ADVERTISEMENT

Canisius Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I think it’s fair to say that it’s not quite a good thing that we witnessed a game this exciting against a team such as Canisius.

** But let’s give our Golden Foes some credit. They played three fourths of this contest like they wanted it a little more than we did. And our Golden Panthers played a little too much they were going through the motions. That is until they finally snapped out of it and got down to business midway through the second half.

** It’s also not quite a good thing that Coach Capel actually needed to make a key defensive adjustment to turn the tide against the Griffins. But let’s give him due credit for making this move because it indeed made all the difference

** Jeff went to the 1-2-2 zone (or 3-2 depending how you want to call it) right around the same time the Panthers went down by seven in the second half. And the zone gave us three straight stops and the lead.

** And I don’t think Canisius would have ever led again if it weren’t for a really poor call from referee Clarence Armstrong that resulted in three foul shots.

** But the basketball gods interceded and allowed Ish to bank in a near corner three to make up the difference.

** While the 1-2-2 zone wasn’t exactly perfect, it was pretty interesting, especially when a team can put three guys up top who are 6-3, 6-5, and 6-11 like the Panthers did for most of its use.

** Jeff did plenty of tinkering with the lineup in this one pushing mostly the buttons that worked. Fede’s struggles continued in the first half so starting GDG in the 2nd half made plenty of sense. And Fede responded with two much needed buckets down the stretch.

** Jaland continues to improve a little more and more. And Jorge may have given the Panthers his best minutes of the year.

** Will finally showed some offense and even turned himself into the 30% shooter from three within one game.

** But let’s also mention Will’s play in this one that mattered most. With three minutes to go, I kind of wondered to myself why Capel went back to Will in place of Jorge as Twin 2’s length was seemingly making a huge difference defensively. Was it possible that Jeff knew he’d need Will’s quickness to hustle down an offensive rebound that led to a Fede Ally-Oop and a nine point lead?

** I’m still having a hard time knowing just what this team’s ceiling really is. Just two games ago, we looked like had no bench to speak of, and just like the WVU game, our extra four were tremendous difference makers.

** Today, they stood in for 71 minutes and 22 points.

** Collectively, they are giving Coach more options and more options are often how teams become the best team they can be.

** Teams are also the best team they can be when their best players play like their best players, and our top trio fit the bill, especially in the second half.

** Of course, I still wish that Bub didn’t seem quite so allergic to contact. I’m not questioning his toughness mind you. But at least twice tonight, he drove the lane and could have tried for a contested finish. But on both occasions, he decided to dish instead to mixed results. So at this point he’s purely a finesse player, and as long as the leads the Panthers to wins, I suppose complains aren’t quite so warranted.

** Meanwhile, everything Blake Hinson seems to be doing right now is leading the Panthers in a winning direction.

** If someone thinks there has been a better player in the Country over the last four games, I challenge them to tell me who that is.

** During this stretch, he’s averaging 26 PPG, 5.8 rebounds, shooting 57% from the floor and unreal 62% from three, while just turning it over 5 times.

** More impressive was his wisdom to drive the basketball this day when the Griffins did everything in their power to plan against him letting the three fly.

** Most impressive was diving on the floor with a little under 4 minutes to go to secure a loose ball that eventually pushed the Panther lead to 9.

** During the open practice in October, I recall wondering who this team’s leader would be, even though we knew Blake was their best player. Blake may not be the same kind of leader that Brandin, Jaron, Levance or Jamarius were for their teams with their demeanor. But at the moment, Blake is every bit their equal as a leader with his play.

** And with this leadership, Panther fans were able to go home happy, regardless of the notion that this game was perhaps a little more exciting than it should have been.

** But let’s also mention Will’s play in this one that mattered most. With three minutes to go, I kind of wondered to myself why Capel went back to Will in place of Jorge as Twin 2’s length was seemingly making a huge difference defensively. Was it possible that Jeff knew he’d need Will’s quickness to hustle down an offensive rebound that led to a Fede Ally-Oop and a nine point lead?

You may not have seen this, but Jorge was absolutely gassed and actually signaled to the bench that he needed a blow. When they took him out, even though it was on a timeout, he immediately went and sat on the bench by himself for a short time with his head down, completely spent. But a few minutes later (real time, not game time) he was ready to go back in.

Reactions: PittMan2003
You may not have seen this, but Jorge was absolutely gassed and actually signaled to the bench that he needed a blow. When they took him out, even though it was on a timeout, he immediately went and sat on the bench by himself for a short time with his head down, completely spent. But a few minutes later (real time, not game time) he was ready to go back in.
I didn't see that so thanks for the addition. I sit behind the behind the bench and don't get the same good look that you do from your seat.

I didn't see that so thanks for the addition. I sit behind the behind the bench and don't get the same good look that you do from your seat.

There are definitely some things you can pick up on sitting in certain places that you can't see in other spots, and that just happened to be one. Along with the fact that I just happened to be looking over as he was going past the bench (before the timeout call) and saw him signalling them that he needed to come out. That part of it was just luck, looking in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: Pitt5593
** I think it’s fair to say that it’s not quite a good thing that we witnessed a game this exciting against a team such as Canisius.

** But let’s give our Golden Foes some credit. They played three fourths of this contest like they wanted it a little more than we did. And our Golden Panthers played a little too much they were going through the motions. That is until they finally snapped out of it and got down to business midway through the second half.

** It’s also not quite a good thing that Coach Capel actually needed to make a key defensive adjustment to turn the tide against the Griffins. But let’s give him due credit for making this move because it indeed made all the difference

** Jeff went to the 1-2-2 zone (or 3-2 depending how you want to call it) right around the same time the Panthers went down by seven in the second half. And the zone gave us three straight stops and the lead.

** And I don’t think Canisius would have ever led again if it weren’t for a really poor call from referee Clarence Armstrong that resulted in three foul shots.

** But the basketball gods interceded and allowed Ish to bank in a near corner three to make up the difference.

** While the 1-2-2 zone wasn’t exactly perfect, it was pretty interesting, especially when a team can put three guys up top who are 6-3, 6-5, and 6-11 like the Panthers did for most of its use.

** Jeff did plenty of tinkering with the lineup in this one pushing mostly the buttons that worked. Fede’s struggles continued in the first half so starting GDG in the 2nd half made plenty of sense. And Fede responded with two much needed buckets down the stretch.

** Jaland continues to improve a little more and more. And Jorge may have given the Panthers his best minutes of the year.

** Will finally showed some offense and even turned himself into the 30% shooter from three within one game.

** I’m still having a hard time knowing just what this team’s ceiling really is. Just two games ago, we looked like had no bench to speak of, and just like the WVU game, our extra four were tremendous difference makers.

** Today, they stood in for 71 minutes and 22 points.

** Collectively, they are giving Coach more options and more options are often how teams become the best team they can be.

** Teams are also the best team they can be when their best players play like their best players, and our top trio fit the bill, especially in the second half.

** Of course, I still wish that Bub didn’t seem quite so allergic to contact. I’m not questioning his toughness mind you. But at least twice tonight, he drove the lane and could have tried for a contested finish. But on both occasions, he decided to dish instead to mixed results. So at this point he’s purely a finesse player, and as long as the leads the Panthers to wins, I suppose complains aren’t quite so warranted.

** Meanwhile, everything Blake Hinson seems to be doing right now is leading the Panthers in a winning direction.

** If someone thinks there has been a better player in the Country over the last four games, I challenge them to tell me who that is.

** During this stretch, he’s averaging 26 PPG, 5.8 rebounds, shooting 57% from the floor and unreal 62% from three, while just turning it over 5 times.

** More impressive was his wisdom to drive the basketball this day when the Griffins did everything in their power to plan against him letting the three fly.

** Most impressive was diving on the floor with a little under 4:00 minutes to go to secure a loose ball that eventually pushed the Panther lead to 9.

-It was not a bad thing at all that this game was this tight and exciting. These kinds of games always provide great teaching moments and it is nice to learn and win at the same time.

-We finally decided to really work hard the last 12 minutes of the game. Capel’a switch of D was a big part of it, but so was some great offense during that stretch.

-The foul called on Blake on the 3 was really bad and …………………….really late. At the time, I thought it may kill our momentum, but it was a mere blip on the screen.

-I don’t think any of us know what the ceiling of this team might be, but it will be fun to watch. Jaland will continue to get better as will the twins and Will. I think the benching of Fede and Zack will only help down the road. He just wants them to play hard and if they don’t he’ll go to someone else.

-I was upset that Bub didn’t take a few all the way to the rim too, but was definitely happy to see him do it the last 2 possessions of the game. He can do it, needs to do it and hopefully this will give him some more confidence.

-Blake was outstanding again today. His temperament had been outstanding and he continues to play very hard on both ends of the court. That loose ball get was very impressive, as was his drives to the hoop and then when he sucked them in, he finished it off by nailing a few huge 3’s.

Fede was credited with only one assist during the game, but he was a huge part of the offense down the stretch catching the ball cleanly and making a good, quick first past that led to a second pass assist.

Last edited:
I missed the first half as I was watching the Women's Volleyball match: what a great comeback! 3rd FF in a row ... maybe the third time's a charm?

I Joined the game at beginning of the second half, and after spending the first 10 minutes wondering how/when the Panthers were going to "flip the switch", it happened

As you said, Dave, the 1-2-2 zone (plus the 3/4 court "press") really got the GG's out of their rhythm

They showed the replay of the foul on Blake that gave the Griffins their last lead at least three times. The announcing crew said repeatedly no foul, but as you commented, the BB Gods knew otherwise, and we never looked back

Canisius should do well in the MAAC; well coached and they have some shooters. The Mitchell kid (#23) hustles well

As an aside, when I started watching the game I wondered if it was Pitt in the gold uni's and Canisius was wearing white jerseys!

Next two games should be easier but I liked that we had to play the full 40 minutes. Games like this are good preps for ACC conference play

Last edited:
I just watched the game and my quick thoughts are this - glad Pitt came back and won and it was extremely concerning this game was close(until very late) and Pitt was losing for a decent stretch of it.

I think honestly this game is just more evidence Pitt is going to struggle in the ACC and finish in the bottom tier. Blake is great, the rest seem so up and down I really don't know who to count on in a given game. And the lack of inside offense and defense is gonna kill us throughout the season in conference play.

But we beat Canisius so yay.

Frde was credited with only one assist during the game, but he was a huge part of the offense down the stretch catching the ball cleanly and making a good, quick first past that led to a second pass assist.
I don't think it is a coincidence, but, to me, it seems we are at our best when Fede is in there and active without fouling. He and Bub had a little pick and roll going late and Fede made a few nice passes from the lane leading to open 3s. He also had the nice jam of the pass from Ish, after Will tracked the ball down in the corner.

I must say, I am intrigued by what going zone did for us. Granted it was Canisius, who I think has a nice team, but the zone really busted their rhythm. We started getting turnovers and made shots at the other end. I had been wondering in several of our prior games if Capel would go to a zone defense? I'm not sure if it could be a backup plan against ACC teams, but, there are going to be teams that expose our man-to-man defense. When it happens, I am all for going zone because we have the length to bother teams. Like DT said, it's about more options, going zone is just another one of those options.

Reactions: TheChair and gary2
I just watched the game and my quick thoughts are this - glad Pitt came back and won and it was extremely concerning this game was close(until very late) and Pitt was losing for a decent stretch of it.

I think honestly this game is just more evidence Pitt is going to struggle in the ACC and finish in the bottom tier. Blake is great, the rest seem so up and down I really don't know who to count on in a given game. And the lack of inside offense and defense is gonna kill us throughout the season in conference play.

Must be terrible to live your life in such a negative vibe. Maybe you can go to church on Sunday and see how blessed we really are and turn yourself around.

When we drive the ball, we have inside scoring. Spreading the court and driving gives us the inside scoring we need. Post up centers are becoming dinosaurs in the modern game anyway.

Reactions: TheChair
  • Carrington needs to make a few more of his many outside shots to open up space for him
  • Legget needs to adjust as he’s morphing into the Johnson/Mcgowens repetitive drive to nowhere
  • The twins are a big liability on defense in the Capel man/double team trap
  • Lowe continuing to improve
  • Nice to see Jeff finally tried something else zone
  • Huge Fede came to life at end.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Agree, especially with the last one. This team can take a big step forward if Fede can start to resemble the Fede of last year's early ACC season.

As we see every year there are many mid majors that have talented guys and they can hang or beat even the best of the big boys on any given night . Saying that Canisius played well and gave Pitt a good game . A good W for the team .

The portal gives these under recruited guys an opportunity to move up and cash in .

For a guy who can’t coach and make in game adjustments JC sure got lucky yesterday ! ( I’d like to remind everyone of the old saying , he’s forgotten more than you know )

Blake is ablaze , plus he went to the hoop yesterday better than I’ve seen him , but he does lay a path of bodies along the way which scares me a little . Pitt cannot afford him sitting on the bench in foul trouble .

Jaland continues on his path to becoming a real factor this year . He’s a player .

I wish the twins could learn from Blake , when they get the ball and have an open three let it fly . Their offense makes Pitt a hard team to defend .

What about Wil 2-2 from 3 ! If Zack doesn’t come on Wils starting soon .( Zack only got 6 minutes yesterday ) Seeing the ball go in when the lights are on might be all it takes for him to gain confidence in his shot . There’s no reason he can’t average 7/8 ppg.

Fede played better down the stretch, but he’s got to play better or like Zack he’s going to find himself coming off the bench .

Bub still got 16 yesterday despite not shooting well from 3 , his midrange jumper is deadly .

You’re definitely not alone in this but a good example why games like this whether in FB or BB are a no-win situation. Canisius is better than a ‘rent-a-win’ team but still falls into the category where fans are jumping off a cliff if we lose, outraged if we win close and meh/we did what we were supposed to do if we win big.

Or I guess worse yet, thinking we’re heading to the elite 8/final 4 after a big blowout win over a rent-a-win team.

Me, I’ll still go with being way more impressed with this win than any of the early season blowouts.

You’re definitely not alone in this but a good example why games like this whether in FB or BB are a no-win situation. Canisius is better than a ‘rent-a-win’ team but still falls into the category where fans are jumping off a cliff if we lose, outraged if we win close and meh/we did what we were supposed to do if we win big.

Or I guess worse yet, thinking we’re heading to the elite 8/final 4 after a big blowout win over a rent-a-win team.

Me, I’ll still go with being way more impressed with this win than any of the early season blowouts.
Yes, Canisius is not all that bad. I actually thought
they were better than WVU and FGCU. They've
lost a few games on the road, for example, lost
to Syracuse 89-77, and the Cuse looks pretty good
so far. I agree also, a better win than "rent a win"
games earlier. Canisius also is well coached IMO.
What did concern me again, is how some of these
mid majors come in here and at times "manhandle"
us on the inside. Yesterday they were the same as
us with 25 rebounds. One of their bigs, Mitchell
overpowered us at time inside. I'm waiting to see
how that plays out in ACC play.

One last thing, I think Capel was right saying we
were"tired" after the number of recent games.
Blake played 37 minutes. That's a lot for a guy
his size. I know he needs to be on the floor, but
I'd like to see him get a few minutes off each half.

Where does this team currently stand versus your expectations for the team?

I was at a Christmas party last night, so I had to wait until this morning to see the game (without being aware of the outcome).

First half, though it was close, I wasn't all that concerned, because I didn't feel like Pitt was playing bad, other than too many early turnovers. Canisius was shooting well, and playing well, especially the kid that didn't miss a shot.

Coming out the second half watching Pitt go down by 7 I did start to feel a little anxiety, though, but then the switch to zone seemed to fix things.

Carrington took 16 shots, Hinson only 13. That's backwards. There were several times in the second half where Blake was open (at least in Blake terms) that Bub didn't pass to him. In fact there were too many possessions Blake never touched the ball. Yeah, they were playing him tight, but they need to run even more screens for him when he doesn't have the ball. The stats they kept showing on TV about his catch and shoot three point percentage was fascinating.

There was another nice twin-to-twin play in the second half.

Fede was credited with only one assist during the game, but he was a huge part of the offense down the stretch catching the ball cleanly and making a good, quick first past that led to a second pass assist.
Capel coached today offense and defense.

The offense at the end looked like a well oiled machine

Where does this team currently stand versus your expectations for the team?
Would have liked to see 1 more W against the OOC P5 slate, that being Mizzou, but otherwise they’re about where expected record-wise.

We’ve only played 1 ACC game so far so there’s a lot still to de determined. I haven’t been all that optimistic based on how they’ve been playing but unlike most herein I thought yesterday was a positive sign.

Reactions: gary2
** During the open practice in October, I recall wondering who this team’s leader would be, even though we knew Blake was their best player. Blake may not be the same kind of leader that Brandin, Jaron, Levance or Jamarius were for their teams with their demeanor. But at the moment, Blake is every bit their equal as a leader with his play.
It's difficult to see us being a better team next year with Mr. Hinson gone. He's been that good.

Last night's game was a classic trap game after a big win against a rival on the road. I'm not surprised that we struggled but am glad to see we showed a lot of grit to come back and win like we did.

It's difficult to see us being a better team next year with Mr. Hinson gone. He's been that good.
With NIL, it is just so hard to be able to think forward even one year anymore. I would tend to think that if they return the twins, Lowe and Leggett (let alone Fede, Jeffress, Kante and Austin), they should be able to build out a fine team around them. But who knows at this point?

Reactions: Protes
Would have liked to see 1 more W against the OOC P5 slate, that being Mizzou, but otherwise they’re about where expected record-wise.

We’ve only played 1 ACC game so far so there’s a lot still to de determined. I haven’t been all that optimistic based on how they’ve been playing but unlike most herein I thought yesterday was a positive sign.
Thanks for the reply.

With NIL, it is just so hard to be able to think forward even one year anymore. I would tend to think that if they return the twins, Lowe and Leggett (let alone Fede, Jeffress, Kante and Austin), they should be able to build out a fine team around them. But who knows at this point?
Jeffress won’t transfer unless forced off.
Twins are sort of a package deal.
Leggett and Austin already transferred.
NIL is limited for Fede and Kante.
So that leaves Lowe.

Starters
Leggett
Lowe
GDG
Jeffress
Cummings

Bench
JDG
Kante
Fede
Barnes
Austin
AN

Reactions: Pittnerski
So that leaves Lowe.

Starters
Leggett
Lowe
GDG
Jeffress
Cummings

Bench
JDG
Kante
Fede
Barnes
Austin
AN
I would not sleep on any of these kids leaving. It is just a different game now. FYI, Leggett and Austin likely will be/are graduates, so they can likely go when they please.

I am with you on the poor inside offense and defense being a serious liability. Any team, even fairly mediocre ones with beef on the low blocks will present a serious problem to the panthers.

Reactions: PittPoker
So that leaves Lowe.

Starters
Leggett
Lowe
GDG
Jeffress
Cummings

Bench
JDG
Kante
Fede
Barnes
Austin
AN
Are you assuming Bub is gone? I expect him back at this point.

I don't think keeping him will be easy.

If he's not a lottery pick, I'm sure he's going to have other college programs in his ear both offering $$$, and selling him on the idea that they can do more for his development.

No one knows what he will do. I hope he is back, but wouldn’t blame him for testing NBA draft. I would hope his relationship with Capel and possibility of playing with Cummings is enticing with what NIL can provide here.

If he's not a lottery pick, I'm sure he's going to have other college programs in his ear both offering $$$, and selling him on the idea that they can do more for his development.

If he's not drafting I'd be very surprised if he left Pitt. Nobody can preach development / exposure better than Capel can .. he will put you in a player centric offense and let you showcase what you can do .. and when Hinson is gone, all of the big NIL money will go towards Bub.

If he's not drafting I'd be very surprised if he left Pitt. Nobody can preach development / exposure better than Capel can .. he will put you in a player centric offense and let you showcase what you can do .. and when Hinson is gone, all of the big NIL money will go towards Bub.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it took all of Hinson’s and Fede’s allotments to retain Bub for next year. Which, with Kante coming off the injury and if you move Guillermo to the starting minute role, maybe that’s not a bad trade off.

Reactions: Wanstash21
In this era of college athletics, you just never know.

If Bub does return to college, he will almost certainly have interest from high profile programs that would probably be willing and able to pay as much or more than Pitt, and also offer a better chance at a deep run in March. But perhaps Bub has a comfort level at Pitt with his current staff and teammates. And like you say, he should be well compensated.
Regardless, in this day and age, it's really impossible to make assumptions on the roster from one year to the next, regardless of school.

Capel has known Bub and Jaland's father for decades. Not 1 or 2 years, decades.

And you do realize there was a bevy of high major colleges trying to flip Bub's commitment and steal him from Pitt after the EYBL when he was still in high school, right? And that went on all through his senior year when he was breaking scoring records in high school at major tournament after major tournament. And that's not me saying that or making that up. Bub Carrington Sr. who's is the father of Carlton publicly said it.

The difference is, Little Bub doesn't have a social media on twitter and such and wasnt bragging about schools coming after him and new offers after he committed to Pitt. He was long sealed and coming to Pitt before the EYBL even started when he was in high school because Capel has a very long relationship with his father. That still didn't stop other high majors from trying to buy him when he was in high school.

Capel has known Bub and Jaland's father for decades. Not 1 or 2 years, decades.

And you do realize there was a bevy of high major colleges trying to flip Bub's commitment and steal him from Pitt after the EYBL when he was still in high school, right? And that went on all through his senior year when he was breaking scoring records in high school at major tournament after major tournament. And that's not me saying that or making that up. Bub Carrington Sr. who's is the father of Carlton publicly said it.

The difference is, Little Bub doesn't have a social media on twitter and such and wasnt bragging about schools coming after him and new offers after he committed to Pitt. He was long sealed and coming to Pitt before the EYBL even started when he was in high school because Capel has a very long relationship with his father. That still didn't stop other high majors from trying to buy him when he was in high school.
Like I said, he may be perfectly happy at Pitt.

OTOH, he doesn't owe anyone anything. After a year at Pitt, perhaps he might want to play a year of college ball for a blue blood that has a legit chance at cutting down the nets in March. Who could blame him if he did?

Like I said, he may be perfectly happy at Pitt.

OTOH, he doesn't owe anyone anything. After a year at Pitt, perhaps he might want to play a year of college ball for a blue blood that has a legit chance at cutting down the nets in March. Who could blame him if he did?
The way things are in college sports these days, no one, including Jeff Capel, could blame him unfortunately.

The way things are in college sports these days, no one, including Jeff Capel, could blame him unfortunately.
You ever gonna answer my question or not? For the 3rd time do you think GDG should be the starter over Fede for the near future?

You ever gonna answer my question or not? For the 3rd time do you think GDG should be the starter over Fede for the near future?
I didn’t know you asked it. I don’t think it really matters who starts. It’s who gets the most minutes.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I didn’t know you asked it. I don’t think it really matters who starts. It’s who gets the most minutes.
Here's why I think it matters. Maybe starting GDG for a few games will light a fire under Fede and get him to be more focused and play better. Sometimes that's what it takes.

Reactions: New York Panther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT