ADVERTISEMENT

US NEWS College and University Ratings 2021

We talk every year about how the US News rankings are easily manipulated and just inherently a poor way of measuring the quality of a university, especially a large, multi-faceted university like Pitt.

That said, as long as high school applicants and high school guidance counselors think that they’re important, then it’s necessary for Pitt to do what it takes to make sure that Pitt’s ranking roughly reflects the quality of the institution. They’ve made meaningful improvements in getting the US News ranking up closer to where it needs to be, and this year continues that very good trend.

Pitt #58 (#19 public, #30 best schools for veterans, #50 most innovative schools)

Still about 15 to 20 spots from where Pitt should be, IMO, based on the reputation of its graduate programs. There is no reason Pitt should not be at least where Georgia is.

ACC easily has the top average and median of all FBS conferences.

Other notables (including all PA schools in national universities, italics ACC):
1. Princeton
2. Harvard
8. Penn
12. Duke
19. Notre Dame

26. Carnegie Mellon
26. Virginia
28. North Carolina
28. Wake Forest
35. Boston College
35. Georgia Tech

49. Lehigh
49. Miami
53. Villanova
58. Pitt
58. Florida State
58. Syracuse

63. Penn State
74. Clemson
74. Virginia Tech
80. NC State

103. Temple
133. Drexel
143. Duquesne
176. Louisville
176. Thomas Jefferson
187. Chatham
196. Robert Morris
206. Misericordia
206. Widener
217. Wilkes
227. Gannon
241. Immaculata
251. West Virginia
284. IUP

Last edited:
We talk every year about how the US News rankings are easily manipulated and just inherently a poor way of measuring the quality of a university, especially a large, multi-faceted university like Pitt.

That said, as long as high school applicants and high school guidance counselors think that they’re important, then it’s necessary for Pitt to do what it takes to make sure that Pitt’s ranking roughly reflects the quality of the institution. They’ve made meaningful improvements in getting the US News ranking up closer to where it needs to be, and this year continues that very good trend.

Pitt should just sent every guidance councilor in Western PA a $50 Jant Iggle gift card. Let them know it goes to $100 if Pitt is ranked in the top 50.

Or just hold a Pitt Guidance Councillor retreat and give em a bunch of free crap, like Penn State football tickets. Pitt would probably be #25 in two years.

Graduate programs are ranked separately by USN&WR.

Yes, I know. But the faculty is largely the same. Reputationally, there is a disconnect. Pitt also has incoming standardized test scores that would indicate it should place higher.

IMO, we should be in the 40s around where Wisconsin and Illinois are.

Having degrees from both Miami and Pitt, I can tell you for sure Pitt should be ahead of Miami.

Last edited:
Wall Street Journal again listed Pitt the #1 public university in the NE.

That would also be supported by US News' rankings, the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), and the last report of the Center for Measuring University Performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panthergrowl13
I own 4 PT clinics, paid off my college debt in literally less than 3 years and haven’t had a mortgage on a 550k home in 6 years. Free and clear. You continue to flex on your education. I’ll do well at WVU, kill the interview and retire by 43.

Live the dream..

I own 4 PT clinics, paid off my college debt in literally less than 3 years and haven’t had a mortgage on a 550k home in 6 years. Free and clear. You continue to flex on your education. I’ll do well at WVU, kill the interview and retire by 43.
You must be the exception that proves the rule.

You must be the exception that proves the rule.
Higher education, in many many respects, is an outright farce. In absolute terms, it’s absolutely fine and valuable. Relative to the cost, however, it is not a great investment. As a resident of WV, who attended WVU, it was a great investment. There’s a reason Kiplinger’s Personal Finance has an article in at least 4-5 editions, annually, about the financial benefits of community college for satisfying the prerequisite courses. I won’t do that with my boys because there’s GREAT value in living in an uncomfortable dorm with people you don’t know. It can be the genesis of lifelong friendships and it’s the essence of the college experience. However, these articles truly highlight the financial disparity between university and community college for prereqs.

I could’ve attended CMU or Johns Hopkins but came from nothing. Wasn’t intelligent enough for max scholarships at either university. I need to grind to succeed. Therefore, I decided to stay home. I am glad I did, mostly from a financial standpoint.

Our program is considered a top program nationally (ironically, along with Pitt, Duke, and others) and I paid a fraction of the cost. I knew that I would shine in the interview room. Once I was able to get to that point, I breathed a sigh of relief. Many of you understand how it works but the interview, for most professions, simply means more than the degree.

I am honestly NOT the “get off my lawn” kinda guy but I will say that I have some genuine fear about these upcoming generations. When conducting interviews, I feel like I’m sometimes talking to a wall. Such poor interpersonal and communication skills. The first class I ever took in college was a Speech class (public speaking). To this day, it has been the best class I ever took.....along with my 9th grade typing class. I think this country would do a great service if universities mandated a Speech class FR year, semester 1. It wouldn’t solve the interpersonal skills issues but it would help.

I honestly enjoy the banter on here. Pitt is a great university and I would stick the nose of WVU fan in the rankings too. Just remember (some of you may not know) that the mission at WVU doesn’t come close to offering a top score in a rankings list. Large land-grant school wanting to provide for constituents of a VERY POOR state, etc.

And also remember that WVU has a very capable athletics department (and always has) that is more than willing to beat Pitt. Good luck.

Last edited:
Once again you are on the Pitt site!

Here is the link to wvcc's site https://westvirginia.rivals.com/default.asp?SR=RivalsFP

Higher education, in many many respects, is an outright farce. In absolute terms, it’s absolutely fine and valuable. Relative to the cost, however, it is not a great investment. As a resident of WV, who attended WVU, it was a great investment. There’s a reason Kiplinger’s Personal Finance has an article in at least 4-5 editions, annually, about the financial benefits of community college for satisfying the prerequisite courses. I won’t do that with my boys because there’s GREAT value in living in an uncomfortable dorm with people you don’t know. It can be the genesis of lifelong friendships and it’s the essence of the college experience. However, these articles truly highlight the financial disparity between university and community college for prereqs.

I could’ve attended CMU or Johns Hopkins but came from nothing. Wasn’t intelligent enough for max scholarships at either university. I need to grind to succeed. Therefore, I decided to stay home. I am glad I did, mostly from a financial standpoint.

Our program is considered a top program nationally (ironically, along with Pitt, Duke, and others) and I paid a fraction of the cost. I knew that I would shine in the interview room. Once I was able to get to that point, I breathed a sigh of relief. Many of you understand how it works but the interview, for most professions, simply means more than the degree.

I am honestly NOT the “get off my lawn” kinda guy but I will say that I have some genuine fear about these upcoming generations. When conducting interviews, I feel like I’m sometimes talking to a wall. Such poor interpersonal and communication skills. The first class I ever took in college was a Speech class (public speaking). To this day, it has been the best class I ever took.....along with my 9th grade typing class. I think this country would do a great service if universities mandated a Speech class FR year, semester 1. It wouldn’t solve the interpersonal skills issues but it would help.

I honestly enjoy the banter on here. Pitt is a great university and I would stick the nose of WVU fan in the rankings too. Just remember (some of you may not know) that the mission at WVU doesn’t come close to offering a top score in a rankings list. Large land-grant school wanting to provide for constituents of the state, etc.

And also remember that WVU has a very capable athletics department (and always has) that is more than willing to beat Pitt. Good luck.

Surprised no one has mentioned how far Penn State has fallen. I believe this is the first time in a couple years we are ranked higher. Cant wait to tell all my Penn State friend haha

Several years ago I presented to the Pitt Finance Club and told them - went you sit down on your first job forget about your alma mater because the kid next to you that went to Grove City or Clarion is there to compete and out work you. It’s a competition and you need to compete and be smart at the same time. When I bought out my consulting practice from my former large firm I left behind three guys from Yale and took a Pitt grad, one from W&J, and one from Miami of Ohio. All were smart and had way better work ethics and attitudes than the Yale grads.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
Several years ago I presented to the Pitt Finance Club and told them - went you sit down on your first job forget about your alma mater because the kid next to you that went to Grove City or Clarion is there to compete and out work you. It’s a competition and you need to compete and be smart at the same time. When I bought out my consulting practice from my former large firm I left behind three guys from Yale and took a Pitt grad, one from W&J, and one from Miami of Ohio. All were smart and had way better work ethics and attitudes than the Yale grads.
By no means am I saying that the Yale guys came from affluence, but many do. There is significant wisdom and life experience earned by being born at home plate and not 3rd base.

I honestly enjoy the banter on here. Pitt is a great university and I would stick the nose of WVU fan in the rankings too. Just remember (some of you may not know) that the mission at WVU doesn’t come close to offering a top score in a rankings list. Large land-grant school wanting to provide for constituents of a VERY POOR state, etc.

The truth. Great post and spot on. Many more factors that determine success in life than where you went to undergrad. WVU is a fine school. Congrats on your success.

Pitt is at the exact same position it was 10 years ago. The methodology has been tweaked causing some movement in between, but Pitt hasn’t really moved up.

Still at 243 zzzzzzzzzz

Community college for thee but not for me!

Are you Dr. Jones?

Last edited:
Reactions: pierre93

PITT developed a vaccine and cure for COVID. Maybe WVU could create a self burning couch. That would be really cool. Start up costs would be low as you will only need a few to start with over the next few years.

jesus christ man, give it up.

simply means the average Pitt grad has better schooling.

Surprised no one has mentioned how far Penn State has fallen. I believe this is the first time in a couple years we are ranked higher. Cant wait to tell all my Penn State friend haha
I will not get to have a laugh at any PSU People that I used to know on these updated rankings with PITT ahead of The CULT, as broke off the few PSU Friends I had in 2012, as could not stand the CULT Mentality and the Arrogance even in the Face of the Worst Scandal in College Sports History. I mentioned to one of them that if it was one of Paterknew's Grandkids that the Ginger QB Coach saw in the Shower getting Sanduskied, he would have not waited until Monday so not to disturb anyone's weekend. I said he would have have went to the State Police himself immediately, and this guy just shrugged it off in denial. I realized this friendship had to end.

Their CULT whining that they were the actual victims from the NCAA Sanctions(light as they were since they were still allowed to have Games shown on TV, and then the Sanctions were prematurely ended anyways-did Sandusky end prematurely with all of his Victims?), and their behavior at the Nebraska Game so they 'Could Heal' was disgusting to me.

I will only consider a friendship in the Future with a Creepy Valley Alumnus, if that person leads the initiative to have a Statue of Sara Ganim(Spelling?), whose investigative reporting exposed what was going on 'Under the Dome' built and installed where the Statue of Paterknew used to be located. Actually, I could be friends with Sara, as I respect what she did as an Alumnus from that School.

Pitt is at the exact same position it was 10 years ago. The methodology has been tweaked causing some movement in between, but Pitt hasn’t really moved up.
I understand what you’re saying, but the ranking formula has changed since then - and it’s changed in ways that would normally hurt Pitt. From last year to this year, they put less emphasis on admissions statistics (where Pitt is strong versus its peers) and more emphasis on student loan debt (where Pitt is weak versus its peers). The fact that Pitt has held serve while the ranking formula has shifted in ways that are to Pitt’s disadvantage is a positive IMO.

Relax. It makes sense what you are saying, but you don’t have to go nuts with the boasting. Or maybe they teach insecurity at WVCC.

Ha! The methodology is farcical. WVU researchers/professors in PT routinely litter Combined Sections at national conference with various evidence-based discoveries. Delaware at number 1 is laughable. I’m well aware of preparation provided by various PT programs (in the subspecialty of Orthopedics) from the most important angle....clinical practice. Pitt, Duke, and a few others are on the same plane as WVU.....The problem with Pitt and Duke is that these students really struggle with college debt. There’s literally zero difference in entry-level pay based on alma mater. It would behoove young 18 yo and parents to perform due diligence as it pertains to value of a program.

Ha! The methodology is farcical. WVU researchers/professors in PT routinely litter Combined Sections at national conference with various evidence-based discoveries. Delaware at number 1 is laughable. I’m well aware of preparation provided by various PT programs (in the subspecialty of Orthopedics) from the most important angle....clinical practice. Pitt, Duke, and a few others are on the same plane as WVU.....The problem with Pitt and Duke is that these students really struggle with college debt. There’s literally zero difference in entry-level pay based on alma mater. It would behoove young 18 yo and parents to perform due diligence as it pertains to value of a program.

Sure, it’s a peer survey and all polls have flaws. But it is the methodology every PT dean in the country pays attention to.

There are other, less popularly known methodologies such as:
https://www.healthgrad.com/physical-health/top-picks-for-the-best-dpt-programs-by-region/
https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-physical-therapy/
https://www.bestmedicaldegrees.com/cheapest-physical-therapy-doctorate-degrees/

Or just by straight NIH funding of research:

Too bad your opinion isn’t a ranking anywhere but in your own head. LOL, a degree in insecurity indeed.

Last edited:
Personally I’ve always said that an education is only what you put into it. Watched many people with degrees far more prestigious than my PITT degree get released over my 34 yr career. Retired at 55 and haven’t looked back.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus

yeah noticed that too. wonder why.

By no means am I saying that the Yale guys came from affluence, but many do. There is significant wisdom and life experience earned by being born at home plate and not 3rd base.

not anymore. way better to be born on 3rd base.

Why you would come on a Pitt message board is strange. I guess you feel you have to
set us Pitt no nothings straight on college rankings. I'm familiar with both Pitt and WVU,
having had various personal and professional dealings with these institutions.

We all are more than aware that the selection process has it's flaws. I wrote the original
post in this thread. It was just an FYI to Pitt fans who post on here. I also gave the
PSU rankings because that's the institution we are most closely aligned....both Pitt
and PSU are in PA, we're both "state related" universities, and obviously there's a
competition among students, teams, and alumni.

I'm glad you're a success in life. Unfortunately the bottom line here is
the ranking. WVU is what it is, as is Pitt and every other university covered in
this ranking. If you want agreement with your analysis, I'd suggest you take
your argument to the WVU message board. You'll obviously get many posters
who think as you do about these rankings. Crazy Paco described you pretty well IMO.

yeah noticed that too. wonder why.

not anymore. way better to be born on 3rd base.
Penn State and Pitt both get killed on the financial aid/student debt metrics, especially compared to other public schools. As those factors have been given more importance, Penn State in particular has dropped like a rock. Pitt has better admissions statistics and does more in terms of financial aid and scholarships (Panthers Forward and the Pell Grant match program just in the past few years).

Penn State has apparently decided to spend all of its financial aid money on giving full scholarships to every law student in an attempt to boost that school’s ranking, while letting the undergrad reputation slip. It’s an interesting decision, but it seems like the path they’ve chosen.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Penn State and Pitt both get killed on the financial aid/student debt metrics, especially compared to other public schools. As those factors have been given more importance, Penn State in particular has dropped like a rock. Pitt has better admissions statistics and does more in terms of financial aid and scholarships (Panthers Forward and the Pell Grant match program just in the past few years).

Penn State has apparently decided to spend all of its financial aid money on giving full scholarships to every law student in an attempt to boost that school’s ranking, while letting the undergrad reputation slip. It’s an interesting decision, but it seems like the path they’ve chosen.

probably makes sense. the rubes who get cow degrees will love PSU no matter what. the law grads are bigger donors. gotta get more of them, and higher caliber ones, in there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT