ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament expansion

Those aren’t even in the top 100 most memorable college games. They’re a sideshow for four days and then everyone forgets about them and wants to watch good basketball.

UMBC and FDU will be talked about 100 years from now. Nobody is going to talk about the great TCU/Gonzaga game.

Reactions: Pitt79
UMBC and FDU will be talked about 100 years from now. Nobody is going to talk about the great TCU/Gonzaga game.
people will be talking about fdu in 100 years.

you guys got to quit doing drugs man, seriously. this doesnt even make sense. just stop it already. no one cares about FDU, even their coach left already..

Yeah. UMBC winning was totally more memorable than like... the Duke-UCONN final four game in 2004 that involved like 8 NBA players.

no one is talking about farleigh dickinson except for the tweet that they have a grade school gym that went viral yesterday.

once the sweet 16 and elite 8 games start happening, these annual cinderella feel-good stories go away and good basketball take over..

i do find it funny that the second one of these cinderella teams wins a game, the HC immediately uses this one win to take a higher level job. FDU's coach will be gone before the weekend, guaranteed.
So FDU didn't use "good basketball" to beat one of the top 4 teams in the country? Those upset games are some of the best basketball, and highly entertaining.

Exactly, it's not blue bloods meeting in the finals like UNC/Kansas that are remembered, it's the games like UMBC and FDU that make the tournament so popular.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski11585
Yeah. UMBC winning was totally more memorable than like... the Duke-UCONN final four game in 2004 that involved like 8 NBA players.
It was, nobody remembers that game you are talking about. Anyone you ask remembers UMBC beating Virginia, Even the most casual fans.

It was, nobody remembers that game you are talking about. Anyone you ask remembers UMBC beating Virginia, Even the most casual fans.
wait, no one remembers the duke - uconn game but they remember umbc beating virginia?

i cant even tell if you guys are kidding or not..

wait, no one remembers the duke - uconn game but they remember umbc beating virginia?

i cant even tell if you guys are kidding or not..
You're insane if you think more people remember that game back then, than the UMBC/VA game. I honestly don't remember anything at all about the Duke/UCONN game from '04, who won?

Name one person on that UMBC team without googling.

This thread is comical.
90% of casual college hoops fans couldnt even tell you what UMBC stands for without looking it up.. and what's funny, they lost the next game against KSU (I looked it up).

I mean, if you are going to at least push the "david over goliath" cinderella story, then bring up Loyola Ill that year making the final four, not some dumb opening round game where they lost 48 hours later and didnt even get out of the rd of 32..

Reactions: Ski11585

More people will remember UMBC than a random Duke/UConn game, absolutely. Top of my head, I cant even remember which generation of players were in that Duke/UConn game.

Name one person on that UMBC team without googling.

This thread is comical.
I don't remember any of them, they had a short Puerto Rican G who wore #11. I also can't name a single player for Duke or UCONN in 2004, maybe Ameka Okafor? But that would only be because they played Pitt and I watched those games, don't remember anyone else? The UMBC game being memorable has nothing to do with who the players where, I couldn't name a single Virginia player from that year either.

More people will remember UMBC than a random Duke/UConn game, absolutely. Top of my head, I cant even remember which generation of players were in that Duke/UConn game.
And that’s why college basketball sucks.

Stop celebrating bad basketball.

A Duke/UCONN game is just another SAME OLD/SAME OLD, something like Alabama/tOSU in football, something that happened a lot so nobody remembers, the UMBC/VA is one of a kind, easy to remember, not only was it the first 16-seed to win a game, they won buy 20, without Googling, I think the score was 74-54, and I couldn't tell you who won the tournament that year.

Actually that's what makes it interesting, BORING is like college football, when it's the SAME OLD/SAME OLD over and over and over and over and over, to the end of time....

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Who won that awesome Duke/UCONN game in 2004? I seriously have no idea?

90% of casual college hoops fans couldnt even tell you what UMBC stands for without looking it up.. and what's funny, they lost the next game against KSU (I looked it up).

I mean, if you are going to at least push the "david over goliath" cinderella story, then bring up Loyola Ill that year making the final four, not some dumb opening round game where they lost 48 hours later and didnt even get out of the rd of 32..
There’s something I find interesting and entertaining about ski and Zelda joining together as strange bedfellows vs Pitt79.

Reactions: pittbb80
There’s something I find interesting and entertaining about ski and Zelda joining together as strange bedfellows vs Pitt79.
lol, i noticed that too.

i get what 79 is saying but he's using terrible examples. umbc winning one game is not this historic event, win and lose 2 days later. like i said, if you are gonna play the cinderella card, much better examples. Didnt shaka smart take vcu to the final four? Loyola ill in 18.

I guess if you love "upsets" then those are better examples to use for the argument. That '04 game was a top 25 greatest final four moment in ncaa history.

No! You can't take away the weak auto-bids teams spot away from them! As it is the championship games for those leagues are intense and they act like it's the world championship, can't take that away. That's great viewing.
I think you didn't accurately understood what I proposed. The plan I proposed doesn't take any weak auto-bids league champion's spot away from them. All are still in the expanded tournament via the play-in round.

Their league championship games would still determine who from those leagues get an auto-bid into the (expanded) tourney. The re-racking of their rankings for seeding the play in games comes after the conference winners have been determined and only includes the conference winners in that process. In other words, if one of those conference winners is the #267 computer rated team and another is the #73 computer rated team, the former (#267) gets the toughest play-in game opponent and the later (#73) gets the easiest (i.e., the #4 16 seed-- the #64 team) opponent in the play-in round. Also, in a few cases, a second team in a weak auto-bid league might make the tourney if they were in the actual real top 64 but didn't win their conference tourney.

I don't see any auto-bid league team being hurt in this proposal--other than being made to play an extra game in the tourney---which has to happen to some teams in any system (including the current in-place one) that goes beyond a field strictly limited to 64 teams.

Last edited:
I don't watch college basketball to see NBA players. If I want to do that, I watch the NBA.

Part of what I enjoy about NCAA D1 college basketball is that there are not 30 teams, but 300+. I enjoy it for the diversity of schools and programs. You can call what hundreds of the D1 teams play "bad basketball," but I follow a few teams in low major conferences and it's actually very entertaining. Sure there is no NBA-level skill on the court, but these guys are still pretty good and I find it fun to watch.

Reactions: BTisinDC
umbc winning one game is not this historic event, win and lose 2 days later.
You're totally wrong! What happened 2 days or 2 minutes or 2 years later means nothing, that was a historic game that nobody forgets JUST BECAUSE a 16-seed won a game for the first time ever, they could lose their next 20 by an average score of 100-20 and it doesn't take anything away from that one win.

Honestly if someone offered me $50 bucks to name the first 16 seed to beat a 1, I wouldn't have said UMBC.

I don't watch college basketball to see NBA players. If I want to do that, I watch the NBA.

Part of what I enjoy about NCAA D1 college basketball is that there are not 30 teams, but 300+. I enjoy it for the diversity of schools and programs. You can call what hundreds of the D1 teams play "bad basketball," but I follow a few teams in low major conferences and it's actually very entertaining. Sure there is no NBA-level skill on the court, but these guys are still pretty good and I find it fun to watch.
I'm with you, I'm biased towards UMBC by the way, because I live 10 minutes from their campus, the first time I went to one of their games, I just walked into their old arena for free in 2007 and about 200 people where watching them play Boston U, I was there waiting to pick up my daughter from her swimming lessons :)

Now they have an arena twice as big and probably 10 times more attendance and you probably have to pay to get in now :)

So, when they were playing Virginia, I watched the whole thing, and loved it. Sometimes, when they are on TV I do watch them. They aren't on more than 5-6 times per year.

You're totally wrong! What happened 2 days or 2 minutes or 2 years later means nothing, that was a historic game that nobody forgets JUST BECAUSE a 16-seed won a game for the first time ever, they could lose their next 20 by an average score of 100-20 and it doesn't take anything away from that one win.
we will agree to disagree on this one.

Honestly if someone offered me $50 bucks to name the first 16 seed to beat a 1, I wouldn't have said UMBC.
Who won that UCONN/Duke game in 2004? Name me a couple players, I can't name one?

Its bad players and flopping relentlessly so yea, I'll give you that. But the tournament is this magical thing. No one remembers this Duke/UConn game that you might even be making up. If there's 10 games in NCAAT history that people can name 20 or 30 years from now, UMBC and FDU are on the list. Not because it was high level basketball. Because of the magnitude of a 16 beating a 1.

Different strokes for different folks. I think the main point is that what makes March Madness March MADNESS is the potential for the big upsets and Cinderella runs. I don't think the even would be near as compelling if only the blue bloods were playing like in CFB.

For me personally, Im not a fan of the NBA a game that has a bunch of future NBA players in it is not a compelling reason for me personally to watch. I believe there are quite a few people who share that opinion as well. I no longer watch professional baseball either as its pretty much the same teams competing........oh and the pirates suck.

But like the saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That's fine, but I'm right, ask someone you know to tell you about that 2004 Duke/UCONN game? You think they will know about that?
compared to the epic umbc opening rd game, yes i do. casual fans have heard of names like JJ reddick, Okafor, Ben Gordon, Villanueva..

like i said, most people dont even know what umbc stands for..

Its bad players and flopping relentlessly so yea, I'll give you that. But the tournament is this magical thing. No one remembers this Duke/UConn game that you might even be making up. If there's 10 games in NCAAT history that people can name 20 or 30 years from now, UMBC and FDU are on the list. Not because it was high level basketball. Because of the magnitude of a 16 beating a 1.
I'd also argue that 11-loss Nova over the 1985 Ewing Hoyas of Georgetown could be the most memorable championship game, simply because Nova was such a longshot. I get it some people hate that, because they think being champion has something to do with being the best team, when one has nothing to do with the other.

I'd also argue that 11-loss Nova over the 1985 Ewing Hoyas of Georgetown could be the most memorable championship game, simply because Nova was such a longshot. I get it some people hate that, because they think being champion has something to do with being the best team, when one has nothing to do with the other.
that was a great game, a great story and a national championship event.

you are comparing that to umbc vs uva first rd game is hysterical.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
compared to the epic umbc opening rd game, yes i do. casual fans have heard of names like JJ reddick, Okafor, Ben Gordon, Villanueva..

like i said, most people dont even know what umbc stands for..
I've heard of those players, but don't remember anything about that game, who won?

that was a great game, a great story and a national championship event.

you are comparing that to umbc vs uva first rd game is hysterical.
The Nova/GTown game in 85 was a great game and great story, most people remember that, it's not like the 2004 UCONN/Duke game, I don't think people really remember that, not as much as UMBC/VA.

Who won the 2004 UCONN/Duke game? What was the score?
i posted a link with the top 25 greatest NCAA tournament moments in an above post. it's in there, # 17. check it out..

What makes the NCAAT so popular is the sideshow/lunacy of the round of 64 and 32. I mean, I wish it was only 32 teams with double elimination so we'd better determine a worthy champion. One and done in college hoops is laughable but the event itself it very fun.

What makes the NCAAT so popular is the sideshow/lunacy of the round of 64 and 32. I mean, I wish it was only 32 teams with double elimination so we'd better determine a worthy champion. One and done in college hoops is laughable but the event itself it very fun.
the first two rounds are lunacy, a barrage of hoops from every angle. underdogs and lop sided wins and cinderellas, just an orgy of hoops on 4 different stations from noon til 10pm. and fans and non-fans like it cause everyone filled out a bracket and has a rooting interest.

Then in the second week, the round of 16 and 8, the cream usually rises to the top and it gives you good teams playing against each other and things start to settle down a bit.

i agree, it's the best of both worlds..

Who won the 2004 UCONN/Duke game? What was the score?
I just had to look it up and watched condensed highlights. UConn won. I’m not sure what was special about it. Just another tourney game that I didn’t remember.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT