ADVERTISEMENT

The talent Jeff Capel doesn't get enough credit for in recruiting

jlazinger

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2011
I, like everyone else, expected Capel to come in and immediately compete for one and dones. While it appears that we technically got our first one in Bub this past season, I will say that he shown an incredible ability to identify guys that are gems who outplay their ranking. Look at this list (I'm not going to dive into the transfers but it's clear this also plays given what he got out of Hinson and others):
  • Au'Diese Toney - 3 star, unranked - granted there were chemistry issues, but he did get a 5 day window with the nuggets and is in the g league now. Also started for an Arkansas team that made the tournament.
  • Xavier Johnson - 3 star - unranked nationally, 42nd at his position - say what you what about how this ended up, but he looked like a future star as a freshman before clear attitude issues plagued the rest of his career. It's easy to forget he averaged 15.5 ppg, 4.5 apg; and 3.9 rpg.
  • Justin Champagnie - 3 star - unranked nationally, 44th at his position - playing in the NBA. Enough said.
  • Nate Santos - 3 star, unranked - this one is a bit harder to know given he played in the A10, but I'd argue he easily could have been a rotation player for us this past year after putting up almost 12 ppg with 6 rpg and 42% from deep.
  • Bub Carrington - 4 star, 94th nationally, 19th at his position - I realize this is cheating a bit given he was a 4 start. But when you get a borderline top 100 guy that leaves after one year to presumably be a first round pick, it's a home run. Compare this to guys like Dajuan Wagner who was a 5 star (6th overall) and is looking to transfer.
  • Brandin Cummings - yes his brother played here and is local but he's since been bumped to a 4 star and has risen to 122nd nationally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News