ADVERTISEMENT

Tickets to Yankee Stadium game with Syracuse on hold

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
I ordered 2 tickets to this game. The folks at Pitt told me that they have to wait and see how many tickets Syracuse allots to Pitt before they can definitively tell me whether I’m in. Now I’m in good shape with points and my hotel reservation is set.
But I was under the impression that a home team was required to set aside a minimum number of tickets for the visiting team.
Seems as though I am mistaken.

I ordered 2 tickets to this game. The folks at Pitt told me that they have to wait and see how many tickets Syracuse allots to Pitt before they can definitively tell me whether I’m in. Now I’m in good shape with points and my hotel reservation is set.
But I was under the impression that a home team was required to set aside a minimum number of tickets for the visiting team.

Who cares. You’ll be able to get tickets for like $6 on secondary market

Who cares. You’ll be able to get tickets for like $6 on secondary market
There are Pitt fans that order directly through Pitt because they know it helps the athletic department. It is a lot more relevant to a Pitt Message Board than a lot of the other posts on here that have nothing to do with Pitt Football.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It's normal. Pitt can request more from Syracuse as well. I doubt getting tickets to this game will be any difficulty at all

Reactions: Saboteur II
There are Pitt fans that order directly through Pitt because they know it helps the athletic department. It is a lot more relevant to a Pitt Message Board than a lot of the other posts on here that have nothing to do with Pitt Football.
I’m one of those. Plus, my tolerance for bratty kids who can’t handle their alcohol and vomit everywhere is zilch. Learn how to drink without making everyone else suffer. I’ll be one of those old men getting beat up by 5 or 6 punks you see from time to time. I don’t give a __ck. I’ve lived and enjoyed my life. I’d rather die that way than being a veggie.

• Wow
Reactions: FireballZ and NTOP
The sharps on this board must be correct, as this can only mean one thing...the ACC is disbanding and this game is unlikely to be played next season. Maybe Coach can backfill this one with Youngstown State?

That’s not the point. He’s worried about getting tickets. If he puts in a request and they are all filled before his is, he tried his best to help Pitt.

It seems his worry was getting tickets in general. Which should be the last of anyone’s concern for Pitt Syracuse.

Getting in will not be difficult. Understanding why in the hell Pitt and Syracuse are playing a regular season game in a baseball stadium will be tough, though.
mine is not to wonder why, mine is to be happy that I can get to a Pitt away game that is closer than a Pitt home game for me...

Not a season ticket holder. Pitt would not sell me tix to the NC game. Had to buy from Stub Hub.
Game wasn’t a sellout, so we walked down the Pitt section and sat with the Homie’s. Was easy.
Live in SC. Reason I’m not a season ticket holder.
Was a good game for a while. Still glad we went.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Regular season away games don't help Pitt by you getting tickets through Pitt, as they return unused tickets to the home team. This is different than bowl games where Pitt is required to buy a specified number of seats. So buying bowl tickets thru Pitt definitely helps Pitt. It also logs you as a supporter, as Pitt is notorious for having a poor supporting traveling fanbase. Away conference games don't factor into this.

I've been in contact with someone from the Pitt ticket office for this game, since I don't want to sit behind a foul pole or in the lower level which is terrible for football (very flat and you can't see over the players standing on the sideline). Have been told that the tickets are not coming from SU but from Yankee Stadium, and they haven't been told where the seats are. As a result, they likely will extend the June 12 deadline for this game ticket request.

It has something to do with the greenish, rectangular pieces of paper that so many people can't seem to live without.

You think Syracuse is making out on this deal? If they are, it isn't anything significant. Their AD has already said they would never do this if they didn't have six other home games already. On top of that, they discounted their season tickets because of losing this game and have "worked out a deal with the Yankees to cover travel costs incurred."

I know it's getting nationally televised, but I'm not sure by whom - whether it's above and beyond what the ACC would have had that week anyway or not. Extra TV money would almost have to be the reason for this, because it's pretty dumb otherwise and they won't be able to give some of these tickets away for free.

I would think the Pinstripe Bowl, which both schools have participated in recently, has eroded the novelty of playing a game at Yankee Stadium. Seemed like most everyone who went said the place sucked as a football venue and the sightlines were bad.

You think Syracuse is making out on this deal? If they are, it isn't anything significant. Their AD has already said they would never do this if they didn't have six other home games already. On top of that, they discounted their season tickets because of losing this game and have "worked out a deal with the Yankees to cover travel costs incurred."

I know it's getting nationally televised, but I'm not sure by whom - whether it's above and beyond what the ACC would have had that week anyway or not. Extra TV money would almost have to be the reason for this, because it's pretty dumb otherwise and they won't be able to give some of these tickets away for free.

I would think the Pinstripe Bowl, which both schools have participated in recently, has eroded the novelty of playing a game at Yankee Stadium. Seemed like most everyone who went said the place sucked as a football venue and the sightlines were bad.

I would guess moving the game to the Bronx will make Syracuse $1 million-$2 million vs what they would have made in Syracuse.

I would guess moving the game to the Bronx will make Syracuse $1 million-$2 million vs what they would have made in Syracuse.

It doesn't sound like it by the excerpt from the article I read:

Wildhack joked that Dino Babers, like most college football coaches, would love to have 12 home games on the schedule but said he recognized the opportunity to play at Yankee Stadium and supported moving the game.

“The fact that we’ll still have six home games is paramount,” Wildhack said. “If that wasn’t the case, I wouldn’t do it. We’re not dropping below six home games.”

As for the financial impact of moving the game for both the university and fans, Wildhack said he’s confident the arrangement the university has made with the Yankees will cover any additional costs SU incurs by needing to travel.

The university is also working to arrange discounted tickets for season ticket holders who will have one less home game to look forward to. Season tickets are not yet on sale, but fans can make a $25 deposit to hold their spot for the upcoming season.

While details of the game are still being finalized, Wildhack said he assumes there will be celebrations before the game and during to commemorate the centennial anniversary. It is also expected to be nationally televised.

Obviously the Yankees will be getting theirs. I don't really see where the opportunity exists to generate much more revenue than they would have with a home game in which they're entitled to full ticket, concession, and stadium parking revenue, etc. Especially when adding discounted season tickets on top of that. Even if it is an extra million bucks, that'd be peanuts and not worth a solely revenue-incentivized venue change. Has to have something to do with the TV angle, I would imagine.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like it by the excerpt from the article I read:

Wildhack joked that Dino Babers, like most college football coaches, would love to have 12 home games on the schedule but said he recognized the opportunity to play at Yankee Stadium and supported moving the game.

“The fact that we’ll still have six home games is paramount,” Wildhack said. “If that wasn’t the case, I wouldn’t do it. We’re not dropping below six home games.”

As for the financial impact of moving the game for both the university and fans, Wildhack said he’s confident the arrangement the university has made with the Yankees will cover any additional costs SU incurs by needing to travel.

The university is also working to arrange discounted tickets for season ticket holders who will have one less home game to look forward to. Season tickets are not yet on sale, but fans can make a $25 deposit to hold their spot for the upcoming season.

While details of the game are still being finalized, Wildhack said he assumes there will be celebrations before the game and during to commemorate the centennial anniversary. It is also expected to be nationally televised.

Obviously the Yankees will be getting theirs. I don't really see where the opportunity exists to generate much more revenue than they would have with a home game in which they're entitled to full ticket, concession, and stadium parking revenue, etc. Especially when adding discounted season tickets on top of that. Even if it is an extra million bucks, that'd be peanuts and not worth a solely revenue-incentivized venue change. Has to have something to do with the TV angle, I would imagine.

They wont get a penny more from TV even if its like the Saturday Night ABC game, which it will not be. I think they are mainly doing it for their NYC alums as they try to be NYC's team. And also, I think they are going to make something. Maybe Chase Bank pays $500K to call it the Chase Classic or something and the Yankees/Syracuse split it. I think you are forgetting that if Pitt is good, there may be 10K Pitt fans at the game. Perhaps Syracuse can sell 35K and you have close to a sell-out at more expensive price points than at the Dome.

I don’t think Syracuse will get a dime extra, it was likely something the conference leaned on them heavily to do to make an otherwise drab matchup a tiny bit more interesting. Might get it on the Deuce rather than the almost certain ACCN nooner it would have been otherwise.

No doubt they might do the same to us someday, make us play a ‘home’ game vs Cuse in Philly or New Jersey, or play Boston College in Dublin or something. And we’ll bow to it just like Cuse did.

I don’t think Syracuse will get a dime extra, it was likely something the conference leaned on them heavily to do to make an otherwise drab matchup a tiny bit more interesting. Might get it on the Deuce rather than the almost certain ACCN nooner it would have been otherwise.

No doubt they might do the same to us someday, make us play a ‘home’ game vs Cuse in Philly or New Jersey, or play Boston College in Dublin or something. And we’ll bow to it just like Cuse did.

The ACC isnt going to tell teams where to play its home games. Syracuse has played home games vs Notre Dame and Penn State in North Jersey, partly due to its NYC fanbase. They saw an opportunity to do it again as some special Centennial game or whatever it is.

I was trying to find where to request away tickets on the Pitt ticket site and I can't seem to find it can someone send the link to it

You think Syracuse is making out on this deal? If they are, it isn't anything significant.

The Georgia - Florida game in Jacksonville pays the two schools enough money that it's the approximate equivalent of them both playing the game at home every year. At a stadium that seats between 25-30,000 fewer people than either of the two home venues.

Just because Syracuse won't say that one of the reasons that they are doing this is to make more money doesn't mean that Syracuse won't be making more money. It just means that they won't state the obvious. They don't want to piss people off by telling them that they are giving them one fewer home game in order to chase the almighty dollar.

Reactions: FireballZ
The Georgia - Florida game in Jacksonville pays the two schools enough money that it's the approximate equivalent of them both playing the game at home every year. At a stadium that seats between 25-30,000 fewer people than either of the two home venues.

Just because Syracuse won't say that one of the reasons that they are doing this is to make more money doesn't mean that Syracuse won't be making more money. It just means that they won't state the obvious. They don't want to piss people off by telling them that they are giving them one fewer home game in order to chase the almighty dollar.

Yep. Higher price points in the Bronx.

Yep. Higher price points in the Bronx.

Exactly. That Syracuse season ticket holder who would have paid $50 for a ticket to the Pitt game at the Dome is going to have to pay $100 for the same seat at Yankee Stadium. That's one of the reasons that the season ticket holder is not happy about this. And that's one of the reasons that Syracuse can't come right out and say "we did this in part because we are going to make a lot more money."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT