ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Mitchell having a big year

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Explain to me the deal with him again?. He spent 2 years ranked between 75-100 but everyone on here kept saying he's way overrated and Capel wasn't interested. I kept expecting him to drop in the rankings and he never did. But then he signs with UMass so I think, ok, maybe he isnt that good after all. I turn on UMass/St. John's today not even remembering Mitchell is on the team and I see this long dude with funky hair get some rebounds and just look "the part." Turns out to be Mitchell. He's a good player. Easily better than any Big we have. Had 14 and 12 vs SJU today. Averaging 12.2 and 5.3 on the year.

Why didn't we recruit this Pittsburgh kid harder?

Explain to me the deal with him again?. He spent 2 years ranked between 75-100 but everyone on here kept saying he's way overrated and Capel wasn't interested. I kept expecting him to drop in the rankings and he never did. But then he signs with UMass so I think, ok, maybe he isnt that good after all. I turn on UMass/St. John's today not even remembering Mitchell is on the team and I see this long dude with funky hair get some rebounds and just look "the part." Turns out to be Mitchell. He's a good player. Easily better than any Big we have. Had 14 and 12 vs SJU today. Averaging 12.2 and 5.3 on the year.

A guy like that could be a big help to the team this year

Last edited:
Tre had bigger offers than Umass, but Umass made a smart move hiring Tony Bergeron who was Tre’s coach at Woodstock Academy. Him and Tre are real close. In addition he brought along 2 other Frosh from Woodstock. Tre and T.J. Weeks are the Woodstock kids that are 2 of the 3 leading scores as Frosh. Big fish small pond.

His family didn't want anything to do with Pgh.
I don't think this had anything to do with Capel.

Tre had bigger offers than Umass, but Umass made a smart move hiring Tony Bergeron who was Tre’s coach at Woodstock Academy. Him and Tre are real close. In addition he brought along 2 other Frosh from Woodstock. Tre and T.J. Weeks are the Woodstock kids that are 2 of the 3 leading scores as Frosh. Big fish small pond.
I remember rumors during his recruitment that it was a little more than just a smart move by UMass - it was the move they needed to make to get the player.

So he decides to play in the A10 over the ACC? That doesn't sound right. UMass isnt even a good A10 program. Honestly, they are on Duquesne's level.

You're not paying attn. Duquesne has become a good A-10 team/program. In the words of Bubby Brister, "Write it down."

You're not paying attn. Duquesne has become a good A-10 team/program. In the words of Bubby Brister, "Write it down."

We'll see. They were a .500 team last year and a doormat in years before that. They still have a lot to do to become a good A10 program.

We'll see.

Indeed, we will.

By way of background, during the Stallings' death march, I began following Duq and WVU closely. Keith Dambrot is a good coach who finds players who can help him. (They come and go each year like commuters.) Barring further injury (like to Cary; F Hughes gone for the season already) they will contend in the A-10 this yr and for the foreseeable future. Baylee Steele would have been a big help in a Pitt uni.

In add'n WVU is going to be very good this. Very deep, versatile, big and strong.

I remember rumors during his recruitment that it was a little more than just a smart move by UMass - it was the move they needed to make to get the player.

The rumor at the time of his commitment was that Bergeron was dating Mitchell’s mother. As mentioned, he also brought a few other talented Woodstock kids with him, so it was a prudent move by UMass. Quite honestly, I don’t know why more schools don’t save an Asst. spot for these type of situations. Is it sleazy? There’s a lot of grey area there, but ask OK State how much they care after it landed them Cunningham.

Mitchell will be a very good college player. As others mentioned, there were a myriad of reasons why Pitt wasn’t in contention for him which stinks for us, but it just wasn’t in the cards.

We'll see.

Indeed, we will.

By way of background, during the Stallings' death march, I began following Duq and WVU closely. Keith Dambrot is a good coach who finds players who can help him. (They come and go each year like commuters.) Barring further injury (like to Cary; F Hughes gone for the season already) they will contend in the A-10 this yr and for the foreseeable future. Baylee Steele would have been a big help in a Pitt uni.

In add'n WVU is going to be very good this. Very deep, versatile, big and strong.

Not disagreeing at all. Just think putting the Dukes as one of the better A10 teams at this point is premature. Maybe Dambrot gets them there.

Agree on WVU. They are good although the game they played against Pitt was by far there best game. They haven't looked that impressive in any other games. But Oscar is a monster and I do think they will be really good this year.

The rumor at the time of his commitment was that Bergeron was dating Mitchell’s mother. As mentioned, he also brought a few other talented Woodstock kids with him, so it was a prudent move by UMass. Quite honestly, I don’t know why more schools don’t save an Asst. spot for these type of situations. Is it sleazy? There’s a lot of grey area there, but ask OK State how much they care after it landed them Cunningham.

Mitchell will be a very good college player. As others mentioned, there were a myriad of reasons why Pitt wasn’t in contention for him which stinks for us, but it just wasn’t in the cards.
Yeah, I definitely think it's a situation where you can fairly weigh the pluses and minuses. For a school like UMass, the calculus of hiring a long-time prep school coach from up there obviously paid off in that it brought them three freshmen who are going to start for them for years - on top of another Woodstock kid who transferred in.

That said, though, if you could be guaranteed to get those kinds of results then everyone would do it. While the Mitchell recruitment obviously had a few more wrinkles - same, really, with Cunningham/OK State - I don't think the calculus would have been the same for Pitt versus UMass. Now that someone has mentioned Duquesne, though, I could see a school in that tier maybe pursuing a guy like Khayree Wilson at First Love, which actually might put Pitt in a bind from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT