ADVERTISEMENT

The sad thing is, you could see this coming years ago

Oct 11, 2020
Even going back to 2016, there were major red flags with Pat, especially when you start looking back after the fact. 2016, we all basically thought Ryan Lewis and Maddox sucked, and we thought there might be issues with Whitehead...however, those guys all play in the NFL so the issue was obviously more schemed base. I suspect we see the same thing with Ford and Hamlin going forward. We are still seeing the exact same issues today with the scheme, and this supposedly great defense keeps letting QB's throw for 300 yards or more on them and is constantly letting up huge plays, just like in 2016.

As you went forward though, there were so many disturbing trends. First, you had 2017 where the offense completely fell apart as you started to lose more and more Chryst guys, and even when we had a historic run game in 2018 we could not complete a forward pass and against good teams we got absolutely destroyed. Also, every offensive success this team has had under Narduzzi has been mainly because of Chryst players. 2016, outside of Peterman, was all Chryst guys, and the 2018 running game was almost all built on Chryst players. It is no coincidence that last year, when all the Chryst players were gone, the offense went to complete garbage. Kenny Pickett isn't bad, and if you surrounded him with talent he could win a lot of games, but we literally have MAC level talent throughout the offense, especially on the line, RB and TE, and at TE it might not even be MAC level to be honest. This is absolutely Pat's biggest failure...the complete inability to recruit ANY offensive players, and it is literally killing the program.

On top of all that, you continue to see the same stupid mistakes. Drops, avoidable penalties, and dumb time outs. It really is mind blowing that in year 6 we have to take TO's on the first play of a drive and that we continue to make horrendous procedure penalties.

I know the COVID situation makes things tough, and I know even moreso with the buyout, but you CANNOT let Pat come back. He should have been fired after how last year ended, and now things are even more difficult but I really don't know if you have a choice. THere is a chance if he sticks around you crater the program to Majors II levels. This was supposed to be his best team, and it is falling off a cliff, and we all knew next year you were losing a ton of talent so that could be an even bigger disaster.

Bring in a young, offensive minded head coach. Implement a modern offense as really the spread if run properly can hide a lot of talent deficiencies. Hell, I don't know if it even needs to be the spread as Chryst's old school pound it down your throat offense was about to take off here as we saw a ton of signs of it his last year, and his players put up one of the best offensive years Pitt has ever had in 2016. Either way, I do NOT want a defense first head coach as unless you are the elite of the elite with a ton of NFL talent you will not win that way, and honestly even then in this day of college football you need to score.

In any case though, enough is enough.

The alleged defensive gemius needs to walk down the hall amd talk to a real defensive genius Mike Tomlin . The duzz pass defense atinks and makes the players esp d backs awful

Reactions: FayettePittDad
Even going back to 2016, there were major red flags with Pat, especially when you start looking back after the fact. 2016, we all basically thought Ryan Lewis and Maddox sucked, and we thought there might be issues with Whitehead...however, those guys all play in the NFL so the issue was obviously more schemed base. I suspect we see the same thing with Ford and Hamlin going forward. We are still seeing the exact same issues today with the scheme, and this supposedly great defense keeps letting QB's throw for 300 yards or more on them and is constantly letting up huge plays, just like in 2016.

As you went forward though, there were so many disturbing trends. First, you had 2017 where the offense completely fell apart as you started to lose more and more Chryst guys, and even when we had a historic run game in 2018 we could not complete a forward pass and against good teams we got absolutely destroyed. Also, every offensive success this team has had under Narduzzi has been mainly because of Chryst players. 2016, outside of Peterman, was all Chryst guys, and the 2018 running game was almost all built on Chryst players. It is no coincidence that last year, when all the Chryst players were gone, the offense went to complete garbage. Kenny Pickett isn't bad, and if you surrounded him with talent he could win a lot of games, but we literally have MAC level talent throughout the offense, especially on the line, RB and TE, and at TE it might not even be MAC level to be honest. This is absolutely Pat's biggest failure...the complete inability to recruit ANY offensive players, and it is literally killing the program.

On top of all that, you continue to see the same stupid mistakes. Drops, avoidable penalties, and dumb time outs. It really is mind blowing that in year 6 we have to take TO's on the first play of a drive and that we continue to make horrendous procedure penalties.

I know the COVID situation makes things tough, and I know even moreso with the buyout, but you CANNOT let Pat come back. He should have been fired after how last year ended, and now things are even more difficult but I really don't know if you have a choice. THere is a chance if he sticks around you crater the program to Majors II levels. This was supposed to be his best team, and it is falling off a cliff, and we all knew next year you were losing a ton of talent so that could be an even bigger disaster.

Bring in a young, offensive minded head coach. Implement a modern offense as really the spread if run properly can hide a lot of talent deficiencies. Hell, I don't know if it even needs to be the spread as Chryst's old school pound it down your throat offense was about to take off here as we saw a ton of signs of it his last year, and his players put up one of the best offensive years Pitt has ever had in 2016. Either way, I do NOT want a defense first head coach as unless you are the elite of the elite with a ton of NFL talent you will not win that way, and honestly even then in this day of college football you need to score.

In any case though, enough is enough.

Chryst or Canada? And the Dis on the field way too long. And MAC level talent? Sibley was a tOSU recruit. Izzy is good. Addison is good. Yellen was at ASU for a yr. I am not completely sold that Pat will make it through the end of his contract and if they replace him next yr, I won’t be furious, but we need an OC. Whipple can’t score. Same with last yr, we would move the ball even with all the drops, get in the red zone and fall apart. That is not the players, that is the play calling. Why Izzy and/or Sibley aren’t playing is mind blowing.

Chryst or Canada? And the Dis on the field way too long. And MAC level talent? Sibley was a tOSU recruit. Izzy is good. Addison is good. Yellen was at ASU for a yr. I am not completely sold that Pat will make it through the end of his contract and if they replace him next yr, I won’t be furious, but we need an OC. Whipple can’t score. Same with last yr, we would move the ball even with all the drops, get in the red zone and fall apart. That is not the players, that is the play calling. Why Izzy and/or Sibley aren’t playing is mind blowing.

In what sense could we move the ball last year? We were 87th in yards per game last year?

As for Yellen, do you really want to make that comparison? Max Browne was at USC and was awful.

No more Big 10 guys please. If you're going to hire an assistant, why not someone off of the staff of Saban or Dabo? We need guys who can recruit in the footprint of our league.
No imore assts coaches . UVA brought in a proven winner va tech brought in a good sitting HC no more fat 10 assts where they spend 4 years learning to be a hc at our expense

Reactions: FayettePittDad
No more Big 10 guys please. If you're going to hire an assistant, why not someone off of the staff of Saban or Dabo? We need guys who can recruit in the footprint of our league.
You need to hire a good, smart, young coach who can sell ice to an Eskimo. It doesn’t matter where he comes from. You either have the leadership qualities to be a head coach or you don’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT