ADVERTISEMENT

UNC BOT Chair suggests leaving ACC

The SEC is largely geographically isolated, while the Big 10 is aiming for a coast to coast conference.

The SEC could try to get into Big 10’s territory, but it doesn’t make sense to just grab one team. Grab Pitt and be done. Assuming Pitt makes financial sense for the SEC, the options probably only get worse after that, and Pitt probably isn’t a slam dunk financial option to start your ceiling at anyway. So whom else would the SEC grab?

kinda like when a baseball team really needs a top tier starting pitcher or something at the trade deadline. But the asking price is too great so not worth the benefit. So instead they double down on their strength, like a getting another top tier bullpen arm to go along with their already top tier bullpen.

It makes more sense for the SEC to take FSU and Clemson and better situated programs in the south, then try to add northern teams. The inventory available in the north is not going to be worth the price. The SEC waited too long if it wanted a more national geographic footprint.

The SEC is largely geographically isolated, while the Big 10 is aiming for a coast to coast conference.

The SEC could try to get into Big 10’s territory, but it doesn’t make sense to just grab one team. Grab Pitt and be done. Assuming Pitt makes financial sense for the SEC, the options probably only get worse after that, and Pitt probably isn’t a slam dunk financial option to start your ceiling at anyway. So whom else would the SEC grab?

kinda like when a baseball team really needs a top tier starting pitcher or something at the trade deadline. But the asking price is too great so not worth the benefit. So instead they double down on their strength, like a getting another top tier bullpen arm to go along with their already top tier bullpen.

It makes more sense for the SEC to take FSU and Clemson and better situated programs in the south, then try to add northern teams. The inventory available in the north is not going to be worth the price. The SEC waited too long if it wanted a more national geographic footprint.
The SEC missed there chance at grabbing some “northern“ teams when the Big 12 collapsed the first time, should have snagged Kansas and Nebraska to go along with A&M and Mizzou.

Sorry but Pitt would have to be a higher profile school for them to grab than ISU.
The SEC cares about profile?

Which is more alike? Pitt Miss State or Iowa State Miss State

its a moot point....but even if the SEC wanted to expand northward I highly doubt Pitt is in the top 5 candidates

its a moot point....but even if the SEC wanted to expand northward I highly doubt Pitt is in the top 5 candidates
And why is that? All everyone says is Pitt arent feasible, but never give a reason why. Tell me seriously what is the difference between MS, IS, teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Vandy. Minn, NCS, Miami, FSU, Kentucky, VT, Virginia or any of the others? What do they bring that Pitt doesnt?

It's funny pretty much all the money in the world hasn't really done much for the B10. Despite always getting a pass to the CFP they didn't win moe than the ACC. And the committee did everything they could to hand Michigan the NC this year by having them avoid FSU and Georgia and picking a subpar Alabama instead.

I'm OK wherever we land. We can still compete in whatever is leftover after the Big 2 finishes its conquest. Regardless of the money the more access you have the more competitive smaller conferences can become. The NCAAT has proven regardless of how much message board geniuses rips me for thinking it. History has shown that. Men's basketball used to be dominated by blue bloods winning it all every year. Last year you had 2 of the final four from outside the Big 5 and you have a lot more one offs than the UCLA, UNC. UK dynasties of past.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
It's funny pretty much all the money in the world hasn't really done much for the B10. Despite always getting a pass to the CFP they didn't win moe than the ACC. And the committee did everything they could to hand Michigan the NC this year by having them avoid FSU and Georgia and picking a subpar Alabama instead.

I'm OK wherever we land. We can still compete in whatever is leftover after the Big 2 finishes its conquest. Regardless of the money the more access you have the more competitive smaller conferences can become. The NCAAT has proven regardless of how much message board geniuses rips me for thinking it. History has shown that. Men's basketball used to be dominated by blue bloods winning it all every year. Last year you had 2 of the final four from outside the Big 5 and you have a lot more one offs than the UCLA, UNC. UK dynasties of past.

The new CFP format has, by its own context terms, a small window of years it sets out for the agreed format, before the sides get together and decide if they want to change it. It then has a realignment clause that automatically triggers a reassessment if schools change affiliation.

Those terms are there so the CFP can remove spots from smaller conferences as teams bail and join the Big 2. Even if your theory is correct, and it’s not. Access is going to continue to get more and more limited. The CFP playoff by its contractual terms has told you that.

Consider another Board Topic: Pitt's Value in Realignment Score:

Comparing those numbers to other teams mentioned:

Pitt: 181.9
Kansas State: 128.1
Mississippi State: 130.5
Iowa State: 137.1

Additionally for the SEC going North they would get a Large Population State.

Pennsylvania: 13 million
Kansas: 2.9 million
Mississippi: 2.9 million
Iowa: 3.2 million.

Additionally, looking at SEC teams with Values comparable to Pitt include:

Arkansas: 180.5
Auburn: 179.5
Kentucky: 172.7

Comparing State Populations:

Arkansas: 3 million
Alabama: 5 million
Kentucky: 4.5 million

Not saying Pitt is going to the SEC but they would have much more to offer than some people on this board think.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: lilspainishflea
Consider another Board Topic: Pitt's Value in Realignment Score:

Comparing those numbers to other teams mentioned:

Pitt: 181.9
Kansas State: 128.1
Mississippi State: 130.5
Iowa State: 137.1

Additionally for the SEC going North they would get a Large Population State.

Kansas: 2.9 million
Mississippi: 2.9 million
Iowa: 3.2 million.

Additionally, looking at SEC teams with Values comparable to Pitt include:

Arkansas: 180.5
Auburn: 179.5
Kentucky: 172.7

Comparing State Populations:

Arkansas: 3 million
Alabama: 5 million
Kentucky: 4.5 million

Not saying Pitt is going to the SEC but they would have much more to offer than some people on this board think.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
That is all true from a media market/reach perspecitive, except the SEC does not think like the B10.

They think very much like a Southern country club. They think more like Notre Dame, protecting what they believe makes them special. They have shown no interest in being a national conference, and they do not lack for money, nor would Pitt's addition likely bring them enough to justify distributing another full split (and they appear to have no interest in offering deals like those Washington and Oregon received from the B10).

That is all true from a media market/reach perspecitive, except the SEC does not think like the B10.

They think very much like a Southern country club. They think more like Notre Dame, protecting what they believe makes them special. They have shown no interest in being a national conference, and they do not lack for money, nor would Pitt's addition likely bring them enough to justify distributing another full split (and they appear to have no interest in offering deals like those Washington and Oregon received from the B10).
I know I might ruffle some feathers with this comment, but the southern guys I know and lived with for years acknowledge western PA and Pittsburgh as "northern"....... but kind of the hillbilly rustic version of what ever "Northern" is.

If Pitt gets the SEC country club guys regular rounds at Oakmont and some fox hunting at rolling rock we are SEC bound!

The new CFP format has, by its own context terms, a small window of years it sets out for the agreed format, before the sides get together and decide if they want to change it. It then has a realignment clause that automatically triggers a reassessment if schools change affiliation.

Those terms are there so the CFP can remove spots from smaller conferences as teams bail and join the Big 2. Even if your theory is correct, and it’s not. Access is going to continue to get more and more limited. The CFP playoff by its contractual terms has told you that.
Yeah, but this assumes fans will continue to pay for this shrinking base of college teams. No matter how much the SEC (and to some extent the B10) tries to elevate itself to the level of the NFL it won't get there because too many fans did go to the other colleges that the Big 2 keep winnowing out the picture. You can't just cut out the entire northeast TV market (more than half the nation's population) and expect to keep growing. It's not like the pros where you can add a Rutgers to a conference and expect an entire regional market to rally around them like they would an expansion pro team.

Basically the SEC and B10 are trying to compete with he NFL when all they provide are the large markets (Deep South and Midwest) traditionally outside the NFL foot print. Everyone already knows the next tv contract won't be the same since so many people are cutting cable and its recuring revenue streams. So in essense CBS, NBC and ESPN are destroying their own product by pushing a smaller group of (oddly fit) teams together (in unorthodox markets) at the expense of the rest of the country and their fans instead of broadening the fan base and elevating the whole sport by supporting some of the traditional college markets that don't happen to be in their current TV contracts.

Last edited:
Yeah, but this assumes fans will continue to pay for this shrinking base of college teams. No matter how much the SEC (and to some extent the B10) tries to elevate itself to the level of the NFL it won't get there because too many fans did go to the other colleges that the Big 2 keep winnowing out the picture. You can't just cut out the entire northeast TV market (more than half the nation's population) and expect to keep growing. It's not like the pros where you can add a Rutgers to a conference and expect an entire regional market to rally around them like they would an expansion pro team.

Basically the SEC and B10 are trying to compete with he NFL when all they provide are the large markets (Deep South and Midwest) traditionally outside the NFL foot print. Everyone already knows the next tv contract won't be the same since so many people are cutting cable and its recuring revenue streams. So in essense CBS, NBC and ESPN are destroying their own product by pushing a smaller group of (oddly fit) teams together (in unorthodox markets) at the expense of the rest of the country and their fans instead of broadening the fan base and elevating the whole sport by supporting some of the traditional college markets that don't happen to be in their current TV contrats.
I'll wait to see if what you are saying happens. I hope it does, but people continue to say they are "done" watching sports, whether it's the NFL, college football, etc, but don't follow through.

I know I haven't watched a game without Pitt or an ACC team in a while. But 99% of people don't do that. They'll still watch. They'll complain, but still watch.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
I'll wait to see if what you are saying happens. I hope it does, but people continue to say they are "done" watching sports, whether it's the NFL, college football, etc, but don't follow through.

I know I haven't watched a game without Pitt or an ACC team in a while. But 99% of people don't do that. They'll still watch. They'll complain, but still watch.
I think live sports are so valuable these days because everything else is streaming and can be watched at the viewers convenience. So I definitely agree the big networks will continue to flock to them and they will command the biggest contracts. I just don't think they will automatically double the next time they come up for review in 5-6 years for the B10 and SEC. That's the assumption the likes of FSU and Clemson are making when trying to break their contracts with ACC and ESPN.

People say they are "done" with sports for BS reasons like Kaep taking a knee. But when their team gets permanently shut out from competing at the highest level because of a cartel that locked in the best TV deal, that is a way more appropriate reason to stop watching.

I watch college FB because of Pitt and, to a lesser extent, to get a glimpse of the next big player before they hit the NFL. But there's no way I am watching 13+ regular season games between Ohio State, Oregon, LSU et al just because that's the highest level of college football competition. I am a Pitt fan first and a college football fan second. I suspect that's how many fans are. And for that reason, I think the mergers into 1 or 2 superconferences are likely to produce diminishing returns for these schools and the networks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gep Dawg
People say they are "done" with sports for BS reasons like Kaep taking a knee. But when their team gets permanently shut out from competing at the highest level because of a cartel that locked in the best TV deal, that is a way more appropriate reason to stop watching.

I watch college FB because of Pitt and, to a lesser extent, to get a glimpse of the next big player before they hit the NFL. But there's no way I am watching 13+ regular season games between Ohio State, Oregon, LSU et al just because that's the highest level of college football competition. I am a Pitt fan first and a college football fan second. I suspect that's how many fans are. And for that reason, I think the mergers into 1 or 2 superconferences are likely to produce diminishing returns for these schools and the networks.
I think the B1G, SEC and networks are setting themselves up for the same issues MLB, NBA and NHL have. If I don't have a team, my team has no chance or winning, or my team was eliminated from playoff contention, I'm not watching.

I'm the same way as you. And I currently do what you are saying since 2021 when Texas and OU went to the SEC (announced at least) and I knew the dominoes that would follow.

Unfortunately, I think there are far more just "casual" fans that want to view the "big game" hyped by the networks than follow their own team or walk away. Time will tell. I kind of hope 10 years from now people will look back and say "WTF did those idiots do to college athletics", but I doubt that will happen.

I think the B1G, SEC and networks are setting themselves up for the same issues MLB, NBA and NHL have. If I don't have a team, my team has no chance or winning, or my team was eliminated from playoff contention, I'm not watching.

Yet Networks are dumping a ton of cash into those leagues (maybe not the NHL so much).

Bingo. One of the huge drivers in the NFL's success is that every team plausibly has a shot. And even if you don't, there are a variety of offseason activities (draft and free agency) which are created in a way to materially improve the worst teams at the expense of the best teams.

What is the motivation for an Oregon State or Pitt fan to watch LSU-Oklahoma? To watch better football? I'll just watch the NFL. At least there my team isn't locked out from the Super Bowl because it didn't make the right group of friends back when Grover Cleveland was President.

I am a Pitt fan first and a college football fan second. I suspect that's how many fans are. And for that reason, I think the mergers into 1 or 2 superconferences are likely to produce diminishing returns for these schools and the networks.
This post crushes it.

My school is and will likely stay on the outside looking in. My school can no longer compete with the Big 2. The sense of a level playing field....driven by a one-two punch of unleashed NIL and huge TV deals has created a sport that is so imbalanced that it becomes frustrating to watch.

This is why I now am a bigger NFL fan than i am college football fan. The NFL is structured so that EVERY team has a window to succeed. College ball no longer has this.

So....my school is on the outside looking in, and i am not interested in following the sport with anywhere near the passion i had.

What the networks are going to find out, is there are millions of fans like me, in the same boat as me, that just wont tune in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT