ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Current Pittsburgh Pro Athletes

1. Russell Wilson
2. Russell Wilson
3. Russell Wilson
4. Russell Wilson
5. Russell Wilson

If we all say it, then it will have to come true right?

Stillers wouldn't admit that they have no plan for the future and the only 2 QB with 100 combined int/sacks over the last 2 seasons in the NFL are their "solutions" at QB. 🤔

Stillers wouldn't admit that they have no plan for the future and the only 2 QB with 100 combined int/sacks over the last 2 seasons in the NFL are their "solutions" at QB. 🤔

They acquired Justin Fields, so I think it's hard to say they have no plan for the future. Now of course whether that's a good plan or not, whether that's a viable "solution," is debatable.

Reactions: SMF Fidelity
They acquired Justin Fields, so I think it's hard to say they have no plan for the future. Now of course whether that's a good plan or not, whether that's a viable "solution," is debatable.

Other than being awful at quarterbacking... what's not to like? And his contract isn't getting picked up.

1. Skenes and it isn't even close

2. Crosby
3. Maybe Watt he doesn’t sell tickets
4. O'Neil Cruz
5. Bryan Reynolds/Mitch Keller

The stillers are mess. The Pens are treading water at this point.

Not sure what selling tickets has to do with one's athletic performance on the field to begin with, but the Steelers have been sold out for like the last 50 years, so...

And yet they both had more touchdowns last season than Kenny managed in two.

Broken record playing again. They resulted in 100 plus sacks and interceptions each over the last 2 years while not playing for Matt Canada with no talent around them. That's "elite" quarterback results. Lol. Really special stuff that you can't win with.

It's funny to me. Russ was dumped by 2 teams who couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

Reactions: FireballZ
Justin Field only stays if he takes a huge pay cut for his 5th year option and future extensions .
Otherwise both he and Wilson are UFA next year

It would have been smarter to keep Kenny with an extra year of rookie contact rather than trading for fields and moving that 5th year option up a year .

Last edited:
Reactions: Conemaugh
It's funny to me. Russ was dumped by 2 teams who couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

Well, there was the whole winning a Super Bowl and almost winning another thing. And getting a king's ransom for a player, as Seattle did, isn't exactly ushering him to the airport.

... as was done with Kenny Clipboard.

Reactions: Pitt SML

There might not be a 0.0% chance that the Stillers cut Wilson in training camp, but the chance that they do is so close to that that it really isn't worth talking about. If someone seriously thinks that he's one of the most likely veterans to get cut in training camp you're probably best off never paying any attention to them again.

For them to cut him he'd have to both show with his play that he is completely and utterly washed as a player, AND he'd have to become a cancer in the locker room. And as we all know, his leadership abilities are off the charts, so that isn't going to happen.

Broken record playing again. They resulted in 100 plus sacks and interceptions each over the last 2 years while not playing for Matt Canada with no talent around them. That's "elite" quarterback results. Lol. Really special stuff that you can't win with.

It's funny to me that you latch onto one stat because you think proves your point, while obscuring that the vast majority of that stat is being taken up by sacks. Wilson could probably satisfy that statistic every single season of his career, including the one where he finished 3rd in Offensive Player of the Year voting. Or virtually every season he made the Playoffs, or the Pro Bowl, or was regarded among the elite starting QBs. Wilson has taken a ton of sacks in his career because he's careful with the ball and he's been a mobile QB that's asked to run.

You know who would have qualified for your statistic going into 2023? Joe Burrow. Would you take Joe Burrow? Can teams win with Joe Burrow? Some other players that have fit your statistic in the past decade that went on to have some success - Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Carson Palmer, and Aaron Rodgers (including a season he won league MVP).

Here's another stat about Russ from the past season since you like stats so much. Last year Russell Wilson had the 2nd best TD-INT ratio out of the 18 QBs that threw for 20+ TDs.

Now let's look at the offensive line factor that plays a major part in your statistic, well I'm shocked that neither player had an All-Pro line in front of them.

-Denver gave up 40 sacks the season before Russ got there. After Russ got benched the backup got sacked 7 times in 2 games.
-Seattle's line gave up 46 sacks the season after Russ left and 38 last year.
-In Fields first season, Andy Dalton and Nick Foles started 7 games and got sacked 21 times on 271 drop backs which puts them near the top of the list for non-mobile QBs.

There might not be a 0.0% chance that the Stillers cut Wilson in training camp, but the chance that they do is so close to that that it really isn't worth talking about. If someone seriously thinks that he's one of the most likely veterans to get cut in training camp you're probably best off never paying any attention to them again.

For them to cut him he'd have to both show with his play that he is completely and utterly washed as a player, AND he'd have to become a cancer in the locker room. And as we all know, his leadership abilities are off the charts, so that isn't going to happen.
Yeah- he’s essentially free this year .
Now will they actually sign him to an extension ?
That’s also closer to 0% unless he takes the min contract

It's funny to me that you latch onto one stat because you think proves your point, while obscuring that the vast majority of that stat is being taken up by sacks. Wilson could probably satisfy that statistic every single season of his career, including the one where he finished 3rd in Offensive Player of the Year voting. Or virtually every season he made the Playoffs, or the Pro Bowl, or was regarded among the elite starting QBs. Wilson has taken a ton of sacks in his career because he's careful with the ball and he's been a mobile QB that's asked to run.

You know who would have qualified for your statistic going into 2023? Joe Burrow. Would you take Joe Burrow? Can teams win with Joe Burrow? Some other players that have fit your statistic in the past decade that went on to have some success - Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Carson Palmer, and Aaron Rodgers (including a season he won league MVP).

Here's another stat about Russ from the past season since you like stats so much. Last year Russell Wilson had the 2nd best TD-INT ratio out of the 18 QBs that threw for 20+ TDs.

Now let's look at the offensive line factor that plays a major part in your statistic, well I'm shocked that neither player had an All-Pro line in front of them.

-Denver gave up 40 sacks the season before Russ got there. After Russ got benched the backup got sacked 7 times in 2 games.
-Seattle's line gave up 46 sacks the season after Russ left and 38 last year.
-In Fields first season, Andy Dalton and Nick Foles started 7 games and got sacked 21 times on 271 drop backs which puts them near the top of the list for non-mobile QBs.

You ignored this "stat"; 2 teams concluded Wilson was not a winning NFL QB at this point. Fields has never been a winning QB. It's highly unlikely that he will ever be a winning QB.

You ignored this "stat"; 2 teams concluded Wilson was not a winning NFL QB at this point. Fields has never been a winning QB. It's highly unlikely that he will ever be a winning QB.
You're even wrong about that stat.

The first team concluded he wasn't worth a $40+ million cap hit compared to receiving-
2x 1st round picks
2x 2nd round picks
1x 5th round pick
1x former 2nd round QB pick that had a higher QBR and more TDs than Pickett
1x Starting Defensive End
1x Starting TE with 130 receptions over two seasons

The second team decided he wasn't worth the $50million+ cap hit they had initially valued him at. Which I'd completely agree with. But the Steelers also aren't deciding he is worth that as they refused to give him a 2nd season under contract. I wonder if either team would conclude he was worth the veteran minimum which is all the Steelers have invested into him? Would it have been nice if the Steelers' incumbent starter didn't wilt in the face of competition with an aging star, sure, but I still find it hard to understand people thinking the Steelers made a mistake in this signing.

The first team concluded he wasn't worth a $40+ million cap hit compared to receiving-
2x 1st round picks
2x 2nd round picks
1x 5th round pick

The second team decided he wasn't worth the $50million+ cap hit they had initially valued him at. Which I'd completely agree with. But the Steelers also aren't deciding he is worth that as they refused to give him a 2nd season under contract. I wonder if either team would conclude he was worth the veteran minimum which is all the Steelers have invested into him? Would it have been nice if the Steelers' incumbent starter didn't wilt in the face of competition with an aging star, sure, but I still find it hard to understand people thinking the Steelers made a mistake in this signing.

Payton saw enough. He determined dumping him was worth dead cap money.

Reactions: FireballZ

2x 1st round picks
2x 2nd round picks
1x 5th round pick

Let me help you out here -
Signing Wilson was a no brainer .
The only way they could sign Wilson for the min was to promise to get rid of an actual competition to him- Kenny .
This was the simple calculus .

They then used that third round pick to sign Fields/Trubisky 2 for an 1 year deal with zero plan to pick up his 5th year option/
So in 2025 there is zero qb signed for the stillers

Reactions: joeydavid
Let me help you out here -
Signing Wilson was a no brainer .
The only way they could sign Wilson for the min was to promise to get rid of an actual competition to him- Kenny .
This was the simple calculus .

They then used that third round pick to sign Fields/Trubisky 2 for an 1 year deal with zero plan to pick up his 5th year option/
So in 2025 there is zero qb signed for the stillers

They are going on a decade of no long term plan for success. It's just more of the same from the stillers.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Beat it. Take your fellow NitWit, CircleJerkEnablers with you.
3e37nd.jpg

That's the opposite of a plan.

Whaley wouldn't have even drafted Pickett, instead was interested in CB Trent McDuffie. It was one of the reasons I didn't want him as GM (not because of the evaluation, but you probably need the GM to believe in the QB). It's been said over and over how poorly the Steelers surrounded Pickett in terms of an OC and a lack of an OL with a running game. While the Pirates have done well with Skenes, you cannot even compare the two as prospects. Pickett was a first-rounder in a weak QB class, arguably overdrafted with some scouts/analysts believing he was fifth-round talent. Skenes was the best pitching prospect since Strasburg. If the Steelers drafted Andrew Luck and botched his development, I could get this comparison. It just doesn't work for these two.

It's a strange problem because Wilson won't take being benched very well but they need some snaps to get a read on Fields. Could really be in a pickle if it goes sideways but it most likely will end with a very average record, again, and no definitive path forward.

Reactions: joeydavid
It's a strange problem because Wilson won't take being benched very well but they need some snaps to get a read on Fields. Could really be in a pickle if it goes sideways but it most likely will end with a very average record, again, and no definitive path forward.

Yeah, but that's not going to play out in training camp. They're both going to play in the exhibition games. Unless Wilson completely falls apart (and obviously he stays healthy) he's going to start game one. He would have to be Jurkovec-like in the preseason for them to even consider not starting him in game one. And even then they might still start him, just like we did with Jurkovec.

Reactions: pittdan77
Watt was 2nd in DPOY voting this past season, wasn't he? Skenes, while fantastic, isn't the 2nd best pitcher in baseball. At least not yet.

Skenes will pass him soon, but I don't think he has yet.
Wait ? What? Skenes is probably the best pitcher in baseball right now. That opinion is shared by many in the baseball world

Wait ? What? Skenes is probably the best pitcher in baseball right now. That opinion is shared by many in the baseball world

Dude had like 8 starts in at the time of that post. He may end up being the best pitcher in baseball, but he simply hasn't done it long enough right now. I'm shocked "the baseball world" would make overreactionary declarations, though. That's not like the media.

Yeah, but that's not going to play out in training camp. They're both going to play in the exhibition games. Unless Wilson completely falls apart (and obviously he stays healthy) he's going to start game one. He would have to be Jurkovec-like in the preseason for them to even consider not starting him in game one. And even then they might still start him, just like we did with Jurkovec.
Personally, I think Wilson will get hurt at some point. That OL is will just get younger as the new guys move in and it will be interesting to see if they can close to establishing a running game. But time will tell. As sick as it sounds, that would almost be the best scenario because they could evaluate Fields in that offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT