Updated Post-Gazette Dixon article by Zeise

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
Reports: Pitt's Jamie Dixon considering head coach job at TCU
March 20, 2016 9:13 PM

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon talks to the press on Thursday before Pitt faced Wisconsin in the NCAA tournament at Scottrade Center in St. Louis. According to CBS Sports, Dixon is being considered for the head coach position at TCU, his alma mater.

Parrish, citing sources inside the TCU athletic department, wrote that the school has made Dixon their top candidate for the job.

Dixon did not return phone calls Sunday night and Pitt athletic director Scott Barnes did not respond to text messages.

A Pitt athletic department spokesman released a statement Sunday night, saying, “It is our practice to not make statements regarding other institutions’ coaching searches. So we will respectfully decline comment.”

Several people around the department and others who who know Dixon said he has a good relationship with TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte, and that has resulted in some discussions between the two, though some were skeptical if Dixon was seriously considering the offer

Dixon was instrumental in reaching out to Del Conte and getting TCU into the Big East Conference in 2011, but the league then fell apart and TCU found a home in the Big 12.

Dixon’s ability to seek other jobs is limited, though, by his contract with Pitt, which runs through 2023 and has a buyout that is believed to be in the $10 million range. Dixon makes about $3.2 million per year, according to tax documents the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette obtained in May 2015.

That would mean in order to sign him to a similar deal — five years is a typical length for a contract — TCU would have to pay, between the contract and buyout, about $26 million to get him.

But Parrish, citing sources, wrote that money will not be an obstacle for TCU and that they will pony up to hire Dixon and make sure he doesn’t take less money.

Pitt is coming off a tough loss to Wisconsin in the NCAA tournament, and several people around Dixon said he has felt the criticism from fans and media members and knows he has become a victim of his own success.

The position at Pitt also is different than the one he took in 2003 because the Panthers are in the ACC not the Big East and he has admitted that the transition has been a little tougher and taken a little longer than he first anticipated.

Still, one source close to the situation said that while Dixon “hears and reads what people are saying,” the source believed it is “unlikely” Dixon is going to take the job, considering what Dixon has built at Pitt and what it would take to be competitive in Fort Worth.

TCU fired Trent Johnson after four seasons in which he was 50-79 overall and 8-64 in Big 12 games, which is the lowest winning percentage for a coach (.111 in B games) in conference history.

The Horned Frogs also have not made it to the NCAA tournament since 1998 and have played in the tournament only seven times in their history.

And since 2000, the Horned Frogs have been to the postseason only twice — the 2005 NIT and the 2012 CBI.

Dixon played at TCU from 1984-87.

So pretty much the same bs we deal with every offseason?

Maybe Dixon has a self confidence issue and needs these schools to coddle and make him feel loved?

Reactions: PittPoker

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon talks to the press on Thursday before Pitt faced Wisconsin in the NCAA tournament at Scottrade Center in St. Louis. According to CBS Sports, Dixon is being considered for the head coach position at TCU, his alma mater.
Pitt is coming off a tough loss to Wisconsin in the NCAA tournament, and several people around Dixon said he has felt the criticism from fans and media members and knows he has become a victim of his own success.

The position at Pitt also is different than the one he took in 2003 because the Panthers are in the ACC not the Big East and he has admitted that the transition has been a little tougher and taken a little longer than he first anticipated.

Still, one source close to the situation said that while Dixon “hears and reads what people are saying,” the source believed it is “unlikely” Dixon is going to take the job, considering what Dixon has built at Pitt and what it would take to be competitive in Fort Worth.

TCU fired Trent Johnson after four seasons in which he was 50-79 overall and 8-64 in Big 12 games, which is the lowest winning percentage for a coach (.111 in B games) in conference history.

The Horned Frogs also have not made it to the NCAA tournament since 1998 and have played in the tournament only seven times in their history.

And since 2000, the Horned Frogs have been to the postseason only twice — the 2005 NIT and the 2012 CBI.

Paul Zeise: pzeise@post-gazette.com and Twitter @paulzeise.

Did your keyboard and monitor (or device) survive?

So pretty much the same bs we deal with every offseason?

Maybe Dixon has a self confidence issue and needs these schools to coddle and make him feel loved?

My understanding is that he always takes these meetings as a courtesy. For example, he met with Oregon a while back, but it was never serious.

My understanding is that he always takes these meetings as a courtesy. For example, he met with Oregon a while back, but it was never serious.
It was awful courteous of him to take those pay raises that coincided with said interviews.

It was awful courteous of him to take those pay raises that coincided with said interviews.

No doubt. But some of the meetings are more serious than others.

I really don't know if this one is serious or not. I think TCU is serious. I don't know if Dixon is. But I don't think this is about getting a raise, regardless.

No doubt. But some of the meetings are more serious than others.

I really don't know if this one is serious or not. I think TCU is serious. I don't know if Dixon is. But I don't think this is about getting a raise, regardless.
How could he even think of wanting another raise with his string of mediocre teams and early exits?

Just love that dunk by Blair, the crowd going crazy - wish that was still happening.

My favorite Pitt player ever. No one else even close.

And not for nothing the last 2 games in the Pete his last year - against Marquette and UConn - best regular season sporting events I've ever been to. The Pete almost felt like it was shaking.

This little clip is exactly what we have been missing from our point guards in years now

This little clip is exactly what we have been missing from our point guards in years now

Maybe from our PG's, but Lamar made that same pass to Zanna about 10 times in his senior year. As good a passer as Levance was, I think Lamar was the best pure passer in the Howland/Dixon era.

That clip just reminded me so much of an LP play.

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Parrish, citing sources inside the TCU athletic department, wrote that the school has made Dixon their top candidate for the job.

Dixon did not return phone calls Sunday night and Pitt athletic director Scott Barnes did not respond to text messages.

A Pitt athletic department spokesman released a statement Sunday night, saying, “It is our practice to not make statements regarding other institutions’ coaching searches. So we will respectfully decline comment.”

Several people around the department and others who who know Dixon said he has a good relationship with TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte, and that has resulted in some discussions between the two, though some were skeptical if Dixon was seriously considering the offer

Dixon was instrumental in reaching out to Del Conte and getting TCU into the Big East Conference in 2011, but the league then fell apart and TCU found a home in the Big 12.

Dixon’s ability to seek other jobs is limited, though, by his contract with Pitt, which runs through 2023 and has a buyout that is believed to be in the $10 million range. Dixon makes about $3.2 million per year, according to tax documents the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette obtained in May 2015.

That would mean in order to sign him to a similar deal — five years is a typical length for a contract — TCU would have to pay, between the contract and buyout, about $26 million to get him.

But Parrish, citing sources, wrote that money will not be an obstacle for TCU and that they will pony up to hire Dixon and make sure he doesn’t take less money.

Funny thing this perception phenomena.

TCU hasn't been to the NCAA in 18 years and has gone 50-79 over the past 4 years. Their fan base sees Jamie as a savior and would break the bank to land him.

Pitt has gone to the NCAA 11 out of 13 years with a coach who has one of the highest winning percentages in college hoops. A large part of Pitt's fan base sees Jamie as a bum who has forgotten how to coach and who wants him gone now.

Two different perceptions of the same person.

Last edited:
Maybe from our PG's, but Lamar made that same pass to Zanna about 10 times in his senior year. As good a passer as Levance was, I think Lamar was the best pure passer in the Howland/Dixon era.

That clip just reminded me so much of an LP play.
Hmmm, I'd still take Levance by a hair over Lamar. Levance was awesome.

Last clip for tonight - Pitt at home abusing Depaul, Blair nice dunk!!

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

I don't see millionaires as victims.

TCU is leaking his interest.....Fanning the flames is their only leverage in any buyout negotiation. Pitt should call the bluff. Make their big donars pay to get him. Not sure how it will end but if he does go there TCU will be writing a big check to Pitt.

Watch for any reports form Andy Katz. He is Dixons usual mouthpiece in the national media.

"Dixon said he has felt the criticism from fans and media members and knows he has become a victim of his own success."

And let me ask you, it was nice in the beginning to win the BE Tourney and get to the Final 8 and a play away from the Final Four, but is 11 out of 13 years in Tourney and never to the Final Four really success. Two time coach of the year, and never made the Final Four? With all the backing of Nordy, Smiley and the Pete? Success? Just one time to the Final Four, and he'd be safely ensconced in his office at the Pete forever. It's Final Four or bust at Pitt ~ and Jamie ain't the leprechaun to get us there.

"Dixon said he has felt the criticism from fans and media members and knows he has become a victim of his own success."

And let me ask you, it was nice in the beginning to win the BE Tourney and get to the Final 8 and a play away from the Final Four, but is 11 out of 13 years in Tourney and never to the Final Four really success. Two time coach of the year, and never made the Final Four? With all the backing of Nordy, Smiley and the Pete? Success? Just one time to the Final Four, and he'd be safely ensconced in his office at the Pete forever. It's Final Four or bust at Pitt ~ and Jamie ain't the leprechaun to get us there.
He has one Elite 8 and a CBI ring.

One thing you have to be wary of with some of these schools and comments from boosters of these schools. They think more highly of their schools than what is reality. "We got a deal". "We can pay the buyout". "He played here". "We are committed to building a big time program". OKAY. SURE. But you haven't.

Aside from Jamie playing at TCU, why I can see TCU having more cache than a lot of these jobs is that Dallas-Ft Worth is not Stillwater. It is not Starkville. And....Jamie getting TCU to a 20 win season and NCAA berth he would be god down there.

One thing you have to be wary of with some of these schools and comments from boosters of these schools. They think more highly of their schools than what is reality. "We got a deal". "We can pay the buyout". "He played here". "We are committed to building a big time program". OKAY. SURE. But you haven't.

Aside from Jamie playing at TCU, why I can see TCU having more cache than a lot of these jobs is that Dallas-Ft Worth is not Stillwater. It is not Starkville. And....Jamie getting TCU to a 20 win season and NCAA berth he would be god down there.
Plus there would be little pressure on Jamie at TCU. He would be in heaven there because TCU never even makes the tournament. Just get the program in the dance a few seasons and he'd be treated like a king. We on the other hand, have been there done that and want a different kind of success now.

Plus there would be little pressure on Jamie at TCU. He would be in heaven there because TCU never even makes the tournament. Just get the program in the dance a few seasons and he'd be treated like a king. We on the other hand, have been there done that and want a different kind of success now.
Disagree he'd be the 25 million dollar coach .A lot of moola you want results .
Watching Blair highlights enforces my contention in recruiting one doesn't need to get a 6'10 center to be successful. Under sizes guys with bulk can get the job done. Miss those tough Pitt teams . Back to the future.

Funny thing this perception phenomena.

TCU hasn't been to the NCAA in 18 years and has gone 50-79 over the past 4 years. Their fan base sees Jamie as a savior and would break the bank to land him.

Pitt has gone to the NCAA 11 out of 13 years with a coach who has one of the highest winning percentages in college hoops. A large part of Pitt's fan base sees Jamie as a bum who has forgotten how to coach and who wants him gone now.

Two different perceptions of the same person.

Yep, and both are dead wrong. Dixon is certainly not a savior and he definitely has his warts. However, the people that are gleefully pushing him out the door are sheer idiots who are too young to have lived through the mostly dark days of Pitt basketball, too old to remember them, or too stupid to realize that we could easily go back to those days with a bad coaching hire or two.

In other words, our basketball DNA is much more similar to Rutgers than it is Duke. People would be well served to understand that reality.

I certainly have my concerns about the state of the program and its direction. Our recruiting has clearly fallen off to some degree – the only question is how much?

Also, once you lose recruiting momentum it can be very difficult to regain. Plenty of excellent coaches have lost recruiting momentum at one school, been forced out at that school, and regained it somewhere else. That could easily happen in this instance as well.

Personally, I am conservative when it comes to personnel decisions. My own personal experiences have taught me that you are almost always better off with the devil you know – particularly when that "devil" has been as successful as Dixon has been throughout the majority of his tenure at the University of Pittsburgh.

Replacing someone like that with someone better – and who is willing to come here – is not a snap of one's fingers like so many presume it to be. That doesn't mean it can't be done – it certainly can be done. However, it is far from guaranteed.

I guess I'm just warning that people should be very careful what they wish for here because they just might get it, and it may not be quite what they bargained for.

Just love that dunk by Blair, the crowd going crazy - wish that was still happening.
You mean you don't like watching the OTHER team dunk and celebrate @ the Pete while a Pitt front court player files his nails nearby? Yeah those were the days brother. That crowd was off the chain too.

Your blind hatred of Dixon really clouds your judgment and opinions.

Do you REALLY think they're going to pay him that kind of money and there will be little pressure? He may get a year or 2 just because they're currently one of the worst P5 jobs but after that he'll be just like any other coach. Particularly the ones that are highly compensated.

How many people here have noted the return on investment here? Do you honestly think that eventually that won't be the same at TCU? Please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT