ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Saturday

Saboteur

All Conference
Jan 15, 2015
Many places. but not all
1. Hard to imagine a worse performance.
2. First time I feel that PN simply did not have his team mentally or physically or schematically prepared to play.
3. Now you know why scheduling more than one OOC power is frowned upon.
4. Pitt has serious problems at QB. SERIOUS PROBLEMS. Ask the CLEVELAND BROWNS about the importance of the position.
5. Firing coaches with winning records after 3 years is insane. No one will ever take the job and PN is a good coach. But he must get better.
6. Our D line would have trouble at the YSU level. They simply don't match up with the rest of CFB.
7. Candidly, no one on our defense matches well at this level.
8. Max is a fine man by all accounts, but he represents one of the misses in the STAR system.
9. Ben has fundamental flaws in his technique.
10. The staff gets an F for yesterday.
Other stuff

A. Ask Nebraska how they feel today.
B. Ohio State offense still stinks, those glorified pitches to WRs work against Army.
C. Purdue.
D. Clemson is real.
E. Saw Foster made a helluva play for 'Bama yesterday.
F. Michigan is overrated.
G.PSU should win their division.
H. Read where Dantonio is on the hot seat next to NDs coach.
I. Back to Pitt. The experience in the stadium with scoreboard, announcement s and that God awful PA announcer has to be scrapped.

Reactions: Jsutt
Some good points.

Re: 2/5, agree people are freaking out but this is pretty much the only game about 29 games into PN's tenure (aside from maybe Miami...) in which they were just never competitive. Today was inexcusable but these games happen, especially to young teams going up against a program with seemingly one of their best teams ever. At least he hasn't really lost any games he shouldn't have? Aside from Northwestern...

Re: 3, it's just very unfortunate in a year like this with our suspensions, injuries, players lost to the NFL that we get these two teams, basically at their best in years, back to back. The Ok St series did no good except for to continue all our self-loathing and give the haters some fuel "hahaha free drink hahaha sleeping fans" yea ok boss go back to your trailer in Hoopieville or Pennsyltucky.

Re: G, they are good, but I feel this point is more in reaction to other B1G teams kinda looking suspect. They're having their fun now but why don't we see them actually beat a real team first?

Some good points.

Re: 2/5, agree people are freaking out but this is pretty much the only game about 29 games into PN's tenure (aside from maybe Miami...) in which they were just never competitive. Today was inexcusable but these games happen, especially to young teams going up against a program with seemingly one of their best teams ever. At least he hasn't really lost any games he shouldn't have? Aside from Northwestern...

Re: 3, it's just very unfortunate in a year like this with our suspensions, injuries, players lost to the NFL that we get these two teams, basically at their best in years, back to back. The Ok St series did no good except for to continue all our self-loathing and give the haters some fuel "hahaha free drink hahaha sleeping fans" yea ok boss go back to your trailer in Hoopieville or Pennsyltucky.

Re: G, they are good, but I feel this point is more in reaction to other B1G teams kinda looking suspect. They're having their fun now but why don't we see them actually beat a real team first?
I concur with other Big10 teams being suspect.

Not sure Nebraska is the right group of fans to talk to. Riley was hired at the same time as PN. And a large % of the fan base has already accepted he isn't the answer, and the AD isn't exactly giving Riley the most glowing review. Meaning, it's not inconceivable that Riley will already be gone at the end of this year.

Reactions: pittman71
OKst would beat PSU, very short leash for Browne, start breaking in next years QB. We had too many bad breaks early, then team was pressing (and gambling) making it look worst

Clemson/Bama for the natty, OKst in final 4

Last edited:
OKst probably worst matchup for Pitt this year. But how does secondary coach Hill survive what seemingly looks like another record breaking year?

I think we have plenty of players that match up well at this level, just not with the better teams. Beyond VT and Miami, we are on par with everyone else. We're young so I hope we get better. I think 6-6 is still very reasonable. Disappointing but reasonable.

After watching Pedst and OkieSt in consecutive weeks - Okie St would beat Pedst in a similar manner as they beat Pitt.

Okie St is just a great offensive team- probably the best in the nation.

OSU would beat PSU, very short leash for Browne, start breaking in next years QB. We had too many bad breaks early, then team was pressing (and gambling) making it look worst

Clemson/Bama for the natty, OSU in final 4

Imperfect comparison, I know, but based on what I saw the last 2 weeks, Ok St would beat PSU (right now) by at least 2 TDs, quite possibly more.

From coaches down to the players, team didn't seem "ready" for this game and I suspect a PSU hangover is partly responsible.

Last edited:
Good Read.

I agree about people wanting PN to go are super short sighted. He largely overachieved the last 2 years. I do understand and share feelings that he showed signs of being a bad coach yesterday, and in fact most of this season. But I have no problem giving him 4 years because he did fairly well seasons 1 and 2 when many he spoke about him winnign games that woudl have been lost by previous coaches.

The other thing that bothers me about this season is that I don't see one position that is playing well. There is no strength anywhere on the team. Postions range to horrible to average on a good day.

I didnt' think we woud have a good season, and after YSU I said that this will be the 98 2-9 season again. If I am wrong, we will find out in the next few weeks.

I will respectfully disagree with this:

Our defense is going to be good very soon. It is understandable I suppose. ....to want PN out...but would be a mistake and fortunately is not going to happen.

Rip me if you like....but I am excited about the future of this defense.

Pitt's most pressing issue (on the field)....is finding a playmaking quarterback.

unfortunately it is the story of Pitt recruiting the past 20 years. With Walt, Woodland Hills has Breaton & Mundy and we end up with Yezovich. With Narduzzi, Pine Richland has Jurkovec & DiNucci and we get DiNucci.

Somehow in the 70's we convinced a franchise player to commit to a 1-9 team. Someone needs to review the history on that one since Jurkovec is one of those players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT