ADVERTISEMENT

This will be Narduzzi's last year at Pitt.

But a pro league isn't happening so it doesn't matter. You're arguing away in another thread about conference valuations and then sitting here saying a pro league is evolving from this? Come on.

I am saying that the current P2 + whatever leftover leagues are still standing will become fully professional.

Something I'm curious about..... if the players are eventually declared to be employees of the University, do they still have to go to class? Obviously, the University has thousands of employees who do not have to go to class as a requirement for their job. And if the players no longer have to go to class are they really even students? The NCAA morphs into a semi-pro league owned by the University. Which then raises the question of why the University is running a semi-pro football league at all? How is that even part of an educational mission?

semi-pro??? No. Fully-pro.

Once they become employees, I believe the NCAA or whoever is thr governing body at that time will only require that they be registered students. That may mean just taking 1 gym class or flunking every class, doesnt matter. And then someone will eventually sue that they shouldn't even have to do that and they will win.

There already is a model for what may happen in Liga MX (Mexican Soccer). The National Autonomous University of Mexico and the Autonomous University of Nuevo Leon have very popular, historic, pro soccer teams, referred to as Pumas and Tigres. The players arent students but the teams "represent" the schools.

Something I'm curious about..... if the players are eventually declared to be employees of the University, do they still have to go to class? Obviously, the University has thousands of employees who do not have to go to class as a requirement for their job. And if the players no longer have to go to class are they really even students? The NCAA morphs into a semi-pro league owned by the University. Which then raises the question of why the University is running a semi-pro football league at all? How is that even part of an educational mission?

I can foresee class attendance & eligibility with respect to the Freshman-Senior spectrum being radically changed.

There won’t actually be a cap until the players are recognized as employees and a collective bargaining agreement is reached that regulates all areas of compensation.

And that isn’t happening in 2025 or 2026.
You realize THIS is what the conferences are fighting, right? Every "settlement" they have tested has the "no employee" clause and they THINK by instituting a "salary cap", which in its current proposed form only benefits like 6 schools, will get the plaintiffs to cave on the "employee" mandate.

And you know why they oppose "employees"... its code for "union". And we all know what "union" means. Collective bargaining. And we all know what that leads to - probable parity - something they will go down with the ship fighting.

And you know why they oppose "employees"... its code for "union". And we all know what "union" means. Collective bargaining. And we all know what that leads to - probable parity - something they will go down with the ship fighting.

They've spent decades fighting tooth and nail to keep every single penny they can get their hands on. And they show no signs of stopping now.

Except when the courts force them to.

You realize THIS is what the conferences are fighting, right? Every "settlement" they have tested has the "no employee" clause and they THINK by instituting a "salary cap", which in its current proposed form only benefits like 6 schools, will get the plaintiffs to cave on the "employee" mandate.

Which is why Pitt and every school like it should be fighting to make them employees. A CBA and salary cap is good for Pitt

I hope Pitt drops to DII before they do what you envision.

You are the only one. You are a fan of college students playing football part-time for free. That isnt what D1 football is. Its pro athletes playing football full time making big money, and then occasionally go to class and have professors hand them passing grades. You long for 1940s college football. I suggest you become a fan of W&J. They have real student athletes.

Reactions: Las Panteras
Which is why Pitt and every school like it should be fighting to make them employees. A CBA and salary cap is good for Pitt
Which is why the idea seems more plausible once they get to the 32 team super league or whatever it ends up being. The Alabama's and Ohio State's can stomach having a hypothetical even playing field with each other. Not so much the case with San Diego State, Boston College, or probably even Pitt.

It would be bad for Pitt, and every other D1 school, if football players were employees. They've fought for a century agaisnt it because of how much more expensive it would be. Paying guys in scholarships and meal plans is a hell of a lot easier than negotiating with a players union. If Pitt and the 40 or so other P4 schools that aren't blue bloods wanted this system, it would have been in place years ago!

Reactions: CJsE
It would be bad for Pitt, and every other D1 school, if football players were employees. They've fought for a century agaisnt it because of how much more expensive it would be. Paying guys in scholarships and meal plans is a hell of a lot easier than negotiating with a players union. If Pitt and the 40 or so other P4 schools that aren't blue bloods wanted this system, it would have been in place years ago!

They dont want it. But eventually a lawsuit will make it happen.

You are the only one. You are a fan of college students playing football part-time for free. That isnt what D1 football is. Its pro athletes playing football full time making big money, and then occasionally go to class and have professors hand them passing grades. You long for 1940s college football. I suggest you become a fan of W&J. They have real student athletes.
I don’t watch any pro sports. If your scenario plays out where Pitt has pro players and no student requirement, I’m out.

But I don’t believe it will come to that. It’s another of your fantasies.

maybe not pay coaches 6-7 million per year?

Exactly. The only reason that COLLEGES can pay coaches and an army of support staff what they do is because they pay the players $0. Pitt and schools like it could easily afford to pay the players. But maybe that means paying the HC $750K and assistants $200K and cutting back on support staff. Maybe that means cutting sports. Whatever needs to be done will be done.

Parsing our words now? Anyway, schools will call it a grant. Per diem. Anything but salary if they're able. Even then, that doesn't make a student playing football at a school a pro.

A grant or a per diem doesn't make them an employee. I am saying they will eventually will be employees. You dont agree. That's fine.

That thing was funny for maybe two weeks.

My post saying Pitt basketball should recruit Terrelle Pryor is a good use for that even though I was mostly joking. Saying a coach is going to be fired or leave is maybe the worst use of it.

Pryor is too old now but hypothetically, if an NFL player decided to play college basketball, they could sue and win and be eligible. I have said many times that the NCAA will never win another eligibility case.

My post saying Pitt basketball should recruit Terrelle Pryor is a good use for that even though I was mostly joking. Saying a coach is going to be fired or leave is maybe the worst use of it.

Pryor is too old now but hypothetically, if an NFL player decided to play college basketball, they could sue and win and be eligible. I have said many times that the NCAA will never win another eligibility case.
Somehow this reminds me of a conversation on here in 2020 about giving HS baseball players an extra year of eligibility and seeing dudes sitting around their apartment on Atwood drinking Natty saying "welp, I gotta run to baseball practice"

There goes your attendance and financial support !

I dont know why this guy wants to see math and engineering students play football. There is the Ivy League for that. This is pro ball and the majority of players at places like Pitt arent real student athletes. They are full time pros who take classes in their spare time, most taking the easiest majors. He wants college football to be something it isnt.

I dont know why this guy wants to see math and engineering students play football. There is the Ivy League for that. This is pro ball and the majority of players at places like Pitt arent real student athletes. They are full time pros who take classes in their spare time, most taking the easiest majors. He wants college football to be something it isnt.
I want college football to be what college football was as little as 5 years ago, student-athletes competing for their school and trying to reach the next level as a career while having an education as a backup. Was it fair that their work lead to TV money that wasn't shared? No, of course not, and that should be addressed by some means that doesn't come close to your scenario that will destroy the sport.

You continue to insult those student-athletes that do attend real classes and work toward degrees, of which there are many.

maybe not pay coaches 6-7 million per year?
That will be a natural result of dropping to a lower level. Unless you're implying that salaries should be cut while competing against schools who don't align with that. Then you doom Pitt to a perpetual bottom-dweller.

I want college football to be what college football was as little as 5 years ago, student-athletes competing for their school and trying to reach the next level as a career while having an education as a backup. Was it fair that their work lead to TV money that wasn't shared? No, of course not, and that should be addressed by some means that doesn't come close to your scenario that will destroy the sport.

You continue to insult those student-athletes that do attend real classes and work toward degrees, of which there are many.
Nothing wrong with wanting it. But it’s over and it’s not going back. This will end up way closer to what he’s saying than what you prefer. The toothpaste, as they say, isn’t going back in the tube.

But even 5 years ago, most werent real students. They take easy majors and professors pass them through. And a lot were getting illegal payments anyway. Now its just legal. I dont get why them becoming employees is a bridge too far for you but you will still watch college football if they make $1 million from pay for play NIL for visiting an animal shelter once or twice.

Nothing wrong with wanting it. But it’s over and it’s not going back. This will end up way closer to what he’s saying than what you prefer. The toothpaste, as they say, isn’t going back in the tube.
Then it will die. Hope you're happy.

But even 5 years ago, most werent real students. They take easy majors and professors pass them through. And a lot were getting illegal payments anyway. Now its just legal. I dont get why them becoming employees is a bridge too far for you but you will still watch college football if they make $1 million from pay for play NIL for visiting an animal shelter once or twice.
No, I won't.

And you're still insulting student-athletes.

I don’t particularly give a crap one way or the other. I’ve been spending less time watching and interest in general has been waning. So to paraphrase Ivan Drago, if it dies, or dies.
That's an indicator that it is already dying. Going full pro would be the nail in the coffin. That's when it becomes the USFL.

If they go full pro, there isn't a reason for the NFL to play along.

Sure there is. It would still be a minor league that they don't have to pay for.

I'm not saying the relationship wouldn't change, but most businesses would love to have a free source of potential employees. And if they got one, they wouldn't want to screw it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT