ADVERTISEMENT

Trib calling out THON/4 Diamonds

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Pretty detailed account. The secrecy of course stands out the most. Knowing the tendency of that university, I think it is a safe assumption that at a minimum, at least some of the secret endowments described are finding their way to the football program. Football is the absolute top priority, heck the top 10 priorities, the top 50 priorities, or whatever #priorities there are, of that institution. A token might get to something earnest (though it sounded like it was mainly to wine and dine researchers to join up). As the article disclosed, they can truly spend the money anywhere they want. And there, any revenue they get is going to have some it funneled to football.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I think it’s much more likely that the fraternities and sororities are getting something off the top for their trouble than it getting redirected to football somehow.

I think it’s much more likely that the fraternities and sororities are getting something off the top for their trouble than it getting redirected to football somehow.
Wherever it’s going, they obviously want to keep it a secret If the endowments were all going to truly charitable causes, what reasons would there be not to make it public?

Reactions: Dan1911
Wherever it’s going, they obviously want to keep it a secret If the endowments were all going to truly charitable causes, what reasons would there be not to make it public?
Some things never change, even after one the most atrocious college athletic misdeeds ever. How can regulators, Dept of Education, etc, let this go on without demanding disclosures and transparency?
Truly sickening…

Reactions: Steeltheone
Nah, I think it's pretty clear it works the opposite way there. They more money they raise, the less money the university spends on policing and enforcing the underage drinking statutes and student security services.

Some things never change, even after one the most atrocious college athletic misdeeds ever. How can regulators, Dept of Education, etc, let this go on without demanding disclosures and transparency?
Truly sickening
Their political clout and influence in this state is IMMENSE. That cannot possibly be overstated. Been that way for a LONG time. Especially since 1966.

Needs to be an audit. How can charitable organizations/ institutions hide monies?

This is all Wyatt Massey. This dude is tremendous. He's the dude that broke the gangbang scandal. Unfortunately, PSU successfully either paid the girl off or never informed the girl that she was recorded and her video was distributed. Gangbanging a chick with her consent is perfectly legal but if she was intoxicated and/or did not she was being recorded and/or did not know the video would be shared, PSU would be in a world of trouble for covering that up.

This is all Wyatt Massey. This dude is tremendous. He's the dude that broke the gangbang scandal. Unfortunately, PSU successfully either paid the girl off or never informed the girl that she was recorded and her video was distributed. Gangbanging a chick with her consent is perfectly legal but if she was intoxicated and/or did not she was being recorded and/or did not know the video would be shared, PSU would be in a world of trouble for covering that up.

Thon is probably paying that victim off. And countless others.

I get hit by public solicitation by students, they can be pretty aggressive. I get it, they are young, but they tend use the phrase "help the kids" which has always burnt my tail cause I have known a fairly small portion goes to actually helping kids, most goes to endowments and research, and no one here needs any explanation about that.

I do A LOT for kids and have no interest in donating to university operations.

One time a young buck shot s snide "I guess you don't want to help the kids" and we had a conversation about these things.

I think it's so secretive for that reason.

But, it's just the mo for all institutions like this.

I get hit by public solicitation by students, they can be pretty aggressive. I get it, they are young, but they tend use the phrase "help the kids" which has always burnt my tail cause I have known a fairly small portion goes to actually helping kids, most goes to endowments and research, and no one here needs any explanation about that.

One time a young buck shot s snide "I guess you don't want to help the kids" and we had a conversation about these things.

For the kids is the phrase. They do the FTK thing as well

To be fair, if the money is going to endowments and paying professors, it still is indirectly "for the kids." I don't even have a huge problem with that. My thing is that its Penn State, the North Korea of public universities. So I believe the reason they are so secretive about the money is sinister.

Reactions: benchwarmer04
To be fair, if the money is going to endowments and paying professors, it still is indirectly "for the kids." I don't even have a huge problem with that. My thing is that its Penn State, the North Korea of public universities. So I believe the reason they are so secretive about the money is sinister.
Then pretty much everything would be "for the kids." The endowments the article found were not even child focused, they were general. Pretty safe bet if they were actually child directed they would list them. There is a reason they don't.

I have always wondered if it isn't something as simple as what happened with the wounded warrior project. You have a legit charity with clearly a noble goal but the people at the highest levels take massive salaries and spend the donations on lavish parties and conferences.

I have always wondered if it isn't something as simple as what happened with the wounded warrior project. You have a legit charity with clearly a noble goal but the people at the highest levels take massive salaries and spend the donations on lavish parties and conferences.
A 10%+ overhead for a fundraiser that’s ostensively organized, staffed, and participated in my student volunteers raises my eyebrows a little bit.

The endowments that are under control of the dean of the medical school don’t really strike me as suspicious. The medical school isn’t even located on campus, and essentially functions as a separate entity from anything in State College. Same with the research endowments.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
I have posted here many times over the years, most of the money raised by THON goes into endowment and other funds building Penn State institutionally. It is a Penn State-only fund raising initiative intentionally wrapped in the guise of directly supporting pediatric cancer patients and their families, but it is completely unlike the Children's Miracle Network or national cancer charities that it tries to emulated in its branding.

According to this latest article, only 19 cents for every dollar donated go to actually immediately and directly supporting cancer patients and their families, and then only at Penn State Hershey. Unlike St. Jude's, Penn State Hershey does not cover all expenses for all patients, although it likely could if it was spending more than 19% of money raised on it instead of plowing into Penn State University endowments, operational reserves, and faculty start up packages.

When you want to help kids with cancer, give to your local children's cancer hospital. If you want to fund pediatric cancer research, there are many universities, including Pitt/UPMC Childrens and Penn/CHOP, that are doing more highly regarded research, or give to more reputable national cancer research organizations that fund competitively evaluated research proposals from across the country.

Last edited:
I have posted here many times over the years, most of the money raised by THON goes into endowment and other funds building Penn State institutionally. It is a Penn State-only fund raising initiative intentionally wrapped in the guise of directly supporting pediatric cancer patients and their families, but it is completely unlike the Children's Miracle Network or national cancer charities that it tries to emulated in its branding.

According to this latest article, only 19 cents for every dollar donated go to actually immediately and directly supporting cancer patients and their families, and then only at Penn State Hershey. Unlike St. Jude's, Penn State Hershey does not cover all expenses for all patients, although it likely could if it was spending more than 19% of money raised on it instead of plowing into Penn State University endowments, operational reserves, and faculty start up packages.

When you want to help kids with cancer, give to your local children's cancer hospital. If you want to fund pediatric cancer research, there are many universities, including Pitt and CHOP, that are doing more highly regarded research, or give to more reputable national cancer research organizations that fund competitively evaluated research proposals from across the country.
This

A 10%+ overhead for a fundraiser that’s ostensively organized, staffed, and participated in my student volunteers raises my eyebrows a little bit.

The endowments that are under control of the dean of the medical school don’t really strike me as suspicious. The medical school isn’t even located on campus, and essentially functions as a separate entity from anything in State College. Same with the research endowments.
9% admin for this isn't great, but there are lots of other non-profits along these lines taking more fir admin.

Best I can say it's not lean, but not out of line.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
9% admin for this isn't great, but there are lots of other non-profits along these lines taking more fir admin.

Best I can say it's not lean, but not out of line.
The 9% overhead is only for Four Diamonds. Whatever overhead there is for THON, which can't be 0%, is not included. Completely inefficient to have money flowing from THON->Penn State->Four Diamonds->Penn State Hershey. There is tremendous conflict of interest all over this.

At THON's origin it supported national charities (I think maybe the AHA); but when money gets big, so does the greed to keep it in house. It would be so much better off cutting out Four Diamonds and supporting Alex's Lemonade Stand, CURE, or even the Children's Miracle Network. These kids with cans have no idea what they are collecting for.

It’s a thing they do to get positive PR in the state. And it works. All the sheep news outlets report breathlessly on it, as they ignore and censor the continuous negative stories about PSU. Gives the kids a way to hook up, sneak in hooch to party, etc.

The other thing they have done is essentially franchise it. The high schools do mini thons where year after year they read from the same script, tell the same stories, have the same guest speakers. Where I live my local high school has raised over 1 million in its lifetime.

The other thing they have done is essentially franchise it. The high schools do mini thons where year after year they read from the same script, tell the same stories, have the same guest speakers. Where I live my local high school has raised over 1 million in its lifetime.
It's quite impressive the millions high schools have raised given how much the program has grown throughout the state. It's a pretty nice recruiting tool for Penn State as well.

The 9% overhead is only for Four Diamonds. Whatever overhead there is for THON, which can't be 0%, is not included. Completely inefficient to have money flowing from THON->Penn State->Four Diamonds->Penn State Hershey. There is tremendous conflict of interest all over this.

At THON's origin it supported national charities (I think maybe the AHA); but when money gets big, so does the greed to keep it in house. It would be so much better off cutting out Four Diamonds and supporting Alex's Lemonade Stand, CURE, or even the Children's Miracle Network. These kids with cans have no idea what they are collecting for.
I did not realize that.

What happened to the Penn Staters who were chirping about this a few days ago????

It's for the kids.

To the people criticizing this and throwing out stats, get over yourselves. Every charity has overhead costs and bad actors skimming from the collection plate. I have talked to family of a Four Diamond kid and they very much have felt the impact of THON in a direct manner. I don’t like Penn State football as much as anyone here, but it’s a great event that the campus throws 100% support behind and has directly impacted families for many years.

You have a legit charity with clearly a noble goal but the people at the highest levels take massive salaries and spend the donations on lavish parties and conferences.

This is every charity. And its the reason to own a bowl game. Pay yourself $700K, donate some to charity and host 1 game per year. Best non-profit in the world.

To the people criticizing this and throwing out stats, get over yourselves. Every charity has overhead costs and bad actors skimming from the collection plate. I have talked to family of a Four Diamond kid and they very much have felt the impact of THON in a direct manner. I don’t like Penn State football as much as anyone here, but it’s a great event that the campus throws 100% support behind and has directly impacted families for many years.
Yes, clearly football was the motive of the Trib article, and before that the Center Daily Times article, or before that, the piece by Sarah Ganim about it. Multiple journalists over a decade pointing out the same issues. Let's ignore numbers when they're uncomfortable because, after all, some good comes out of it. That kind of logic has never caused any sorts of problems in the past, especially at you know where.

Some people may be interested to know that, according to the Trib report, 40% of what gets to 4 Diamonds goes to institutional-specific endowments, from which there is approximately a 5% annual disbursement, vs 19% to go directly and immediately to patient and family support. It's one thing if someone knows they are donating to an institutional endowment and makes a decision to do so, but quite another when it is marketed as a something that is of immediate impact to patients and families or marketed as funding research akin to what actually occurs with, say, the American Cancer Society.*

But the problems are not so much THON as Four Diamonds. It is what it is. THON is a Penn State fundraising event to support a Penn State charity that supports Penn State University; one that takes about 18 cents of every $1 raised to actually support patients and families at Hershey. The rest is directed largely at growing and building a singlular institution. And the latter would be fine if they didn't try to bury that fact under two layers of of obfuscation.

*Please just google any of these other cancer charities and see the difference in transparency. For instance, look at CURE's website, or the entire list of current ACS award recipients, or how the V Foundation lists their grant recipients. Compare that to the The Four Diamonds website and annual report which, btw, appears to be intentionally mislead that its scope of research support is beyond Hershey by providing a national map of cancer networks that PSU has affiliation with and stating that PSU faculty have research collaborations with faculty at other universities, which is the case for 99.9% of all academic medical researchers. They're clearly counting on people's unfamiliarity with academic research to aggrandize the scope of what they are claiming to fund.

Last edited:
So the biggest university in the country can’t even come clean about a really worthwhile charity? Their whole institution is run like other cults that are paranoid the rest of the world is evil and trying to destroy them.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Cult members culting.

How clever: Set up a charity that only benefits your own health system. So unless you're within traveling distance to Penn State Health oncology, you're out of luck.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT