ADVERTISEMENT

#Tomlining

Dan1911

Junior
Jan 17, 2016
1. The act of losing or nearly losing a game that is virtually impossible to, due to the other team’s significant inferiority. 2. Playing down to the level of a significantly inferior opponent. 3.Inadequately preparing for an inferior opponent.

He is without a doubt EITHER the worst great coach in football history or the greatest awful coach in football history. He does one or two of these every year.

150-81-2. No playoff wins in a decade…maybe one.

Had Ben, bell, brown, and a hell of a supporting cast and hasn’t done a thing in a very long time.

He also wins a lot of meaningless games when a loss and a higher draft pick would be better. Loses to awful teams that cost them a bye or a home game in the playoffs or a playoff berth outright when the wins really matter .

Remind me who drafted the quarterback who played today. We see these kinds of performances against inferior opponents every year under Mike Tomlin but since you ask I will also clarify;

Rooney, The GM, Tomlin and Roethlisberger are to blame. All of them allowed BR to hold this franchise hostage by letting him dictate when and how he would go out. I could get into it a lot further but quite frankly this isn’t Pitt we’re taking about. I don’t invest nearly as much energy into it.

Reactions: W1np1tt and Dan1911
1. The act of losing or nearly losing a game that is virtually impossible to, due to the other team’s significant inferiority. 2. Playing down to the level of a significantly inferior opponent. 3.Inadequately preparing for an inferior opponent.

He is without a doubt EITHER the worst great coach in football history or the greatest awful coach in football history. He does one or two of these every year.

Baltimore lost to Miami Thur.
Tampa last to wash today.
Arizona is losing to Carolina.

we aren’t that good and our starting qb went out 24 hours before the game.

Tomlin, Franklin and Narduzzi. Just when you positive things, their coaching and teams self destruct. Steelers played not to lose today againstvthe worst team in NFL and succeeded...a tie.

Hopefullt, Duzz can change the narrative and win these next couple games.

Reactions: Dan1911
Oh my. Thinking this is Tomlins fault. Either youre insanely racist, or didnt watch the game. What move did Tomlin make to make you think he cost the victory?

We had a horrible QB that couldnt throw the ball or wouldnt throw the ball more than 5 yards downfield. We had Johnson and that penn state guy fumble, and the same guy drop a pass. Had our best defensive player out, and our QB, 2 top WRs and 2 starting linemen out.
I know this would have been risky and he would have been crucified if it went bad, but how about accepting the last holding penalty?

With Rudolph, a depleted receiving core and weather conditions, the shorter distance to afield goal the better?

I don’t blame Tomlin so much for these clunker games against bad teams. Sometimes these things happen and they always seem to win enough of the others during the regular season.

What I do blame him for is having a HOF QB and one of the best rosters in the league for the past decade and doing basically nothing with them come playoff time. For the Steelers to have only won a couple playoff games over all these years isn’t acceptable considering the talent they’ve had.

150-81-2. No playoff wins in a decade…maybe one.

Had Ben, bell, brown, and a hell of a supporting cast and hasn’t done a thing in a very long time.

He also wins a lot of meaningless games when a loss and a higher draft pick would be better. Loses to awful teams that cost them a bye or a home game in the playoffs or a playoff berth outright when the wins really matter .
He has 3 playoff wins in the past 9 seasons. 5 if you include the prior 10 completed seasons.

He literally wins every year. No losing seasons. He has one of the best coaching records of all-time.

You talk about the Ben, Bell, Brown seasons. Why not mention that he did not have them at the end of multiple seasons during their run together. He did not have Brown in 2015-16 at the end of the year, did not have Bell in 2015-16 at the end of the year, Bell was hurt in 2016-17 in the AFC Championship and out the entire game, Bell did not play in 2018, etc ...

The stuff about Tomlin is just a bunch of foolishness. It is like when Pitt fans ragged on Jamie Dixon while he had the best winning percentage in the history of the Big East Conference in basketball ...

The team wasn’t prepared to play today. That’s on the coach.
I believe they were prepared.

They just aren't talented enough when they are forced to play one of the worst backup QBs in the NFL

Baltimore beat this same Detroit team with a 66 yard walk-off FG.

If Johnson doesn't fumble. The Steelers do the same.

There wasn't a single coaching move in that game by Tomlin that anyone could conceivably disagree with. Canada's play calling? sure. It was mind-boggling at times.

But the Steelers didn't tie because of "lack of preparation".

Rooney, The GM, Tomlin and Roethlisberger are to blame. All of them allowed BR to hold this franchise hostage by letting him dictate when and how he would go out. I could get into it a lot further but quite frankly this isn’t Pitt we’re taking about. I don’t invest nearly as much energy into it.
Add Roger Goodell, Henry Kissinger, and the Queen of England. Have we missed anyone?

Reactions: ThePanthers
150-81-2. Super Bowl winner. I would tend to think he is just a great coach and occasionally loses a rough one.
I guess we will see "how great" he is next year when he doesn't have his Hall of Fame QB and all of the other very talented players he has had during is 150-81-2 Super Bowl winning run.

They just aren't talented enough when they are forced to play one of the worst backup QBs in the NFL

There wasn't a single coaching move in that game by Tomlin that anyone could conceivably disagree with. Canada's play calling? sure. It was mind-boggling at times.

You can’t possibly believe he’s one of the worst BACKUP quarterbacks in the league can you? Go over the rosters and you will see that is ridiculous. When last seen before this rain soaked game the guy was throwing for 315 and 2 TD’s against a Browns team that needed to win to make the playoffs.

Agree that he is not the long term answer as a starter, but he is fine as a backup. The oddsmakers made the difference between him and Roethlisberger as 2 points.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I guess we will see "how great" he is next year when he doesn't have his Hall of Fame QB and all of the other very talented players he has had during is 150-81-2 Super Bowl winning run.
Just like we saw how great Bill Belichick was without Tom Brady? No one is disputing that you need players. But, to deny that the guy has been excellent over time is ridiculous.

He is a top NFL coach and will be in the Hall of Fame based on what he has already done as a head coach. He is not even 50. Pittsburgh is really lucky to have him (and I am sure the organization values his presence more than most unrealistic fans).

Why would he NOT have "all the other talented players" next year?

Reactions: TheChair
Why would he NOT have "all the other talented players" next year?
It is not really clear.

This is a guy that won 8 games with Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges starting most every game. Questioning his ability to coach is ridiculous. Questioning him without Roethlisberger based on that fact above is also ridiculous.

Reactions: indoorgolf
I don’t blame Tomlin so much for these clunker games against bad teams. Sometimes these things happen and they always seem to win enough of the others during the regular season.

What I do blame him for is having a HOF QB and one of the best rosters in the league for the past decade and doing basically nothing with them come playoff time. For the Steelers to have only won a couple playoff games over all these years isn’t acceptable considering the talent they’ve had.
Pretty much where I’m at with Tomlin. It drives me crazy the games we lose to bad teams and bad backup QBs that we shouldn’t. But I’m a Steeler fan so all those are magnified by me. I’m not as keenly aware of the bad losses other good coaches/good teams have.

The ole ‘no losing seasons in umpteen years’ is an accomplishment but it’s not as significant when you consider the expectations and the bar was so much higher than a winning record in so many of those years because of the roster he was working with. Merely a winning record was underachieving in many of those years.

with that said, I’m definitely not looking for him to get canned anytime soon.

With the Tomlin criticism in Pittsburgh a large percentage of it is driven by racial animus. To pretend otherwise is to have your head buried in the sand
Considering most didn’t want him in the first place, blamed race for his hire. and gave Cowher credit for his early success instead of him.

Of course I remember what went on with K Stewart too. Most of these Steeler fans also are Penn State fans, for what it’s worth

The back up QB was fine. He threw for 230 yards with probably the worst WR group in the league. Sure he missed some throws, but there were also drops and combat catches that maybe guys like Claypool or Juju make. Then he’s closer to 300 yards like the last game he played. The fact is that earlier in the year, Washington and McCloud couldn’t see the field and even dress, but now they’re the #2 and #3 receiver on the team. Then Rudolph leads them to potential game winning drives and his receivers fumble the game away. All of this in the rain. He wasn’t the reason they lost. And neither was Tomlin. There were plenty of other reasons.

He's been a mediocre coach from the beginning. He lucked out, getting a job with a great team with great players and made it to the Super Bowl a couple times. I'll say he's clearly in the top half of NFL coaches but now that Cleve and Cincy are starting to crawl out of their idiocy and Ben is going down hill, he's being shown for what he is. Too much hyperbole on both sides of this argument.

The back up QB was fine. He threw for 230 yards with probably the worst WR group in the league. Sure he missed some throws, but there were also drops and combat catches that maybe guys like Claypool or Juju make. Then he’s closer to 300 yards like the last game he played. The fact is that earlier in the year, Washington and McCloud couldn’t see the field and even dress, but now they’re the #2 and #3 receiver on the team. Then Rudolph leads them to potential game winning drives and his receivers fumble the game away. All of this in the rain. He wasn’t the reason they lost. And neither was Tomlin. There were plenty of other reasons.
230 yards on 30+ completions is not "fine". His QB rating today was atrocious. He had an INT and 3 other near INTs. His missed open receivers all day. He continually threw to a covered Washington instead of to open other receivers.

ps. Unrelated... but our rookie center Greene absolutely blows. 5 high snaps and almost cost the game by himself.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yes.

The guy is one of the greatest coaches in NFL history.

You do better. You know, you dont need to be triggered. There are things that are actually racism you know. I clearly pointed out how there is zero way that is Tomlin's fault
Yeah, how a team performers has nothing to do with coaching 😁

Reactions: Dan1911
This “Tomlin Special” BS has been debunked a hundred times over. He has the third highest winning percentage against teams below .500 among all coaches in the NFL over the last decade. There are valid criticisms of his coaching, but he’s not an idiot or a bad coach, as some morons like to say.

It seems to play no factor in your's
Being critical of Tomlin for lack of playoff wins, and games like this are fair. The fact is, I think the two are connected. I feel Tomlin probably has a better playoff record if he had a better playoff seed if not for these kinds of losses.

the guy isn’t off limits.

as far as today, they simply aren’t very good. It’s a credit to him that they were 5-3.

230 yards on 30+ completions is not "fine". His QB rating today was atrocious. He had an INT and 3 other near INTs. His missed open receivers all day. He continually threw to a covered Washington instead of to open other receivers.

ps. Unrelated... but our rookie center Greene absolutely blows. 5 high snaps and almost cost the game by himself.
Yeah. I thought Pouncey was back. That’s another contribution to not winning that I forgot.

He's been a mediocre coach from the beginning. He lucked out, getting a job with a great team with great players and made it to the Super Bowl a couple times. I'll say he's clearly in the top half of NFL coaches but now that Cleve and Cincy are starting to crawl out of their idiocy and Ben is going down hill, he's being shown for what he is. Too much hyperbole on both sides of this argument.
What did Pittsburgh do the year before he was hired?

The latter.

Hilarious that people want to shout “Rooney Rule Hire” then claim “let’s not make this about race”.

Like I said the opposition to K Stewart was even more blatantly racist so this situation with Tomlin wasn’t surprising

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT