ADVERTISEMENT

Three things I worry about and three things I feel food about

Oregon_Panther

Redshirt
Oct 7, 2001
MY fellow PITT fans...I look forward to this Thursday night’s Win against wvu...

i feel good good about this year because:

1. Two superb lines that can control the line of scrimmag.

2. Gifted skill playmakers, especially on Offense.

3. Good blend of experience, depth, and a coaching staff that has built a culture of family winning.

my three worries:

1. Kicking game...a lot of unproven pieces.

2. Passing defense...I think back to Tennessee with receivers running open all over the field, Clemson with key drops ((including the wide open receiver running down the middle), and Skyy Moore running seeemingly untouched every WMU offensive play.

3. As a time-tested, loyal PITT fan, I am among the legions who have perfected the art of worrying. If we’re winning by 40 in the fourth quarter, I still feel it’s gut-check time. We have the unique ability to find problems/worries in our successes!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

I'm not expecting a giant drop off from Pickett to Slovis and JA to Mumpfield.

The kicking game is always a crapshoot when breaking in new guys- this one is concerning to me as well..

I’m cautiously optimistic heading into this season. I think we really can build off of last season and take that next step, but I’m also getting major deja vu from 2010 when we were in a similar situation.

I partially agree with your assessment. In terms of the lines, I'm very confident in our D- Line. They will shut down the run and pressure the QB. I'm somewhat less positive about our O Line. Yes, we have all of our starters back, but I didn't think the O-Line was all that great last year. Kenny had plenty of pressure on him throughout the year, but his ability to scramble and throw accurately on the run made up for any pass protection deficiencies. I doubt that Slovis is as mobile so we better hope these guys are better in pass protection this year. Same thing with run blocking. It was average in general. I think we averaged about 4.0 yards per carry last year. Not horrible but not world beating either. Need to be better this year. We shall see. WVU will be a test up front with their weird defense.

I agree we have playmakers at the skill positions on offense. I think this is the best WR group (as a whole) that we've ever had at Pitt. There's no Larry Fitz or Jordan Addison, but they have plenty of playmakers. RB's are solid if not spectacular. Again, there is no TD or Shady in the backfield, but we have a bunch of capable backs.

Slovis should be solid IF he gets time to throw. If he's under lots of pressure we could have problems because he's not going to be confused with KP. No idea how aggressive Cignetti will be in calling plays.

Defensively, our front 7 should be very good. Despite our losses at LB, I think that group is going to be very good. Our DB's always worry me. We seem to have good quality players out there but somehow teams that can protect light us up. If we don't get to Daniels and rattle him, WVU could put up some numbers.

Should be a great first game.

Cruzer

I agree with Cruzer about the OL. It's another year of experience, but experience doesn't always equate to being better. The line has good moments, however, is not consistent and could be much better in the run blocking department.

While there is no star on offense, there is a lot of depth and threats to spread the ball around, which should make this a diverse offense. Defensively, as long as the front four can do their job, the rest of the defense will be very good. If they can't generate pressure, you'll see the secondary give up some big plays.

I’m worried about jump balls thrown deep down the sidelines to their two tall WRs. One is listed as 6-3, the other 6-4. They will attack Williams for sure…

Go Pitt.

Worrying won't determine the outcome of the game. As Pitt fans we have become conditioned to anxiety when it comes to games we should feel good about, only to stress as to which Pitt team will show up.

Opening the season against the hoopies brings two kinds of mindsets. Beat them and send their redneck inbreds back to the junkyards and gravel pits they come from. Oakland will be rocking.

Lose to them and well.....anyway

This could be the perfect opening game they need. No Ball State, Akron, or UMass. Somebody that gets their adrenaline in gear from opening kickoff to victory. Jump start the season with a bang. Let's do it.

Last edited:
i think nard dog tries to play this game close to the vest and win with a good running game and dominant defensive line. If WVU scores points early, it will be really interesting to see how the offense reacts

Having two big games right out of the gate with a team with a new OC, starting QB, #1 WR give pause for some worry. These guys will likely jell but it just isn’t realistic to expect pinpoint precision right out of the gate. If they have a really tough start, there could be real trouble. These games are exciting on paper for fans, but probably the one time that it would have been good to have a couple gimmes to start the season.

The offensive line ran the ball last year when it had to. Last year was probably a lot more time passing blocking in practice then working on the run game. This camp sounds like they did run game letting the big guys get down hill which they all like. They'll probably run more power and counter schemes. Plus, Carter can be a big help at fullback. The O line experience does matter. H2P

Worries:
1) Turnovers
2) Penalties
3) Refs

4) Bonus worry: catching fleas from WVU fans

I am hopeful that Pitt defense knocks Daniels out of the game in the 1st half.

Last edited:
I'm not expecting a giant drop off from Pickett to Slovis and JA to Mumpfield.

The kicking game is always a crapshoot when breaking in new guys- this one is concerning to me as well..

Unfortunately I am. That Virginia game...Addison was incredible. There will be a dropoff, but hopefully a more consistent run game will compensate for it.

Having two big games right out of the gate with a team with a new OC, starting QB, #1 WR give pause for some worry. These guys will likely jell but it just isn’t realistic to expect pinpoint precision right out of the gate. If they have a really tough start, there could be real trouble. These games are exciting on paper for fans, but probably the one time that it would have been good to have a couple gimmes to start the season.

Said many times, give me a jobber in week one, then someone bigger week 2. Like 2016, except don't play another P5 after playing PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT