ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Grgurich

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
I imagine he wasn’t there tonight when they honored the 1973-74 team, but I have always thought that Timmy had as much to do with that team’s success as anyone not named Billy Knight. After all, he and Ridl developed and perfected the amoeba defense which that team used so successfully.

After his run with UNLV and Tarkanian ended, Timmy has gone on to a long career as an assistant/consultant in the NBA stressing defense. I remember playing pickup games with him in the Field House while he was a Pitt assistant under Bob Timmons where if you were on his team and didn’t play good defense he would give you a stare that would shame you down to your core.

I imagine he wasn’t there tonight when they honored the 1973-74 team, but I have always thought that Timmy had as much to do with that team’s success as anyone not named Billy Knight. After all, he and Ridl developed and perfected the amoeba defense which that team used so successfully.

After his run with UNLV and Tarkanian ended, Timmy has gone on to a long career as an assistant/consultant in the NBA stressing defense. I remember playing pickup games with him in the Field House while he was a Pitt assistant under Bob Timmons where if you were on his team and didn’t play good defense he would give you a stare that would shame you down to your core.
He was there.

That’s great. I haven’t seen him in 10 years, but I bet he looks great and still in decent shape for an 81 year old man.
Bob Timmons was a great man. I had him for a golf teacher in 1971. Said that he quit because relating to 18 year old kids at that time.

Sat with him and watched a pick up game with a freshman by the name of Billy Knight playing against a Schenley, senior named Maurice Lucas. Bob had no doubt that Billy Knight would be the best player that ever put on a Pitt uniform. He knew what he was talking about.

Reactions: Parkview57

Actually, Fran Webster, Ridl's assistant at Westminster then at Pitt, devised the amoeba defense and Grgurich learned it at Pitt from them ..... and then took it to UNLV under Tarkanian.

Last edited:
Grgurich should’ve coached Pitt for two decades. The perfect guy to have lead Pitt into the Big East. A shame that didn’t work out. I met him in 90s when he was at Portland and I was doing an internship with the Clippers. The game was at The Pond in Anaheim.

Timmons hated to recruit. Called it vile. All the locals who got away during his tenure at Pitt was a fireable offense.

Didn’t he get into a fight with a player from CMU, early in his coaching tenure atPitt?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT