ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Zeuch - potential first rounder

Pittbaseball11

Heisman Candidate
Jul 3, 2005
Tejas
He has some helium leading up to draft day. Baseball America has him as their #26 prospect now. Solid shot to go on the first day of the draft, provided his bonus demands aren't ridiculous.

With MLB's new slotting system, guys will fall way further than they should if they have huge demands because teams need to be able to manipulate their bonus pools in order to fit them in without forfeiting draft picks. Daz Cameron was an example of that last year. They'll still get their money, they'll just go later than their talent would dictate if it was the NBA, NFL, or NHL draft.

Last edited:
BA put up a new mock draft today that has him going to the Pirates at #22

22. Pirates: Zeuch’s ascent—he pitches off his fastball more than most college starters and has a good body and arm action—fits perfectly for the Pirates. He has the starter traits and size they like in a pitcher and gives them a legit talent to draft from their hometown college. PICK: T.J. Zeuch, rhp
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-2-0/#dQpLUxzqGd20YgMq.99

A few weeks ago I saw a scout saying the Zeuch was most likely a second or possibly third round pick, and that him missing those games at the beginning of the season hurt him some because scouts didn't have a chance to see him much up to that point this year. I wonder if this is a case of the more scouts are getting to see him the more they like him.

A few weeks ago I saw a scout saying the Zeuch was most likely a second or possibly third round pick, and that him missing those games at the beginning of the season hurt him some because scouts didn't have a chance to see him much up to that point this year. I wonder if this is a case of the more scouts are getting to see him the more they like him.

This seems to be the word right now. Weather warmed up, scouts are getting to see him and his full arsenal, he's beginning to shoot up a bit. Hopefully this isn't happening too early for him, usually the later you can get momentum the better. Less opportunity to get nitpicked to death.

Also worth nothing that while Baseball America has him going #22 to the Pirates, he's also mentioned in their blurb related to pick #21 as a possibility there -- so it's not necessarily just a case of them forecasting him super high because of the local connection.

Zeuch in general seems to continue climbing the pre-draft rankings. Without knowing his bonus demands I think he has a really strong chance of going in the first day -- with the lone issue being that right handed college pitchers are the most likely type of player to inexplicably slip on draft day.

Zeuch hasnt been great in his last 3 outings, UVa, ND, and Miami. Of course, UVa and Miami are excellent but he didn't look special in any of those. With Zeuch, its more a case of what he can potentially be down the road because he's not at the point where you can hand him the ball and he can go beat an ACC team by himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT