ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from happy valley

Slick Manager of Champs

Heisman Candidate
Apr 22, 2007
Couple thoughts returning home happy valley:

* Been over 30 years since I was there, but stadium reminded me of Pitt stadium with bleacher seating and stuffed in like sardines, using the guy behind you knees as a backrest.

* 90% of the fans were classy, about 10% jagoffs. Probably the same ratio at Heinz or at any sporting event really (Haven't been to Morgantown recently so they may be different). Biggest jagoffs were the ones sitting in the Pitt section and walking through some of the student tailgates. Post game dinner in state college more mature fans came up to me and said nice game and looking forward to the trip to Pittsburgh.

* If PSU had a very good QB they would be unstoppable. Came away unimpressed with McSorely. He is average to slightly above. Barkely is very good, but I think nitter envy takes over when everyone is calling him great. Two years less than 100 yards against our defense? A great back would have torn it too shreds. But his touchdown run was exceptional. He made an incredible effort not to put his knee down and lept into the endzone. Should have a good NFL career unless he follows in the Carter, Enis, etc mold.

* Best offensive player is the TE Gesecki. Should also play a long time in NFL

* Our Dline is young and I think they will eventually come around. Assuming Hamlin & Ford get back and play to potential, defense should keep getting better. Very good effort today against a good offense although OSU will be the real test next week.

* I was thinking blowout after that quick 14 point lead. Great effort to fight back in it and keep it competitive. Too many wasted red zone trips. And that one drive they said we ran 15 plays for 8 minutes and net 30 yards and punted. Bad drops hurt a bunch also.

* Not that it mattered much, but totally ridiculous that the catch by Hamilton wasn't reviewed. And the penalty called on Maddox was very ticky tacky. Only called since it happened on nitter bench with a nitter crowd. Only one penalty all day for the nits? Saw some holds that were missed.

* the smell of cow manure was ever present right by the stadium. No further comment.

* They pretty much do the same as us Heinz with a lot of piped in music so it is obviously the trend now in college football. Blue band was fun to watch. Glad our band came as well.

* Decent cheer by Pitt fans during sweet caroline.

* I miss the game being played in November with more on the line but I have to admit sitting there on a beautiful September afternoon was much better than freezing in November.

* I love that Franklin made those comments. He may say it is not a rivalry but his words say otherwise. Same with Wades trash tweeting. Only two more years so let's enjoy it.

* still hoping for the cosmic shift that puts Pitt, PSU & WVU in the same conference but don't think we will see it in our lifetime so this brief return will have to suffice.

huh? I'd rather have Shareef Miller or Wade than McSorely. Drops hurt Browne big time so far his season. WR's got to make a play once in a while. McSorely has his WR's making plays all day.

What he is saying , Mcsorely is much better than Browne, right now that's true. I hope we see a great game out of Browne next week.

What he is saying , Mcsorely is much better than Browne, right now that's true. I hope we see a great game out of Browne next week.

I agree with that I just don't think he is a difference maker to put us in top 20. McSorely has an excellent OC and very good RB, TE and WR surrounding him.

I came away impressed with Shareef Miller who lumpy was in on. But maybe it is more of a problem with JJS who has been between badly off the edge the past two weeks.

He's been a shadow of his pre-injury self. If he doesn't make progress quick, he'll be benched as some of the youngsters develop. The kid from Texas has been a major disappointment as well.

Reactions: phxpanther
Couple thoughts returning home happy valley:

* Been over 30 years since I was there, but stadium reminded me of Pitt stadium with bleacher seating and stuffed in like sardines, using the guy behind you knees as a backrest.

* 90% of the fans were classy, about 10% jagoffs. Probably the same ratio at Heinz or at any sporting event really (Haven't been to Morgantown recently so they may be different). Biggest jagoffs were the ones sitting in the Pitt section and walking through some of the student tailgates. Post game dinner in state college more mature fans came up to me and said nice game and looking forward to the trip to Pittsburgh.

* If PSU had a very good QB they would be unstoppable. Came away unimpressed with McSorely. He is average to slightly above. Barkely is very good, but I think nitter envy takes over when everyone is calling him great. Two years less than 100 yards against our defense? A great back would have torn it too shreds. But his touchdown run was exceptional. He made an incredible effort not to put his knee down and lept into the endzone. Should have a good NFL career unless he follows in the Carter, Enis, etc mold.

* Best offensive player is the TE Gesecki. Should also play a long time in NFL

* Our Dline is young and I think they will eventually come around. Assuming Hamlin & Ford get back and play to potential, defense should keep getting better. Very good effort today against a good offense although OSU will be the real test next week.

* I was thinking blowout after that quick 14 point lead. Great effort to fight back in it and keep it competitive. Too many wasted red zone trips. And that one drive they said we ran 15 plays for 8 minutes and net 30 yards and punted. Bad drops hurt a bunch also.

* Not that it mattered much, but totally ridiculous that the catch by Hamilton wasn't reviewed. And the penalty called on Maddox was very ticky tacky. Only called since it happened on nitter bench with a nitter crowd. Only one penalty all day for the nits? Saw some holds that were missed.

* the smell of cow manure was ever present right by the stadium. No further comment.

* They pretty much do the same as us Heinz with a lot of piped in music so it is obviously the trend now in college football. Blue band was fun to watch. Glad our band came as well.

* Decent cheer by Pitt fans during sweet caroline.

* I miss the game being played in November with more on the line but I have to admit sitting there on a beautiful September afternoon was much better than freezing in November.

* I love that Franklin made those comments. He may say it is not a rivalry but his words say otherwise. Same with Wades trash tweeting. Only two more years so let's enjoy it.

* still hoping for the cosmic shift that puts Pitt, PSU & WVU in the same conference but don't think we will see it in our lifetime so this brief return will have to suffice.

I am a PSU fan, and I enjoyed reading this, cant wait til next year, see you in Pittsburgh.

* Not that it mattered much, but totally ridiculous that the catch by Hamilton wasn't reviewed.

That was a big play. 3rd & 11. Pitt had momentum. No way was that a catch. Good chance it would have been overturned on review. If Hamilton even had possession he was out. Pitt gets that call reversed and they're never pinned deep on the punt & PSU never gets the safety. Quadree gets another crack at a return. At worst Pitt gets ball back at 25-30 after just beasting PSU on the scoring drive.

That was a big play. 3rd & 11. Pitt had momentum. No way was that a catch. Good chance it would have been overturned on review. If Hamilton even had possession he was out. Pitt gets that call reversed and they're never pinned deep on the punt & PSU never gets the safety. Quadree gets another crack at a return. At worst Pitt gets ball back at 25-30 after just beasting PSU on the scoring drive.

Penn State ran a quick play to avoid the review. Narduzzi should have called a time out...

exactly. Who knows, henderson finally breaks it a little and we get the ball at midfield after the punt. Have some momentum. A score there and it is 28-21 with about 3-4 minutes to play. Nits would be on the ropes a little and a stop there we get the ball with a chance to tie and about 2 minutes left to play. Narduzzi should have called a timeout there to hope for a review or at least challenge if a review wasn't forthcoming. Instead excellent punt pins us at goaline, safety and ballgame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT