ADVERTISEMENT

This is a really cool map

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
At least I thought so. It shows the cities in North America in relative to latitude to the cities of Europe and Western Asia. Pittsburgh for example, is on the same latitude as Madrid Spain. Obviously ocean currents and such affect the weather and climate as much, if not more, as how far you are from the equator.

424666928_1111563880296231_1569688295431395856_n.jpg

At least I thought so. It shows the cities in North America in relative to latitude to the cities of Europe and Western Asia. Pittsburgh for example, is on the same latitude as Madrid Spain. Obviously ocean currents and such affect the weather and climate as much, if not more, as how far you are from the equator.

424666928_1111563880296231_1569688295431395856_n.jpg

I never realized how far north Europe was until I started flying there. From Pittsburgh, you fly due north up to Newfoundland then straight across the Atlantic.

Barcelona is in fuc**ng Nebraska!

I’m not sure how accurate the rest of it is, but it has Haifa south of Tel Aviv. Haifa is well north of Tel Aviv.

I never realized how far north Europe was until I started flying there. From Pittsburgh, you fly due north up to Newfoundland then straight across the Atlantic.
It’s not that it is that far north. The circumference of the globe gets smaller as you go away from the Equator and toward the Poles. So by flying a more northerly route, you fly less miles.

The last two nonstop flights I took from LA to Europe were to Zurich and Amsterdam. Both took very similar flight paths: Northeasterly so that we reached the Canadian border at western Montana, then through Canada and just south of Greenland, past Iceland and into Europe.

It’s not that it is that far north. The circumference of the globe gets smaller as you go away from the Equator and toward the Poles. So by flying a more northerly route, you fly less miles.

The last two nonstop flights I took from LA to Europe were to Zurich and Amsterdam. Both took very similar flight paths: Northeasterly so that we reached the Canadian border at western Montana, then through Canada and just south of Greenland, past Iceland and into Europe.

I remember being surprised you are only over the ocean for roughly 4 hours between Newfoundland and Ireland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT