoever is going to give them the best chance to win. I think the staff probably had this game after the open date in the back of their minds since the WVU game.
Probably not. Again, the QB didn't even need to do much those games, just not suck. Factor in the QB could do absolutely nothing helped dictate the defense in both games. Having a guy who could actually complete a pass would've made a difference.

I don't know how this coaching staff watched Jurkovec throw all summer and not conclude he wasn't the answer.

I disagree. Phil couldn't throw the ball and was a crutch for the offense. I think we flip 2 of those games with CV. Phil was that bad.
Without question Phil was that bad.

But I don't think Veilleux would have been very successful at managing the huddle, snap/exchanges etc based on his limited time in the system and what I saw from him in his limited PT vs Wofford/UNC.

Probably not. Again, the QB didn't even need to do much those games, just not suck. Factor in the QB could do absolutely nothing helped dictate the defense in both games. Having a guy who could actually complete a pass would've made a difference.

I don't know how this coaching staff watched Jurkovec throw all summer and not conclude he wasn't the answer.
Did you see CV vs. UNC? He pretty much sucked. He showed potential, but that performance definitely sucked.

1. We would be 4-2 or 5-1 after tonight had Veilleux started the entire season. This level of QB play was literally all we needed to defeat Cincinnati and WVU. That is 100% on Narduzzi for waiting five games to make the switch and turning this into a lost season.

I disagress. Happy to pick up a huge Homecoming win against a ranked opponent. Hail to Pitt!
I don’t see it. Defense is starting to improve, but was not good early and Veilleux would have struggled early too as he did in UNC game. Maybe 3-3 or even 4-2, but not 5-1.

I don’t see it. Defense is starting to improve, but was not good early and Veilleux would have struggled early too as he did in UNC game. Maybe 3-3 or even 4-2, but not 5-1.
Given how he performed in the UNC game,(Wofford too, tbh) throwing him out there for his first start on the road in a night game at Morgantown or Blacksburg doesn't really seem like recipe for success.

In all honesty I’d say if he had started all year Pitt would probably be sitting at 3-3 instead of 2-4. Not sure what game would’ve been different but with Veilleux getting more and more reps one of those games may have been won against very average competition. If Pitt was 3-3 we’d all be talking how wins over Wake, Syracuse, and BC would mean bowl eligibility.

In all honesty I’d say if he had started all year Pitt would probably be sitting at 3-3 instead of 2-4. Not sure what game would’ve been different but with Veilleux getting more and more reps one of those games may have been won against very average competition. If Pitt was 3-3 we’d all be talking how wins over Wake, Syracuse, and BC would mean bowl eligibility.
You don't think Pitt can beat Duke?

I'm not predicting 6-6, but I think Pitt has a chance for 4 more wins.

Last edited:

I disagress. Happy to pick up a huge Homecoming win against a ranked opponent. Hail to Pitt!
Narduzzi is a dumb ass.

• Haha
Reactions: buckage and TD_6082
Yeah, I'll say 3-3 with an average QB (which CV seems to be). Louisville really helped us out tonight by not running the ball more, so that at least helps me feel a little better about losing to three lousy teams by trotting Rick Ankiel out on the field.

Pitt had a better chance of beating WVU running the wildcat than with Jurkovec.

You don't think Pitt can beat Duke?

I'm not predicting 6-6, but I think Pitt has a chance for 4 more wins.
Yeah they probably can I guess but likely won’t. I guess my main point is that if Pitt was at 3-3 now we’d be a little more excited and speculating on how going 6-6 and being bowl eligible was somewhat of a victory in a rebuilding season.

3 turnovers to none plus 4 4th down stops are the primary reasons we won. Villeaux’s plus contribution in this game was no turnovers. I like his potential and prefer seeing him play instead of PJ but I think it’s way over the top to say we’d be 4-2 or 5-1 if he played from the start.

Regardless of QB we still have a passing offense that falls a good bit short of completing 50% of its attempts with many of those incompletions not even close. The offensive deficiencies all year aren’t confined to the QB.

And it goes without being said, the defense played better in this game.

Any many of those incompletions dropped passes. One flare on 3rd down to a back for an easy first down in particular. HIs "no closes" not in the same hall of fame "not closes" class as Jurcovec...

As an outsider looking in, let me ask this of yinz- if Veilleux would’ve started from the get go, and he was able to get you to 3-3 or 4-2, how happy would you actually be without the knowledge that a 1-4 start is the reality where Phil was gonna get you? In hindsight 3-3 or 4-2 seems great when comparing it to a 1-4 start. But at 3-3 or even 4-2, without ever seeing Phil take the field, yinz might be clamoring for Phil and calling for Veilleux’s head. Just a thought.

Guy on the ACC network doing the Duke/NC St game just said that Louisville lost as 3 touchdown favorites at Pitt. Where do they get these guys that actually thought that Louisville was anywhere near a 21 point favorite? How could they be employed in that capacity and not know that that is ridiculous?
It was Pitt +7. Smh. Which I was surprised by

We were 1-4 with four straight losses. I get why they reacted that way.
Yep. That’s what I don’t understand every time I read stuff like that on these boards. Our program gives the media and pundits every reason to say things we don’t like. If some of us are offended, wear a helmet. Life can be tough.

Reactions: buckage
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT