ADVERTISEMENT

The other serial Penn State sexual predator.

Good article… I stopped about 3/4 of the way through for now because it’s completely sickening… my Dad was right when I was a kid… in the 70s….he never bought the “Saint Joe PITT are thugs”!bullshit….it’s disgraceful how their fanbase degraded our school for decades… Eff them.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Got to appreciate the delusion over there.

"ESPN is just pissed off that for all their lies, slander and the organized lynching by the sports press, the facts have shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that Joe did the right thing. They will continue to drag him down until the end of days."

What's also interesting, is that the PG (to my knowledge) never uncovered any of this. It's the top story on ESPN.com but I doubt the PG will find it even newsworthy.
Not surprising. It appears the media was aware of the tickle monster as well but never investigated or reported. It took a courageous young lady (Sarah Ganim) who was likely too naïve to know what she was getting herself into when she started her investigation and too under the radar to get shut down. Otherwise Jerry might still be victimizing kids on PSU property.

Not surprising. It appears the media was aware of the tickle monster as well but never investigated or reported. It took a courageous young lady (Sarah Ganim) who was likely too naïve to know what she was getting herself into when she started her investigation and too under the radar to get shut down. Otherwise Jerry might still be victimizing kids on PSU property.

That's a good point. Had she never looked into it, that dude would still be bringing kids into his home and the Penn State showers. It's really unbelievable that they still don't realize that the weight of Paterno and Penn State football is what allowed those things to happen for so long without intervention. They always want to blame someone else, like ESPN and the media as if it were all made up. Disgusting.

And let’s not forget that most of her research on Sandusky and interviews with survivors came when she was employed by the Centre Daily Times (local State College paper). The paper is so in bed with PSU that it wouldn’t publish her expose so she went to Harrisburg.

My favorite PSU fan comment of the day said something to the effect of how convenient it was that ESPN waited until after Hodne died to do this piece so that he didn’t have a chance to defend himself.

I guess his many theft, rape and murder trials left some doubt about his character.
It is obvious this whole media plot to undermine Paterno and the Penn State model started in 1978....and was a covert activity to continue to erode at their success despite it being honorable unlike other schools. I mean, it is unbelievable the media would spend 44 years tearing down what Joe built by having patsies like Hodne, Chesley and Sandusky.

I mean what other program hasn't had at least two guys commit brutal murder and a have and enable a serial pedophile as a lead assistant coach? Pitt fans act like this is something unusual.

Disgusting. No surprise they hired Franklin, since he had experience calling victims and trying to smooth things over. Must be a head coaching requirement there.

The coach who recruited both of them remembers Hodne as a good kid: "If he wasn't a good kid, we wouldn't have brought him to Penn State."... in a story about a jailed sexual predator. Their arrogance and sickening self-righteousness has no bounds...

Last edited:
My favorite PSU fan comment of the day said something to the effect of how convenient it was that ESPN waited until after Hodne died to do this piece so that he didn’t have a chance to defend himself.

I guess his many theft, rape and murder trials left some doubt about his character.
On the flip side, it could be even more accurately noted that the story was kept buried on purpose, until he died so it wouldn’t have, ahem, ruined his weekend.

On the flip side, it could be even more accurately noted that the story was kept buried on purpose, until he died so it wouldn’t have, ahem, ruined his weekend.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Would you want that dude pissed off at you? Imagine writing that story and then hearing that he escaped from prison.

The coach who recruited both of them remembers Hodne as a good kid: "If he wasn't a good kid, we wouldn't have brought him to Penn State."... in a story about a jailed sexual predator. Their arrogance and slickening self-righteousness has no bounds...

That's kind of like saying "if Hitler wasn't a good fellow, we wouldn't have brokered a peace agreement in Munich".

Funny you should bring that up. I found this nugget in the article:

"There is no record of a second call to Paterno on that Sunday. Hodne remained free for the weekend, a bye week for the Nittany Lions. He turned himself into Penn State University Police on Monday, Oct. 16, 1978, at 6:45 a.m."

I'm spotting a trend.

Got to appreciate the delusion over there.

"ESPN is just pissed off that for all their lies, slander and the organized lynching by the sports press, the facts have shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that Joe did the right thing. They will continue to drag him down until the end of days."
I'm not going over there but how can anyone say Joe did the right thing ??? The man was pure scum and a fraud.

Funny you should bring that up. I found this nugget in the article:

"There is no record of a second call to Paterno on that Sunday. Hodne remained free for the weekend, a bye week for the Nittany Lions. He turned himself into Penn State University Police on Monday, Oct. 16, 1978, at 6:45 a.m."

I'm spotting a trend.
😩🤮😡

Wow! that is some crazy story, this Hodne guy was like Jason or Michael Myers, amazing this story had never been told.

Like I said, how ironic it was hearing how wonderful Penn State football was. That their football program was the model and all others, especially Pitt was full of thugs and cheaters. All of this was going on concurrently with Pitt always being looked down on by PSU and their media lackeys.

"I don't want to leave football to the Barry Switzer's and Jackie Sherrill's." Yeah, I don't want to leave jurisprudence up to Joe Paterno.
There's a quote in the article [paraphrasing here] - "we had kids with no problems who got straight A's...."

Here is the problem: when you live by a false narrative, you must do whatever it takes to keep that façade going....kill, destroy, lie, blame others, etc etc. And that's what they did. I was an athlete at Pitt and competed against them all them time...they weren't angels. Their actions were just buried under the rock of self-righteousness.

What's also scary is that there are probably even more monsters swept under the rug at Penn State. When these dudes get the sense that they can get away with certain things, they gravitate to the place. Think pedophile priests who know they will be trusted being around young boys. It's one thing to know you are gonna get a car and some cash from a booster, and so you end up at a school you like that will also give your the goods. But when it's a person like Jerry or this Hodne maniac, they have a sixth sense for knowing that PSU and Paterno were a farce and they can get away with a lot.

Irv Pankey deserves kudos. If Paterno was 1/10th the man that Pankey was, then most of these vile, despicable acts that were swept under the rug would have been handled properly. It’s a shame so many innocent lives were ruined because of the facade of Success With Honor.

Reactions: USN_Panther
What's also scary is that there are probably even more monsters swept under the rug at Penn State. When these dudes get the sense that they can get away with certain things, they gravitate to the place. Think pedophile priests who know they will be trusted being around young boys. It's one thing to know you are gonna get a car and some cash from a booster, and so you end up at a school you like that will also give your the goods. But when it's a person like Jerry or this Hodne maniac, they have a sixth sense for knowing that PSU and Paterno were a farce and they can get away with a lot.
There was a report that came out during the Ped State scandal when Sandusky was being charged that Second Mile kids were being pimped out to wealthy Ped State alums. Unfortunately there are a lot of skeletons in the Ped State closet.

My favorite line in the book ..
Excuse my language. F--- you, Joe Paterno"

RIAULiot_400x400.jpg

Beaten up as a child and an adult.
You Nitters are all alike. You, Zeigler, Sandusky, Paturdo, Spanier, Hodne all pretty much the same person. My brother is a Nitter. I loved him as is required for a brother, but I never really would leave him alone with my children when they were younger. You should be required to wear an ankle bracelet and stay at least 200 metres from any school or park.

One of the best days of my life was when my Nitter brother was visiting me in NZ. He thought it would mess with me if he wore PSU clothing literally every day he was here. The Sandusky thing broke while he was here, as did the firing of JoePa. He literally had no other clothing except for PSU gear, and he was so in denial he just rationalized how it was all a conspiracy. His poor wife had to deal with him in complete tin-foil hat denial, and me just bashing at him the whole time. I found out by my son texting me telling me that JoePa had been fired. We were sitting in a pub in Queenstown having lunch. I told this to my brother and he just kind of lost it, calling me and my son a liar. I had the bartender put ESPN on the TV, and there it was. It was glorious.
We went on a guided fly fishing outing the next day, and he just could not function. He's a good fisherman. There were sighted rainbows in clear fast water. He just couldn't cast, couldn't detect the take, couldn't strike. It's like he didn't care. I just reflected while looking at the beautiful snow capped mountains that JoePa had ruined my brother's trip (which should have been his best day of fishing ever) and I think actually kind of ruined my brother. Everything he believed to be true was a lie. He didn't accept it at that juncture, but he knew it.
That day actually negatively affected our relationship. I hope that James Franklin sinks them deep enough that we can patch it back up and he can come to the realisation that I am right and always was.
My son was talking about that day today as he saw the news about the PSU atrocities coming to light. He noted that he hasn't seen his uncle since that fateful trip.

One of the best days of my life was when my Nitter brother was visiting me in NZ. He thought it would mess with me if he wore PSU clothing literally every day he was here. The Sandusky thing broke while he was here, as did the firing of JoePa. He literally had no other clothing except for PSU gear, and he was so in denial he just rationalized how it was all a conspiracy. His poor wife had to deal with him in complete tin-foil hat denial, and me just bashing at him the whole time. I found out by my son texting me telling me that JoePa had been fired. We were sitting in a pub in Queenstown having lunch. I told this to my brother and he just kind of lost it, calling me and my son a liar. I had the bartender put ESPN on the TV, and there it was. It was glorious.
We went on a guided fly fishing outing the next day, and he just could not function. He's a good fisherman. There were sighted rainbows in clear fast water. He just couldn't cast, couldn't detect the take, couldn't strike. It's like he didn't care. I just reflected while looking at the beautiful snow capped mountains that JoePa had ruined my brother's trip (which should have been his best day of fishing ever) and I think actually kind of ruined my brother. Everything he believed to be true was a lie. He didn't accept it at that juncture, but he knew it.
That day actually negatively affected our relationship. I hope that James Franklin sinks them deep enough that we can patch it back up and he can come to the realisation that I am right and always was.
My son was talking about that day today as he saw the news about the PSU atrocities coming to light. He noted that he hasn't seen his uncle since that fateful trip.
A story that has been repeated a thousand times. Otherwise bright, seemingly good people caught up in the cult of Joe. Many people in the central PA area still are in denial. I have people in my family like that as well and it is easy to find people in that area still clinging to conspiratorial theories to avoid a reality that undermines what they put so much personal capital into believing and supporting for so many years.

It's not a new story. The results of cult of personalities can be seen throughout history. When you entangle these cults of personality in moral codes, like 'success with honor,' 'the penn state way,' and 'what would joe do?,' then they can become dangerous because it gives followers and leaders a sense of nearly any means justifying the ends of some self-proclaimed higher purpose. Rarely does that much damage occur from a cult centered around something ultimately so trivial as a sports team, which is sad. But thank god it was about something so trivial. When its not, well, you can see the result in Russia right now.

Reactions: DruidTM
A story that has been repeated a thousand times. Otherwise bright, seemingly good people caught up in the cult of Joe. Many people in the central PA area still are in denial. I have people in my family like that as well and it is easy to find people in that area still clinging to conspiratorial theories to avoid a reality that undermines what they put so much personal capital into believing and supporting for so many years.

It's not a new story. The results of cult of personalities can be seen throughout history. When you entangle these cults of personality in moral codes, like 'success with honor,' 'the penn state way,' and 'what would joe do?,' then they can become dangerous because it gives followers and leaders a sense of nearly any means justifying the ends of some self-proclaimed higher purpose. Rarely does that much damage occur from a cult centered around something ultimately so trivial as a sports team, which is sad. But thank god it was about something so trivial. When its not, well, you can see the result in Russia right now.
Paco, in the last decade or so..... I think we can say: A story that has been repeated a thousand times. Otherwise bright, seemingly good people caught up in the cult of <insert demagogue here>.

Many similar stories of friction within the families of those who had siblings or parents in the Peoples Temple at Jonestown...

Many similar stories of friction within the families of those who had siblings or parents in the Peoples Temple at Jonestown...
That was a disconcerting post. Heaven knows there have been a significant number of bad Pitt losses, coaching fiascos and such. The news of those have never caused me to not be able to function normally in everyday activities, as was described by that poster about his brother. It explains a good bit about the toxic PSU culture.

And PSU fans will be dismissing them as false lies for that long, too.
Oh, c’mon now. This is all stuff being instigated by fans of other schools due to “envy and jealousy” of the nits and JVP, don’tcha know? Just another “witch hunt” (to quote Saint Joe). 😏

Many people from around here and who were familiar with the way things were run up there, knew the reality. But no Internet or smart devices then. Joe ran a tighter ship than Kim Jong-un. EVERYTHING ran through him (especially when it came to crime and police matters) and he just lied, intimidated and manipulated his way through any “problems”.

The media - most definitely including the Pittsburgh area media - were compliant and thereby complicit in the fraud, lies and hypocrisy. There are still those that deny it all. I guess in many cases because they were so embarrassed to have been so badly duped that they participated in the travesty.

Just another awareness issue about how “THEY ARE”! 😕

Last edited:
Oh, c’mon now. This is all stuff being instigated by fans of other schools due to “envy and jealousy” of the nits and JVP, don’tcha know? Just another “witch hunt” (to quote Saint Joe). 😏

Many people from around here and who were familiar with the way things were run up there, knew the reality. But no Internet or smart devices then. Joe ran a tighter ship than Kim Jong-un. EVERYTHING ran through him (especially when it came to crime and police matters) and he just lied, intimidated and manipulated his way through any “problems”.

The media - most definitely including the Pittsburgh area media - were compliant and thereby complicit in the fraud, lies and hypocrisy. There are still those that deny it all. I guess in many cases because they were so embarrassed to have been so badly duped that they participated in the travesty.

Just another awareness issue about how “THEY ARE”! 😕

Pre-internet, they controlled the media credentials and thus controlled the media. Say you were put on the PSU beat at the Altoona Mirror or Centre Daily Times and ran afoul of Joe by writing about some player's legal indiscretion. Your sportswriting career was over.

Pre-internet, they controlled the media credentials and thus controlled the media. Say you were put on the PSU beat at the Altoona Mirror or Centre Daily Times and ran afoul of Joe by writing about some player's legal indiscretion. Your sportswriting career was over.
Yep and writing for an Altoona newspaper was pretty much the bottom of a journalist's aspirations.

Reactions: mike 301
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT