ADVERTISEMENT

This will be Narduzzi's last year at Pitt.

That's an indicator that it is already dying. Going full pro would be the nail in the coffin. That's when it becomes the USFL.

How? It is fully pro now but the player's salaries are being paid by boosters instead of the university. Do you think people are going to say, "That’s it, I was fine with boosters paying these guys but now that the universities are paying them instead, I'm out."

College football cant be stopped. Its popularity is massive.

How? It is fully pro now but the player's salaries are being paid by boosters instead of the university. Do you think people are going to say, "That’s it, I was fine with boosters paying these guys but now that the universities are paying them instead, I'm out."

College football cant be stopped. Its popularity is massive.
Your last line is correct. But your scenario is not college football. Its the USFL.

Your last line is correct. But your scenario is not college football. Its the USFL.

What is the difference to the common fan if player salaries are paid by the school instead of boosters? I mean everyone knows these guys are making tons of money right now. Why are they ok with boosters paying them but wouldn't be ok with the school paying?

What is the difference to the common fan if player salaries are paid by the school instead of boosters? I mean everyone knows these guys are making tons of money right now. Why are they ok with boosters paying them but wouldn't be ok with the school paying?
You completely ignore the rest of your scenario where they aren’t students and have unlimited eligibility. That’s the USFL and it will die.

Sure there is. It would still be a minor league that they don't have to pay for.

I'm not saying the relationship wouldn't change, but most businesses would love to have a free source of potential employees. And if they got one, they wouldn't want to screw it up.
I think they would be leery of anything that competes for TV money on a notable scale that could also compete for talent. The more money that gets thrown at college football, the more pressure there will be to lock the talent up for a longer period. I don't know. I think the NFL owners are going to watch this closely because they have it way too good to allow anything to cut into their money train.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT