Kedon Slovis
Jackson Brown
Malcolm Epps
Derrick Davis
Donovan McMillon
Daejon Reynolds
Christian Veilleux
Phil Jurkovec

Conclusion: While some of those guys were/are solid, please stop saying we can build a team this way. Thank you.

And here are the players we've landed through it:

Kylan Johnson
Nakia Griffin-Stewart
Nolan Ulizio
Keldrick Wilson
Joey Yellen
Lucas Krull
John Petrishen
Ryan Jacoby
Melquise Stovall
MJ Devonshire
Marcus Minor
DJ Turner
C'Bo Flemister
Bub Means
Konata Mumpfield
Dylan Deveney
Shayne Simon
Kedon Slovis
Jackson Brown
Malcolm Epps
Derrick Davis
Donovan McMillon
Daejon Reynolds
Christian Veilleux
Phil Jurkovec

Conclusion: While some of those guys were/are solid, please stop saying we can build a team this way. Thank you.

Now list the players from the 21 and 22 classes. We cant build a team with those jabronis either. We struck out in those classes so if they all transfer, so what, we can go 3-9 next year with portal guys. The 21 class, the year we won the ACC may be our worst ever. Time to get rid of the dead weight

Now list the players from the 21 and 22 classes. We cant build a team with those jabronis either. We struck out in those classes so if they all transfer, so what, we can go 3-9 next year with portal guys. The 21 class, the year we won the ACC may be our worst ever. Time to get rid of the dead weight

If any class in the history of recruiting should have an asterisk by it, shouldn't it be 2021? Some of those guys didn't even visit. Some of those guys didn't have senior seasons (or opted to sit them out). We had one dude committed in the class until we found out he was about 5'6" or something.

Even in spite of that, you still got Bartholomew, Hammond, Moore, McIntyre, O'Brien, Enos, etc. from that class. Not a good one, but not historically bad.

As for 2022, what's the problem with it, other than it being small? Scott, Baer, Gandy, Okunlola, Fitzsimmons, and Louis all look like two-deep guys as early as next season. Montgomery might be as well. That class might be one of our highest percentage hit rates ever.

For Pitt the transfer portal is used to fill in a gap. Petrishen and Krull were perfect examples. They were reliable starters. If they had ever been the best player on their side of the ball we'd have won 3 games.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I disagree immensely on that one. 0 draft picks out of 25 guys. Maybe Devonshire makes it 1/25, but still.

Half of them were solid/good players, but that's what we have now - lots of solid complementary pieces but few difference makers.
I agree! Just busting your chops cause you said stop saying it. The portal is a good way to fine tune your team but not to build one.

Can't argue with that list at all. Here is a different list. 4 Star Players from Rivals and various sites that for the most part have not lived up to their rakings:

2016:
Damar Hamlin DB WPIAL
Ruben Flowers WR Transferred
Kaezon Pugh LB WPIAL
George Hill ATH Medical
Amir Watts DT
Keyshon Camp DT

2017:
Anthony Davis RB Transferred
Paris Ford DB WPIAL
Charles Reeves TE Transferred
Todd Sibley RB Transferred

2018:
Mychale Salahuddin RB Transferred

2019:
Davis Beville QB Transferred
Brandon Hill DB
A.J. Woods DB
Matt Goncalves OL
Brandon George LB

2020:
Jahvante Royal DB
Dayon Hayes DE WPIAL
Rashad Battle DB
Jordan Addison WR STAR
Phillip O'Brien DB

2021:
Elliot Donald DT WPIAL
Nahki Johnson DE WPIAL
Naquan Brown LB Transferred
Rodney Hammond RB

2022:
Ryan Baer OL
Samuel Okunlola DE
Ryland Gandy DB
Jimmy Scott DE
Che Nwabuko ATH

2023:
Isaiah Neal DE
Jordan Bass LB

This is the reason I won't scoff at Pitt landing recruits that are 3 star players. A lot of them have been better players. I don't know the answer, but Pitt needs to do a better job.

Last edited:

Kylan Johnson
Nakia Griffin-Stewart
Nolan Ulizio
Keldrick Wilson
Joey Yellen
Lucas Krull
John Petrishen
Ryan Jacoby
Melquise Stovall
MJ Devonshire
Marcus Minor
DJ Turner
C'Bo Flemister
Bub Means
Konata Mumpfield
Dylan Deveney
Shayne Simon
Kedon Slovis
Jackson Brown
Malcolm Epps
Derrick Davis
Donovan McMillon
Daejon Reynolds
Christian Veilleux
Phil Jurkovec

Ummmm...

Looks like we could build a team that way. Obviously you need both recruiting, transfers, and the NIL deal transfers. Every team is doing this, so not sure why you think we cant. Are you going to hit on everyone? Of course not, but most all of these guys listed at least started some or most of the games, and a few were/are stars of the team. Certainly could argue the guys we brought in this way have outperformed the recruiting class.

Ummmm...

Looks like we could build a team that way. Obviously you need both recruiting, transfers, and the NIL deal transfers. Every team is doing this, so not sure why you think we cant. Are you going to hit on everyone? Of course not, but most all of these guys listed at least started some or most of the games, and a few were/are stars of the team. Certainly could argue the guys we brought in this way have outperformed the recruiting class.

I'm talking about the posts that have suggested we start building almost exclusively through the portal. Yes, it's fine to use it to supplement the roster and fill gaps.

I'm talking about the posts that have suggested we start building almost exclusively through the portal. Yes, it's fine to use it to supplement the roster and fill gaps.

I agree totally.

I do think the only way you get a really really game changing transfer is to throw money at them. Get a guy like Cameron Ward from Washington St, with the uncertainty in the PAC-10, might work. But, we need to fix the QB position, CV looks ok to good, and we need to see more of the other guys, but we dont have Izzy anymore, and the run game isnt the same, and without a QB we are just sitting ducks punting every 3 plays and waiting for the defense to get tired and blowing the second half.

Pitt will never make a living out of the portal. The portal should be used to fill in spot starters and depth.

The portal should also be used to push out your dead weight so you can keep bringing in classes with 20+ recruits. The only way Pitt is going to build talent is to hire better recruiters and by taking full classes every year.

You’ve been so off base on your continual drum roll on this, insisting you can solve everything with the transfer portal. Maybe in BB but definitely not FB.

For schools like Pitt, you better be building your foundation through recruiting and developing because the most you can hope for from the portal is to compliment and fill in gaps on your roster.

If any class in the history of recruiting should have an asterisk by it, shouldn't it be 2021? Some of those guys didn't even visit. Some of those guys didn't have senior seasons (or opted to sit them out). We had one dude committed in the class until we found out he was about 5'6" or something.

Even in spite of that, you still got Bartholomew, Hammond, Moore, McIntyre, O'Brien, Enos, etc. from that class. Not a good one, but not historically bad.

As for 2022, what's the problem with it, other than it being small? Scott, Baer, Gandy, Okunlola, Fitzsimmons, and Louis all look like two-deep guys as early as next season. Montgomery might be as well. That class might be one of our highest percentage hit rates ever.

1 NFL player from 2021 and its not a guarantee Bartholemew plays in the NFL.

On 2022, we've discussed that that class needed to be large and they should have cut players to make room, not necessarily the 6th year guys but you need to bring in 25 and cut the worst players. But you praise those players but they are either not seeing the field or contributing very little to a historically bad Pitt team. That is a problem. I dont see any flashes from these players. Kenny Johnson, yes, you can see potential.

Last edited:
Has there been more than one poster claiming we could and should be building almost exclusively from the portal?

He thinks I say that when I am really saying is I dont care if everyone transfers because they all suck. We arent going to go 2-10 because of poor coaching. The players lack of football ability is the primary reason. So they can all leave and we can go 3-9 next year with portal players. They are replaceable. This is a LOOONG rebuild. We dont have high to even medium ACC-level talent.

Kylan Johnson
Nakia Griffin-Stewart
Nolan Ulizio
Keldrick Wilson
Joey Yellen
Lucas Krull
John Petrishen
Ryan Jacoby
Melquise Stovall
MJ Devonshire
Marcus Minor
DJ Turner
C'Bo Flemister
Bub Means
Konata Mumpfield
Dylan Deveney
Shayne Simon
Kedon Slovis
Jackson Brown
Malcolm Epps
Derrick Davis
Donovan McMillon
Daejon Reynolds
Christian Veilleux
Phil Jurkovec

who have we lost that was any good, besides Addison? anybody relevant?

who have we lost that was any good, besides Addison? anybody relevant?

Cam Bright, John Morgan. That's about it, I think.

That will change this year, unfortunately. I don't even care about losing Bartholomew and Hammond, but I don't want to lose guys like Johnson, Bass, Okunlola, and the current recruiting class.

Reactions: pittmeister

Kylan Johnson
Nakia Griffin-Stewart
Nolan Ulizio
Keldrick Wilson
Joey Yellen
Lucas Krull
John Petrishen
Ryan Jacoby
Melquise Stovall
MJ Devonshire
Marcus Minor
DJ Turner
C'Bo Flemister
Bub Means
Konata Mumpfield
Dylan Deveney
Shayne Simon
Kedon Slovis
Jackson Brown
Malcolm Epps
Derrick Davis
Donovan McMillon
Daejon Reynolds
Christian Veilleux
Phil Jurkovec

If by "we" you mean Narduzzi you are correct. He recruits worse than he coaches which is hard to believe but a fact

Kylan Johnson
Nakia Griffin-Stewart
Nolan Ulizio
Keldrick Wilson
Joey Yellen
Lucas Krull
John Petrishen
Ryan Jacoby
Melquise Stovall
MJ Devonshire
Marcus Minor
DJ Turner
C'Bo Flemister
Bub Means
Konata Mumpfield
Dylan Deveney
Shayne Simon
Kedon Slovis
Jackson Brown
Malcolm Epps
Derrick Davis
Donovan McMillon
Daejon Reynolds
Christian Veilleux
Phil Jurkovec

We cannot solely build a team that way, but we’ve had some good transfers that made us a better team. At the end of the day, we are not going to get the best incoming freshman or transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT