ADVERTISEMENT

Update: AT&T SportsNet is ceasing operations

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Both them and Bally Sports are having difficulties making payments to some of their contacted teams, and the Pirates are one of them. The missing amount are significant to worry about the “long-term viability of the network.” The MLB is prepared to step-in in the event the channels go under. No word on if/how this affects the Pens, however.

I will never understand why the Pirates and Penguins don't start a network which they each own 50% of. Charge all the cable customers $5/month or whatever that fee is now and ride into the sunset. Why do they need the middleman?

We should have seen this coming when AT&T couldn't afford to send 2 cameramen and 2 announcers to Acrisure for the WPIAL and were the only ACC market to not buy the ACC syndicated package.

I will never understand why the Pirates and Penguins don't start a network which they each own 50% of. Charge all the cable customers $5/month or whatever that fee is now and ride into the sunset. Why do they need the middleman?

We should have seen this coming when AT&T couldn't afford to send 2 cameramen and 2 announcers to Acrisure for the WPIAL and were the only ACC market to not buy the ACC syndicated package.
Not a bad idea, but I think RSNs are quickly becoming obsolete anyways. It sounds like we’re moving towards some type of model that is controlled by the leagues (MLB, NBA, NHL) and distributed directly to consumers. Whether that’s still in the form of a linear channel or a pure streaming service remains to be seen.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Not a bad idea, but I think RSNs are quickly becoming obsolete anyways. It sounds like we’re moving towards some type of model that is controlled by the leagues (MLB, NBA, NHL) and distributed directly to consumers. Whether that’s still in the form of a linear channel or a pure streaming service remains to be seen.
The way technology is advancing, I'm guessing that once you purchase the equipment, the production costs aren't that high. Are camera men really needed in baseball? I'm thinking about 6 strategically placed unmanned cameras would be able to be used to broadcast 90% of the game.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The way technology is advancing, I'm guessing that once you purchase the equipment, the production costs aren't that high. Are camera men really needed in baseball? I'm thinking about 6 strategically placed unmanned cameras would be able to be used to broadcast 90% of the game.
i still think you need the human element. a game produced by 6-8 strategically located cameras would come off bad i think. even if you have a guy in the production trailer changing the views.

is having a few guys carrying and aiming cameras really the issue though?? i doubt that cost is the straw that broke the came's back.

i still think you need the human element. a game produced by 6-8 strategically located cameras would come off bad i think. even if you have a guy in the production trailer changing the views.

is having a few guys carrying and aiming cameras really the issue though?? i doubt that cost is the straw that broke the came's back.
I didn't mean only 6 to 8 strategically placed cameras. I'm thinking you would have a couple of manned ones.

I don't know the cost structure of broadcasting a game. But after the equipment, I'd think that labor would be the biggest expense. But as you said, that is likely not the root of the issue. Poor management of the network is likely the culprit.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
not enough west virginia high school football games to attract more viewers and more money..

The best was when everyone was saying HS games were too costly for the WPIAL to produce on their own and yet a week later, ATTSN has wall to wall coverage of the WV Championships live from the Las Vegas of the Tri-State Ohio River Valley, WHEELING!

MLS just did this. They told their teams not to renegotiate with RSNs a few years back so that they got back all their content and sold EVERY game to Apple TV as a full package as stream-only. They then bid out a 2nd package of national TV games to Fox but the streaming rights are still owned by Apple.

I would think a team like the Yankees would hate this model as they're raking it in with YES. Other teams own their own networks also. Dodgers, Twins, Mets, etc. Yinzers still have to watch the Pirates and Pens. I dont see how a joint network wouldn't be hugely successful for them. They can then do a bit of HS sports programming and write it off as community goodwill.

Zeldas had a good response regarding the need for a human element, but I’d say it’s theoretically possible. On a smaller scale, the NFHS distributes AI-controller cameras to high schools that allows them to autonomously produce sports broadcasts. The idea (and technology) certainly is there.

Reactions: pittdan77

Yep. MLB could charge a decent amount as a direct streaming option as opposed to whatever they get per month currently from the likes of Comcast. Charge 100 for the season to watch your own team, more if you want access to all games. Prorate as the season goes on so it’s less if you only want September and beyond. I’d think they’d make a killing. And they could still get revenue from the cable providers, etc… But would be great for those who only use streaming.

Edit: I assumed they already did this.

Last edited:
I said that there’s been no word on whether the NHL/Pens have been affected, but judging by this comment from the leagues, it appears that they’re prepared for the worst case scenario as well:

regional sports networks. TV lingo for ya. This is actually a great opportunity for SMFN to step in and scoop up those Bucco TV rights. 1st order of business is hiring these 2 announcers:

The Orioles and Nationals co-own MASN, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, they both broadcast most of their games there and also on local network affiliates, offseason they show all kinds on college sports, like ACC games not on ACCN or ESPN, or mid major leagues, soccer, sometimes hockey. It's included in a sports package with the various cable providers.

The Orioles and Nationals co-own MASN, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, they both broadcast most of their games there and also on local network affiliates, offseason they show all kinds on college sports, like ACC games not on ACCN or ESPN, or mid major leagues, soccer, sometimes hockey. It's included in a sports package with the various cable providers.

I didn't realize they owned that. Looked it up. Orioles own 77%. Nationals 23%.

This is the model though. Completely stupid for the Pens and Pirates to outsource their games to someone else's network. Start your own. Heck, they should honestly call it KBL.

Question for those on the know:
Pitt’s Beyond the Script and Pat Narduzzi and Jeff Capel shows were not carried by ATTSN, yet WVU, Duquesne and cesspool programming were broadcast this past seasons. If ATTSN could air those schools’ programming, why not Pitt/ACC programming??

I didn't realize they owned that. Looked it up. Orioles own 77%. Nationals 23%.

This is the model though. Completely stupid for the Pens and Pirates to outsource their games to someone else's network. Start your own. Heck, they should honestly call it KBL.
Didn’t the former Expos have to buy into MASN as part of the move to DC?

Wasn’t forming a RSN one or the reasons Burkle/Mario were looking to buying the Buccos, which sadly weren’t for sale.

We laugh about it, but it's a damn shame that they don't televise more local high school sports - even if it's just the WPIAL football playoffs, basketball, or the WPIAL wrestling tournament(s).
SMF was spot on with them not covering the wpial championship games. not sure why everyone blasted him for it.

Question for those on the know:
Pitt’s Beyond the Script and Pat Narduzzi and Jeff Capel shows were not carried by ATTSN, yet WVU, Duquesne and cesspool programming were broadcast this past seasons. If ATTSN could air those schools’ programming, why not Pitt/ACC programming??

Those schools either a) buy air time on ATTSN for this or b) just give ATTSN the shows for free and ATTSN doesn't charge airtime.

If Pitt wanted to give ATTSN a Bball show, football show, women's lacrosse show for free, they'd gladly air it.

Those schools either a) buy air time on ATTSN for this or b) just give ATTSN the shows for free and ATTSN doesn't charge airtime.

If Pitt wanted to give ATTSN a Bball show, football show, women's lacrosse show for free, they'd gladly air it.
They most likely buy time, ATTSN isn’t giving away airtime when they can get money for running an infomercial or sporting event/program that buys time.

Well, it might end up fortunate that the Pens are having such a subpar season.

As for the Pirates… tree falls in the woods…

The Penguins almost did start their own network way back in the late 90s when Mario’s group was going through the process of acquiring the team. They actually had a deal in place with Armstrong Cable, which was mostly done for leverage over Fox Sports Pittsburgh, but they were prepared to go through with it had Fox not stepped up and paid the rights fee that the team and the bankruptcy judge wanted.

Both them and Bally Sports are having difficulties making payments to some of their contacted teams, and the Pirates are one of them.

The Bally's situation is a little different. They missed interest payments to their creditors this month. It is almost certain that by this time next month they will be in bankruptcy. Once they get to bankruptcy they will have the opportunity to either affirm their contracts with the teams, drop those contracts entirely, or attempt to renegotiate the deals. Their most likely course would be a mix of the three, depending on the particular team.

It is possible that Warner Discovery gets to the same point eventually, but they aren't there now. They just (most likely) want to be rid of the three AT&T channels and this is a first step to make that happen.

The Bally's situation is a little different. They missed interest payments to their creditors this month. It is almost certain that by this time next month they will be in bankruptcy. Once they get to bankruptcy they will have the opportunity to either affirm their contracts with the teams, drop those contracts entirely, or attempt to renegotiate the deals. Their most likely course would be a mix of the three, depending on the particular team.

It is possible that Warner Discovery gets to the same point eventually, but they aren't there now. They just (most likely) want to be rid of the three AT&T channels and this is a first step to make that happen.
Thanks for the context. Good post.

Thanks for the context. Good post.

When Bally's (technically Diamond Sports) bought up all those RSNs they did so in large part with debt. Relatively speaking they put very little cash in the deal, most of the money they paid was with loans. And they missed the interest payments on those loans a couple days ago. The rumors are that they are going to declare bankruptcy sometime next week, because they simply cannot generate enough cash to pay for all the debt they took on.

I wonder what their situation would look like today without the pandemic basically completely wrecking their cash flow for more than a year. Maybe they wouldn't be in this position. Maybe it would have just put off something that would have been inevitable anyway.

I can't believe it, but this is another one of those rare opportunities for me to agree with SMF.

• Haha
Reactions: srpst23
When Bally's (technically Diamond Sports) bought up all those RSNs they did so in large part with debt. Relatively speaking they put very little cash in the deal, most of the money they paid was with loans. And they missed the interest payments on those loans a couple days ago. The rumors are that they are going to declare bankruptcy sometime next week, because they simply cannot generate enough cash to pay for all the debt they took on.

I wonder what their situation would look like today without the pandemic basically completely wrecking their cash flow for more than a year. Maybe they wouldn't be in this position. Maybe it would have just put off something that would have been inevitable anyway.

The irony is that when Disney bought 21st Century Fox, the RSNs came with it but the government made ESPN sell them off because they love interfering in the sports and entertainment business. Nothing better to do I guess. Wont touch NIL though.

The irony is that when Disney bought 21st Century Fox, the RSNs came with it but the government made ESPN sell them off because they love interfering in the sports and entertainment business. Nothing better to do I guess. Wont touch NIL though.
Disney owning ESPN and most of the RSN's shouldn't have been allowed, the government was correct in forcing them to sell.

Why should the government get involved with NIL? Someone making money off their name shouldn't be regulated, plus the Supreme Court would strike down any regulation of it.

I would think the Pens and even the Pirates would be valuable commodities to a sports network. The Pens routinely lead cable ratings in all US markets across the regional sports networks. And the Pirates ratings are not bad considering how overall bad they have been.

Before I cut the cable and went to Hulu Verizon tried to give me a deal for TV. In their breakdown at the time several years ago they had $8.99 sports fee. When I asked what that was it was only for ATTN. to me paying that much just to have crappy Pirate games and some Penguin games was crazy. My guess is with more and more cutting cable that has helped lead to their issues if not the main culprit

Reactions: mike 301
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT