ADVERTISEMENT

Updated ACC Baseball Tournament Standings

California Panther

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
12 make it, 2 stay home--Division leaders get the first 2 spots, then the next 10 gets spots, and the last 2 get left out.

Right now, Pitt has a 2-win edge over #13 VT (Pitt has 9 games left and VT only has 6 games left to play) and Pitt has a 4-win edge and the tie-breaker over #14 BC (Pitt has 9 left and BC only 6). Pitt has NEVER qualified to participate in the ACC Baseball Tournament!

Pitt also has 3-game series coming up against both other 10 win teams (at ND this weekend and UL at home).

One advantage Pitt has over many of the other teams that Pitt is competing with for the final spots is that Pitt has 9 ACC games left to try to get wins in while many of the others only have 6 ACC games left.

Listed by wins:

Division Leaders
18 UNC
17 Clemson

Next 10
15 NC State
15 Duke
13 FSU
11 WF, GT, Miami
10 UL, PITT, ND
9 UVA

--------------------------------------------------------
Bottom 2 (don't get invited)
8 VT
6 BC

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
12 make it, 2 stay home--Division leaders get the first 2 spots, then the next 10 gets spots, and the last 2 get left out.

Right now, Pitt has a 2-win edge over #13 VT (Pitt has 9 games left and VT only has 6 games left to play) and Pitt has a 4-win edge and the tie-breaker over #14 BC (Pitt has 9 left and BC only 6). Pitt has NEVER qualified to participate in the ACC Baseball Tournament!

Pitt also has 3-game series coming up against both other 10 win teams (at ND this weekend and UL at home).

One advantage Pitt has over many of the other teams that Pitt is competing with for the final spots is that Pitt has 9 ACC games left to try to get wins in while many of the others only have 6 ACC games left.

Listed by wins:

Division Leaders
18 UNC
17 Clemson

Next 10
15 NC State
15 Duke
13 FSU
11 WF, GT, Miami
10 UL, PITT, ND
9 UVA

--------------------------------------------------------
Bottom 2 (don't get invited)
8 VT
6 BC

What do you think Pitt needs to do the rest of the way to make the NCAAT? I say beat the 3 terrible teams (UMES, UMES, PSU) and go 7-2 vs ND, Lou, Clem. That would be near impossible but just saying

What do you think Pitt needs to do the rest of the way to make the NCAAT? I say beat the 3 terrible teams (UMES, UMES, PSU) and go 7-2 vs ND, Lou, Clem. That would be near impossible but just saying

With our ridiculously poor non-conference SOS (that is only going to get much worse by playing three games against teams that are 9-35, 9-35 and 9-28) even doing that would probably require several wins at the ACC tournament.

Under your scenario we'd end up 16-17 against teams in the RPI top 150 and 17-2 against teams with RPIs greater than 150. Would the NCAA really want to reward a team for something like that?

I would say we'd have to win the ACC tourney. RPI not close to high enough.

Baby steps--let's just qualify for the ACCT for the first time ever, then worry about the NCAAT later.

With our ridiculously poor non-conference SOS (that is only going to get much worse by playing three games against teams that are 9-35, 9-35 and 9-28) even doing that would probably require several wins at the ACC tournament.

Under your scenario we'd end up 16-17 against teams in the RPI top 150 and 17-2 against teams with RPIs greater than 150. Would the NCAA really want to reward a team for something like that?

Comes down to RPI though. If we did finish 10-2, going 4-2 vs Lou/Clem, I'd guess our RPI would be in the 40s/50s.

"Sean Miller Fan, post: 2299325, member: 704"]Comes down to RPI though. If we did finish 10-2, going 4-2 vs Lou/Clem, I'd guess our RPI would be in the 40s/50s.[/QUOTE]

Without running the numbers I think you are guessing way too high. Our strength of schedule from here on out is not significantly better than it has been to this point, because three of our 12 remaining games are against teams who have absolutely awful records.

Keep in mind that we went on the road and took two of three from Miami and our RPI didn't improve even one spot. The more games you play the less your RPI is going to move. And we've already played 40 on our way to (assuming no rainouts) 52. So, for instance, every single win is worth significantly less than a win for a basketball team at this point in the season would be, and even in basketball teams' RPIs don't change much towards the end of the season.

Right now our RPI is 97. After these next two games, even if we win, we are going to probably be somewhere in the 110s. That's what playing a schedule like ours leads to.

Baby steps--let's just qualify for the ACCT for the first time ever, then worry about the NCAAT later.

Two years ago ten teams made the ACC tournament. All ten of them made the NCAA tournament. If you finish in the top 10 in the ACC and you have a winning record then you are almost certainly at least a team that will be discussed for the NCAA tournament.

Unless you play a non-conference schedule like we do.

Reactions: California Panther

Two years ago ten teams made the ACC tournament. All ten of them made the NCAA tournament. If you finish in the top 10 in the ACC and you have a winning record then you are almost certainly at least a team that will be discussed for the NCAA tournament.

Unless you play a non-conference schedule like we do.

Interesting. I wonder how many times an ACC team finished in the Top 10 of the ACC and didn't make the NCAAT. I seem to remember UNC being left out with a good record a few years ago

Interesting. I wonder how many times an ACC team finished in the Top 10 of the ACC and didn't make the NCAAT. I seem to remember UNC being left out with a good record a few years ago

Last year the ACC tournament had 12 teams and "only" seven got invited to the NCAA tournament. Part of that would be due to three teams, BC, Notre Dame and Georgia Tech making the ACC tournament but ending the season with under .500 records. Duke was 2 games over .500 and Miami was 4 games over .500 and neither of them made it either.

It's unfortunate we play team's like St. Peters, UMES, LIU Brooklyn, Oakland etc.. There is really no excuse to fly to Florida and play St. Peters and Mass.. We have a scrappy team that has proven they can beat anyone. In baseball that is all you ask considering the sport has so much parity. Something they are doing this year is winning some close games. With that being said, we decide to play a schedule that bites us back down the stretch.

Our only shot of making the tourney includes winning our next 3 series and making a little run in the tourney.

For perspective, on Tuesday night we played UMES while WVU and Maryland played..

It's unfortunate we play team's like St. Peters, UMES, LIU Brooklyn, Oakland etc.. There is really no excuse to fly to Florida and play St. Peters and Mass.. We have a scrappy team that has proven they can beat anyone. In baseball that is all you ask considering the sport has so much parity. Something they are doing this year is winning some close games. With that being said, we decide to play a schedule that bites us back down the stretch.

Our only shot of making the tourney includes winning our next 3 series and making a little run in the tourney.

For perspective, on Tuesday night we played UMES while WVU and Maryland played..

Pitt doesn't schedule to make the NCAAT.

Pitt doesn't schedule to make the NCAAT.

Right, they schedule to puff their record up with as many wins as possible, because the person who makes the schedule is the guy who would lose his job if the record isn't good enough.

I have a feeling that person's current boss isn't going to fall for that for very long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT