ADVERTISEMENT

USC stadium dropping 16K seats

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Major renovation. I think you will continue to see this trend with attendance declines by replacing bleacher seating with wider actual seats.

What, no tarps?
3000.jpg

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
In fairness to them, the seats they tarp are horrible. The tarp section there make the end zone at old Pitt Stadium feel like you are right on top of the action.

Reactions: Pitt MD
This renovation is about the OLYMPICS....not about football...its just the 1st step in many renovations that will take place every summer leading up to games as not to interrupt USC or Rams playing seasons

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
This renovation is about the OLYMPICS....not about football...its just the 1st step in many renovations that will take place every summer leading up to games as not to interrupt USC or Rams playing seasons

Rams are scheduled to be in their own place (with Chargers as tenants) for the 2020 season.

Reactions: H2P2004
This is true but that was the statement made when the renovation were announced...either way its gonna be sweet when complete

Going to those olympics
I’d love a Winter Olympics in the eastern time zone before I die. Perhaps with all the millions Bob Nutting is hoarding away from the Pirates he can build a winter village at Seven Springs and attract the games. I can see it now: The 2030 Olympic Winter Games at Johnstown with the ice hockey gold medal game at old War Memorial.

No it's not. USC owns the stadium.

The Coliseum Commission (one of those special purpose corporations involving the State of California, Los Angeles County, and the City of LA) actually owns the stadium, but some years ago they entered into a master lease giving USC control of stadium operations (which makes practical sense since it's just across Exposition Boulevard from the USC campus).

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The Olympics are wildly unpopular among residents in LA. It is going to be a debacle this time. A lot of politicians will be kicked out of office, which is something I guess.

Works out well for USC though.

This is all about $. Luxury boxes for the rich. They are removing something like 24,000 seats and replacing them with new seating for 8,000 with enclosed luxury boxes on the upper levels and semi-luxury boxes (unenclosed) on the lower level. They can make more money with lower attendance because the new boxes will cost beaucoup dollars. If they had just wanted to replace bleacher seating with regular seats, the capacity only would have been reduced by a couple of thousand.

Reactions: vietvet1 and BFo8
This is all about $. Luxury boxes for the rich. They are removing something like 24,000 seats and replacing them with new seating for 8,000 with enclosed luxury boxes on the upper levels and semi-luxury boxes (unenclosed) on the lower level. They can make more money with lower attendance because the new boxes will cost beaucoup dollars. If they had just wanted to replace bleacher seating with regular seats, the capacity only would have been reduced by a couple of thousand.

2 wins:

1. Revenue-generating luxury boxes
2. Fewer regular seats which decreases supply and increases demand.

USC draws well only for big rivalry games. UCLA doesn’t draw well even for those. There won’t be an increased demand from less seats, but they will make more money from the luxury boxes and club seats.

For the Olympics, where they could have sold out for the prime events, it will mean probably 200,000 less people will get to see them. But, they don’t care. Like the Super Bowl, the events aren’t for fans anymore. They are for corporate sponsors with their big hospitality tents and for fat cats.

For the Olympics, where they could have sold out for the prime events, it will mean probably 200,000 less people will get to see them. But, they don’t care. Like the Super Bowl, the events aren’t for fans anymore. They are for corporate sponsors with their big hospitality tents and for fat cats.

Re the Olympics, I'm pretty sure the new Rams/Chargers stadium is planned to be the centerpiece facility.

So, it looks like they are going to basically plank over USC‘s field and put in a temporary track? Is that what I’m seeing there? Has anyone ever done it before?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT