ADVERTISEMENT

The most frustrated I’ve ever been after a win

As an outsider looking in, let me ask this of yinz- if Veilleux would’ve started from the get go, and he was able to get you to 3-3 or 4-2, how happy would you actually be without the knowledge that a 1-4 start is the reality where Phil was gonna get you? In hindsight 3-3 or 4-2 seems great when comparing it to a 1-4 start. But at 3-3 or even 4-2, without ever seeing Phil take the field, yinz might be clamoring for Phil and calling for Veilleux’s head. Just a thought.
I get your point and that's fair.
Up until this year my mindset was always to trust the coaches on personnel, it's their job so let them do it. Starting and hanging on to PJ too long this year rattled that mindset a bit though to be honest.

Reactions: republion
They may not need to beat Duke if they keep taking 5-7 teams for bowls. 5-7 Pitt vs 5-7 Colorado bowl.

I highly doubt he would have been able to navigate the huddle in Morgantown.

I agree that he couldn't have been any worse, but you can't throw guys in there before they have a legitimate chance to succeed.

WVU put in a true freshman who didn't completely suck. As long as Villeaux didnt completely suck vs Cincy, WVU, and VT we win 2 of those 3, maybe all 3.

WVU put in a true freshman who didn't completely suck. As long as Villeaux didnt completely suck vs Cincy, WVU, and VT we win 2 of those 3, maybe all 3.
You’re too funny, can’t count how many times you said Villeaux was way worse than PJ, now all of a sudden we could have won all 3 of those games.

As BF08 said, chance we have 1 more win and are sitting at 3-3 if CV played those instead of PJ.

To me, the season's over in terms of the overall record. I'm more interested in the development of their future QB and some other young guys. They should sit most of the vets and let the young guys play a lot to get some idea if they can play next year. They're not going to win 8 games in a row to get to 8-4. If they can develop their QB, new receivers, get an OL that works and keep developing the defense, next year will be better. Just be competitive and show some energy.

Reactions: Dewey Eye
Narduzzi should have noticed this in the spring. Since he didn’t, the bye week was the next best time to make a change.

But I thought you had seen enough. I thought you said he was much worse than Phil and Pitt should cut him loose when the season ends.

I highly doubt he would have been able to navigate the huddle in Morgantown.

I agree that he couldn't have been any worse, but you can't throw guys in there before they have a legitimate chance to succeed.
lol yeah he couldn’t have beaten cincy or WVU but beat Louisville? The Duzz ball washing is strong

Reactions: h2p_5150
We beat WV with anyone not named Jurkovec. Anyone.

Not sure about Cincy, because we couldn't stop the run and I think they took their foot off the gas.

VT... also not sure, because they seem to have found something in that new QB.

I tend to think we COULD have beaten WVU and won one of the other two.

As an outsider looking in, let me ask this of yinz- if Veilleux would’ve started from the get go, and he was able to get you to 3-3 or 4-2, how happy would you actually be without the knowledge that a 1-4 start is the reality where Phil was gonna get you? In hindsight 3-3 or 4-2 seems great when comparing it to a 1-4 start. But at 3-3 or even 4-2, without ever seeing Phil take the field, yinz might be clamoring for Phil and calling for Veilleux’s head. Just a thought.

Agree. Hell, there are some on here that would complain if Pitt was undefeated for a straight decade because we wouldn’t win by enough or something

• Haha
Reactions: republion
The way Cincinnati abused Pitt's OL, I can't see CV being anywhere near as productive as Jurk in that game. He sucked, but he did throw 3TDs without a pick in that game.

Fans can throw out "what ifs" all they want. Bottom line: No coach is going to throw a young QB out there behind a makeshift OL for their first start on a Saturday night in two of the most noisy, hostile environments they are ever going to face in their college career. Outside of some injury situation where the starter absolutely can't play, that's just not going to happen.

But feel free to bash the coaches anyway.

The way Cincinnati abused Pitt's OL, I can't see CV being anywhere near as productive as Jurk in that game. He sucked, but he did throw 3TDs without a pick in that game.

Fans can throw out "what ifs" all they want. Bottom line: No coach is going to throw a young QB out there behind a makeshift OL for their first start on a Saturday night in two of the most noisy, hostile environments they are ever going to face in their college career. Outside of some injury situation where the starter absolutely can't play, that's just not going to happen.

But feel free to bash the coaches anyway.
Instead the coach will tank the games away with a veteran QB who can’t complete a pass. He literally did not give his team a chance to win and you could feel the entire team knew it.

lol yeah he couldn’t have beaten cincy or WVU but beat Louisville? The Duzz ball washing is strong
Did you see him play in the 2nd half of the UNC game? Did you see him play in garbage time vs Wofford?

I'm THRILLED Pitt got the win last night. I'm excited that Pitt seems to have a QB with potential. But let's pump the brakes a bit. The kid was 12/26 for 200 yds. Louisville isn't that good & I think the Cards probably win if they had a healthy Jawhar Jordan.

1. We would be 4-2 or 5-1 after tonight had Veilleux started the entire season. This level of QB play was literally all we needed to defeat Cincinnati and WVU. That is 100% on Narduzzi for waiting five games to make the switch and turning this into a lost season.

2. I might be even more frustrated at the fact that we had a better team last year and couldn’t beat a worse Louisville team… I guess that is the epitome of Pitt football!

I digress. Happy to pick up a huge Homecoming win against a ranked opponent. Hail to Pitt!
^^ only a Pitt fan would be so crazy after a huge win

I really dont understand the complete disdain. Sure, we should have pulled Jurkovec early, but first off Veilleux looked like ass until he got the confidence under him, we would have still lost Cincy and WVU with the crap Jurkovec, and probably lost UNC still. We played well, and hung close, but our defense lost that game, and Jurk just cemented the loss.

Really the only win we would have had is VT, and we would have won with even remotely decent QB play.

Jurkovec won the job in Spring, so I cant blame the coaches for that. Personally, after I saw press conferences with Jurkovec I was very skeptical, the guy seemed not so bright, but then again, big ben is equally that way and was a terrific qb.

Pitt had a better chance of beating WVU running the wildcat than with Jurkovec.
I get that. Hindsight is 20/20

If only the coaches had the clairvoyance to know he was going to take his UC performance to a whole new level of shittiness.

If Jurkovec played the way he played in the first half vs UNC, Pitt probably wins at WVU.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Bullshit.

If CV was getting 1st team reps in camp, he would be further along than where he is now after just 1 bye week with 1st team reps.

And he would've had 1st team reps if we hadn't been stupid about bringing in a bum like Jurkovec in the first place.
Lol. Nobody is bringing in a sophomore transfer that's never started a game and giving him first team reps in fall camp.

That's just not going to happen.

Agree. Hell, there are some on here that would complain if Pitt was undefeated for a straight decade because we wouldn’t win by enough or something
Well yeah. That's what Yinzers do. Yinzers aren't happy unless they're bitching about something.

They could be married to Scarlett Johannson and complain that she can't fry chipped chopped ham correctly.

Yeah, I'll say 3-3 with an average QB (which CV seems to be). Louisville really helped us out tonight by not running the ball more, so that at least helps me feel a little better about losing to three lousy teams by trotting Rick Ankiel out on the field.
Uh, maybe Steve Sax?. Ankiel had a wayward cannon. Garvey(?) needed a vacuum cleaner to corral Sax’s throws in the dirt - from close range! Lol.

Uh, maybe Steve Sax?. Ankiel had a wayward cannon. Garvey(?) needed a vacuum cleaner to corral Sax’s throws in the dirt - from close range! Lol.
I wonder if Sax then gestured angrily at the 1B after every wayward throw, then cursed the Dodgers fans to the media after each soul crushing loss he caused?

Reactions: sonofabit
We beat WV with anyone not named Jurkovec. Anyone.

Not sure about Cincy, because we couldn't stop the run and I think they took their foot off the gas.

VT... also not sure, because they seem to have found something in that new QB.

I tend to think we COULD have beaten WVU and won one of the other two.
Couldn’t adjust to VT’s Tuten on the pitches. Just could not.

Did you see CV vs. UNC? He pretty much sucked. He showed potential, but that performance definitely sucked.
Do you think it would have been different if he had been receiving 1St string snaps in practice, instead of wasting them on Phil since last spring?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Do you think it would have been different if he had been receiving 1St string snaps in practice, instead of wasting them on Phil since last spring?
Idk. But no world exists where any staff is going to hand the keys over to young guy that doesn't know the offense over a 6th year guy that does.

Going forward, Veilleux is sure to have some games that are going have the board in meltdown mode.

Wake is actually -1.5 this weekend.

Well yeah. That's what Yinzers do. Yinzers aren't happy unless they're bitching about something.

They could be married to Scarlett Johannson and complain that she can't fry chipped chopped ham correctly.
Most Yinzers don’t care about Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT