ADVERTISEMENT

The Pirates are doing it again...

By the way, did Hayes get over on the Pirates or what? They paid $70 million for a dude hitting .244 with 6 HR's and 26 RBI's? Oh oh wait I forgot, he's a great fielder so that's wonderful lol.

Another in a long line of first round busts this organization has had. He never hit in the minors, had 1 good month in the covid shortened season and got us all excited. Unfortunately he looks worse and worse with every at-bat. I think if he was with a competent organization who could develop players and maximize their potential he could probably be a lot better. Sadly though he's with the bottom feeder Pirates who have shitty coaches from top to botton in all aspects of their minors and major league team. So I don't see him developing and turning the corner which is a shame.

At least he was smart and able to lock up $70 million for himself so kudos for that.

What about the guys they didn't dump and should have?
The one puzzle is Gamel. His contract runs out, they won't resign him, there had to be at least SOME interest from a team needing a 4th outfielder. They guy can play defense.

Here, he's just taking AB's away from Suwinski and a couple of other young guys who need to play.

They could have also moved another reliever or two given their current depth there.

Some of the guys on the roster obviously weren't in demand. They signed a few of these guys as lottery tickets, hoping they had decent years and could be flipped at the deadline for young talent. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Reactions: pittdan77
The one puzzle is Gamel. His contract runs out, they won't resign him, there had to be at least SOME interest from a team needing a 4th outfielder. They guy can play defense.

Here, he's just taking AB's away from Suwinski and a couple of other young guys who need to play.

They could have also moved another reliever or two given their current depth there.

Some of the guys on the roster obviously weren't in demand. They signed a few of these guys as lottery tickets, hoping they had decent years and could be flipped at the deadline for young talent. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

They must feel his presence outweighed what marginal return they would have gotten for him. Wouldn't mind seeing him back on a cheap one or two year deal as a depth OF piece. He's only 30.

As for Suwinski, I think they'll be super conservative bringing him back up given the massive slump he had before getting sent down.

They must feel his presence outweighed what marginal return they would have gotten for him. Wouldn't mind seeing him back on a cheap one or two year deal as a depth OF piece. He's only 30.

As for Suwinski, I think they'll be super conservative bringing him back up given the massive slump he had before getting sent down.
Suwinski is hitting minor league pitching, even after he was sent back down.
He needs to learn how to hit/adjust to ML pitching. He needs ML AB's to do that. He's a very important piece for the Pirates. A lefty with a power stroke made for PNC Park. He's proven he can do it, now he has to do it more consistently.

That would be amazing because he was basically a throw in to the PIrates from a previous deal.

Suwinski is hitting minor league pitching, even after he was sent back down.
He needs to learn how to hit/adjust to ML pitching. He needs ML AB's to do that. He's a very important piece for the Pirates. A lefty with a power stroke made for PNC Park. He's proven he can do it, now he has to do it more consistently.

That would be amazing because he was basically a throw in to the PIrates from a previous deal.

There's a certain dancer here who would much rather have the guy that they traded to get him (and Tucapito Marcano) because trading known quantities for prospects is an awful way to run a team.

You know, the guy who hit .267/.327/.335 last year after the Pirates traded him, and then he got traded again and is hitting .247/.309/.314 this year. That guy.

Why can't the Pirates keep more guys like him? Imaging how good the Pirates would be if they had a guy, or well, OK, another guy, hitting like that in the lineup!

AND, just like that, the Young Pirates come back in three consecutive games to sweep the first place Brewers.
3B Hayes with a game saving ridiculous snag of a grounder destined for the corner, and instead turns it into a DP.
They, Reynolds doubles in the tying run, and scores on a WP to win it.

Recently called up Marcado, the primary player from the Frazier deal, had quite a series. Cruz with a couple tape measure shots, including a walk off winner.

They aren't going to win anything this year, but you can start to see it...........there is something there.

Reactions: ONGB
AND, just like that, the Young Pirates come back in three consecutive games to sweep the first place Brewers.
3B Hayes with a game saving ridiculous snag of a grounder destined for the corner, and instead turns it into a DP.

Recently called up Marcado, the primary player from the Frazier deal, had quite a series. Cruz with a couple tape measure shots, including a walk off winner.

They aren't going to win anything this year, but you can start to see it...........there is something there.
Most importantly, Cruz’s exit velocity on a single he hit reached 114mph.

in all seriousness, it will be fun to follow this young core. If they’re to follow the old blueprint, they have to strike lightening in a bottle and find both a Lariano and Burnett and have a back of the bullpen trio to add to this core in a few years. With the payroll the pirates keep, hopefully lightening will strike again and all those things will break their way.

in all seriousness, it will be fun to follow this young core. If they’re to follow the old blueprint, they have to strike lightening in a bottle and find both a Lariano and Burnett and have a back of the bullpen trio to add to this core in a few years. With the payroll the pirates keep, hopefully lightening will strike again and all those things will break their way.
Yeah they are fun to watch. This is what you want to see. These last few wins, Reynolds, Hayes, Cruz, Marcado were the primary reasons. And that is the guys you want to see making plays.

Seems they have solved the bullpen riddle.
They always seem to cobble together a very good pen. This year's version has been pretty outstanding.
It will be the starters, and filling a couple of glaring holes-1B and C, and they'll have a chance.

They're finally scoring some runs, and this week at least they did it against some pretty damn good pitchers.

Yeah they are fun to watch. This is what you want to see. These last few wins, Reynolds, Hayes, Cruz, Marcado were the primary reasons. And that is the guys you want to see making plays.
It was nice to see two walkoffs the past two days. I only follow loosely but it seems like the pirates are losing in that manner all the time. Maybe in reality that’s not the case but it always seems to be that way for me. That’s what brought to mind the back of the bullpen blueprint. Those teams of a few years ago were fun to watch because if they were winning going into the 7th inning, there was a good chance the game was locked up.

They always seem to cobble together a very good pen. This year's version has been pretty outstanding.
It will be the starters, and filling a couple of glaring holes-1B and C, and they'll have a chance.

They're finally scoring some runs, and this week at least they did it against some pretty damn good pitchers.
Ha! Then disregard my previous post about the bullpen. Lol.

Well catcher should be fine, right? Their top prospect is a can’t miss allegedly and he’s a catcher??

Well catcher should be fine, right? Their top prospect is a can’t miss allegedly and he’s a catcher??
Have read mixed reviews about Davis behind the plate. His defense isn't too good. Good arm but shaky receiver and framer. Robo umpire would help him if it comes. May project at 1B?

They also have Rodriguez at C in A ball. He's tearing it up at the plate, but supposedly just an average C. See how he progresses.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Ok. Then perhaps my casual perception was reality.
Crowe and Bednar have been very good.
They picked up 3 good arms in recent deals.

A big problem is the starters don't get through 5 innings, and all those innings stress the pen.

Have read mixed reviews about Davis behind the plate. His defense isn't too good. Good arm but shaky receiver and framer. Robo umpire would help him if it comes. May project at 1B?

They also have Rodriguez at C in A ball. He's tearing it up at the plate, but supposedly just an average C. See how he progresses.
Thank you.

Davis needs to wear more armor or learn better how to get hit by a pitch.
Pretty much all,if not all,of his stints on IR are results of HBP.
As was said,robo-ump,while im not sure how i feel about that,could get him up sooner rather than later.

And as nice as the wins are,these seems like one of the few stretches this year where they've strung together a few games of more than 6 or so hits.
Yea the pitching has sucked alot but even a Vezina winning goalie can't win every game 1-0 or 2-1. That’s alot of pressure. If they can be consistent in not getting down by 3 or 4 by the third inning i think that might help the bats relax also although these games have been come from behind W's

Bednar was really good for the first few months, until he started breaking down because of the way that they used him. Crowe has also been pretty good. If you pay more attention when they are winning you are more likely to see those guys, which could skew your perception.
I usually turn them on and fall asleep with the timer on the TV. Sometimes I have to check the paper to see if they won or not.

Maybe I dreamed about the good bullpen!

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I just can't believe the dismissive takes on Cruz. He is doing upper 2% level stuff for MLB players. And people want to compare him with Polanco because he got picked off of 2nd one game? Come on man. I understand the negativity and pessimism around the Pirates, but that's ridiculous. He already is in the top 8 of active players who have had base hits with 118+ MPH exit velocity. And some of those guys have been in the league for 10 years. He has been in the league for 40 games.

Im happy to see Cruz is at least up to .220 so maybe he's getting more confident.
Hell Schwarber is barely above .200 and is mid 30s in HR.
I'd take that from Cruz and less as he's learning to lay off the slider better at his age.
With a team next to last in BA we can't be dismissive of anyone with anything near his potential.

Delay came out of nowhere and seems to have been productive when he's been in there. His ceiling may only be Jacob Stallings-level, but they may as well play him while he reaches it.

Is that you?
Nice pic
Haha. Let me clarify that it is not me. Personally, I would never disrespect someone like what that kid did to Nutting with that shirt. But it does strike me as funny every time I watch it because Nuttings reaction is priceless.

Winning three in a row is nice, but the reality of it is, the Pirates are not a good team. Those three wins they just got will not even be remembered when you look at the 95-100 loses they will have at the end of the year. This is just normal MO for the Pirates organization. Would love to see a competitive team but I'm not drinking what the organization is selling quite yet.

Winning three in a row is nice, but the reality of it is, the Pirates are not a good team. Those three wins they just got will not even be remembered when you look at the 95-100 loses they will have at the end of the year. This is just normal MO for the Pirates organization. Would love to see a competitive team but I'm not drinking what the organization is selling quite yet.

I'm not worried about this year. I'll be concerned if this team hasn't shown massive improvement in the record by the end of next year. They won't need to be a playoff contender yet but no reason they shouldn't be pushing .500 in 2023.

The downside of using my phone only is it took me 3-4 views to make out what his shirt said.

pretty darned funny
The fact that the video embedded in this thread barely got any reaction from anyone makes me believe that you’re not the only one who has a hard time….because Nuttings reaction to the shirt is priceless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT