ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT March fixtures thread

Just browsing through things as it’s fluid and not confirmed, but let’s assume Portugal wins tomorrow, that will mean that we will be grouped with only one of these teams:

Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, Argentina, France, England, Spain, and Portugal.

USA will likely be in pot 2 with these teams, which means we will not have the following in our group:

Germany, Denmark, Croatia, Netherlands, Mexico, Switzerland, Uruguay and Canada (they are in pot 3 but we can’t be grouped with anyone from our confederation).

so unless we get drawn into Qatar’s group, we will have one elite team in our group, and then an African team yet to qualify and Serbia, Iran, S Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Equador, and then a few teams still left to qualify.

whatever team from Pot 1 that gets Germany drawn into their group will be in the likely group of death in my opinion. Imagine Canada getting drawn in there with a top African team? Holy smokes.

there will be a group of death though. There always is.

It's a lot less likely with them doing the pots by rankings rather than by continents though. They way they used to do it you were almost guaranteed one or two really difficult groups, if for no other reason than the fact that the US and Mexico would be in a pot that guaranteed they'd get one of the top seeds plus one European team and then possibly the best team from Africa or Asia. Now the US will get one of the top seeds and they might get a European team but it will be guaranteed to be one of the lesser European teams and then they'll get probably a low level team from Asia or Africa.

Costa Rica has 9 starters on yellow cards, and suspensions carry over into the continental playoff. They’re really backed into a corner here.

You would think that they'd have to sit most of those guys, wouldn't you? I mean they can't seriously believe that they are going to win the game by six goals or more, so don't they have to be playing with an eye toward having their best players available for the playoff?

I commented on LDLT this morning. I was hoping I’d see something like this on twitter today to reaffirm what I thought I saw during the game. I barely knew who the dude was but now I do that’s for sure. I’m going to take it with a grain of salt as it was just Panama, but what a performance. Enjoy this.

Luca de la Torre is the N’golo Kante of USMNT midfield.

Came out of virtually nowhere but seems to just be a solid workhorse of a player who does the little things to make the team win.

Couple other random opinions:
*Antonee Jedi Robinson - thought he was overhyped originally but I’ve been very impressed with him throughout qualifying. So athletic.

*The Busio experiment needs to end. He’s like an 8 year old trying to play up to U11. Seems physically overpowered and his technical ability is ok but nowhere near the rest of the options.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Sorry I missed this. This is what’s great about soccer. They don’t make you wait. With all of their competitions, they announce the draw for the next rounds immediately. The draw is Friday morning.

the draw contains 4 pots.

pot 1 is the top 7 teams in the world rankings + Qatar. Belgium, France, England, Brazil, argentina and Spain are in this pot. Portugal is still pending for the final spot in the pot if they win tomorrow. This guarantees that they won’t be drawn into the same group with each other and will all lead their own groups. The USA, who is #13 in the world, could slide up into that pot if things break their way but it’s unlikely. Hard to imagine but even Mexico can get into that pot ahead of us. The best we can hope for is the US gets drawn into Qatars group, thus avoiding the other top ranked teams.

crazy to imagine though that the #6 team in the world (Italy) won’t be there, and #8 Portugal still may not. We will find out tomorrow if Portugal advances. They probably will.

there will be a group of death though. There always is.
North macedonia ranked 66th knocked Italy out so for the second straight world cup they wont be playing. Hard to believe after winning the Euros in 2020 they could choke again.

North macedonia ranked 66th knocked Italy out so for the second straight world cup they wont be playing. Hard to believe after winning the Euros in 2020 they could choke again.
Screw Italy. I hate them more than I hate any other team. Bunch of cry babies who spend too much time working on their hair for the game while rolling on the ground like babies as if someone just shot them. Their style of play pisses me off with how they use that rolling around to completely change momentum. Go back and watch what they did to Belgium in euros with that bullshit style of play. They can stay home sipping espresso, fixing their hair and crying about missing another World Cup.

Word on the street is that Argentina will be coming to America for two friendlies prior to the WC. One vs Mexico and one vs the US.

Reactions: Pitt79
Word on the street is that Argentina will be coming to America for two friendlies prior to the WC. One vs Mexico and one vs the US.
I actually attended a game in Athens, Greece, 1987 I believe? Greece vs. Argentina in a friendly, Greece won 2-0. One of the first soccer games I ever saw in person.

For the people who are interested in watching the game tomorrow, if you can believe my on screen guide CBS has changed it's mind and has decided to show the Costa Rica game on CBSSN after all. It says that they are replaying the Mexico game at 6:30, half hour pregame show at 8:30, the game at 9:00, and an hour post game show afterwards.

All the games aren't done yet, but this looks like what they pots will be:

Pot A
Qatar
Brazil
Belgium
France
Argentina
England
Spain
Portugal

Pot B
Netherlands
Mexico
Denmark
Germany
USA
Switzerland
Uruguay
Croatia

Pot C
Poland
Senegal
Iran
Japan
Morocco
Serbia
South Korea
Canada

Pot D
Tunisia
Cameroon
Ghana
Ecuador
Saudi Arabia
Wales/Scotland/Ukraine
South America 5th (Peru/Columbia/Chile, decided tonight) or Asia 5th (Australia/UAE winner)
Costa Rica or New Zealand/Solomon Islands winner

It looks like with Nigeria losing out to Ghana today (which caused the fans in Nigeria to riot) that the Canucks might sneak into Pot C. Either them or Tunisia or Cameroon is going to be that last team in Pot C. Without going through all the math they might need to beat Panama tomorrow to get that spot.

Pot A
Qatar
Brazil
Belgium
France
Argentina
England
Spain
Portugal

Pot B
Netherlands
Mexico
Denmark
Germany
USA
Switzerland
Uruguay
Croatia

Pot C
Poland
Senegal
Iran
Japan
Morocco
Serbia
South Korea
Canada

Pot D
Tunisia
Cameroon
Ghana
Ecuador
Saudi Arabia
Wales/Scotland/Ukraine
South America 5th (Peru/Columbia/Chile, decided tonight) or Asia 5th (Australia/UAE winner)

It looks like with Nigeria losing out to Ghana today (which caused the fans in Nigeria to riot) that the Canucks might sneak into Pot C. Either them or Tunisia or Cameroon is going to be that last team in Pot C. Without going through all the math they might need to beat Panama tomorrow to get that spot.
I’m gonna post this on the free board to get some discussion going before Friday.

I’m gonna post this on the free board to get some discussion going before Friday.

World Cup 2022 Group Stage Draw Simulator

I love playing with simulators like that, but the first run I do it has the UAE beating Australia, Solomon Islands beating New Zealand and UAE beating Colombia. The chances of any one of those happening is pretty small, let alone all three. I'll bet you could get some pretty high odds on that parlay!

I love playing with simulators like that, but the first run I do it has the UAE beating Australia, Solomon Islands beating New Zealand and UAE beating Colombia. The chances of any one of those happening is pretty small, let alone all three. I'll bet you could get some pretty high odds on that parlay!
The first one I ran had the US in a group with Qatar. Sign me up.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I did so well with the other two starting lineups, I’m going to ruin it by predicting this match because I have no feel for things now that we don’t need a great performance. In fairness to Berhalter, he got both lineups right for the most part. But I’ll take a shot here for tonight :
Steffen
Bello Zimmerman Robinson Yedlin
Adams Acosta Musah
Pulisic Pefok Weah

They are playing basically a full first team

Steffen
Robinson Robinson Zimmerman Yedlin
Musah Adams Acosta
Pulisic Pepi Weah

It looks like Costa Rica is not starting ANY of the guys who are on a yellow. A couple of them aren't even on the bench.

The Costa Rican federation is showing their formation as something like a 5-2-2-1 or maybe a 5-4-1.

Screw Italy. I hate them more than I hate any other team. Bunch of cry babies who spend too much time working on their hair for the game while rolling on the ground like babies as if someone just shot them. Their style of play pisses me off with how they use that rolling around to completely change momentum. Go back and watch what they did to Belgium in euros with that bullshit style of play. They can stay home sipping espresso, fixing their hair and crying about missing another World Cup.
Well said. I too am glad Italy won’t be in Qatar.

For the people who are interested in watching the game tomorrow, if you can believe my on screen guide CBS has changed it's mind and has decided to show the Costa Rica game on CBSSN after all. It says that they are replaying the Mexico game at 6:30, half hour pregame show at 8:30, the game at 9:00, and an hour post game show afterwards.
I was shocked. I turned on the TV and started scrolling down to Telemundo and I see, in all of its glory, CBSSN is showing the game.

Pot A
Qatar
Brazil
Belgium
France
Argentina
England
Spain
Portugal

Pot B
Netherlands
Mexico
Denmark
Germany
USA
Switzerland
Uruguay
Croatia

Pot C
Poland
Senegal
Iran
Japan
Morocco
Serbia
South Korea
Canada

Pot D
Tunisia
Cameroon
Ghana
Ecuador
Saudi Arabia
Wales/Scotland/Ukraine

Its a travesty that African power Nigeria didn't make it. You know how I feel about North Africa teams stealing bids.

2 of the 5 North African teams made it and only 3 of the 49 Sub-Saharan African teams made it. And really, North Africa should have qualified 4 of their 5. Senagales lasers kept Egypt out and Algeria gave up goals in the 120th and 124th to lose a 1 goal lead on aggregate.

Its a travesty that African power Nigeria didn't make it. You know how I feel about North Africa teams stealing bids.

2 of the 5 North African teams made it and only 3 of the 49 Sub-Saharan African teams made it. And really, North Africa should have qualified 4 of their 5. Senagales lasers kept Egypt out and Algeria gave up goals in the 120th and 124th to lose a 1 goal lead on aggregate.
Why is it a travesty that Nigeria didn't make it? Didn't they play games that if they win, they make it? And how do North Africa teams steal bids?

Who cares? It’s too bad Nigeria missed out but other than that I won’t lose sleep. Why should I?

US will draw Ghana as we seem to always do, and the universe will be right again.

Why is it a travesty that Nigeria didn't make it? Didn't they play games that if they win, they make it? And how do North Africa teams steal bids?

That's just it. The North Africa teams "steal" bids by winning the games. Tell me that's not a true travesty!

Nigeria didn't make the World Cup because they played a two game series with Ghana and couldn't win either of the two games.

That's just it. The North Africa teams "steal" bids by winning the games. Tell me that's not a true travesty!

Nigeria didn't make the World Cup because they played a two game series with Ghana and couldn't win either of the two games.
It’s a travesty!! No one else knows why, but SMF does.

• Haha
It’s a travesty!! No one else knows why, but SMF does.
Its a travesty because Nigeria is the "blue blood" of African soccer and they're fun to watch. Those North African teams bore me to tears. They have no skill, no big-time players (other than Salah) but have better coaching and team development so they beat the more skilled sub-Saharan African teams, whose players play in good Euro leagues. I don't like that there will be 5, possibly 6 Arab teams and only 3 Sub-Saharan teams. Arab Football blows.

Its a travesty because Nigeria is the "blue blood" of African soccer and they're fun to watch. Those North African teams bore me to tears. They have no skill, no big-time players (other than Salah) but have better coaching and team development so they beat the more skilled sub-Saharan African teams, whose players play in good Euro leagues. I don't like that there will be 5, possibly 6 Arab teams and only 3 Sub-Saharan teams. Arab Football blows.

Nigeria isn't in because they couldn't beat Ghana. Do you know where Ghana is?

Nigeria isn't in because they couldn't beat Ghana. Do you know where Ghana is?
That's not the point. The Arab countries should all be together. They all suck and they're all the same in that they're like 90% domestic based players who aren't good but play good enough as a team to beat more talented African teams. Boring AF to watch.

Its a travesty because Nigeria is the "blue blood" of African soccer and they're fun to watch.
"Fun to watch" doesn't matter at all, WINNING DOES. In your "made for TV" world, you'd send the USA to Europe and select WC teams by "fun to watch" and remove teams that won by a boring disciplined defensive method, You'd probably strip Greece of their 2004 Euro Cup for playing too boring. Blue Blood? Maybe reserve spots for Texas and Nebraska football in playoffs, to get the NAMES in there.

... 90% domestic based players who aren't good but play good enough as a team to beat more talented African teams. Boring AF to watch.
LOVE THAT! Love the skill guys getting pushed aside by TEAM PLAY! That is THE BEST thing that happens in sports!

That's not the point. The Arab countries should all be together. They all suck and they're all the same in that they're like 90% domestic based players who aren't good but play good enough as a team to beat more talented African teams. Boring AF to watch.
You're advocating for removing the Arab countries, that are IN AFRICA, from the African group, because they "are better coached, and play better together as a TEAM", and they eliminate the less well coached, less cohesive teams that have a few super skilled players? Going by your analysis, the Arab countries DESERVE the African bids and are better soccer TEAMS, meaning I want them in over some disorganized team with some SuperHero Drogba who might make a highlight real move.

You're advocating for removing the Arab countries, that are IN AFRICA, from the African group, because they "are better coached, and play better together as a TEAM", and they eliminate the less well coached, less cohesive teams that have a few super skilled players? Going by your analysis, the Arab countries DESERVE the African bids and are better soccer TEAMS, meaning I want them in over some disorganized team with some SuperHero Drogba who might make a highlight real move.
Basically yes. I dont want to see North African teams of players I never heard of and who all play in their shitty domestic leagues. Skill-wise, they are utter garbage. But they are organized defensively and usually capitalize on a mistake or 2 that the Sub-Saharan teams (which have 1 or 2 world stars plus all other players based in Europle) make. Yea, they play better as a team, so yea, they are better as a whole than the Sub-Saharan teams but they're so so boring.

They need to make an Arab Confederation. If not for Senagalese lasers and Algeria's choke job for the ages, 7 of the 32 teams would have been Arab teams and possibly 8 if UAE beats Australia and Peru. That's too many for players based in terrible leagues.

Basically yes. I dont want to see North African teams of players I never heard of and who all play in their shitty domestic leagues. Skill-wise, they are utter garbage. But they are organized defensively and usually capitalize on a mistake or 2 that the Sub-Saharan teams (which have 1 or 2 world stars plus all other players based in Europle) make. Yea, they play better as a team, so yea, they are better as a whole than the Sub-Saharan teams but they're so so boring.

They need to make an Arab Confederation. If not for Senagalese lasers and Algeria's choke job for the ages, 7 of the 32 teams would have been Arab teams and possibly 8 if UAE beats Australia and Peru. That's too many for players based in terrible leagues.
It's obviously the conclusion from all of this. SMF is anti Muslim. He is intolerant of Muslim's and their religion.

• Haha

That is just plain stupid, THE BETTER TEAMS DESERVE TO MAKE IT, doesn't matter if they are boring and have less skilled players, because THEY ARE BETTER, and it's the WORLD Cup, not the Exciting Players Cup, BEST TEAMS should be there. And WORLD STARS who dominate EPL highlight reels from countries that don't have good teams SHOULD NOT BE THERE.

It's obviously the conclusion from all of this. SMF is anti Muslim. He is intolerant of Muslim's and their religion.
I think he's OK with Muslims, but he's the fan that they reorganize and mess up sports for, fans like him are why Pitt doesn't play Penn State or WVU, and why the college conferences are reorganized and why why super stars are the focus of sports more than teams, I mean he seems to want to change qualifying to be based on getting "exciting" players and teams into the WC over the better teams that BEAT THEM, he's so out there with his "made for TV" world that he wants to move the USA to Europe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT