ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 favorite bands of all time

CaptainMurphy

Assistant Coach
Dec 10, 2004
This is your personal favorite five in the rock/pop category. No geographical limits. My five in order.

1. Pink Floyd
2. The Beatles
3. R.E.M.
4. Yes
5. Neil Young & Crazy Horse

In no particular order:

*The Beach Boys (but only with Brian Wilson)
*The Eagles
*The Beatles
*Deep Purple
*Chicago
*Huey Lewis & The News
*The James Gang (unfortunately short-lived)
*The Rascals
*Santana

Special Mention:
*The Temptations (R&B)
*Kool & The Gang (R&B)
*Earth, Wind, & Fire (R&B)
*Bob Marley & The Wailers (Reggae)
*The Zac Brown Band (Country/Coastal/TropRock)

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
This is your personal favorite five in the rock/pop category. No geographical limits. My five in order.

1. Pink Floyd
2. The Beatles
3. R.E.M.
4. Yes
Bell Biv Devoe.

Lol. That was my number 6.
I think you and I have similar music tastes. I absolutely love Joy Division, New Order and even Electronic (remember them???). But I went through a phase where I also enjoyed acts like Bell Biv Devoe and Guy. Van Halen was a big part of my life as well as many of the hair bands of the 80’s. But for me, any real list has to include REM, New Order, The Smiths and the Cure.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen

1. Pink Floyd
2. The Beatles
3. R.E.M.
4. Yes

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
(these two are required on each and every list)

The next one I'd have on the list is Bob Dylan, but I don't know if you are counting individual artists.

If it's just bands, I'd go with:

3. The Beach Boys
4. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
5. U2

In some order...

1: Zeppelin
2: DMB
3/4: Phish
3/4: Tool

Thinking of #5 is really hard. Does Van Morrison count?

I think you and I have similar music tastes. I absolutely love Joy Division, New Order and even Electronic (remember them???). But I went through a phase where I also enjoyed acts like Bell Biv Devoe and Guy. Van Halen was a big part of my life as well as many of the hair bands of the 80’s. But for me, any real list has to include REM, New Order, The Smiths and the Cure.

I forgot New Order. And I love Electronic. Their debut album is one of my favorite.

I think New Order replaces Neil Young for me.

I forgot New Order. And I love Electronic. Their debut album is one of my favorite.
Electronic? That album was unreal. In college I wore that thing out. I have memories of listening to that and playing tecmo bowl on Nintendo every day. How could a band formed by Johnny Marr (the smiths) and Bernard Sumner (New Order) not be great? To this day a lot of people are still not aware of their collaboration.

Electronic? That album was unreal. In college I wore that thing out. I have memories of listening to that and playing tecmo bowl on Nintendo every day. How could a band formed by Johnny Marr (the smiths) and Bernard Sumner (New Order) not be great? To this day a lot of people are still not aware of their collaboration.

I thought their subsequent stuff wasn't as great but they certainly caught lightning in a bottle with that one. No filler on that album for sure.

Electronic and New Order's Technique are the best of that era for me.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I thought their subsequent stuff wasn't as great but they certainly caught lightning in a bottle with that one. No filler on that album for sure.

Electronic and New Order's Technique are the best of that era for me.
I couldn’t agree more. Both albums are great from start to finish.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Finally, a thread to redeem myself after that last one

1. Milli Vanilli
2. Back Street Boys
3. Warrant
4. Vanilla Ice
5. Slayer

Others:
Rush
Pink Floyd
Led Zep
Deftones
The Crystal Method

I know the last 2 would not be considered as best ever by most in the world.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
People should just name polls like this as "favorite 5 bands" There isnt any way to call it anything other than that. I mean I happen to think bands like Kiss and Nirvana are grossly overrated. Floyd, Dave Matthews----Zzzz. Having said that MY Favorite 5...Because they had the most influence on me as a musician

Led Zeppelin
Body Count
Megadeth
James Brown
Rage Against the Machine

Reactions: Ski11585
People should just name polls like this as "favorite 5 bands" There isnt any way to call it anything other than that. I mean I happen to think bands like Kiss and Nirvana are grossly overrated. Floyd, Dave Matthews----Zzzz. Having said that MY Favorite 5...Because they had the most influence on me as a musician

Led Zeppelin
Body Count
Megadeth
James Brown
Rage Against the Machine

Exactly. It's all subjective. There is really no best list, it's all just favorite.

1. The Who
2. The Beatles
3. Billy Joel
4. Bob Seger
5. Johnny Cash

Also: Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, Police, BOC, Eagles, Animals, ACDC, among others

Regional: Donnie Iris, Michael Stanley Band

Last edited:
Exactly. It's all subjective. There is really no best list, it's all just favorite.
The title of your thread is “favorite” and the title of my thread was “greatest”. I thought people could make that distinction. Apparently not.

nothing against you or this thread. It’s a fun thread at a time when we need a fun distraction. But I really don’t care much about some guys top 5 favorites who I don’t even know...but I do find it interesting that you and a couple others who I seem to interact with more often share the same musical tastes (although with you we disagree on Yes).

my thread asked to put opinion aside and consider key measurements in determining who the greatest American band of all time was. It was going good until people started naming jam bands or death metal bands that probably never had a platinum record. I suspect that’s why you started this thread, although people still can’t grasp it.

Lets not forget. Queen, reo speedwagon, deep purple, the who, jethro tull, yes, Styx, marshal tucker, Chicago, moody blues, Steve Miller band, grand funk railroad, little river band, j geils band, fog hat, wet willie, bad finger, guess who, to name a few

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
The title of your thread is “favorite” and the title of my thread was “greatest”. I thought people could make that distinction. Apparently not.
"Greatest" is as subjective as "favorite" To me The Who is GREATEST by far over everyone, Led Zep is not very high on MY list.

"Greatest" is as subjective as "favorite" To me The Who is GREATEST by far over everyone, Led Zep is not very high on MY list.
There is a degree of subjectivity for sure, as one would value record sales more than another criteria like musicianship. It’s why I said in my OP that I’d like to put REM in there personally, but I know they don’t belong. I would never have Aerosmith #1, but can understand the rationale for putting them there.
Mainly though, doing the exercise for American rock bands makes it challenging because there really weren’t that many!

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
(these two are required on each and every list)

The next one I'd have on the list is Bob Dylan, but I don't know if you are counting individual artists.

If it's just bands, I'd go with:

3. The Beach Boys
4. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
5. U2

DT...Nice call with "The Boss"

Its dumb. I mean you mention platinum albums as a barometer. Ok cool then why not call it most successful bands and list most records sold??? Or maybe since the Stones are more popular than band X it means theyre better? Oi vey

nothing against you or this thread. It’s a fun thread at a time when we need a fun distraction. But I really don’t care much about some guys top 5 favorites who I don’t even know...but I do find it interesting that you and a couple others who I seem to interact with more often share the same musical tastes (although with you we disagree on Yes).

my thread asked to put opinion aside and consider key measurements in determining who the greatest American band of all time was. It was going good until people started naming jam bands or death metal bands that probably never had a platinum record. I suspect that’s why you started this thread, although people still can’t grasp it.

Its dumb. I mean you mention platinum albums as a barometer. Ok cool then why not call it most successful bands and list most records sold??? Or maybe since the Stones are more popular than band X it means theyre better? Oi vey
Because as an example, when someone has a discussion about greatest QB of all time, guys like Tom Brady are brought up, not some schmuck who had a couple good games or you liked for his throwing style. This isn’t hard.

You funny. Im saying, the debate isnt even about the bands. Its about the criteria you are judging them by at that point. Ive been a professional musician for almost 35 years. You mention "one would value record sales over musicianship" lol why? How is talent dismissed in an argument of BEST. Seems stupid to me. Obviously talent is like a "throwing motion" to you so dont appreciate it as much maybe? I got you.

Rehashing the boring and old is unfortunately what we've been reduced to in these times of the 2020 plague

Last edited:
DT...Nice call with "The Boss"
Springsteen is usually considered in the singer/songwriter category, same as Dylan. But since he has essentially fronted the E Street Band for forty-seven years, both recording and performing, they would seem to qualify as a band in this discussion. His other records could be categorized as side-projects.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT