ADVERTISEMENT

Upon Further Review Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
1. The psychology of us fans is bizarre. Say for instance that the halves were reversed and we came of the gate limping down by 21 and came back to score 28 unanswered and run through YSU, we'd all have a different feeling. We'd say we finally woke up. But reverse it and it seems like there is massive depression about the upcoming week.

2. We essentially ran two running formations and 3 passing formations. Lots of heavy overloads on the power runs and the jet sweeps. Seriously this has to be such a small % of the playbook. You can question the wisdom of that but regardless you still won.

3. With these offenses today, it's extremely difficult to hold teams down unless your Bama. Just a fact. If you look at the game stats, the formula to win is there. Control the ball and the clock with your running game and force turnovers. Yards between the 20's is a given so no need to stress over it.

4. This coaching staff has been unafraid to make changes and sit players if they aren't performing. People need to stop worrying about a kid's High School performance because it's irrelevant. If Hamlin or Ford for example were the best options they would be out there. Period. A few years ago coach put in Nate Peterman for Voytik and everyone went nuts. I'm not saying Browne is on a short leach but if he doesn't perform he's out.

5. I have no issue with the closed practices and no media availability for anyone other than the coach. He's doing the smart thing. Listen I'm a former Pitt News Sports writer so I'd be bummed but he's letting the kids worry about the game. They are going to be challenged in practice big time. Duzz is old school, he's respecting the rivalry and he's keeping the focus on himself. No issue with it. He's also taking the pressure off his players and letting them focus on their respective tasks.

6. Your never as bad as you look or as good as you look. That's all I'm going to say.

7. If you want to stress stress about the FG kicker.

8. I'm guessing Coach Sumlin is in deep doo doo.

9. The DL is going to be really challenged this week. Hendrix and Edwards need to get off their blocs and I guarantee you the emphasis in pratice will be the pass rush. Also I would be shocked if we see the base d a lot. I'm expecting some kind of hybrid base to counter the RO's. One way to go at is with 5 Lineman, 1 LB and another DB or take out a LB put in a S/CB. The matchup that is difficult in this game is the PSU TE he's a future pro.

10. The next two games are going to really test the young players that are playing. Whose going to make plays? Whose not able to withstand the pressure? Whose going to accept the pressure and thrive. This is where you find out what you got. I'm actually quite anxious to see how this team responds. Don't forget this is an extremely young team with very few senior rocks to lean on.

11. The one other thing I'm expecting to see more of is AJ Davis in space. They basically ran off the same power sets that they ran Ollison with but Davis' skill set is his ability to make people miss in space. Do not be surprised if hes used out of the backfield against their LB's. I look at Q, Moss, Hall and they are interchangeable but with similar skill sets. More power guys who are more comfortable running inside. Davis gives them a another take it to the house type player.

Pitt82

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News