ADVERTISEMENT

Tyreek Robinson - Track Stud

Dion Bentley from Penn Hills jumped 26'6" back in 89. Went to Florida for track. He was a freak.
Bentley was also 6’4” compared to Robinson at 5’9”. I’m not a track person at all but I’m thinking the 7” height difference definitely contributes to the longer jump. For track jocks if both athletes are freakish would a 3’ difference be reasonably attributed to the height difference all things being equal?

Three top Americans Powell, Lewis and Beamon were all 6'2" 6'3". There is generally a sweet spot height wise by event. Like 5k to marathon are often 5'6 to 5'9 at the absolute top level.

The 3ft difference was the fact it was the National high school all time record. Just like the Jordan of high school long jumping. Most states 24' is their all time record.

Dion Bentley from Penn Hills jumped 26'6" back in 89. Went to Florida for track. He was a freak.
He sure was, and he did have the problem of jumping out of pits in HS. Could dunk from the foul line as well, but didn't play basketball because of his commitment to track.

Che Nwonko (is that is name) is a champion sprinter. I have contributed as much as he has so far for Pitt football.
Amazing. Now Pitt is recruiting speed, but some are nitpicking and trying to dismiss it. When for years all people talked about was Pitt WRs were too slow and lacked speed. And the same people drool over how fast other teams WRs were.

The bottom line is that no matter what Pitt does, these so called fans will read a post, and do their best to derail any positive thoughts. This has nothing to do with being a homer. Its just what I notice on every single positive post on this Pitt message board.

Amazing. Now Pitt is recruiting speed, but some are nitpicking and trying to dismiss it. When for years all people talked about was Pitt WRs were too slow and lacked speed. And the same people drool over how fast other teams WRs were.

The bottom line is that no matter what Pitt does, these so called fans will read a post, and do their best to derail any positive thoughts. This has nothing to do with being a homer. Its just what I notice on every single positive post on this Pitt message board.
well it's easy to discount as there are many examples of track speed not translating over to football speed. you get a track star and put him on a football field, that doesnt make a good football player.

will this guy automatically be a bust? Who knows but getting excited at track speed is silly and naive. we need football players, not lee mcraes

Reactions: pittbb80
well it's easy to discount as there are many examples of track speed not translating over to football speed. you get a track star and put him on a football field, that doesnt make a good football player.

will this guy automatically be a bust? Who knows but getting excited at track speed is silly and naive. we need football players, not lee mcraes
I don't know what Larry Fitz, Antonio Bryant, Tyler Boyd and Jordan Addison ran in sprint times (40/100 dashes) but they were always getting open and making plays.

I don't know what Larry Fitz, Antonio Bryant, Tyler Boyd and Jordan Addison ran in sprint times (40/100 dashes) but they were always getting open and making plays.
yes, that's kind of my point. Larry Fitz 40 times was very pedestrian. Tyler boyd ran a 4.58 at pitt's senior day..

addison 4.55. AB, 4.6/ all decent but very average (relatively speaking). yet all looked like speed demons on the football field (Except for Larry Fitz who just caught everything).

bub means 40 time was better than everyone of these guys. he ran a 4.4 recently. does any pitt fan actually think that bub means looked faster or played faster on a football field than boyd, addison and Bryant? I dont, and i like Bub Means, not putting him down at all.

We had a 26'6 guy here in Michigan too. Tony Martin out of Saginaw. Tied Carl Lewis's HS best.

Full track ride to Michigan State, shot and killed at a gas station while home for the summer after his freshman year.

Actually it's more just recognition that if a guy has world class speed or athletic ability and ends up with a paper thin offer sheet, it's most often because he's not a very good football player. there are always exceptions, but those are outliers.

Most programs have had their share of those guys, including this one. State 100m champ, long jump champ, high jump, etc etc., but doesn't produce much as a football player. There's this crazy thing where there's a lot more to it than raw speed or athleticism.

jester Weah would beat Jordan Addison by 10 yards in a 100 yard sprint. If you had to pick one of those two to play football for your team, which one would it be?

And let me say that I don't have any problem with this offer, I am just keeping my expectations reasonable. He's a great track athlete. Yet to be seen if he's a football player.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Well I know it is cliche, but there is "track speed" and there is "football speed". Sometimes it is transferrable like Darrell Green. But many of times, it is not. Really, it is more about burst and angles than straight line speed.

Actually it's more just recognition that if a guy has world class speed or athletic ability and ends up with a paper thin offer sheet, it's most often because he's not a very good football player. there are always exceptions, but those are outliers.

Most programs have had their share of those guys, including this one. State 100m champ, long jump champ, high jump, etc etc., but doesn't produce much as a football player. There's this crazy thing where there's a lot more to it than raw speed or athleticism.

jester Weah would beat Jordan Addison by 10 yards in a 100 yard sprint. If you had to pick one of those two to play football for your team, which one would it be?

And let me say that I don't have any problem with this offer, I am just keeping my expectations reasonable. He's a great track athlete. Yet to be seen if he's a football player.

Addison 10.9 100m
Weah 10.6 100m

Without doing the math... that's not a 10 yards difference.

Tyreek Robinson is a football player doing track not the other way around.

Last edited:
So many say that track speed doesn't translate to football. I remember years ago when Butch was coaching at Miami and he laughed at that non-sense. He said something like it's no coincidence that they rarely have a kick returned or punt returned on special teams because his S/T units are often filled with former track athletes that might not be able to start on offense or defense but still provide a valuable contribution.

So many say that track speed doesn't translate to football. I remember years ago when Butch was coaching at Miami and he laughed at that non-sense. He said something like it's no coincidence that they rarely have a kick returned or punt returned on special teams because his S/T units are often filled with former track athletes that might not be able to start on offense or defense but still provide a valuable contribution.
that's because Butch Davis at Miami was on probation with scholarship reductions and he HAD To use track scholarships on track runners to fill out his football roster..

Hope he can contribute and be another Bob Hayes, Deion, Herschel, Hurts, etc. H2P

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
are you sure because i just saw a tweet with him excelling at track long jump and breaking records and in football, we beat out texas state and central michigan as his only offer.

it appears he is a track star doing football.

are you sure because i just saw a tweet with him excelling at track long jump and breaking records and in football, we beat out texas state and central michigan as his only offer.

He has quite the football reputation in Louisiana. His track results as a Jr were good not great. His 10.59 100m is quite the time drop. Let's see if he can run in that range consistently.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
He has quite the football reputation in Louisiana. His track results as a Jr were good not great. His 10.59 100m is quite the time drop. Let's see if he can run in that range consistently.
i agree, not writing him off. one thing we know, being fast and athletic isnt a bad thing..

i agree, not writing him off. one thing we know, being fast and athletic isnt a bad thing..
247 has him #17 in the state (which has about 50 P4 recruits).

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Last year he had 55 catches for 885 yards and 16TDs, along with 11 carries for 133 yards and 2 TDs. He looks like he can play enough football to me. Texas State is one of the best offensive teams in FBS football, and a place where many wanted Pitt to look for their OC (Leftwich). He's a recruit, and well worth taking a stab at.

And fans positive thoughts is what wins games :)

Last year he had 55 catches for 885 yards and 16TDs, along with 11 carries for 133 yards and 2 TDs. He looks like he can play enough football to me. Texas State is one of the best offensive teams in FBS football, and a place where many wanted Pitt to look for their OC (Leftwich). He's a recruit, and well worth taking a stab at.

Exactly!!! Nothing ventured nothing gained H2P!!

Addison 10.9 100m
Weah 10.6 100m

Without doing the math... that's not a 10 yards difference.

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was making a point with Weah and Addison, not being literal about their splits in the 100. And the point stands. Weah was bigger, faster, and stronger than Addison, and he's home on fall Sundays watching Addison play.

What's your explanation for Tyreek's offer sheet? That maybe he just went unnoticed at one of the biggest H.S. football powerhouses in the country, where literally every game he plays in is teeming with FBS recruiters?

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was making a point with Weah and Addison, not being literal about their splits in the 100. And the point stands. Weah was bigger, faster, and stronger than Addison, and he's home on fall Sundays watching Addison play.

What's your explanation for Tyreek's offer sheet? That maybe he just went unnoticed at one of the biggest H.S. football powerhouses in the country, where literally every game he plays in is teeming with FBS recruiters?
What’s your explanation for why he went from being ranked #42 as a prospect to finishing at #17 in Louisiana on 247?

I would assume size or late development. If kade is actually 6'1"- he looks 5'10" or 5'9".

that's because Butch Davis at Miami was on probation with scholarship reductions and he HAD To use track scholarships on track runners to fill out his football roster..

I don't know when they changed the rule, but you aren't allowed to do that any more. If someone is on scholarship and they play football, they count against your football numbers.

Too many people were using track scholarships as a way to stash extra football players.

What’s your explanation for why he went from being ranked #42 as a prospect to finishing at #17 in Louisiana on 247?
I know what doesn’t explain it-his offer sheet.

What’s your explanation for it? This should be interesting…..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT