ADVERTISEMENT

The Reality of Present State

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
There is definitely a lot frustration right now, and I know it comes from passion. The reality is, nothing is going to change things much for the 2019-20 season. There were just too many misses. At this point, it pretty much it is what it is. Short of a miracle falling into their lap. I'm not ruling out a solid late addition but after a certain point this offseason, it was going to come down to how much Xavier/Trey/Terrell Brown improve.

Say what you want about Terrell Brown, and I get it. However, I think too many people have written him off. He has flashed more than some of the quality bigs Pitt has had over the years in the first two years. Sure, he plays way too soft and inconsistent, but he has two years left and has the body for it. Over the last month or two, I have seen so many thinking a Khadim Sy or Joe Jones is going to come in here and make a difference. I just never saw these kind of targets instantly coming in and beating out Terrell Brown. Would it have been a nice addition? Some of the kids could have been. My point remains that the opportunity to make a major difference this year is about to see the window officially close.

Eric Hamilton represents the current reality. It is literally a piece at back up enter, which they need. No one, including the staff, thinks the kid is a double double machine. The reality is, you cannot find that any more. We can go through the details of how we got to this point for days, but the point remains. This program has basically been playing back up centers at the position for 5-6 years. Eric Hamilton is not going to move the needle, but I doubt anyone could at this point.

Any grad transfer that comes in still represents a low risk move. Right now, this team will go as far as the back court and Terrell take them. Can X get better and become more efficient? Can Trey develop his outside shot? If they both take a step forward, that is a great start and each has been through the ringer for a year. If Terrell Brown can just become consistent and average ~10 and 6, that is a nice trio that can probably get you further out of the basement this year.

Which leads me to the point that it is all about the 2020 class for this program now. They know it. It doesn't matter if they whiff 20 more times this summer in the 2019 class, if they hit on prime targets in 2020. That is what it comes down to. If they do that, they will still be on pace for a resurgence. Especially if they can keep the back court for a third year. A class somewhere around Davis, Gordon, and Hugley would be a nice follow-up behind Drumgoole. Now, based on what has happened over the last year, it is understandable to doubt a class like that can happen. The history would be on that side of the argument at the moment. It can all change very quickly though. If he can produce a solid 2020 class, then I think this thing can take off. If he doesn't and they have the early departures of Johnson and McGowens, we may need to re-evaluate expectations.

Maybe the staff just needs the extra year to build those relationships and close. We will see. I am of the belief that at least one change needs to be made and the staff needs more recruiting ability, but now you run the risk of restarting those relationships again. Although a lot of these coaches do have players in their back pocket.

So with all that being said, I guess my main comment is that it is okay to be discouraged but also still believe in the big picture. I think it is completely fair to wonder what is going on, while still having confidence in Jeff Capel. This team should win a few more games and be more competitive this year. That will help the cause. None of these recent misses were going to swing this season significantly. Was this current recruiting cycle just bad timing or symbolic of bigger issues? We should be able to start answering that question in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News