ADVERTISEMENT

Update: AT&T SportsNet is ceasing operations

This is both hilarious and sad at the same time. It's time for the two local teams who predominantly play on cable to become creative.
In the glory days of the early 90's, that's what KBL was. They worked with all the local teams to produce tons of creative programming and revenue streams. None of it worked. Here's the dirty little secret. The PGH market isn't as strong as some think it is. Our reputation for sports loyalty is greater than the reality. Local team loyalty is diminishing in favor of betting interests. The days of a million Pittsburghers tuning in to see any programming at all about the 3rd string Steeler long snapper or a "where are they now" segment about Tim Foli are gone.

If it required some type of subscription, how much would you guys be willing to pay to see the Pens and Pirates?

Personally I don’t think I would spend more than $1 per month.

In the glory days of the early 90's, that's what KBL was. They worked with all the local teams to produce tons of creative programming and revenue streams. None of it worked. Here's the dirty little secret. The PGH market isn't as strong as some think it is. Our reputation for sports loyalty is greater than the reality. Local team loyalty is diminishing in favor of betting interests. The days of a million Pittsburghers tuning in to see any programming at all about the 3rd string Steeler long snapper or a "where are they now" segment about Tim Foli are gone.
That's not just Pittsburgh, it's not the early 90's the RSN's make more money running infomercials and "sports" programming like poker or drone racing that's paid time so basically an infomercial.

If it required some type of subscription, how much would you guys be willing to pay to see the Pens and Pirates?

i'd pay the same as i do these dumb streaming services like netflix, paramount Plus, etc. so Lord knows what they are even charging me now, 10 bucks a month maybe..

I'd absolutely pay 15 bucks a month (reluctantly) to watch the pirates/pens.

There’s been rumblings that the MLB, NBA, and NHL want to create a joint steaming service for all the non-national games. If there’s 92 teams involved, you have to think that they could reduce the subscription cost due to scale.

Last edited:
One thing to think about here, the Pirates President Travis Williams was the longtime COO of the Pens and probably understands the financial landscape of what Fenway Franchise Group is up against. I could easily see a joint venture between both the Pens and Pirates.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
There’s been rumblings that the MLB, NBA, and NHL want to create a join steaming service for all the non-national games. If there’s 92 teams involved, you have to think that they could reduce the subscription cost due to scale.
It would be the best way to grow those sports. One of the reason college football has grown so much is that they have made the content widely available. A young little leaguer not going to grow up a fan of the game being forced to watch the crappy Pirates. This is especially true in areas with no home team like the NBA in Pittsburgh. You not going to grow a fan only being able to see a team play a few times a year.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

I’m subscriberd out. I already pay enough for tv. There was talk about the Super Bowl going to a ppv model. Every once I a while it’s mentioned for NFL games. No thanks, I’ll just catch what I can on “regular” tv. Already a pass on Prime Video. Seems that’s where everything is going, but this old man yelling at clouds will be left behind.

I’m subscriberd out. I already pay enough for tv. There was talk about the Super Bowl going to a ppv model. Every once I a while it’s mentioned for NFL games. No thanks, I’ll just catch what I can on “regular” tv. Already a pass on Prime Video. Seems that’s where everything is going, but this old man yelling at clouds will be left behind.
The Super Bowl will never go ppv, the networks are never giving that cash cow up.

Reactions: pittdan77 and 4382
I don't watch the Pirates and they're free. What's the point?
As we all know :) I don't watch any baseball, as for hockey, I'll watch the Pens, when they are on national TV, even then, not every time, so no need to pay for any hockey package, 8-10 Pens games per year is enough for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT