ADVERTISEMENT

There is a silver lining in the Steeler loss

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
KDKA can go back to being a news department instead of the defacto Steeler cheerleaders. Yes America, don't let them fool you, the Steelers definitely have cheerleaders.

Madden the only one to take on Nutting, Penn State & the Steelers. Basically the holy trinity of Pittsburgh media.

Speaking of media and slightly OT. Imagine if Donald Trump was the football coach at Pitt and openly attacked the media the way he has these first few days. They would make it their life's mission to run him out of town. Will be interesting to see if the sharks from the NYTIMES and some of those national publications react to some of the comments being made by Trump

Reactions: Nittany1997
KDKA can go back to being a news department instead of the defacto Steeler cheerleaders. Yes America, don't let them fool you, the Steelers definitely have cheerleaders.

Why wouldn't the most successful pro football team of the Super Bowl era, 17 AFC Championship Games, 8 Super Bowls, 6 Lombardi trophies 25 division titles, not have cheerleaders, the Steelers DESERVE to dominate the Pittsburgh Sports pages year round, because they aren't lovable losers like the Cubs or America's Team, they are an iconic, championship. perennial, like the Yankees, Lakers, etc.

Why wouldn't the most successful pro football team of the Super Bowl era, 17 AFC Championship Games, 8 Super Bowls, 6 Lombardi trophies 25 division titles, not have cheerleaders, the Steelers DESERVE to dominate the Pittsburgh Sports pages year round, because they aren't lovable losers like the Cubs or America's Team, they are an iconic, championship. perennial, like the Yankees, Lakers, etc.

Their job is to report the news, not rah-rah for the local football corporations.

Reactions: WolverineCoach
Throw the whole media in Pittsburgh their all afraid of the rooney backlash. The PG first criticism of the steelers will be it's first.

The Steelers should be covered a lot. They should NOT be covered uncritically. The majority of the "journalists" who cover the team are fanboy suck-ups who wouldn't dare question anything the Stillers do.

Owtie the Ruineys own the media. Guys like Cook live in fear of losing the acceptance of Big Benand the Ruineys. Its almost apthetic. I listen to internet radio in the evening to Steve szaben out of DC. Used to do a syndicated morning show on 970 . really entertaining.

Reactions: Saboteur
I am not saying the Steelers shouldn't receive coverage and alot of coverage. Of course they earned their place and spot in the local conscience. But my god, it was a bit over the top. I mean, it was not like our first AFC Championship game.

Both Pittsburgh dailies and 2, 4 and 11 know they cannot afford to antagonize the bear. Not with dwindling readership / viewership. Pitt is an much easier target relative to the pro teams.

Reactions: Saboteur
On a negative note, sports radio will be painful now. 24/7 talk about penguins. Hey, I love the pens but you can only talk about so much. 2 segments on Matt Cullen's injury and how it will effect the backup power play will cause a man to go mad.

Reactions: Jakey_John
I agree that they "cheerlead" with the best of 'em, and I really don't mind it.

But having said that, I don't think that it justifies their treating Pitt like a red-headed stepchild - as they often do via The Fan.

Reactions: Piranha
The Steelers should be covered a lot. They should NOT be covered uncritically. The majority of the "journalists" who cover the team are fanboy suck-ups who wouldn't dare question anything the Stillers do.
Because they all realize that if they start leveling hard criticism on Tomlin or the other coaches or the gameplans's, etc... they will be ostracized from the team. Probably won't be allowed nearly as much access and shunned. So of course hence, all the ass kissing.

Pretty similar with the Pirates beat writers in the PG. They would dare not criticize Nutting's cheapness or Hurdle or Huntington or they would be shunned and banned from the locker room and not get the access they want. It's all a game and our media most of them are a bunch of wimps.

But some of the columns in the PG throughout the season are just sooooo lovey dovey for no reason than to kiss ass. I remember when Mike Mitchell was playing horrible every week and then I think 1 game he played better. Of course a column came right out from either Cook or Bouchette about how lucky the team is to have Mitchell and how great he is. I mean, reading that stuff is a complete joke.

Their job is to report the news, not rah-rah for the local football corporations.
No, their job is to make money. That is why they, at least the tv stations, exist - to generate viewers so that they can sell more ads. They are in the entertainment business, not the news business.

Reactions: canadakatz
People nowadays have a hard time distinguishing journalism from entertainment.

No, their job is to make money. That is why they, at least the tv stations, exist - to generate viewers so that they can sell more ads. They are in the entertainment business, not the news business.

The steelers are not as good as Pittsburgh people think they are, if you listen to the fan, it was all about what Pittsburgh did wrong, not what New England did to them

The inferiority to the Patriots is aggravating, but it's actually likely a healthy thing. Imagine how delirious the city and media would be if they had not gotten stomped by the Patriots in the three times now they've played in the AFC championship? Imagine what THREE additional Super Bowls would do?

(Plus there was the year they let that awful, awful Charger team beat them, and at least once the Raiders beat them in the 70s...and of course the two Super Bowl losses they have ... but the Pats losses are the most humiliating).

The Patriots dominance at least keep things a little humble in this town.

so instead of talking about the steelers they will talk about all the local murders, robberies, and car accidents

so instead of talking about the steelers they will talk about all the local murders, robberies, and car accidents
Those things for sure, but there will still be Steelers stories. There are at least a couple a day fit into a given local news cast. They a 24x7x365 subject here. Fairly soon we'll hear about the combine and who the Steelers will be looking at. Then draft talk. Then draft coverage. Then mini camp coverage. Interspersed, contract talks. Then of course camp coverage .... preseason...and it continues. And when there are days without absolutely any true Steelers news, they invent fluff pieces involving the Steelers, or even ex-Steelers ... a clip from the Rocky Bleier play .... Breatt Keisel cutting off his beard for charity ... Hinds Ward restaurant opening ... Steeler fashion show ... there's no end.

Madden the only one to take on Nutting, Penn State & the Steelers. Basically the holy trinity of Pittsburgh media.

Speaking of media and slightly OT. Imagine if Donald Trump was the football coach at Pitt and openly attacked the media the way he has these first few days. They would make it their life's mission to run him out of town. Will be interesting to see if the sharks from the NYTIMES and some of those national publications react to some of the comments being made by Trump
I'm a huge steelers fan and I prefer to listen to madden. He will actually tell it how it is. Nobody else would dare say how loose of a ship Tomlin runs, but it's the truth. Nobody else will say what awful tackling technique mike Mitchell has, but it's true.

It was annoying back in the day how much he hated guys like Hines ward. But anymore, i find that he's usually spot on with his analysis of the team. Just nobody else wants to admit it.

The inferiority to the Patriots is aggravating, but it's actually likely a healthy thing. Imagine how delirious the city and media would be if they had not gotten stomped by the Patriots in the three times now they've played in the AFC championship? Imagine what THREE additional Super Bowls would do?

(Plus there was the year they let that awful, awful Charger team beat them, and at least once the Raiders beat them in the 70s...and of course the two Super Bowl losses they have ... but the Pats losses are the most humiliating).

The Patriots dominance at least keep things a little humble in this town.
I remember all of the AFC title losses. but I'm starting to lose count. The Charger game was the worst feeling. That year's Steelers were all Defense and Just Enough Offense, which did not give them much margin for error when Alfred Pupunu slipped past the secondary... Raider game in '76 hurt, too. Killed any thought of a 3-peat, and it was frustrating because Pittsburgh played with just one running back and it was the effing Raiders... and I rank Sunday night's debacle third.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT