ADVERTISEMENT

The Oakland Zoo

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
I read this article this morning. Great to see the Zoo back in full force!

I read this article this morning. Great to see the Zoo back in full force!

Bunch of clueless nerds. No factor whatsoever.

Reactions: Ray-Ray
LOL! The Zoo the past 5 years, including this year, isn't even a faint shadow of what it was back in the early 2000's when Howland and Dixon had our program humming along. I don't know who their leader is, but they need a new one and they need to try and wake up during games. They are usually asleep or on their phones.

LOL! The Zoo the past 5 years, including this year, isn't even a faint shadow of what it was back in the early 2000's when Howland and Dixon had our program humming along. I don't know who their leader is, but they need a new one and they need to try and wake up during games. They are usually asleep or on their phones.
I was a row behind the zoo . They were pre occupied with their phones, taking selfies and basically giving zero effs when the ball was in play

I miss the days when they had the crib sheets that had the dirt on all the opposing players.
Do they still do the “sucks” after they announce each player, and then at the end go “they all suck”?

I was in the zoo a few times in the early 2010’s. Of course, the energy was unreal especially my freshman year. But damn it, we were all millennials and had phones/Twitter and Facebook back then yet still didn’t get too distracted by our phones especially while the ball was in play.

That's sad. Is this a generational thing? The Zoo during the Dixon years was a definite home court advantage/6th man, so to speak
Didn't get a smartphone till after graduation in 2010. Hell I don't even think the Pete had cell signal to text reliably back then.

Lot of good memories with my roommates and now wife in the Zoo 2006-2010. Cutting the lights with the sirens going right before player introductions while the Zoo went absolutely nuts. Definitely got the juices flowing.

Reactions: TWPitt
The students should always be the loudest fans @ Pitt games. Unlike cities where the college team is the main sports focus, Pittsburgh isn't and never will be

The Zoo for the past 6 years has been pathetic. They aren't loud and rarely are engaged in the actual game. Like I said, they need a new leader to kick their a$$es. Their current leaders have no imagination or creativity. But maybe it's just this generation of Pitt students that just doesn't cut it. The Pete used to be loud enough that your neighbor couldn't hear you. Now you can actually talk with your neighbor and they'll hear you clearly.

I go to 90% of the home games. The ones I don't get to are because of family obligations, which are more important. I swear I'm yelling louder than any Zoo member there. They're too busy on their phones to care about the game.

Last edited:
The Zoo for the past 6 years has been pathetic. They aren't loud and rarely are engaged in the actual game. Like I said, they need a new leader to kick their a$$es. But maybe it's just this generation of Pitt students that just doesn't cut it. The Pete used to be loud enough that your neighbor couldn't hear you. Now you can actually talk with your neighbor and they'll hear you clearly.
Are you there screaming ?

The students should always be the loudest fans @ Pitt games. Unlike cities where the college team is the main sports focus, Pittsburgh isn't and never will be
And they are the only atmosphere we have
Because everyone else sits in their hands -
Just like football games
Stop complaining aboht the students
It’s the rest of the crowd that sucks

I mean we have been historically bad the last 6 years, can we give the students a break? Also, homecourt is overrated. NET puts too much emphasis on it. Currently a home win over #76 Michigan is the same Quad 3 win as a road win over #240 Morgan State. That is absolute insanity. Total insanity. Beating Michigan at home is infinitely more difficult than beating Morgan State on the road.

Reactions: PittIsIt1995
I disagree with most in this thread. Sure, the Zoo isn't as great as it was a decade ago, but I thought they were still pretty good on Saturday. After rewatching the game today, and watching so many other games over the last two days, our group is still louder than most student sections in my opinion.

I disagree with most in this thread. Sure, the Zoo isn't as great as it was a decade ago, but I thought they were still pretty good on Saturday. After rewatching the game today, and watching so many other games over the last two days, our group is still louder than most student sections in my opinion.

People love to be miserable. After the last 6 years, going to Pitt basketball games is fun again. I don’t know why people can’t just enjoy that.

People love to be miserable. After the last 6 years, going to Pitt basketball games is fun again. I don’t know why people can’t just enjoy that.

I mean when you have someone who apparently can't figure out why the Zoo has not been as raucous the past six years as it was in the time before that, yeah, I'd say that some people are looking for things to be miserable about.

There hasn't been a lot to cheer for the last few years.

I was impressed with the Zoo's turn-out and sprit on Saturday. If the team keeps on improving, the momentum will build.

Although the team lost, I'm sure they were appreciative of the zoo. A couple winning seasons and the students will get the Oakland zoo back to where it once was.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
And they are the only atmosphere we have
Because everyone else sits in their hands -
Just like football games
Stop complaining aboht the students
It’s the rest of the crowd that sucks
I sit in the nosebleeds, because I'm cheap and I didn't graduate from Pitt. But those goons are useless. It's just a collection of derelicts, who are complete dorks. I mean ,they showed a mennonite looking girl on the jumbotron, who looked like she was afraid of her own shadow and home schooled.
I'd honestly rather prefer the one girl from the Stallings era, who would be the only one throwing out any shade, albeit extremely weak and constantly annoying & embarrassing. At least she paid attention to the game. Maybe the students should quit playing that "Angry Birds" game on their smart phone and actually watch the action.

Reactions: snaphook297
I sit in the nosebleeds, because I'm cheap and I didn't graduate from Pitt. But those goons are useless. It's just a collection of derelicts, who are complete dorks. I mean ,they showed a mennonite looking girl on the jumbotron, who looked like she was afraid of her own shadow and home schooled.
I'd honestly rather prefer the one girl from the Stallings era, who would be the only one throwing out any shade, albeit extremely weak and constantly annoying & embarrassing. At least she paid attention to the game. Maybe the students should quit playing that "Angry Birds" game on their smart phone and actually watch the action.
Why are you watching the Zoo and not paying attention to the game?

Reactions: Ski11585
Some of these posts crack me up. These students were like 8 to 10 years old the last time pitt good and the pete was a madhouse. Pitt finally has a good start to a conference schedule and we are all sitting here dumbfounded that students aren't as enthusiastic as the ones who were used to pitt uconn showdowns? Shocking.

This entire thread is absurd.

Pitt students have shown much better support for their football and basketball teams the last 10 years than regular fans. Like @pitt-girl often says, the students aren't the problem and this need to blame them is ridiculous.
It’s the usual refrain from old men who likewise sit on their hands if they attend, only yell at others to sit down, or complain from their couches

It’s the usual refrain from old men who likewise sit on their hands if they attend, only yell at others to sit down, or complain from their couches
I yell so much, I embarrass my wife and kids. I prefer to go with a friend or by myself.

I yell so much, I embarrass my wife and kids. I prefer to go with a friend or by myself.

When I go with my sons and friends, it's fun because we all yell and high five during the games, so we're into it. If I go by myself and I stand up and cheer, some people look at me like I'm nuts. But that's on them.

My wife is another story. She always gets mad at me because I come home with no voice a lot. She doesn't get that.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
My goal is to get very excited when we go on a nice run, resulting in a time out by the opponent. I sit on the aisle, so I could probably pull this off.

Boston Celtics Reaction GIF by NBA

If we keep winning the Zoo will get there. While not as good as it was, it's still way better than the rest of the fans. My observation from the Clemson game was that everyone is a but rusty.

If we keep winning the Zoo will get there. While not as good as it was, it's still way better than the rest of the fans. My observation from the Clemson game was that everyone is a but rusty.
I get the "rusty" part. As I reflect on this post, my original thought was that it is great that the students are returning to the Pete, and that the Zoo is back. The current undergrads are finally getting to see a Pitt team play basketball, so it stands to reason that the Zoo is in a re-organization/re-building mode. It's hard to build spirit when the team is so disjointed and clearly out-manned.

Whether this year's version of the Panthers is good enough to merit a tournament bid remains to be seen. Lots of home games left. I hope both the Zoo AND the adult fans in attendance will have a positive affect

Reactions: RandyReutershan
I get the "rusty" part. As I reflect on this post, my original thought was that it is great that the students are returning to the Pete, and that the Zoo is back. The current undergrads are finally getting to see a Pitt team play basketball, so it stands to reason that the Zoo is in a re-organization/re-building mode. It's hard to build spirit when the team is so disjointed and clearly out-manned.

Whether this year's version of the Panthers is good enough to merit a tournament bid remains to be seen. Lots of home games left. I hope both the Zoo AND the adult fans in attendance will have a positive affect

Also, the Zoo being a big factor during the Glory Days was vastly overrated. That team won because they were better than the other team on the court in most games. Sure, the Zoo was good and all that but had we played in an empty arena, our home record wouldn't have been much different. In the Dixon 2 days, the team was still an NCAAT bubble type program playing in a lot of big games but we lost a lot of home games even though the Zoo was still good. Why? We weren't as good as we used to be.

Reactions: Drew1208
Also, the Zoo being a big factor during the Glory Days was vastly overrated. That team won because they were better than the other team on the court in most games. Sure, the Zoo was good and all that but had we played in an empty arena, our home record wouldn't have been much different. In the Dixon 2 days, the team was still an NCAAT bubble type program playing in a lot of big games but we lost a lot of home games even though the Zoo was still good. Why? We weren't as good as we used to be.
"Overrated" is a bit strong. The Zoo was a factor. In the close games. Ask the players. Ask the opposing team's players. Ask the announcers who did the games. The Pete was a tough place to play, both because of the talent AND of the atmosphere.

Now, MY perspective is totally based on what I witnessed on TV. As many who've followed me know, I lived both in Florida and Arizona the past decade and a half, so attending a game AT the Pete was not possible. I'd be curious to know what other ticket holders at Pitt home games have to comment ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT