ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Berhalter Drama

You are spot on, and unfortunately the next coach might just be exactly what you mention. Another crony in the US soccer boys club. We have more talent and players being exposed to some excellent club teams, and need a good national team coach who has high level experience. I’m ok with someone who has been on a national team staff, not necessarily head coach, but has been very successful. I’d rather take a chance on Henry than go with someone in the US soccer boys club. I’d rather find a solid club coach that knows how to find talent and build a team.

I want an actual COACH not a recently retired famous player who is coaching a team because its fun. No Zidane, no Henry. Are they going to check if Zlatan wants to do it to if he retires?

I want an actual COACH not a recently retired famous player who is coaching a team because its fun. No Zidane, no Henry. Are they going to check if Zlatan wants to do it to if he retires?
The results of not an actual Coach Zidane:

Zidane became the first coach to win the Champions League three times in a row, won the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup twice each, as well as a La Liga title and a Supercopa de España. This success led to Zidane being named Best FIFA Men's Coach in 2017. He resigned in 2018, but returned to the club in 2019 and won another La Liga and a Supercopa de España title before leaving again in 2021.

I won’t comment on Henry’s chance for success but he is one of the most eloquent and articulate former players in any sport and the American soccer press would love him. If he had played in the NFL he would be one of the lead guys on a network gig.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
The results of not an actual Coach Zidane:

Zidane became the first coach to win the Champions League three times in a row, won the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup twice each, as well as a La Liga title and a Supercopa de España. This success led to Zidane being named Best FIFA Men's Coach in 2017. He resigned in 2018, but returned to the club in 2019 and won another La Liga and a Supercopa de España title before leaving again in 2021.

I won’t comment on Henry’s chance for success but he is one of the most eloquent and articulate former players in any sport and the American soccer press would love him. If he had played in the NFL he would be one of the lead guys on a network gig.

Yep. Roll the balls out like Roy Williams. Has always had arguably the best players in the world and they win. Woah. Let me coach Real Madrid and I'd win also. Their domestic league is like the Big Ten. Its a 2 team league. If we're going with a club coach, I want someone from a competitive league like the EPL. Zidane wins too many games just for showing up.

Henry has told Belgium he wants the head coaching job and would even take a lower salary than what Martinez was making. Henry has received endorsements from veteran national team players.

Would you expect anything different from our soccer expert SMF? Of course he thinks Zlatan could be equal to Zidane.

Yea, so, it was an exaggeration. That said, I think Zidane is nothing more than a "caretaker." He has world-class talent and is Ohio State playing with Michigan and a bunch of Northwestern's and Purdue's. That worries the crap out of me considering he would be now coaching a "Purdue."

Yea, so, it was an exaggeration. That said, I think Zidane is nothing more than a "caretaker." He has world-class talent and is Ohio State playing with Michigan and a bunch of Northwestern's and Purdue's. That worries the crap out of me considering he would be now coaching a "Purdue."
Aren’t most coaches at this level doing just as much caretaking as in game adjustments? I mean this coach has to ensure chemistry in locker room and on the pitch. The coach does need to analyze what other teams do and make adjustments. If you don’t think Zidane did anything but roll the ball out you are crazy. Watch what happens when a coach forgets about caretaking. You have Belgium in this years World Cup. That team had talent but looked horrible. Caretaking allows other things to work, especially tactics and trust. I think you are not respecting the amount of studying and work all coaches have to do. You can’t just assume great players can just go out there and perform with no direction and no tactical focus. Zidane also has to put a staff around him to assist with this. That’s beyond babysitting.

Aren’t most coaches at this level doing just as much caretaking as in game adjustments? I mean this coach has to ensure chemistry in locker room and on the pitch. The coach does need to analyze what other teams do and make adjustments. If you don’t think Zidane did anything but roll the ball out you are crazy. Watch what happens when a coach forgets about caretaking. You have Belgium in this years World Cup. That team had talent but looked horrible. Caretaking allows other things to work, especially tactics and trust. I think you are not respecting the amount of studying and work all coaches have to do. You can’t just assume great players can just go out there and perform with no direction and no tactical focus. Zidane also has to put a staff around him to assist with this. That’s beyond babysitting.

He's had 1 job and its been at arguably the best club in the world who play in a domestic league where they have far better talent in all but 2 games per season.

He's had 1 job and its been at arguably the best club in the world who play in a domestic league where they have far better talent in all but 2 games per season.
So you think a former player now coach with experience versus a player with no coaching is equal because one really isn’t coaching?

Yep. Roll the balls out like Roy Williams. Has always had arguably the best players in the world and they win. Woah. Let me coach Real Madrid and I'd win also. Their domestic league is like the Big Ten. Its a 2 team league. If we're going with a club coach, I want someone from a competitive league like the EPL. Zidane wins too many games just for showing up.
You literally know nothing about sports at all. Why do you embarrass yourself?

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
You literally know nothing about sports at all. Why do you embarrass yourself?

I know that Penn State fan was trolling when he said he was celebrating beating a 3 loss Pac 12 team. Do you want to report me again or do you finally realize you are a fool. And your boy Zidane is nothing special. I'd finish no worse than 3rd in LaLiga if I was coaching them.

Reports coming from Henry is that he hasn’t reached out to Belgium saying he wants the job. Specifically saying, making it abundantly clear, I have not reached out.

But word is, he wants US job.

I hate Derp-a-Derp as much as anyone but this is a complete non-story.

I totally understand that. I’d be the same with loyalty if I had the ability to pick a job. Look for Henry to make a move somewhere. Dude has started to put in many years as assistant with Belgium.
i'm not sure i want anyone who's been associated with belgium in recent years.

I want them to take a crack at a Top 10 manager. If they all say no, you go to that next level. Henry scares the crack out of me since he's never been a HC. Why not Wayne Rooney? Are we only going after former world stars with limited coaching experience?

I want them to take a crack at a Top 10 manager. If they all say no, you go to that next level. Henry scares the crack out of me since he's never been a HC. Why not Wayne Rooney? Are we only going after former world stars with limited coaching experience?

i don't understand how portugal watched belgium the last couple of years and said, "yeah - we need some martinez."

i don't know who the next coach is. i'm sure it will a dip#hit who loses to canada and costa rica on the regular.

Just remember 2018. That was a World Cup champion quality team. But they are old now and showed up a mess. But they knew it was not going to go well. But look at their group. That group was solid.

Just remember 2018. That was a World Cup champion quality team. But they are old now and showed up a mess. But they knew it was not going to go well. But look at their group. That group was solid.

they have plenty of firepower to get out of the group stage. even considering hazard's fat ass.
'
i saw plenty of martinez at everton. it wasn't pretty.

they have plenty of firepower to get out of the group stage. even considering hazard's fat ass.
'
i saw plenty of martinez at everton. it wasn't pretty.
I don’t know if Hazard is purposely doing this to get traded off or he really is just done for as a top level pro.

Zimmerman came out and defended GGG. I couldn’t stop laughing initially when I saw that.

I don’t know if Hazard is purposely doing this to get traded off or he really is just done for as a top level pro.

there's a Chelsea guy who does a morning show in the US. while eden was at Chelsea (not afterwards sour grapes), he would say hazard comes in at the exact time practice started. and left exactly when it ended. never did anything more than required. and he came in out of shape every season. he's certainly doesn't seem interested in extending his career. all that talent and no work ethic. what a terrible waste of money by RM. they got almost nothing out of him and anyone who watched him knew it was coming.

@Fk_Pitt

• Sad
Reactions: Allan McMurray
there's a Chelsea guy who does a morning show in the US. while eden was at Chelsea (not afterwards sour grapes), he would say hazard comes in at the exact time practice started. and left exactly when it ended. never did anything more than required. and he came in out of shape every season. he's certainly doesn't seem interested in extending his career. all that talent and no work ethic. what a terrible waste of money by RM. they got almost nothing out of him and anyone who watched him knew it was coming.

@Fk_Pitt
Yeah that’s true. I think you’re referring to Neil Barnett who does the football show on XM in the mornings. It’s my favorite show. Neil is a chelsea guy and his partner, Charlie, it the big Italian Serie A guy who is friends with Ancelotti and thinks Carlo is headed to the Canada job.

And let’s just say Eden is the anti Lampard. Lampard was the guy at Chelsea who made everyone else better because he was the one who arrived early, stayed late, and did all the right things in between. Eventually guys like Drogba and Terry followed suit and Chelsea became what they were. They should name their training grounds after Lampard, while I’m not sure what they should name after Hazard. Great player when he was at Chelsea and for a short time he was regarded as the best player in England, but he wasn’t known as a locker room or training ground guy. It was always something players would joke about. But when a player produces, it’s fine. When he starts to not produce, then it becomes a problem.

When Courtois signed at RM, it was a 100 million windfall for Chelsea. When Hazard signed, it was another 100 million. But then after RM won the Champions League, there was another clause that Chelsea would get another 100 million. Pretty nice capture for Chelsea considering they themselves beat RM and Courtois and won Champions League while Hazard sat the bench there, and then got that extra 100 million the next year when Hazard was still sitting the bench while RM won UCL. It’s too bad Chelsea spent all that money on terrible signings and suck now.

Ok that’s my Chelsea rant…

Reactions: pitt90seven
Yeah that’s true. I think you’re referring to Neil Barnett who does the football show on XM in the mornings. It’s my favorite show. Neil is a chelsea guy and his partner, Charlie, it the big Italian Serie A guy who is friends with Ancelotti and thinks Carlo is headed to the Canada job.

And let’s just say Eden is the anti Lampard. Lampard was the guy at Chelsea who made everyone else better because he was the one who arrived early, stayed late, and did all the right things in between. Eventually guys like Drogba and Terry followed suit and Chelsea became what they were. They should name their training grounds after Lampard, while I’m not sure what they should name after Hazard. Great player when he was at Chelsea and for a short time he was regarded as the best player in England, but he wasn’t known as a locker room or training ground guy. It was always something players would joke about. But when a player produces, it’s fine. When he starts to not produce, then it becomes a problem.

When Courtois signed at RM, it was a 100 million windfall for Chelsea. When Hazard signed, it was another 100 million. But then after RM won the Champions League, there was another clause that Chelsea would get another 100 million. Pretty nice capture for Chelsea considering they themselves beat RM and Courtois and won Champions League while Hazard sat the bench there, and then got that extra 100 million the next year when Hazard was still sitting the bench while RM won UCL. It’s too bad Chelsea spent all that money on terrible signings and suck now.

Ok that’s my Chelsea rant…

yeah neil. he's so cool. literally has lunch with fans when they go to london. he wasn't rude when he said those things about hazard. i think he even did th same comparison you did with frank.

yeah neil. he's so cool. literally has lunch with fans when they go to london. he wasn't rude when he said those things about hazard. i think he even did th same comparison you did with frank.
He’s a good man. He’s single, owns a cat, and is an English euroweenie, so as you could probably imagine he and I aren’t exactly aligned politically. He’s pretty over the top with his social justice, and while I’m all for social justice too, he’s one that sees injustice when there isn’t any, and that’s my problem with that industry.

In any event, he and I dm’d back and fourth over the summer and we were going to get together in Charlotte when Chelsea was playing there, as whenever Chelsea does a US tour he comes over with them. But it would have required me to take two straight weeks off of work as I already had a trip planned the following week. So I didn’t go to Charlotte. I was more interested in going to see him than I was to see the Chelsea exhibition match at BOA stadium.

He’s a good man. He’s single, owns a cat, and is an English euroweenie, so as you could probably imagine he and I aren’t exactly aligned politically. He’s pretty over the top with his social justice, and while I’m all for social justice too, he’s one that sees injustice when there isn’t any, and that’s my problem with that industry.

In any event, he and I dm’d back and fourth over the summer and we were going to get together in Charlotte when Chelsea was playing there, as whenever Chelsea does a US tour he comes over with them. But it would have required me to take two straight weeks off of work as I already had a trip planned the following week. So I didn’t go to Charlotte. I was more interested in going to see him than I was to see the Chelsea exhibition match at BOA stadium.

i like his old school stories. would love to hear some hooligan stories. that aspect just amazes me.

re: US tours. i took the kids to see a couple of those. it got really expensive and i'm done with it now. i can use that money to see a NBA game where the players are actually trying to win. although, i will say we saw neymar with barcelon and he played his a## off. which is odd b/c he's the last guy i thought would play hard in an exhibition.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
i like his old school stories. would love to hear some hooligan stories. that aspect just amazes me.

re: US tours. i took the kids to see a couple of those. it got really expensive and i'm done with it now. i can use that money to see a NBA game where the players are actually trying to win. although, i will say we saw neymar with barcelon and he played his a## off. which is odd b/c he's the last guy i thought would play hard in an exhibition.
Hazard being hazard

• Haha
Reactions: pitt90seven
Hazard is also one of the most fouled players in the game. He’s had some injury issues recently that make many struggle to get back. Lukaku another example of injuries that just make it a struggle to keep form and keep up. Hazard is 32 years old and time will be running out very soon.

ADVERTISEMENT