ADVERTISEMENT

uchebo

I know what it means. I'm not advocating we kept him. I'm making a statement about the constant perpetual and perverse defense of everything Jamie Dixon. You can't even concede he made a mistake on this one. It isn't the end of the world. They are 16-4 and in third place in the conference. Kudos to him.
Your statement is not accurate or true.
Graduate transfer.

Is it possible that Joe decided to leave, nothing to do with Dixon, for his last year our eligibility... Because he had that option??
This topic has little to nothing to do with Dixon or a mistake made at all.
Why are you continually inventing this false narrative?

I know what it means. (true)

I'm not advocating we kept him (true)

You can't Concede he made a mistake (opinion but true)

Constant defense of Dixon (opinion but true)

Graduate transfer.

Is it possible that Joe decided to leave, nothing to do with Dixon, for his last year our eligibility... Because he had that option??
This topic has little to nothing to do with Dixon or a mistake made at all.
Why are you continually inventing this false narrative?

It's a fact that Pitt wanted to medical hardship joe. If they would have offered him ano's minutes he would have stayed. And it's great that you can offer your opinion and say mine isn't true.

I know what it means. (true)

I'm not advocating we kept him (true)

You can't Concede he made a mistake (opinion but true)

Constant defense of Dixon (opinion but true)
What is the opinion of Dixon's mistake?
Bringing him onto the roster at all? I disagree, he's talented ,(clearly) but injured.

Joe using three grad transfer rule to go play more at a lower level isn't a Dixon mistake. I'll wager if Joe wanted to stay for his final year of eligibility he'd have a roster spot. It's not like Dixon yanked his scholarship.

I can give you a list of things I disagree with Dixon on, and they all have to do with defensive scheme and recruiting identity.
I list them continually.

Likewise most every poster who is supportive of Dixon disagrees with his choices.. Be it regimented sub patterns, playing time choices, sitting a player with 2 fouls in the first half... Or whatever.

Your straw man argument is easily destroyed, because it's based off your continued wrong headed opinion that every defends everything Dixon does.

it's been referenced many times on this site by posters that would know.

it's been referenced many times on this site by posters that would know.

So, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word fact means?

You remind me of my uncle Tom, he likewise will steadfastly argue an opinion regardless of evidence to the contrary.
He tends to argue louder and louder with each beer.

Likewise, I don't demure to him just to pacify his ego.

So, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word fact means?

You remind me of my uncle Tom, he likewise will steadfastly argue an opinion regardless of evidence to the contrary.
He tends to argue louder and louder with each beer.

Likewise, I don't demure to him just to pacify his ego.

Like you earlier saying my opinion was inaccurate while your opinion wasn't.

Here's the deal man, you don't think I know shit you know everything. You've now referenced me twice with people who have alcohol problems of which I don't. All the while I have not personally insulted you. Cool it with that shit ok? A

You can be snarky all you want. I have coached basketball, have you? There is a skill to getting effort out of your players. I made the comment of "getting max effort" as a skill a coach is evaluated on. If you want to make fun that is your choice but it is a skill nonetheless.

You liked bringing uchebo in last year because of his penchant for rebounding and you can't teach size. When others suggested he "couldn't walk" you remained Viligant in your defense of Dixon. Now while defending Dixon you cite the "he can't walk" argument. Even though we had taken a "flyer" and frankly gave in too quickly. It doesn't make Dixon and idiot or you a moron for defending him. Where you lose credibility is now using the same arguement you and others so vehemently disagreed with just last season.

What's funny is that all I see on the last page and a half of posts are yours because I have all of the other posters on ignore. Objective doesn't exist for quite a few on here. I suggest trying the same. It makes this site a million times better.

You're spot-on by the way. As I said earlier, no one saw this coming. It was clearly a mistake to let him go, I'm just happy he's having a terrific final season. We certainly could use him. But you can't defend both sides here. Either it was a bad decision to bring him here in the first place, or it was a bad decision to let him go. One or the other. If he actually did grad-transfer out, which I've never seen documented, then what are you gonna do?

Reactions: bobfree
I know what it means. I'm not advocating we kept him. I'm making a statement about the constant perpetual and perverse defense of everything Jamie Dixon. You can't even concede he made a mistake on this one. It isn't the end of the world. They are 16-4 and in third place in the conference. Kudos to him.
I'm not conceding that Dixon made a mistake on Joe. That's your opinion.

What's funny is that all I see on the last page and a half of posts are yours because I have all of the other posters on ignore. Objective doesn't exist for quite a few on here. I suggest trying the same. It makes this site a million times better.

You're spot-on by the way. As I said earlier, no one saw this coming. It was clearly a mistake to let him go, I'm just happy he's having a terrific final season. We certainly could use him. But you can't defend both sides here. Either it was a bad decision to bring him here in the first place, or it was a bad decision to let him go. One or the other. If he actually did grad-transfer out, which I've never seen documented, then what are you gonna do?
Too bad, you might learn something.

Like you earlier saying my opinion was inaccurate while your opinion wasn't.

Here's the deal man, you don't think I know shit you know everything. You've now referenced me twice with people who have alcohol problems of which I don't. All the while I have not personally insulted you. Cool it with that shit ok? A
Let's rebase a bit.
1. I've never said I know everything.
2. I've never said you know nothing.
3. I never said you have a drinking problem.
4. I don't know you at all, so how would I even make that judgement.
5 I said your opinion That people won't criticize Dixon is wrong because it factually is wrong.
6. I did say your choice conversational style is similar in the following ways:
You speak in exaggerated absolutes (everyone defer defends Dixon, I know nothing, you no everything) it's child like in its irrationality.
You stubbornly hold fast to opinions, regardless of rebuttal.
And you make declarative statements of fact based on things which are opinions, often opinions not grounded in any evidence.

Relax, the world isn't out to get you... If you're prone to emotional reactions, perhaps you're going to need a thicker skin on these forums.

Cheers

Last edited:

Of course he grad transferred...
Other wise he would not be eligible to play d1 upon transfer.

Understand this simple logic... It doesn't have to be a mistake on either end.
We have 13 scholarships and play maybe 9-10 guys.
It's a low risk proposition.

And I agree the objective doesn't Exist for plenty on this forum which lowers the quality of the conversation.
I'll note the target of that description isn't the folks you intend.

Last edited:
It's true that we weren't going to bring Joe back on the active roster.

Let's rebase a bit.
1. I've never said I know everything.
2. I've never said you know nothing.
3. I never said you have a drinking problem.
4. I don't know you at all, so how would I even make that judgement.
5 I said your opinion That people won't criticize Dixon is wrong because it factually is wrong.
6. I did say your choice conversational style is similar in the following ways:
You speak in exaggerated absolutes (everyone defer defends Dixon, I know nothing, you no everything) it's child like in its irrationality.
You stubbornly hold fast to opinions, regardless of rebuttal.
And you make declarative statements of fact based on things which are opinions, often opinions not grounded in any evidence.

Relax, the world isn't out to get you... If you're prone to emotional reactions, perhaps you're going to need a thicker skin on these forums.

Cheers

What rebuttal have you offered that has dealt in facts you so desperately demand. Dt Pitt has stated several times Pitt wanted to medical hardship uchebo. Do you doubt him?

You can be snarky all you want. I have coached basketball, have you? There is a skill to getting effort out of your players. I made the comment of "getting max effort" as a skill a coach is evaluated on. If you want to make fun that is your choice but it is a skill nonetheless.

You liked bringing uchebo in last year because of his penchant for rebounding and you can't teach size. When others suggested he "couldn't walk" you remained Viligant in your defense of Dixon. Now while defending Dixon you cite the "he can't walk" argument. Even though we had taken a "flyer" and frankly gave in too quickly. It doesn't make Dixon and idiot or you a moron for defending him. Where you lose credibility is now using the same arguement you and others so vehemently disagreed with just last season.

And how you measure the ability to get max effort out of someone? Seems extremely subject, especially if you aren't closely involved in the team. I still find it amusing that you cited NC State, a team in the basement of the conference (who also has more talent than Pitt) as displaying better effort than Pitt.

Also, is that the argument I used last year? I'm sure it's the argument you think I used last year, but you've shown little interest in accurately representing other people peoples opinions to date so I don't expect you start now.

And you completely failed to address my main point in the previous post.

I can accept that, can you put provide the proof?

I can't provide proof but was told this by more than one person who would know.

Regardless, it's simply possible that Dixon thought they could get more out of someone else and perhaps that thought was wrong.

Or another possibility is that when the staff made this determination, Joe's knee still wasn't looking very good. This determination was made almost a year ago. It's also quite possible that the health of Joe's knee improved a fair amount and that's made him a better player.

As it is, I'm not quite sure why this has become the debate it has been in this thread. It's more than possible that Joe could have helped us this year. But he wouldn't have been making that big of a difference for our team if he was here. So perhaps it is a miscalculation for Dixon, but probably not a huge one.

Heck, a much bigger miscalculation was even recruiting Malcolm Gilbert.

Mostly, I'm happy that something good is happening for Joe Uchebo. He's about as nice of a Pitt player as I've ever met. Beyond that, it's almost a non-issue.

Something tells me this was a course you set for yourself LONG before you choose a career!

Did you ever see Broadcast News?
Fair enough.
One of my favorite party tricks in college would be to debate a topic until a buddy would give up and say he was wrong, then I'd argue his side of the debate to build up his case.

Occasionally, I use that for good now, since my work life is all metrics, dashboards, and creating the narrative for financial stewardship.

Fair enough.
One of my favorite party tricks in college would be to debate a topic until a buddy would give up and say he was wrong, then I'd argue his side of the debate to build up his case.

Occasionally, I use that for good now, since my work life is all metrics, dashboards, and creating the narrative for financial stewardship.

If you did see Broadcast News, you are the Albert Brooks character, aren't you?

This argument is as dumb as pirates fans bashing the team for trading Jose Bautista.

Everybody wanted uchebo gone. If he would have been brought back you would have been screaming in the fall asking why Dixon was wasting a spot on him.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone starts JD blew it in not keeping and developing Malcolm Gilbert posts!
Ps by they way adding a 12th or 13th player to your squad in the spring and taking a flyer on them really isn't wasting a scholarship especially when you couldn't fill it

This argument is as dumb as pirates fans bashing the team for trading Jose Bautista.

Everybody wanted uchebo gone. If he would have been brought back you would have been screaming in the fall asking why Dixon was wasting a spot on him.

I guess im not being clear or you don't understand my stance.

First I wouldn't have been screaming as we didn't bring in a solid freshmen recruit, we replaced him with a graduate transfer with less upside.

Second, we had already "wasted" two years on him what's 1 more?

Third, I'm ok with the decision both now and then. Just find it amusing the same people (and you are the same people) that were defending uchebo's spot on the roster when others complained are the same people defending dixons decision to jettison him.

First I wouldn't have been screaming as we didn't bring in a solid freshmen recruit, we replaced him with a graduate transfer with less upside.

Third, I'm ok with the decision both now and then. Just find it amusing the same people (and you are the same people) that were defending uchebo's spot on the roster when others complained are the same people defending dixons decision to jettison him.
I guess you can't grasp the concept of changed circumstances. Or perhaps the only "perverse" thing on this board is the constant necessity some exhibit to criticize Dixon.

Lol ok. I'll bow out.

The only thing that changed was dixons stance with changed yours.

I guess im not being clear or you don't understand my stance. ...

Just find it amusing the same people (and you are the same people) that were defending uchebo's spot on the roster when others complained are the same people defending dixons decision to jettison him.

1) I think everybody understands your stance.

2) I find it amusing that the same people that were criticizing Uchebo's spot on the roster all along are now complaining about Dixon's decision to jettison him.

Personally, I think it's obvious Uchebo was an end of the roster on a guy with talent, size and a debilitating injury. He showed flashes of why he was well-regarded but couldn't stay on the court here. Clearly, he graduated and chose to continue playing using the grad transfer rule or he woud not have been immediately eligible at UNCC.

So, essentially, we swapped injured grad transfer centers. At the time EVERYBODY was in favor of the move. Both got healthy enough to play. The one now playing down in class is doing better than the one who moved up to play against tougher competition. Should anybody be surprised?

And, should anybody be surprised that basically the same fans line up on either side of this? Fans who habitually take shots at Dixon are taking shots. Fans who usually defend him are defending him.

At least the fans defending Dixon have the same position on Joe as they did last Spring. Joe unfortunately proved he was not mobile enough to be an ACC center and it was best for him to move on.

You seem to think that circumstances and decisions should never change. Something can be a good decision at one point, and the opposite decision can be correct later. For instance, it may be smart to make expensive repairs on a car with 80,000 miles, and a wise decision NOT to make repairs on the same car 3 years later when it has 140,000 miles. There is nothing at all incongruous with holding an opposite opinion on something when the information changes. When Jamie took Joe, it made sense from the standpoint that we had a roster spot open late, nothing much else was available, may as well give it a shot. Later, when our team stunk and we got nothing from our 3 centers, Jamie had to make a call whether or not to replace the 2 guys who could have stayed or not. But it had to be decided in a timely manner, as Grad Transfers tend to move quick. It is possible that both could have been good decisions, based on the information available at the time.

As far as decisions not working out being a mistake. If a person, including you or me, makes a decision based on the best information at the time, and it turns out to later be proven a suboptimal decision, it was not necessarily a mistake. A mistake is not researching something at all and jumping into a decision without facts. I always read numerous reliability and safety reports before buying a vehicle, and tend to opt for more reliable and safer cars. That being said, any car can be a lemon off the line. In my world, making the decision to buy the logically "best" car is not a mistake, even if it turns out to be a lemon. I guess in your world, you would look back and say it was a mistake to have bought the typically more reliable car if the specific one you bought didn't work out. You have to go with the odds, nothing is ever a 100% certainty. But second guessing yourself is silly, so long as you did the necessary work before making the decision. At best, if something doesn't work out perfectly, look for any lessons learned, apply them, and move on.

This is my last post on this issue.

Harve in a previous post I stated that both sides of the argument are silly.

Kiwi. Based on the information Dixon had at the time it wasn't a bad decision. With the benefit of hindsight and who we brought in to replace Joe it was still the wrong one. It doesn't make Jamie a bad coach and I've said as much multiple times. DT Pitt conceded it probably was the wrong decision. The fact that not one of you can even concede it shows how irrational you guys have become on the Dixon issue. With your reasoning any decision you make can never be a wrong decision as long as you can cite the information you had at the time. The chargers didn't make a wrong decision drafting Ryan Leaf because he was generally considered the 2nd best prospect in the draft? This type of arguing is incessant and can never be countered.

I'm not sure how you knew uchebo had more upside than ANO and Maia, considering both of them actually put up decent numbers last year while uchebo couldn't get on the court because he was hurt.

Also, I find it unlikely that uchebo has anywhere near those numbers in the acc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT