ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 favorite bands of all time

You funny. Im saying, the debate isnt even about the bands. Its about the criteria you are judging them by at that point. Ive been a professional musician for almost 35 years. You mention "one would value record sales over musicianship" lol why? How is talent dismissed in an argument of BEST. Seems stupid to me.
I apologize. You misunderstood me because I likely wasnt clear. One would value record sales over musicianship, while another would value musicianship over record sales.

but what I’m saying is if you throw that criteria along with other criteria together in a blender, you should get roughly the same bands in and around a top 5 greatest of all time. One person may have Aerosmith #1 and another may have the Eagles, and that’s dependent on how they subjectivity weigh different criteria. But it’s difficult to deny both bands are right there at the top, I do and I wouldn’t consider myself a fan if either.

Hey I like Chickenfoot! There are 4 HOF level musicians in that band. And they’ve influenced a lot of people. But most here have probably not even heard of them. They don’t belong anywhere near a top 5, but they’re great.

I have to split it up.
Rock:
Stones
Zeppelin
Beatles
The Clash
Bowie

Soul/Funk/R&B
Funkadelic (Funkadelic, not Parliament. 1970-76 in particular. I really could have put them in the rock list instead. For what it's worth, I do like Parliament, just not as much.)
Earth Wind and Fire (again, early to mid 70s)
James Brown (up to 1974)
Stevie Wonder
Chic (yeah, it's disco, but it's disco at it's highest point)

Stuff my dad liked (yeah, I like most of it too. Dad had good taste.)
Duke Ellington
Sinatra
Tony Bennett
Horace Silver Quintet
Ray Charles

This is your personal favorite five in the rock/pop category. No geographical limits. My five in order.

1. Pink Floyd
2. The Beatles
3. R.E.M.
4. Yes
5. Neil Young & Crazy Horse

I just realized that this category is five FAVORITE bands of all time. I thought it was best bands of all time.

Back in the summer, I posted this in a thread there ... here's what I said then ...

#1 -- R.E.M. – Since 1986, they’ve been my favorite. I’ve seen them 10 times in 8 different venues including Red Rocks in Colorado. And they ended their career perfectly. Three things we have in common? 1. We are young despite the years. 2. We are concern. 3. We are hope despite the times.

The rest of the Top 10 … (not necessarily in any order)

Johnny Marr – I’m cheating a little with this selection, but he’s my single favorite artist, taking his work across so many different bands including Electronic, 7 Worlds Collide, The Cribs, The The, The Healers and even Modest Mouse. Most notably, his work with the Smiths was perfect, and turned the blow-hard Morrissey into a genius.
Radiohead – I was going to take my Son to this show last year for his first official concert. I should have. Sorry I didn’t. Thom Yorke may end up in the conversation of the top 20 or so artists ever.
Elvis Costello – My favorite songwriter. Ever.
Nirvana – I still feel a little sad every time I hear Kurt’s voice.
The Replacements – I saw the Replacements twice, including once at Graffiti standing on the floor about 10 feet from Paul Westerberg. During both shows they seemed relatively sober. Bummer.
The Pixies – Never saw the Pixies. Bummer.
The Pretenders – Chrissy Hynde is my favorite female performer ever. This includes when she rocked out when she was young, then after when she had a kid, turned 33 and became more of a smooth crooner ... Baby!
The Shins – My favorite “Indie Rock” band ever. Period.
New Order – Their catalog of wonderful singles is completely and incredibly undeniable.

If I had to pick a top 5, it would probably be R.E.M., New Order, Johnny Marr, Radiohead and Nirvana. But any of the other 5 could fall in there depending upon my mood at the time.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Some of my favorites: (Couldn't list just 5).

Beatles
Zeppelin
Alice Cooper
Uriah Heep
David Bowie
Metallica
Bon Jovi
AC/DC

The title of your thread is “favorite” and the title of my thread was “greatest”. I thought people could make that distinction. Apparently not.

nothing against you or this thread. It’s a fun thread at a time when we need a fun distraction. But I really don’t care much about some guys top 5 favorites who I don’t even know...but I do find it interesting that you and a couple others who I seem to interact with more often share the same musical tastes (although with you we disagree on Yes).

my thread asked to put opinion aside and consider key measurements in determining who the greatest American band of all time was. It was going good until people started naming jam bands or death metal bands that probably never had a platinum record. I suspect that’s why you started this thread, although people still can’t grasp it.

What's wrong with jam bands? If we're talking about a combination of musical talent and commercial success, why no love for Dave Matthews Band. Their first 7 albums all went multi platinum.

What's wrong with jam bands? If we're talking about a combination of musical talent and commercial success, why no love for Dave Matthews Band. Their first 7 albums all went multi platinum.
I’m sure a case could be made for DMB. But if someone turned around and wanted to include Rusted Root in the discussion...well that’s not quite what we’re looking for.
Btw, when I was in school, that was the argument at the parties...who’s better-DMB or Rusted Root? Being provincial pittsburgers, we all liked rusted root. Out of staters all favored DMB.

Reactions: Ski11585
I’m sure a case could be made for DMB. But if someone turned around and wanted to include Rusted Root in the discussion...well that’s not quite what we’re looking for.
Btw, when I was in school, that was the argument at the parties...who’s better-DMB or Rusted Root? Being provincial pittsburgers, we all liked rusted root. Out of staters all favored DMB.
Rusted root is essentially a dmb cover band

blues traveler should get some love

Rusted root is essentially a dmb cover band

blues traveler should get some love
Off topic, my favorite dave Matthews project was His role in the adam Sandler movie “just go with it”. Sandler movies aren’t popular with everyone, but I really thought that one was laugh out loud funny and underrated.

Rusted root is essentially a dmb cover
Is this your opinion or one that’s shared by others? I’ve never heard that and can’t agree. Rusted root was actually founded before DMB and drew their influences from Peter Gabriel. If there are similarities, it’s coincidental. I know Dave Matthews was born in Africa, so he has some influence there from that continent. And rusted Root also has African and Caribbean flavor to their music.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
Bruce and The E-Street Band
Ozzy w/Randy Rhoads
Prince and the Revolution
Allman Brother's Band
Nevermore

Is this your opinion or one that’s shared by others? I’ve never heard that and can’t agree. Rusted root was actually founded before DMB and drew their influences from Peter Gabriel. If there are similarities, it’s coincidental. I know Dave Matthews was born in Africa, so he has some influence there from that continent. And rusted Root also has African and Caribbean flavor to their music.

That's actually a good point. Does DMB count as American if Dave was born in South Africa? The rest of the band is all American IIRC.

That's actually a good point. Does DMB count as American if Dave was born in South Africa? The rest of the band is all American IIRC.
He’s African American so it counts! I remember students from Virginia loved them and were fans before others jumped on the DMB bandwagon. The band is American and formed in Charlottesville. We of course liked RR better. Turns out they were right.

He’s African American so it counts! I remember students from Virginia loved them and were fans before others jumped on the DMB bandwagon. The band is American and formed in Charlottesville. We of course liked RR better. Turns out they were right.

I know DMB gets a lot of hate, but they were the first concert I ever went to. They played at the AJ Palumbo center in... 94 or 95? My brother is considerably older than me and just started college when they started to get popular outside of Virginia. Remember Two Things was one of the first albums I bought. I went through a hipster phase in high school where I refused to listen to them because they were the trendy band to listen to and I thought it was BS since I had been a fan since the start!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I know DMB gets a lot of hate, but they were the first concert I ever went to. They played at the AJ Palumbo center in... 94 or 95? My brother is considerably older than me and just started college when they started to get popular outside of Virginia. Remember Two Things was one of the first albums I bought. I went through a hipster phase in high school where I refused to listen to them because they were the trendy band to listen to and I thought it was BS since I had been a fan since the start!
To your original point, I think they achieved a significant amount of commercial and mainstream success to be considered in a greatest of all time discussion. But personally I see the granddaddy of all jam bands, Grateful Dead, differently. I’m a fan of the dead but to include them in a top 5 would be wrong as their mainstream appeal was never there to the level of so many others. But if we are talking about a top 20, then maybe yes. Phish no.

I lived in Charlottesville in '95 - '96 and the locals were more than happy to tell me that he started in Charlottesville.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm circling back around and see a few others mentioned Yes. They were a band I admired but couldn't really get into until I listened to them on some high end headphones. There is so much going on, they really threw the kitchen sink into production (which is amazing given this is the era of tape splicing, etc...).

My favorite Yes song is "Going For The One". It got me hooked into just how good those guys were. It's too bad they started fracturing in the later 70s and have had about 50 different lineups since then.

I just realized that this category is five FAVORITE bands of all time. I thought it was best bands of all time.

Back in the summer, I posted this in a thread there ... here's what I said then ...

#1 -- R.E.M. – Since 1986, they’ve been my favorite. I’ve seen them 10 times in 8 different venues including Red Rocks in Colorado. And they ended their career perfectly. Three things we have in common? 1. We are young despite the years. 2. We are concern. 3. We are hope despite the times.

Johnny Marr – I’m cheating a little with this selection, but he’s my single favorite artist, taking his work across so many different bands including Electronic, 7 Worlds Collide, The Cribs, The The, The Healers and even Modest Mouse. Most notably, his work with the Smiths was perfect, and turned the blow-hard Morrissey into a genius.
Radiohead – I was going to take my Son to this show last year for his first official concert. I should have. Sorry I didn’t. Thom Yorke may end up in the conversation of the top 20 or so artists ever.
The Replacements – I saw the Replacements twice, including once at Graffiti standing on the floor about 10 feet from Paul Westerberg. During both shows they seemed relatively sober. Bummer.
The Pretenders – Chrissy Hynde is my favorite female performer ever. This includes when she rocked out when she was young, then after when she had a kid, turned 33 and became more of a smooth crooner ... Baby!
New Order – Their catalog of wonderful singles is completely and incredibly undeniable.

If I had to pick a top 5, it would probably be R.E.M., New Order, Johnny Marr, Radiohead and Nirvana. But any of the other 5 could fall in there depending upon my mood at the time.

To fair I changed the title after I posted to clarify. Yes, I meant favorite, not necessarily best. I like seeing different musical tastes.

And your list is great. My favorites don't venture much past 1990 and I'm on the younger side (40) but we definitely have a lot of overlap.

"Greatest" is as subjective as "favorite" To me The Who is GREATEST by far over everyone, Led Zep is not very high on MY list.

Thinking “Gifted” or “Talented” seems less subjective than “Greatest”

“Talented” forces us all to think not only about the sound of the band’s song, but how wonderfully creative and captivating they are throughout that entire song.

Some bands have songs with a good chorus, but then are overly simplistic and repetitive or boring and lazy for much of the song.

Really talented bands pay attention to every element of the song and make sure the introduction and prechorus and chorus and bridge and the instrumental solos and every part is taking the listener on a nonstop, uniquely fantastic, musical journey.

I think The Who would certainly fall into the “really talented” or “gifted” rock band category.

I absolutely love Joy Division, New Order and even Electronic ... But for me, any real list has to include REM, New Order, The Smiths and the Cure.

The Smiths and R.E.M. are in my top 5.

New Order and the Cure would be in my top 10.

Joy Division and Electronic are up there for me too.

Really great music!

great post!

Many of your bands fall into my top 5 and 10.

I found it funny that you singled out Johnny Marr in a “favorite bands” list instead of just mentioning The Smiths. Marr is an incredible talent. I get how you and many others are turned off by Morrissey’s big ego, but The Smiths were simply brilliant and my favorite band of all time because of the their collaborative songwriting and the absolute magic produced when Morrissey’s voice and Marr’s guitar playing came together.

The Smiths and R.E.M. are in my top 5.

New Order and the Cure would be in my top 10.

Joy Division and Electronic are up there for me too.

Really great music!
It still blows my mind that the Cure had to wait that long for RRHOF and that Joy Division/New Order is not in there....yet, Green Day is.

great post!

Many of your bands fall into my top 5 and 10.

I found it funny that you singled out Johnny Marr in a “favorite bands” list instead of just mentioning The Smiths. Marr is an incredible talent. I get how you and many others are turned off by Morrissey’s big ego, but The Smiths were simply brilliant and my favorite band of all time because of the their collaborative songwriting and the absolute magic produced when Morrissey’s voice and Marr’s guitar playing came together.
I agree that the Smiths work together extremely well and they are a legendary band in their own right. But I think Morrissey solo has proven to be, on the whole, a bit boring.

But think of this ... it’s only because of Marr’s tremolo crazy groove that a line such as “I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is criminally vulgar” not only can survive, but live in the glory that it became. Without Marr, that’s ridiculous pretentious nonsense.

And it’s only because of perhaps the most melancholically beautiful guitar line ever written that “some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers” becomes a perfectly catchy singalong.

I agree that the Smiths work together extremely well and they are a legendary band in their own right. But I think Morrissey solo has proven to be, on the whole, a bit boring.

But think of this ... it’s only because of Marr’s tremolo crazy groove that a line such as “I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is criminally vulgar” not only can survive, but live in the glory that it became. Without Marr, that’s ridiculous pretentious nonsense.

And it’s only because of perhaps the most melancholically beautiful guitar line ever written that “some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers” becomes a perfectly catchy singalong.

I agree with all of your points. Marr is obscenely talented. Wonderfully original. “Shoplifters of the World Unite” and “How Soon is Now” and “Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me” and we could go on and on about the musical magic that Marr has created.

Without Marr’s guitar, Morrissey’s tone becomes much more predictable. Much more expected. Much less interesting.

Still, I’d ask you to think about this... Which of the bands that Marr was a part of was the best? Which band had the most songs that you can’t get out of your head. There is no question- it has to be The Smiths.

You may say that is because it was a time when Marr found his groove and invented that marvelously original sound we’ve all come to lo e and appreciate. You’d be partly right. It’s also Morrissey’s lyrics and more importantly it’s that unusual voice that meshes so well with the way that Marr plays. You said it well in your original post above that Marr “turned the blow hard Morrissey into a genius” Could he have done that if Morrissey didn’t have that unusual sounding voice or if Morrissey didn’t write such bizarre lyrics that matched his voice.

To put it another way. Marr is like an amazing cake. Now that cake is good enough that it doesn’t need icing and it would still be be pretty darn good with mediocre icing on it, but add icing that exquisitely compliments the cake and it will be one of the best damn things you’ve ever tasted. Morrissey is the perfect, most exquisite icing for Marr’s sublime cake.

Last edited:
I agree with all of your points. Marr is obscenely talented. Wonderfully original. “Shoplifters of the World Unite” and “How Soon is Now” and “Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me” and we could go on and on about the musical magic that Marr has created.

Without Marr’s guitar, Morrissey’s tone becomes much more predictable. Much more expected. Much less interesting.

Still, I’d ask you to think about this... Which of the bands that Marr was a part of was the best? Which band had the most songs that you can’t get out of your head. There is no question- it has to be The Smiths.

You may say that is because it was a time when Marr found his groove and invented that marvelously original sound we’ve all come to lo e and appreciate. You’d be partly right. It’s also Morrissey’s lyrics and more importantly it’s that unusual voice that meshes so well with the way that Marr plays. You said it well in your original post above that Marr “turned the blow hard Morrissey into a genius” Could he have done that if Morrissey didn’t have that unusual sounding voice or if Morrissey didn’t write such bizarre lyrics that matched his voice.

To put it another way. Marr is like an amazing cake. Now that cake is good enough that it doesn’t need icing and it would still be be pretty darn good with mediocre icing on it, but add icing that exquisitely compliments the cake and it will be one of the best damn things you’ve ever tasted. Morrissey is the perfect, most exquisite icing for Marr’s sublime cake.

You asked a couple things ... which band had the most songs that you can't get out of your head? My answers are the ones where Marr was a part of it.

A good example is the Cribs. Marr only did one album with them but "We Share the Same Skies" is one of my most favorite songs and Marr is the reason why. His influence is obvious on that song. Without him, the Cribs are ... well meh.

I find Modest Mouse to be hit or miss but I like Ship Even Sank the best (although this is not considered MM's best album).

Nonethless, I don't disagree at all with your notion. The combination of Morrisey and Marr are a far greater combination than any of the combos that Marr was a part of.

Here's my top 20 "Johnny Marr" songs ...

1. Some Girls are Bigger Than Others
2. Down on the Corner (The Healers, 7 Worlds Collide)
3. Get the Message (Electronic)
4. The Headmaster Ritual
5. We Share the Same Skies (The Cribs)
6. Bangin On (Healers)
7. Vivid (Electronic)
8. Dashboard (MM)
9. Learn to Crawl (7 Worlds Collide)
10. New Town Velocity (Solo)
11. How Soon Is Now?
12. Bigmouth Strikes Again
13. Sexuality (Billy Bragg)
14. Disappointed (Electronic)
15. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
16. Walking Down Madison (Kristy MacColl)
17. Windows of the World (The Pretenders)
18. Dogs of Lust (The The)
19. Easy Money (Solo)
20. Florida (MM)

Dave, I totally agree with this. the Smiths with Morrissey/Marr were really good together. However, I find Morrissey's solo work boring and Marr with his post Smiths work, especially Electronic and Modest Mouse to be really good.

You asked a couple things ... which band had the most songs that you can't get out of your head? My answers are the ones where Marr was a part of it.

A good example is the Cribs. Marr only did one album with them but "We Share the Same Skies" is one of my most favorite songs and Marr is the reason why. His influence is obvious on that song. Without him, the Cribs are ... well meh.

I find Modest Mouse to be hit or miss but I like Ship Even Sank the best (although this is not considered MM's best album).

Nonethless, I don't disagree at all with your notion. The combination of Morrisey and Marr are a far greater combination than any of the combos that Marr was a part of.

Here's my top 20 "Johnny Marr" songs ...

1. Some Girls are Bigger Than Others
2. Down on the Corner (The Healers, 7 Worlds Collide)
3. Get the Message (Electronic)
4. The Headmaster Ritual
5. We Share the Same Skies (The Cribs)
6. Bangin On (Healers)
7. Vivid (Electronic)
8. Dashboard (MM)
9. Learn to Crawl (7 Worlds Collide)
10. New Town Velocity (Solo)
11. How Soon Is Now?
12. Bigmouth Strikes Again
13. Sexuality (Billy Bragg)
14. Disappointed (Electronic)
15. There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
16. Walking Down Madison (Kristy MacColl)
17. Windows of the World (The Pretenders)
18. Dogs of Lust (The The)
19. Easy Money (Solo)
20. Florida (MM)

To better clarify, I meant which band that Marr was a part of was the best or had the most songs you couldn’t get out of your head.

The point being (and you got it anyway) that more of your favorite songs were from The Smiths than any other of his bands. It’s not to say he didn’t continue to make good music with his other bands- your list includes good songs from some of his other bands- but the stuff he did with the Smiths... What he came up with at that time together with Morrissey... how those two took their instruments (Marr’s guitar and Morrissey’s voice) and just got out there and created such a wonderfully original sound and so many good songs, it’s just incredible and that was never close to being matched with Marr’s other bands (and obviously not matched with anything Morrissey did since).

Even if you just single out what Marr did while at The Smith’s, it’s so far superior - so much more original than most of what he did afterwards.

I would put at least 15 songs by The Smiths ahead of just about any song either JM or M made since. Heck

Take a listen to any of these below and hear how less safe Marr is. So unexpected. Nothing sounds like anything you’ve heard before. Nothing gets repetitive and boring. Goodness, even just some of his intros here.

Note: This is not necessary my order of favorites.

How Soon Is Now
There is a Light that never goes out
The Headmaster’s Ritual
Please Please Please Let me Get what I Want
Big Mouth Strikes Again
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before
Panic
Asleep
Half a Person
Girlfriend in a Coma
Shoplifters Of The World Take Over
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Ask
I know it’s over
Unhappy Birthday
I Won’t Share You
Heaven knows I’m miserable now
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Hand in glove
Death Of A Disco Dancer (Intro)
Sheila Take a Bow
A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours
This Charming Man
I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish
That Joke isn’t funny anymore
What Difference does it make
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
William it was really nothing
Barbarism Begins at Home
Never Had No one Ever
Oscillating Wildly
Unlovable (a bit of a Billy Bragg sound)
Is it really so strange
Rubber Ring
These Things Take Time
Paint a Vulgar Picture
You Just Haven’t Earned it Yet Baby
Nowhere Fast
Frankly Mr. Shankly
Cemetery Gate
Death At One’ Elbow
What She Said
I Want The One Thing I Can’t Have
London