ADVERTISEMENT

The Tale of Two Quarterbacks!

IRoar4Pitt

Scholarship
Sep 8, 2017
Tale of two Quarterbacks:

One QB completed 17 passes on 29 attempts for 211 yards for no touchdowns and one interception. He ran 5 times for 10 yards and 0 touchdowns achieving 5 fantasy points This quarterback is a fan favorite and is being hailed as a hero by his fans and local media.

The other QB completed 18 passes on 30 attempts for 199 yards (discounted due to 6 sacks) and 0 interceptions and 0 touchdown. He ran 8 times for 51 yards and 1 touchdown for 18 fantasy points. He is also a fan favorite but is being savaged by his local media.

Both QB’s led their teams to unexpected victory.

The first QB is veteran Washington QB Taylor Heinicke, the second is obviously Steeler rookie Kenny Picket.

So why the difference in media coverage? The answer in this case leads to one unscrupulous “journalist”, Mark Madden, who constantly voices his outrageous bias against all things Pitt and Kenny Pickett in order to gain readers through inflaming content. I am still not over the “ Kenny Pickett is a cheater” article. Now, Madden continues his jealousy tour with how afraid Picket appears and that Pickett’s ineptitude demands a change. I would pay very good money to see Madden get sacked by NFL players 6 times and see if he hangs in to lead his team to victory Like Kenny Pickett did.

Fear is always present in the NFL, it is a very violent game, unlike the game of self serving belittlement that Madden plays.

madden will take the unpopular opinion every time to get listeners and clicks. If everyone hated pickett, he'd be saying how good he is. it's really that simple.
This is it in a nutshell. He knows which way the wind is blowing so he will take the unpopular opinion to fuel his show.

I used to listen but his JuJu bashing became a bit too much. I’m not even a Juju fan and I somewhat agreed with him on Juju…but the acted became tiresome and I don’t really listen much anymore. I used to listen daily.

But Monday I had his opening segment on and then turned him off so I don’t know how the show went. But in the open he was ripping Pickett and then set up his show be asking “should Kenny be the starter?”

How blatant and how stupid. He is the first guy to say, and he said it a million times that mediocrity is a bad place to be and Tomlin’s winning record is the worst stat in sports.

So with the above in mind, why would he ask if Kenny should be the starter? What would be one reason at this point why he shouldn’t start??? One reason?

Reactions: USN_Panther
This is it in a nutshell. He knows which way the wind is blowing so he will take the unpopular opinion to fuel his show.

I used to listen but his JuJu bashing became a bit too much. I’m not even a Juju fan and I somewhat agreed with him on Juju…but the acted became tiresome and I don’t really listen much anymore. I used to listen daily.

But Monday I had his opening segment on and then turned him off so I don’t know how the show went. But in the open he was ripping Pickett and then set up his show be asking “should Kenny be the starter?”

How blatant and how stupid. He is the first guy to say, and he said it a million times that mediocrity is a bad place to be and Tomlin’s winning record is the worst stat in sports.

So with the above in mind, why would he ask if Kenny should be the starter? What would be one reason at this point why he shouldn’t start??? One reason?
Pittsburghers loved Ju Ju early, he was/is a very likable guy, became a fan favorite so then Madden goes off on him. our boy Hines ward, a legend here, same thing. We all loved the Bus, so what does madden do? Goes after him for years, bashing him all to hell. Did the same thing with Ward (although some of it might have been deserved)..

Would he have gone after Ward and Bettis so hard if they werent universally loved by steeler nation? of course not.. but it angered us yinzers so we all called in and yelled at him, blah blah.

If Pickett were from california or florida, and he didnt have the "home town" hero cult like following, Madden wouldnt say a word about him. But we all got carried away, myself included so he took the opposing view to rile us up..

I recall a listener calling Madden and making fun of him after he had the heart attack. Madden brings that on himself for being a dick.

Someone should call up and tell him Dek Hockey isn't real hockey, it's for wannabes who are too unathletic to skate.

Madden will say anything if he thinks it will attract eye balls.

Just block MM on Twitter and don’t read his nonsense… I learned that a long time ago
I unfollowed him on Twitter several months ago and so glad I did. Out of site out of mind.

Reactions: daminals76
He loved Big Blubberass Ben. Who had mediocre or worse stats in his rookie season but won thanks to, gasp, good defense and running game. Which is exactly how KP won last Sunday.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
He loved Big Blubberass Ben. Who had mediocre or worse stats in his rookie season but won thanks to, gasp, good defense and running game. Which is exactly how KP won last Sunday.
Ben had a super bowl caliber team with HOF players and coaches. Kenny was thrown to the wolves.

Reactions: 303vND and Pitt79
Kenny will never be as good as Ben. I'm hoping Kenny can be an OK starter as goos as maybe Dalton or Flacco, it's early yet but so far he doesn't look ready, hope he improves, Ben threw 17 TDs as a rookie, at the current rate I doubt Kenny throws 10.

Ben had a super bowl caliber team with HOF players and coaches. Kenny was thrown to the wolves.
I agree with this as well, but I hope he actually has more success in the next half of the season, it's been disappointing to watch, not sure how much is him? Or how much is the scheme? Play calling? Supporting cast?

I agree with this as well, but I hope he actually has more success in the next half of the season, it's been disappointing to watch, not sure how much is him? Or how much is the scheme? Play calling? Supporting cast?
The Steelers entire offense stinks but we expect a rookie in his 5 start to be Bret Favre. The OC, OL, WRs, and backs are not good - you mix that all together and you get the 32nd ranked offense. Kenny will be fine when they get him the appropriate coaching and players.

The Steelers entire offense stinks but we expect a rookie in his 5 start to be Bret Favre. The OC, OL, WRs, and backs are not good - you mix that all together and you get the 32nd ranked offense. Kenny will be fine when they get him the appropriate coaching and players.
No, don't expect Bret Favre, but I'd settle for better than 2-8 TD/INT Ratio. And maybe more drives NOT stalling in the red zone.

Tale of two Quarterbacks:

One QB completed 17 passes on 29 attempts for 211 yards for no touchdowns and one interception. He ran 5 times for 10 yards and 0 touchdowns achieving 5 fantasy points This quarterback is a fan favorite and is being hailed as a hero by his fans and local media.

The other QB completed 18 passes on 30 attempts for 199 yards (discounted due to 6 sacks) and 0 interceptions and 0 touchdown. He ran 8 times for 51 yards and 1 touchdown for 18 fantasy points. He is also a fan favorite but is being savaged by his local media.

Both QB’s led their teams to unexpected victory.

The first QB is veteran Washington QB Taylor Heinicke, the second is obviously Steeler rookie Kenny Picket.

So why the difference in media coverage? The answer in this case leads to one unscrupulous “journalist”, Mark Madden, who constantly voices his outrageous bias against all things Pitt and Kenny Pickett in order to gain readers through inflaming content. I am still not over the “ Kenny Pickett is a cheater” article. Now, Madden continues his jealousy tour with how afraid Picket appears and that Pickett’s ineptitude demands a change. I would pay very good money to see Madden get sacked by NFL players 6 times and see if he hangs in to lead his team to victory Like Kenny Pickett did.

Fear is always present in the NFL, it is a very violent game, unlike the game of self serving belittlement that Madden plays.
One of those QBs was facing the best pass defense in the league and did enough to beat an undefeated team, the other was facing the Saints with 2 INTs all season.

One is slightly over-performing expectations while in a QB battle with a high profile trade acquisition.
The other is a first round draft pick having a below average rookie season.

I don't think anyone is talking about either being an All-Pro, but when you upset the #1 team people are going to talk for a week...

I am in Arizona so I don’t listen to Pittsburgh media. If it is just Mark Madden complaint then it does not matter. If other media are complaining Then it is a different story. There are media in Pittsburgh that absolutely take the opposite side of Madden by intent.

This was all sadly predictable. They talk about unreasonable expectations of Pitt this year…ANY expectations for the Steelers offense was unreasonable. It’s why I was only half hearted about Pickett being taken here. He was going to skewered on the field and in the media. It’s ridiculous they aren’t letting Mitch bare the brunt of this season, he has no future here. Supposedly you take a #1 QB with the idea of a long haul; there’s no reason to have sacrificed Pickett this season. I know many here worship Tomlin as a god, but this was a terrible coaching decision.

Supposedly you take a #1 QB with the idea of a long haul; there’s no reason to have sacrificed Pickett this season. I know many here worship Tomlin as a god, but this was a terrible coaching decision.
That's not how the NFL has worked for at least the past decade. Teams want to get their QBs experience as soon as possible to get them up to the speed of the game.

Recent 1st Round QBs that started 6+ games as Rookies
Justin Herbert
Tua Tagovailoa
Joe Burrow
Daniel Jones
Kyler Murray
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
Sam Darnold
Deshaun Watson
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Jared Goff
Andrew Luck
...many more

That's not how the NFL has worked for at least the past decade. Teams want to get their QBs experience as soon as possible to get them up to the speed of the game.

Recent 1st Round QBs that started 6+ games as Rookies
Justin Herbert
Tua Tagovailoa
Joe Burrow
Daniel Jones
Kyler Murray
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
Sam Darnold
Deshaun Watson
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Jared Goff
Andrew Luck
...many more
But many of those franchises suck! 🤣

No, don't expect Bret Favre, but I'd settle for better than 2-8 TD/INT Ratio. And maybe more drives NOT stalling in the red zone.
Again - his 5th start! And the Steelers offense has been stalling in the red zone for the better part of a decade now.

You need to play rookie QB’s right away as the quickest path to success in today’s NFL is to win while the QB’s are still on their rookie contract. As soon as it expires you have to give them huge money that takes up such a high percentage of your cap space that other positions of need are by necessity neglected.

Kenny will never be as good as Ben. I'm hoping Kenny can be an OK starter as goos as maybe Dalton or Flacco, it's early yet but so far he doesn't look ready, hope he improves, Ben threw 17 TDs as a rookie, at the current rate I doubt Kenny throws 10.
Bens rookie year, he was asked to throw it (Not completions but pass attempts) 20 times a game.. that's no exaggeration either. he was never needed to win a game, just not to lose it. we had a sick running game and an even better OL.

i love ben but he stepped into a Dream scenario for a rookie qb.. we won over 10 games that year kneeling on the ball.

Ben had 15 or less completions in 9 of his 14 regular season starts. 15 or less completions for a winning qb. that doesnt even make sense to me.. He had under 200 yards passing in 10 of his 14 regular season starts, that doesnt make sense either..

Reactions: 303vND
But many of those franchises suck! 🤣
How many Pro Bowls on that list? How many All-Pros? The only reason not to play your future franchise rookie QB is if you have a top 5 QB already on the roster.

2021 Pro Bowl QBs-
Brady - 20+ years ago
Mahommes - had Alex Smith putting up career numbers and NFL-leading QB Rating.
Rodgers - had a Hall of Fame QB still on the roster that was still performing at a high level.
Allen - Started rookie year
Murray - Started rookie year
Prescott - Started rookie year
Cousins - 4th round pick, benched behind 1st round pick and All-Pro rookie season from RG3
Mac Jones - Rookie Season, obviously starting
Lamar Jackson - Started rookie year
Justin Herbert - Started rookie year
Rossell Wilson - Started rookie year

So you have
1x Tom Brady drafted 20+ years ago
3x Guys that didn't start because their QB was Brett Favre or having a Pro Bowl season (Rodgers, Cousins, Mahomes)
6x QBs that started their rookie year
1x Actual rookie QB

2019 Pro Bowl Summary
1x Drew Brees drafted 20+ year ago
3x Guys that didn't start because their QB was was Brett Favre or having a Pro Bowl season (Rodgers, Cousins, Mahomes)
4x QBs that started 6+ games their rookie season

2018 Pro Bowl Summary
2x Players drafted 20+ years ago (Brady, Brees)
3x Guys that didn't start because their QB was was Brett Favre or having a Pro Bowl season (Mahommes, Rodgers, Rivers)
5x QBs that started 6+ games their rookie season

Bens rookie year, he was asked to throw it (Not completions but pass attempts) 20 times a game.. that's no exaggeration either. he was never needed to win a game, just not to lose it. we had a sick running game and an even better OL.

i love ben but he stepped into a Dream scenario for a rookie qb.. we won over 10 games that year kneeling on the ball.

Ben had 15 or less completions in 9 of his 14 regular season starts. 15 or less completions for a winning qb. that doesnt even make sense to me.. He had under 200 yards passing in 10 of his 14 regular season starts, that doesnt make sense either..
But Ben was a big heavy dude who did lots of women, sometimes with their consent even, and rode his motorcycle like a lunatic. So needless to say some element of the Pgh broadcast and print community loved him.

This was all sadly predictable. They talk about unreasonable expectations of Pitt this year…ANY expectations for the Steelers offense was unreasonable. It’s why I was only half hearted about Pickett being taken here. He was going to skewered on the field and in the media. It’s ridiculous they aren’t letting Mitch bare the brunt of this season, he has no future here. Supposedly you take a #1 QB with the idea of a long haul; there’s no reason to have sacrificed Pickett this season. I know many here worship Tomlin as a god, but this was a terrible coaching decision.
You don't draft a 23 year old to sit behind Mitch Trubisky. That's just wasting a season for no purpose. Tomlin f'd up by not having Kenny start from day one, but he quickly realized his error and changed course.

But Ben was a big heavy dude who did lots of women, sometimes with their consent even, and rode his motorcycle like a lunatic. So needless to say some element of the Pgh broadcast and print community loved him.
What the phuck are you babbling about?

If Pickett was a bitter and playing like this we’d run him out of town. As matter of fact if he went to any other college we’d be running him out of town. I think he will be good in the future but he stinks right now

Reactions: Pitt79
If Pickett was a bitter and playing like this we’d run him out of town. As matter of fact if he went to any other college we’d be running him out of town. I think he will be good in the future but he stinks right now
Any fool who would want to run a rookie QB out of town, “Bitter” or otherwise, after five starts … and the absolute worst OL in the NFL…Is certifiably retarded and should not be allowed to breed.

Somebody likes Ben.
He’s a pig. Deal with it.
Rapists should die
I like Ben cause he was a great steeler. I am a steeler fan. You are entitled to your opinion. Could care less defending his off field issues. Call him what you want.

I don’t follow athletes off the field or care about them in non game days. I did when I was 7 or 8 but then hit puberty. Adults that follow or care about these athletes off the field are freakin creepy. That means you.

I’m more offended by your boring irrelevant rants. If you are going to try and bait me, be more interesting. Be original.

I like Ben. You are entitled to your opinion. Could care less defending his off field issues. Call him what you want.

I’m more offended by your boring irrelevant rants. If you are going to try and bait me, be more interesting. Be original.
I’m one of the greatest posters here, though that’s a low bar.

Sterling, hard hitting, brutally honest, usually hilarious. Based on irrefutable, platinum clad facts.

You should bend to me like you do to Ben

I like Ben cause he was a great steeler. I am a steeler fan. You are entitled to your opinion. Could care less defending his off field issues. Call him what you want.

I don’t follow athletes off the field or care about them in non game days. I did when I was 7 or 8 but then hit puberty. Adults that follow or care about these athletes off the field are freakin creepy. That means you.

Edit it some more. Perhaps it will become less stupid.

Perhaps.

Just kidding around…Ben was a great player. A pig, for sure, but great.

I’m one of the greatest posters here, though that’s a low bar.

Sterling, hard hitting, brutally honest, usually hilarious. Based on irrefutable, platinum clad facts.

You should bend to me like you do to Ben
Ben is retired, no longer relevant to me. Move on man

I’m gonna give you some advice to be a good poster on here:

get a personality. Pick a relevant topic and go hard on it. No one cares about Ben at a bar 15 years ago msn. Seriously. It was a topic last decade.

Just because I called out Ben? Wow.

Talk about worshiping celebrities.

It was like when Souf went berserk when we dismissed Taylor Swift here.
You aren’t listening at all. Good luck to you man.

Keep up with those anti Ben and Taylor swift posts. We will all be on the end if our seats waiting for those posts. Maybe throw a Y2K post in there too while you are boring us with irrelevance.

You aren’t listening at all. Good luck to you man.

Keep up with those anti Ben and Taylor swift posts. We will all be on the end if our seats waiting for those posts. Maybe throw a Y2K post in there too while you are boring us with irrelevance.
Tsk. What got you so testy? You’re usually one of the more tolerable posters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT