ADVERTISEMENT

USA Women's Soccer 13 Thai Girlz ZERO

I don't dispute some of what you are saying about tactics, but Ellis certainly seems to be the best manager of personalities in the women's game. The US team can't be easy to coach with the mega personalities like Hope Solo and Abby Wambach in the past and me-first types like Rapinoe, Alex Morgan and Christen Press now. She managed to make Carli Lloyd a substitute for the last year and pushed out Hope Solo after the 2016 Olympics without it becoming a distraction. As you said, we could probably win by drawing names, but her talent management abilities seem to be fairly impeccable. It's not a job many could do well.

If I coached the USWNT, they would beat all but a couple countries.

If I coached the USWNT, they would beat all but a couple countries.
Tactically, I'm sure we all could coach this team to victory. Just roll the balls out. But, coaching the USWNT is an incredibly hard job because of the personalities. Let me ask you this... of the 15 most popular female athletes in the United States, how many of them would be players on this team? I'd imagine other than Serena Williams and 1 or 2 others that aren't coming to mind, the rest would be on this team. That ain't easy to manage.

Maybe the East Germans did a lot of that, but the Soviets didn't. They where really good at a lot of women's sports, especially gymnastics and figure skating, and it wasn't because of PEDs.

Sometimes I wonder what color the sky is in your world. Is it blue, like it is here where the rest of us live?

Reactions: California Panther
Portugal having 1 recreation girls league in Lisbon doesn't count.

Portugal has had a professional women's soccer league since at least 1993. And there are enough other teams playing that they have a promotion/relegation set up with a second division, a division that has 56 teams in it!

Do you suppose they find the players for those leagues by just randomly selecting women that they find walking down the street? Or do you just have no idea what you are talking about?

Sometimes I wonder what color the sky is in your world. Is it blue, like it is here where the rest of us live?
The rest of you just buy AMERICAN PROPAGADA hook line and sinker, starting with the stupid "exceptionalism" BS, that keeps us from evolving into a better nation.

Do you suppose they find the players for those leagues by just randomly selecting women that they find walking down the street?

It's possible, the USA has indoor and outdoor professional women's American Football leagues, Yes, they find them just walking down the street, NONE OF THEM played organized American Football growing up.

It's possible, the USA has indoor and outdoor professional women's American Football leagues, Yes, they find them just walking down the street, NONE OF THEM played organized American Football growing up.
You keep bringing this up, but it doesn’t prove anything about girls/women’s soccer in other countries.

You keep bringing this up, but it doesn’t prove anything about girls/women’s soccer in other countries.
You also haven't PROVEN that soccer programs for YOUTH GIRLS are prevalent in all the places you say they are, I mean prevalent LIKE IN THE USA, not like 20% of the girls or girls in a big city, have the option.

Portugal has had a professional women's soccer league since at least 1993. And there are enough other teams playing that they have a promotion/relegation set up with a second division, a division that has 56 teams in it!

Do you suppose they find the players for those leagues by just randomly selecting women that they find walking down the street? Or do you just have no idea what you are talking about?

Its semi-pro, inotherwords Rec soccer. You know those "semi-pro" adult football and baseball leagues in Pittsburgh....yea, that. Nobody is paying these people.

Its semi-pro, inotherwords Rec soccer. You know those "semi-pro" adult football and baseball leagues in Pittsburgh....yea, that. Nobody is paying these people.

If you look waaaaaaaaaay up high you will see the point flying so far over your head it's barely recognizable.

The point isn't how much those players are getting paid, the point is that there is a multi-level, 70 or so team infrastructure in place. And has been in place for a long time. And somehow you (and 79 apparently) just think that all those players show up off the street with no training and no opportunity to play until they reach adulthood.

The adult baseball and football leagues in the US are the perfect comparison. The people playing in those leagues in Pittsburgh and all around the rest of the country don't just magically appear one day and decide they want to play. They are people who have been playing the game all their lives. They play Little League and Pony league and high school baseball and Pop Warner and junior high and high school football. Just like the women who play in leagues like that in Portugal have been playing the sport all of their lives.

Once again, you have posted something that actually supports the opposite point from what you are arguing without even realizing it.

The rest of you just buy AMERICAN PROPAGADA hook line and sinker, starting with the stupid "exceptionalism" BS, that keeps us from evolving into a better nation.

You may be the only person in the world who doesn't think that the Soviets were pumping their athletes full of steroids in the 70s and 80s. Hell, even the Russians themselves aren't that naive.

You may be the only person in the world who doesn't think that the Soviets were pumping their athletes full of steroids in the 70s and 80s. Hell, even the Russians themselves aren't that naive.
Russia and East Germany invented real blood doping and other methods to cheat for gold. No secret, it was the best way to gold. Very similar to pro cycling. The only way to the yellow jersey was through an organized doping program. Again, no secret.

I'm not saying they didn't use steroids, just that they also had targeted development programs from early ages in ever sport for both genders. The Americans used steroids too. The Americans pretty much invented it.

And somehow you (and 79 apparently) just think that all those players show up off the street with no training and no opportunity to play until they reach adulthood.
In a lot of countries yes, there is no infrastructure for female CHILDREN-EVERYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY to play EVERY YEAR ON ORGANIZED TEAMS FROM AGES 4-19.

Can we just all agree that there will be a round of 16 teams in the WC that is stronger than ever?? There may not be 16 teams capable of winning the whole thing, but essentially all 16 are respectable. Yeah we pump more money into our program than the others but there’s a lot of good soccer out there. Hell, Scotland didn’t make it out of group play but they have some world class talent. Erin Cuthbert (Chelsea FC) is a stud and has other teammates on that Scotland team that could play for the US. Times are changing. I get SMF’s point even though it’s significantly exaggerated.

Can we just all agree that there will be a round of 16 teams in the WC that is stronger than ever?? There may not be 16 teams capable of winning the whole thing, but essentially all 16 are respectable. Yeah we pump more money into our program than the others but there’s a lot of good soccer out there. Hell, Scotland didn’t make it out of group play but they have some world class talent. Erin Cuthbert (Chelsea FC) is a stud and has other teammates on that Scotland team that could play for the US. Times are changing. I get SMF’s point even though it’s significantly exaggerated.
Yes exactly. Clearly there is significant growth globally or this World Cup wouldn’t be as strong as it is. Can’t wait for USA and Sweden shortly!

Can we just all agree that there will be a round of 16 teams in the WC that is stronger than ever??

The interesting thing to me is that for all the ink spilled the last couple days about how it might be better for the US to lose to Sweden to get an easier path to the championship because they wouldn't have to play France in the quarters, had the US lost today their path to the championship would have ended up being something like Canada, Germany, Netherlands and then France.

Yikes! In the end it's a good thing they didn't lose (or even come all that close). Based on ESPN's SPI ratings that would be, in order, the 5th, 3rd, 4th and 2nd ranked team in the world. As it is, they likely get 10th, 2nd, 5th or 6th and 3rd, 4th or 5th. That's a much easier overall path, albeit with the toughest game second rather than last.

The interesting thing to me is that for all the ink spilled the last couple days about how it might be better for the US to lose to Sweden to get an easier path to the championship because they wouldn't have to play France in the quarters, had the US lost today their path to the championship would have ended up being something like Canada, Germany, Netherlands and then France.

Yikes! In the end it's a good thing they didn't lose (or even come all that close). Based on ESPN's SPI ratings that would be, in order, the 5th, 3rd, 4th and 2nd ranked team in the world. As it is, they likely get 10th, 2nd, 5th or 6th and 3rd, 4th or 5th. That's a much easier overall path, albeit with the toughest game second rather than last.
That’s nuts. I haven’t paid close enough attention to how the draws have worked out and the protocol, but a quick look when it flashed on the tv screen at the left side of the bracket (where the US is) looks brutal compared to the right side. Obviously the US is better equipped than anyone, but as we all know, soccer can be a brutal game. The best team doesn’t always win. And for the US, Having a bunch of reserves on the bench who are better than any other team in the world doesn’t help them.

That’s nuts. I haven’t paid close enough attention to how the draws have worked out and the protocol, but a quick look when it flashed on the tv screen at the left side of the bracket (where the US is) looks brutal compared to the right side.

The left side is tougher, but that's mostly because of the quadrant where the US couldn't have ended up. Italy v China and Netherlands v Japan has to have the Netherlands as a large favorite right now to make it to the semis (SPI has them at almost 50%). The US's problem, or I should say the problem that the US avoided, is that they would have been in the bottom right quadrant and gotten Canada first, a game that would have been an absolute war against a very good team but a team that might not be at their best right now, and then almost certainly a game against Germany. That's the defending Olympic champion that lost to the US in the semis in the last World Cup. If the tournament wasn't in France I'd be more worried about them than the French. They might not be better than France, but it's close and Germany actually has high level success that France has never really achieved.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

I have watched 0 seconds of the Women's World Cup but quite a lot of the Gold Cup. I view CONCACAF as our "ACC" though it sucks but I still like to see other teams in our region. For whatever reason, I get a kick out of watching teams like Haiti, Guyana, and others field teams of players who never lived in those countries.

I have watched 0 seconds of the Women's World Cup but quite a lot of the Gold Cup. I view CONCACAF as our "ACC" though it sucks but I still like to see other teams in our region. For whatever reason, I get a kick out of watching teams like Haiti, Guyana, and others field teams of players who never lived in those countries.
You are unbelievable. All of these comments acting like you know something about the growth of women’s soccer worldwide and you haven’t watched any of the World Cup.

You are unbelievable. All of these comments acting like you know something about the growth of women’s soccer worldwide and you haven’t watched any of the World Cup.

I read about it and have common sense. I know that if you beat a team 13-0, they are Rec League players. The USWNT would not beat Norwin 13-0. Norwin HS is probably better than several of these teams.

I'm driving to Cleveland tomorrow. I have given up hope that the US men will ever play a game in Pittsburgh, so they're not going to get any closer than Cleveland.

Good for you. I've only seen them once....in Philly. I wanted to go to the 2 of the last 3 Mexico games in Columbus but the midweek thing made it a no go. I dont remember the full details of that last one but I was in the South somewhere for my Miami/Clemson trip. I DVR'd it and watched it on Monday or Tuesday. Still didn't know the result. What a bummer. Why did Jurgen go with a Back 3? Why Jurgen????

Funny thing is that I think Pittsburgh would be a pretty good city to host a Hex game in because there are very few Mexicans and Central Americans within reasonable driving distance so it would be a true home field advantage. That's one of the main reason they play Mexico in Columbus. Play them almost anywhere else and the place would be overrun by fans of El Tri.

Speaking of this, I truly believe the decision to play Costa Rica in Harrison, NJ cost the team a World Cup bid. Yes, you have to beat Costa Rica but that was a home game for them. There's a reason that was the 1st ever WCQ in the NY Metro Area. Too many fans of Mexican and Central American teams in that area. I was shocked to see them pick Harrison for that. Knowing we were up against it, I really thought they would pick Columbus again even though we lost to Mexico there or a place like Kansas City which you would think would be a very pro-American crowd. In saying all this, I think a game like that at Heinz Field draws 35K USA fans and 5K fans of the Central American team.

I read about it and have common sense. I know that if you beat a team 13-0, they are Rec League players. The USWNT would not beat Norwin 13-0. Norwin HS is probably better than several of these teams.
Yeah we agree Thailand doesn’t have much of a player pool and didn’t belong in the World Cup. What puzzles me is that you use that country to make a general statement about women’s soccer worldwide.

The women’s soccer overall has been very good in this cup. Lots of top level individual players to really like and teams to like, and of course hot chicks to like. One common theme this cup, players and commentators say they are getting no respect as players. That the women have to prove themselves worthy of playing the sport. Lots of that talk before the cup and during the cup, especially Germany match in round of 16. The so called best player in the world who makes crazy cash, isn’t playing based on lack of respect and pay.

One huge difference, look at the fans in the stands. Even round of 16 had a lot of empty seats. Men’s games at this round packed in and viewership throughout cup for men probably 1,000 times greater.

Women’s soccer is vastly improving, but as long as countries organizations refuse to invest in the national team, people don’t fill the stands, and viewership not even close to men’s cup, of course pay won’t be equal.

It’s been a solid cup. I’ve watched nearly all of the games, and will continue to watch the games.

Of all the posts I’ve seen you make over the years, this one is the most insane. And that’s saying something.

Reactions: Pitt79
Yet if it wasn’t for strong goalkeeping and a couple posts, the US men last night could have beat Trinidad 10-0. What’s the difference?

Maybe you’re a closet misogynist? :).

Of all the posts I’ve seen you make over the years, this one is the most insane. And that’s saying something.
In the last 5 years...these schools played in hershey for the state championship in the PIAA largest classification...
2014- Canon Mac
2015- upper St clair
2016-Canon mac
2017-Norwin
2018- Peters Township (actually lost in state semi in OT)

I know all those teams well and all those girls well. Trust me when I tell you that the US women could score as many goals as the wanted against those teams. Your statement is like saying the Dream Team in 1992 would not beat Schenley by 40.

In the last 5 years...these schools played in hershey for the state championship in the PIAA largest classification...
2014- Canon Mac
2015- upper St clair
2016-Canon mac
2017-Norwin
2018- Peters Township (actually lost in state semi in OT)

I know all those teams well and all those girls well. Trust me when I tell you that the US women could score as many goals as the wanted against those teams. Your statement is like saying the Dream Team in 1992 would not beat Schenley by 40.
He is right, norwin wouldn’t lose 13-0. Maybe 33-0 though, and that’s with most starters sitting.

Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
He is right, norwin wouldn’t lose 13-0. Maybe 33-0 though, and that’s with most starters sitting.
Speaking of Western PA girl’s soccer, does the Pittsburgh area even have an ECNL or DA club program? As those of us who know about women’s soccer can attest, that’s where the best HS-aged players are playing. DA players are actually prohibited from playing high school soccer and college coaches at the major D-1 level do absolutely zero recruiting based on HS games.

Speaking of Western PA girl’s soccer, does the Pittsburgh area even have an ECNL or DA club program? As those of us who know about women’s soccer can attest, that’s where the best HS-aged players are playing. DA players are actually prohibited from playing high school soccer and college coaches at the major D-1 level do absolutely zero recruiting based on HS games.
The Riverhounds are ECNL. Pittsburgh does not have a local DA Club. But what I have seen is that many good players don’t do DA because the families don’t want to make that commitment. My daughters local U18 USYS team went 2-0 this year against DA teams. And outside of the very top ECNL teams in each age group, the rest of the teams are watered down. So in other words, college Coaches will recruit DA, ECNL, and the top USYS events.

If the Riverhounds got all the best Western PA players in each age group, they’d form a very good ECNL team each year that could largely compete on a national level. Instead, they get a few good players, Beadling gets theirs, and Century United gets theirs.

The Riverhounds are ECNL. Pittsburgh does not have a local DA Club. But what I have seen is that many good players don’t do DA because the families don’t want to make that commitment. My daughters local U18 USYS team went 2-0 this year against DA teams. And outside of the very top ECNL teams in each age group, the rest of the teams are watered down. So in other words, college Coaches will recruit DA, ECNL, and the top USYS events.

If the Riverhounds got all the best Western PA players in each age group, they’d form a very good ECNL team each year that could largely compete on a national level. Instead, they get a few good players, Beadling gets theirs, and Century United gets theirs.
I don’t see DA upsetting ECNL in growth or dominance. Example, a bunch of Atlanta’s top players went to DA, and back to ECNL less than a year later. Way way way too much travel in DA, and quality isn’t great. My kids ECNL club is the smallest market in all of the Ohio Valley and one of the smallest in the country. We also are the only city in the Ohio valley with zero pro teams in any sport. But we qualified for nationals by landing 3rd overall and coming in 16th nationally. We leave Tuesday for nationals. River hounds at our age were much better last year but this year took a huge nose dive. Internationals in Ohio pretty solid program. Internationals, TSC in Nashville, and FC alliance in Knoxville qualified.

Until the Riverhounds were awarded ECNL, most top players were at Beadling who played and still play USYS. Talking with college coaches and knowing many of them, I can tell you first hand that circa 2010-2016, the Beadling teams would have been top ECNL teams in their respective age groups. My other daughter is a senior in college, and her last year at Beadling, they went undefeated the entire year until losing to the national Championship team from southern cal at the USYS National Championships. Her Beadling team finished their club careers ranked #1 in the country based on two rankings systems. Those systems are flawed as we know...but they still beat every ECNL team that they played that year in showcases. @Joe the Panther Fan has a Niece who also played on another Nationally relevant Beadling USYS team that college coaches told me would have beat most ECNL teams.

I don’t see DA upsetting ECNL in growth or dominance. Example, a bunch of Atlanta’s top players went to DA, and back to ECNL less than a year later. Way way way too much travel in DA, and quality isn’t great. My kids ECNL club is the smallest market in all of the Ohio Valley and one of the smallest in the country. We also are the only city in the Ohio valley with zero pro teams in any sport. But we qualified for nationals by landing 3rd overall and coming in 16th nationally. We leave Tuesday for nationals. River hounds at our age were much better last year but this year took a huge nose dive. Internationals in Ohio pretty solid program. Internationals, TSC in Nashville, and FC alliance in Knoxville qualified.
What year is your kid again? 2003? The 2002 Riverhounds qualifies for ECNL nationals. They have some good players. But again, in the 2002 age group for example, the good players are all split into different teams. There are three other USYS teams in that age group who are pretty good. I’d say they are all pretty close in quality. Take the top 4-5 players from each of those 3 teams, combine them with the top RH players, and they would compete at the top of ECNL.

I coach HS and have a few of those 2003 Riverhounds players. I know that age group pretty well, and think the Beadling team at that age is the strongest around here. It’s a shame that the talent in Pittsburgh is now split between teams.

What year is your kid again? 2003? The 2002 Riverhounds qualifies for ECNL nationals. They have some good players. But again, in the 2002 age group for example, the good players are all split into different teams. There are three other USYS teams in that age group who are pretty good. I’d say they are all pretty close in quality. Take the top 4-5 players from each of those 3 teams, combine them with the top RH players, and they would compete at the top of ECNL.

I coach HS and have a few of those 2003 Riverhounds players. I know that age group pretty well, and think the Beadling team at that age is the strongest around here. It’s a shame that the talent in Pittsburgh is now split between teams.

@Joe the Panther Fan has a Niece who also played on another Nationally relevant Beadling USYS team that college coaches told me would have beat most ECNL teams.

That team was very good. All those girls ended up with D1 scholarships and several of them went to high level college soccer programs.

And speaking of the Norwin girls, as someone who knows a little more about them than your average SMF ( ;) ), there is no way those teams come anywhere close to competing with the US women. Those were (are) some very good high school teams, but they are not even close to that level. First of all, they are only 16-18 year olds, and would be competing against older, more physically mature players. Secondly, only the very best of the best of even college age girls are good enough to play at the US women's team level, and while those teams had some very good players on them, all state level players, none of them were, like a top five in the country recruit or something like that. The gulf in talent between those teams would have been immense. And the team my niece's senior year could have put 11 D1 recruits on the field at the same time. They never did, but they could have. And the US women would have absolutely squashed them.

ADVERTISEMENT