ADVERTISEMENT

UNC BOT Chair suggests leaving ACC

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
The fact that both this and Clemson’s lawsuit happened immediately after the new CFP deal was signed suggests that these are not isolated… they’ve gotten the word from the B1G/SEC and are taking action.

The fact that both this and Clemson’s lawsuit happened immediately after the new CFP deal was signed suggests that these are not isolated… they’ve gotten the word from the B1G/SEC and are taking action.
Any ACC school that has a seat at the Big 10/SEC table will take it. They would be crazy to decline. Some will join a "best of the rest" conference, which may be the Big 12, a rebuilt ACC, or a merger of the two. The Big 12 feels confident they will pick the carcass of the ACC, but neither the Big 12 nor diluted ACC has marquee programs. I think Pitt is likely to end up in that third conference, although nothing is assured. Some programs with lots of history will be relegated to third-tier status -- possibly Syracuse, BC, GT, Cal, Stanford, Duke and others. While those who benefit cheer the changes, I think they're terrible for college football and destroy what I like most about the college game.

Pitt does not bring a new market to the Big 10 and does not fit culturally or geographically with the SEC. Hooking up with WVU, VT, Cincy, and NC State seems a best-case scenario.

Any ACC school that has a seat at the Big 10/SEC table will take it. They would be crazy to decline. Some will join a "best of the rest" conference, which may be the Big 12, a rebuilt ACC, or a merger of the two. The Big 12 feels confident they will pick the carcass of the ACC, but neither the Big 12 nor diluted ACC has marquee programs. I think Pitt is likely to end up in that third conference, although nothing is assured. Some programs with lots of history will be relegated to third-tier status -- possibly Syracuse, BC, GT, Cal, Stanford, Duke and others. While those who benefit cheer the changes, I think they're terrible for college football and destroy what I like most about the college game.

Pitt does not bring a new market to the Big 10 and does not fit culturally or geographically with the SEC. Hooking up with WVU, VT, Cincy, and NC State seems a best-case scenario.

I think you pretty much nailed it. Though I wouldn't be shocked if VT ends up in the SEC.

But yeah - what's the difference what that third conference is called (ACC, Big 12, etc.), as long as we're in it? I guess the only thing you don't want is some situation where, if it's us going to the Big 12, us and other ACC programs seeking a lifeboat are accepting lesser payouts for the first X amount of years just to get in the door.

This probably will kill off interest for the fans of a lot of the teams not in the big two. But I think it's only going to create more excitement for the overall landscape. Way more appealing TV matchups each week, as there will be less squash matches. I don't personally like this model better, but I think many will.

I dont get why everyone keeps saying Pitt is not good enough to be in the 2 big conferences. None of you have a clue what teams are going to be excepted. Just have to wait and see.
Although Pitt was evaluated by the Big Ten, we don’t bring them any new footprints or viewers (already covered with Penn State) and the SEC is a non-starter. Our best hope would be for the Big Ten to place a priority on AAU status and academics, but even then there are other schools they could invite that’d better serve their interests (Arizona schools, Colorado, Utah) in addition to the ACC schools.

FSU, Clem, and UNC will have Big 2 landing spots. The others? Some probably will. The ACC has to hope they can keep the league together until 2036 and by then maybe there's a total change in the landscape.

For the others like Pitt, they need to put themselves in position to be in the 3rd league whether its the ACC or B12.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Geography is not really in the mx any longer! Pitt would bring in Pennsylvania and that is appealing to the SEC. If things start unraveling we will find out how much that appeal is.

Geography is not really in the mx any longer! Pitt would bring in Pennsylvania and that is appealing to the SEC. If things start unraveling we will find out how much that appeal is.
Is there any benefit from an SEC perspective to bringing in Pennsylvania beyond cable television? If this was all going down ten years ago, I’d agree. Unfortunately, I think has more to do with brand values + the ratings the schools themselves bring, not necessarily their markets, and we just don’t bring the type of viewership garner their attention.

The best thing for Pitt would be for both the ACC and Big 12 to collapse and a new conference with the better public schools and marquee private schools forming, there's way too much dead weight in both conferences.

New Conference
Pitt
Syracuse
NC State
Duke
GT
Miami or FSU(one will be left out of the B1G/SEC sweepstakes)
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Iowa State
OK State
Texas Tech
Houston

Reactions: ThePanthers
Is there any benefit from an SEC perspective to bringing in Pennsylvania beyond cable television? If this was all going down ten years ago, I’d agree. Unfortunately, I think has more to do with brand values + the ratings the schools themselves bring, not necessarily their markets, and we just don’t bring the type of viewership garner their attention.
There's a benefit. Is the benefit as large as SEC adding FSU or Clemson, or UNC or one of the Virginia schools? No. But after them, I'd say we are probably the next most attractive eastern school to poach. But that's just my opinion and you could make arguments that NC State or Louisville or BC or GT is just as or more attractive.

This makes a lot of sense to me, sadly. Seems heading that way. It's too bad we can't just divorce the football from the other sports, but that ship has sailed along with the old independents.

DING, DING, DING, DING...someone who gets it! The SEC expanding to an area that could afford them penetration into the Big10 territory is very attractive.

The best thing for Pitt would be for both the ACC and Big 12 to collapse and a new conference with the better public schools and marquee private schools forming, there's way too much dead weight in both conferences.

New Conference
Pitt
Syracuse
NC State
Duke
GT
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Iowa State
OK State
Texas Tech
Houston

it would stink, a glorified AAC. The only hope would be this conference would refuse to be jobbers for the Big 2. Let them play each other and see how happy their fans would be with a bunch of 7-5 seasons.

it would stink, a glorified AAC.

Basically. Though it would be more talented (unless the Big 2 increases their scholarship limits - then all bets would be off). Not sure most fans would be able to discern somewhat modest differences in talent levels anyway.

But yeah - it would definitely be a step behind what Pitt football is today. TV would be littered with Big 2 games. Plus we'd have a much smaller budget, as we'd probably be getting about 1/3 of what we are now, which is already well behind the Big 2.

Although Pitt was evaluated by the Big Ten, we don’t bring them any new footprints or viewers (already covered with Penn State) and the SEC is a non-starter. Our best hope would be for the Big Ten to place a priority on AAU status and academics, but even then there are other schools they could invite that’d better serve their interests (Arizona schools, Colorado, Utah) in addition to the ACC schools.
While foot print matters and while SEC may look at Pitt cause viewers it isn’t huge.

The big ten may like Pitt more than UVA cause while Va would be new market Pitt vs PSU or Mi or OSU or ND cause they’ll be pushed is more attractive to networks.

Teams like Vanderbilt, Miss St Ole Miss, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern Rutgers, and Maryland win the lottery all because they had more forward thinking conference presidents over the last few decades.

I do think there is value into bringing another state into the fold! That is just my opinion obviously!

Please, the Big 10 doesn't care about AAU status, if they did Nebraska wouldn't be a member and they wouldn't be kicking the tires on Clemson and Florida State.

The only way Pitt gets into the SEC is if the B1G adds a few southern schools and the SEC reacts with adding northern schools out of spite, I doubt the SEC would react that way.

So now its brands. What brand does NCS, VT, Virginia, and even Clemson, other than a few championships bring? Pitt still has a brand.

The problem with Pitt is that, its on fans and the local media are the ones downgrading it. Where has it been said by anyone from the B10, SEC, that Pitt wont be considered, Again, no one knows anything til the chips falls.

So now its brands. What brand does NCS, VT, Virginia, and even Clemson, other than a few championships bring? Pitt still has a brand.

The problem with Pitt is that, its on fans and the local media are the ones downgrading it. Where has it been said by anyone from the B10, SEC, that Pitt wont be considered, Again, no one knows anything til the chips falls.
That is very myopic

Teams like Vanderbilt, Miss St Ole Miss, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern Rutgers, and Maryland win the lottery all because they had more forward thinking conference presidents over the last few decades.
Has nothing to do with forward thinking.

It's fairly wild that schools with terrible football teams (Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern) or from states with flat and/or negative population growth (Indiana, Purdue, Ole Miss, and MS State) are going to be fine and states who have good football teams and/or good population growth might be locked out.

There is no reason that this arms race should be occurring with such devastating consequences for some well-run athletics departments and mana from heaven for some poorly run ones because of their lucky affiliations. This entire thing is such a ****show and probably the perfect thing for Congress to intervene on. Obviously that is not going to happen. I'm just tired of dealing with this. Us Pitt fans have been in the thick of it for 20 years. I tease my friends because this is new to a lot of them but we've literally been under the Sword of Damocles for pretty much my entire adult life.

DING, DING, DING, DING...someone who gets it! The SEC expanding to an area that could afford them penetration into the Big10 territory is very attractive.

I wouldn't bet on Pitt getting an SEC invite but its also not some ridiculously crazy idea. The B10 may penetrate (unfortunate pun) the south. The WPA market isnt fantastic but its also not insignificant.

Since FSU and Clemson want to leave the ACC, let them go but pay the ACC $$$/GOR to get out.

They signed the documents so pay up and leave.

Once they get into their new conference they will probably no longer be a Football Power and their fans will have to accept the fact that they may no longer play for National Championship Games.

If FSU and Clemson went to the B1G they will have to contend with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon State. Everyone in the BiG can't be 12-0 or 11-1.

Nebraska was a Power Football Program in their old Conference. However, in the B1G they are just another mediocre football program.

FSU and Clemson should get used to losing more football games (another Nebraska).

Their departure will allow other teams in the ACC to go on to play for National Championship Games in the new CFP and develop into a football power.

The ACC can have a West Division like the B1G.

B1G West: UCLA,USC, Washington, Oregon.
ACC WEST: Stanford, Cal, Washington State, Oregon State

The ACC will always be financially better than the Big 12 because the ACC teams are located in states with large state populations and have the ACCN. Most Big 12 teams are located in states with small population bases and the Big 12 is the only P-4 Conference without their own network.

FSU and Clemson you can leave but SHOW ME THE MONEY.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
You just mentioned the most important thing in your statement. The MOST important thing to these leagues are CABLE TELEVISION that will soon be STEAMING TV. It is all about what schools will be appealing to the TV networks because in less than 5 years college football will be paid for view streaming services. ESPN and Disney has already announced their partnership in a streaming service. Fox had already announced its intent for streaming. These conferences will pick the schools the streaming services want. Academics, location will have nothing to do with it.

The ACC will always be financially better than the Big 12 because the ACC teams are located in states with large state populations and have the ACCN. Most Big 12 teams are located in states with small population bases and the Big 12 is the only P-4 Conference without their own network.
Except for Florida and Georgia and the somewhat recent SEC additions of A&M and Texas, the SEC is generally in all small population states too. That hasn't hurt them.

New Conference
Pitt
Syracuse
NC State
Duke
GT
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Iowa State
OK State
Texas Tech
Houston
That could be a great basketball conference

Except for Florida and Georgia and the somewhat recent SEC additions of A&M and Texas, the SEC is generally in all small population states too. That hasn't hurt them.
That's because their college football teams are their de facto pro sports teams. It's harder to pull that off north of Mason Dixon where people like pro sports and have more teams.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The SEC....if they were to expand into Big 10 country (and i would put this at 99% not a chance), would take a school that fits their DNA.

Less populated state, rabid fan base, sold out football and basketball. Small town feel with solid athletic teams.

The answer is not Pitt. Its Iowa State.

That said, i will repeat the SEC will never take either.

The issue now is that the networks don't have the regional broadcast like they used to. That negates a lot of the benefits of markets.

The SEC....if they were to expand into Big 10 country (and i would put this at 99% not a chance), would take a school that fits their DNA.

Less populated state, rabid fan base, sold out football and basketball. Small town feel with solid athletic teams.

The answer is not Pitt. Its Iowa State.

That said, i will repeat the SEC will never take either.
Sorry but Pitt would have to be a higher profile school for them to grab than ISU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT