ADVERTISEMENT

US vs Mexico game thread

Antonee Robinson has been abysmal tonight. That would be the first change Berhalter should make. Aaronson is an energizer bunny, no reason he shouldn't see 90 tonight. Steffen showing that is, like Turner is very good.

Need better service on corners and set pieces. That was the bread n butter over the summer against Mexico.

I got yelled at Pittseven90? Yesterday but too old to Argue. I stated that in
Soccer, more then every other sport, the best team doesn't always win.

MOTM. I'm giving it to Walker Zimmerman. He was solid and stout for 90+ minutes. Following up with Timmy Weah and Weston McKennie. I love McKennie....he is a junkyard dawg. He won't let Mexico be bullies.

Of course CP comes in and boom! 1-0.

Steffen did what we expect him to do. Made a great save on Chucky Lozano and made sound decisions.

It's such a shame that this shitty confederation refuses to install VAR because Mexico woulda been down a man after that eye claw on Aaronson.

Regardless, 14 points, +2 goal advantage over Mexico, top of table at the midpoint, clean sheet.

Onto Kingston. I would say 1 point should be the minimum. Losing Miles and Weston will hurt. Chris Richards may have to step in to partner with Walker and we'll probably see Kellen Acosta in for Weston.

Great result tonight. Great job lads!

Last edited by a moderator:
This ref must have been a Mexico sympathizer. Doesn’t even address the fact the Mexican player tried to rip the face off one of our players. Mexico is just a bunch of slimy annoying jagoffs. Glad we stuck it to them.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Antonee Robinson has been abysmal tonight. That would be the first change Berhalter should make. Aaronson is an energizer bunny, no reason he shouldn't see 90 tonight. Steffen showing that is, like Turner is very good.

Need better service on corners and set pieces. That was the bread n butter over the summer against Mexico.
Yeah I thought he was poor. The rest of the squad all had good moments. Pepi was a bit quiet though.

all of this doesn’t matter if we don’t get a result vs Jamaica. What I want to see in that game is MLS’s best center back (Zimmerman) matched up against one of the best #9’s in the EPL (micail Antonio). That will be fun to watch. I didn’t know who Zimmerman was 6 months ago but I became a fan in the summer

Aaronson has incredible work rate. He needs to be in there. His services on corners were kinda poor but in the run of play he was a factor. It’s a good problem to have for the USA to have the emergence of a player like that. With him, Pulisic, Reyna, Pepi…you’re starting to see some squad depth that helps when you’re playing 2 games in a week. And there are others too who will be in the mix for 2026.

two of our best are injured and 4000miles away (Dest and Reyna). Pretty remarkable.

if we only had Josh Sargent tonight, we’d have won 5-0. 🤪

No problem. Robinson will not be playing next game. Got red card.

Who are the other backs rostered in this window? Just curious what our backline could look like in a few days.

We are down two player on Tuesday after the cards tonight so a point on the road would be acceptable even against a lower opponent

I'm not sure if Concacaf works that same way as the FA. If so they should absolutely be handing Chaka Rodriguez a 2 or 3 match ban after the fact for his eye gouging of Aaronson.

That was typical bully behaviour by the Mexican team. That is why I love McKennie so much, he won't back down from that crap and I think if he had the perfect shot later in the match, he woulda tactfully taken Chaka out with a very hard tackle.

John Brooks as well. He doesn't put up with any shit either. I just wish he was completely focused but even by his own admission a few weeks ago, he isn't and needs to get centered for National Team.

Who are the other backs rostered in this window? Just curious what our backline could look like in a few days.
I can see Berhalter giving Chris Richards a shot next to Walker. He also has Mark McKenzie as well. I thought Miles played good but Walker really stood out. I believe he started out as a midfielder and progressed to a CB over the years. I am usually critical of MLS but they have really given the National Team some good options in the past few years such as Aaron Long, Miles Robinson and Walker Zimmerman.

Wish Long didn't rupture his Achilles in May because he would just be another good cog in the wheel on the back line.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
No problem. Robinson will not be playing next game. Got red card.
That was Miles that picked up the red. Unfortunately Berhalter is limited in the his choices for LB. Antonee just had a poor game, hoping he pops back up. I watch him almost weekly with Fulham, he has alot of steam and plays solid defense but he crossing is poor more times than not.

Aaronson has incredible work rate. He needs to be in there. His services on corners were kinda poor but in the run of play he was a factor. It’s a good problem to have for the USA to have the emergence of a player like that. With him, Pulisic, Reyna, Pepi…you’re starting to see some squad depth that helps when you’re playing 2 games in a week. And there are others too who will be in the mix for 2026.

two of our best are injured and 4000miles away (Dest and Reyna). Pretty remarkable.

I thought that there is no way Berhalter should take Aaronson off but for CP, great tactical move. Plus who knows what Aaronson's vision was like after getting raked.

A youthful team full of quality depth. I'm pretty excited, now if they lose in Kingston I'll be back to my earlier thoughts that I don't like Berhalter, which I really don't anyhow.
Yeah I thought he was poor. The rest of the squad all had good moments. Pepi was a bit quiet though.

all of this doesn’t matter if we don’t get a result vs Jamaica. What I want to see in that game is MLS’s best center back (Zimmerman) matched up against one of the best #9’s in the EPL (micail Antonio). That will be fun to watch. I didn’t know who Zimmerman was 6 months ago but I became a fan in the summer
Pepi very well could have been caught up in the moment of emotion with a ton a expectation and pressure against a team his family has grown up supporting. He did put himself in position twice to score but didn't.

If they contain Antonio, Leon Bailey and Shamar Richardson they can get 3. If they get 1 that's fine considering not having Weston and Miles.

No way Berhalter changes GK either. Steffen proved his choice to be the correct. Again a crappy but great problem to have, 2 very good GK's.

Aaronson does have a great work rate but I thought he was average Friday. He'd been playing much better. Jester's cousin is "breaking out" so much so that the Sirius Soccer Channel guys were discussing him replacing Reyna. Their verdict though was not really but he's a mainstay now.

Also, its got to be McKenzie at CB not Richards

Why on earth would it have to be the guy who isn't getting much playing time at Genk as opposed to the guy playing as much (and lately, more) at Hoffenheim?

It was Richards who played against Costa Rica, not McKenzie. When they brought someone on late in the game on Friday it was Richards, not McKenzie. McKenzie over Richards would be another example of Berhalter being too "cute" and outsmarting himself rather than just making the simple, obvious decision.

Aaronson does have a great work rate but I thought he was average Friday. He'd been playing much better. Jester's cousin is "breaking out" so much so that the Sirius Soccer Channel guys were discussing him replacing Reyna. Their verdict though was not really but he's a mainstay now.

Yeah. Aaronson had some half chances that he didn’t do better with. And as far as Weah…I’ve always been biased toward pace so I’m fully behind him. But as far as supplanting Reyna is the starter on that side? I dunno. There are people who think Reyna might someday be a better player than Pulisic. I won’t compare the two as they are such different players. But I think this speaks to the depth that I was talking about. Weah is looking like a great change of pace alternative to Reyna.

Back to Aaronson. To get him on the field, I suppose CP goes to the #10? Not as Ideal for me as I like Pulisic out in space more than in the middle. Plus in Concacaf games, Pulisic will just get pounded and abused inside like he always does.

another example of Berhalter being too "cute" and outsmarting himself rather than just making the simple, obvious decision.
Berhalter is a lightening rod isn’t he? Guy has beat Mexico 3 times this year, won 2 trophies and has the US at the top of the table. Personally I’m indifferent on him. I’d like to say Bradley or Arena would have this team 4 points clear of everyone else right now because I’d like to think they’d have got 3pts in the games they didn’t. But then I think, would they have beat Mexico 3 times? That’s a real tough task to match.

on Friday I had a friend of mine text me that Berhalter needed fired on the spot the moment he said Pulisic wasn’t starting. This friend is one of the most well known soccer men in western PA, so he knows his stuff and has followed things for 4 decades. But he’s a Man U supporter and not a Chelsea supporter, and as a Chelsea supporter Im a bit closer to the Pulisic fitness and health situation and I really think that Tuchel and Berhalter had a serious discussion about CP10’s management in this window and Berhalter made a rationale long term decision. Just me opinion. And yet, it worked out brilliantly for Berhalter.

now here’s my worry. Friday night lended more support to Tuchel in his belief that Pulisic is best as an impact player off the bench, and he won’t be starting much under him.

There are people in England who believed that Pulisic was the best winger in the country when he was in form. The knock on him has always been his injuries. There are people who are down on him because of the injuries and some of these people will never be convinced. And then there’s this…there was a time when Chelsea had a young Lukaku, DeBruyne and Salah on the team and they let all of them go. Well yesterday I read an article about Tuchel needing to work with Pulisic because he could be the next Mo Salah. But the fear is that if he doesn’t, Pulisic might become the next Mo Salah somewhere else. That’s some pretty elite company to compare Pulisic to, especially since Salah in his current form is the best player in the world.

Berhalter is a lightening rod isn’t he? Guy has beat Mexico 3 times this year, won 2 trophies and has the US at the top of the table. Personally I’m indifferent on him. I’d like to say Bradley or Arena would have this team 4 points clear of everyone else right now because I’d like to think they’d have got 3pts in the games they didn’t. But then I think, would they have beat Mexico 3 times? That’s a real tough task to match.

He makes decisions that lead one to believe that he thinks he's the smartest man in the room. Jergen Klinsman had that same quality. As I said, rather than make the obvious decisions he frequently tries to get too "cute" just to show he knows more than everyone else. Sometimes it works out OK. Other times it doesn't.

But on the other hand, if we are being serious, other than Mexico there is no team in this confederation that has any where near as much talent as the US has. Being tied with Mexico at the top of the table half way through qualifying isn't some great coaching feat, it's pretty much what should be expected of any coach of the US National Team.

Reactions: phijo
now here’s my worry. Friday night lended more support to Tuchel in his belief that Pulisic is best as an impact player off the bench, and he won’t be starting much under him.

Not a chance. When he's healthy, he's playing 90. The US doesn't have close to Chelsea talent

on Friday I had a friend of mine text me that Berhalter needed fired on the spot the moment he said Pulisic wasn’t starting.

I don't think he's going to start on Tuesday either. I think they bring him off the bench for 30 or so minutes this time. I think that had they not won on Friday Berhalter may have "forced" him into the starting lineup on Tuesday, but now there is no need to do that. And I really doubt that he's ready to give you even 60 good, hard minutes right now. Better 20-30 minutes at full speed than 60 minutes where he's trying to manage his minutes.

Plus bringing him off the bench on Tuesday after doing it on Friday sends the message not just to Tuchel but to the other club coaches of USMNT members that they can trust the US to do what is right by their players. Which could make a difference down the line in getting a player who isn't fully fit released to the team.

Oh yea, he's never going to be a regular there.

He was their best play when they resumed play last year. The main reason he hasn't been a regular there is injuries. If he ever gets fully healthy and stays that way he will absolutely be a regular there, unless Chelsea were to let him go.

Oh yea, he's never going to be a regular there. I said that when he signed. I thought Dortmund was the perfect level for him
Except he was, and he was their best player for a period of time. Then he got hurt, Frank got sacked and Tuchel got comfortable with him off the bench. And now he’s been hurt all season.

there was a belief that when Chelsea brought in Lukaku this summer that he and Pulisic would thrive with each other. But with CP taken out by Covid and then by Honduras, it never materialized. My hope is that upon CP’s return, he can fight his way back into the lineup, stay healthy and keep his job. No one else has been productive there. Their wing backs have been their best attackers recently. Havertz, Ziyech and Werner haven’t been that good in the time CP has been out. CP should get his chance. And if Tuchel gives him a real chance and not just an abbreviated one, I think he will thrive. If not, maybe his time there ends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT